PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo and Conditioner

cmdinoto
February 21st, 2012, 03:14 PM
Hi everyone. I have a question. What are the good shampoos and conditioners? Are the ones they sell at the salon really better than the ones you can get at the drug store? Are there certain ingredients to avoid in shampoo and conditioner. The hair stylist told me that Pantene is bad for the hair, that it coats the hair in attempts to make it shiny, but repeated use has shown that it causes hair breakage because the wax is drying to the hair and breaking like candle wax. Well, I really like using Dove shampoo and conditioner but I hope it is good for your hair! :)

Mairéad
February 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM
The thing about stylists and beauty consultants blasting Pantene is that all those ingredients that cause "waxiness" is in just about every drugstore and salon hair product as well. That's simply -cone build up and can be remedied with a clarifying shampoo. There is no wax in Pantene, merely -cones, which many here use. Many here are in love with Pantene.

Now, on to your questions. Ingredients to avoid depend on the hair type involved and also one's degree in which natural products are important. Many avoid sulfates in shampoos because they can cause dry ends and over production of sebum from the scalp. Others prefer them. Some avoid -cones in conditioners but others can't be without them. Some people need protein in their conditioners, other's need to avoid them like the plague.

Dove will most likely have sulfates in the shampoo and -cones in the conditioner. If your hair seems happy then there is no need to fix something that isn't broken. ;)

My hair personally prefers sulfate free, -cone free, and protein free. Some of my favorite drugstore conditioners are Garnier Triple Nutrition and Tresseme Naturals Aloe and Avocado. One of my favorite salon conditioners is the Biolage Conditioning Balm. My favorite shampoo of all time is from the salon. It's Kenra Clarifying and Chelating but I only use that once every few weeks or so when my conditioners and coconut oil build up.

Synnovea
February 21st, 2012, 03:51 PM
It's more about trial and error in finding out which products cause your hair to respond positively.

I used to be a product junky until I found my match, Aveda Dry Remedy shampoo, conditioner, and hair mask. It's extremely pricey but I'm willing to shell out the extra clams because of how wonderfully strong, shiny, and long it's helped me grow my hair.

GaJunebug
February 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM
I'm betting it's not necessarily a good choice but my hair is responding to a cheapie at the moment. I use it as a CO wash ever so often and if I think I need more deep cleansing, I use shampoo and then condition.

It's Suave's knockoff of an Aveeda product. Rosemary and Mint- it's in a sage-ish green bottle and it smells heavenly and clean.

I'm finding that it's letting me stretch washes (either CO or CSC) by several days.

torrilin
February 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
Since you're typing yourself as a 3b... that's a fairly curly hair type. Often people with curly hair also have fairly dry and fragile hair. Depending on how you're using it, and exactly how delicate your hair is, the Dove may be fine, or it may be too stripping. If it's too stripping, your hair will break more easily, have more split ends, possibly be quite tangly... lots of symptoms.

Even if your hair is fine with it in terms of handling, if you want the curliest possible look, the Dove products may not work well for you. If you want the straightest possible look, they're a very good choice.

icallitbliss
February 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM
I say use whatever works. It depends on your hair type. Some people using Pantene might experience breakage and dryness, while others-- perfect results.

As for salon stuff, my favorite is Biolage. It's a bit expensive, but my hair feels the BEST when I use it. I love it so much. I'm trying to save money though, so I'm sticking to drugstore stuff. I've recently started using Garnier Triple Nutrition, as well as Trader Joe's Spa line. Both are relatively cheap.

The way I see it, if your hair is virgin, you can basically get away with using anything and it won't really do much, as long as you get a trim here and there. If you use a lot of dye, you might need something more moisturizing, and there are some great salon products on there to help that. Then again, you can also find some fantastic drugstore ones, as well. Depends on your preference and how much money you want to shell out.

If you like Dove, and it gives you good results, keep using it! It never hurts to try other stuff, though.

Saraya
February 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
Since I'm a hairdresser I'm a salon product junkie. The quality of the ingredients is much better in salon shampoos and conditioners. I love biolage, its a 10, and Paul Mitchell. I alternate between those depending on what I'm feeling for fragrance and what my hair needs.

|Xei
February 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM
I personally don't think salon products are necessarily superior to drug store products. I think it really just depends on how your hair reacts to the product. I've used both salon and drugstore products, and I like both. The one difference I've really noticed is that salon products seem to be more concentrated. When I was using the Pureology Hydrate shampoo, I only had to use a quarter-sized or smaller amount to get my hair clean. Now that I'm using Finesse (the sulfate-free one), I have to use twice that amount.