PDA

View Full Version : Dusty hair??

Cjatje
February 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone else who has dustyhair?
First I tought it was my brush who was too old, but now first day with my TT, I noticed it again, there are small dusparts in my hair? Even if I just washed it, it looks like I have dusty hair :s

iSuperHeroic
February 21st, 2012, 01:52 PM
It may be dandruff?

Kiwiwi
February 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
Do you see it in your hair when you look in the mirror or is it just noticablein your brush?

I notice some dust/lint(?) in my TT after a few days. Just a bit.
I think that's normal and I guess some have it more than others.

Cjatje
February 21st, 2012, 01:54 PM
No it's really dust like I see on my dressers and so..
I do have a dandruff problem, but it doesn't look alike?

aisha.christine
February 21st, 2012, 01:55 PM
I notice dust in my TT as well. Perhaps the Tangle Teezer just collects dust more noticeably than other brushes.

I also notice dust in my brush after I use it when I first wake up. I think it correlates with lint that I might pick up while I am sleeping, but I couldn't tell you a for sure answer. :shrug:

PixxieStix
February 21st, 2012, 02:01 PM
I've noticed this with my fiance's BBB, which is so dirty and gross I don't know how he uses it, and he won't let me throw it away, it attracts lint and stuff and puts it in his hair.

I also noticed it with my plastic wide tooth comb, I'll comb my hair with it, notice "dust" in my hair, and there was dust on the comb. I've just started 1) cleaning my bathroom more and 2) wiping off the comb prior to use.

Cjatje
February 21st, 2012, 02:04 PM
Your telling me my bathroom's dirty? ;)
Maybe it's just a leftover from my ofrmer brush I'll see then

Chromis
February 21st, 2012, 02:12 PM
I think this is pretty normal. I have "dusty" hair as well no matter what method or frequency I wash with. It doesn't seem to harm anything. I just clean my comb frequently.

spidermom
February 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I get dust and lint, especially if I oil. That's why I only oil my hair the day or several hours before washing it.

camillacamilla
February 21st, 2012, 02:22 PM
I have "dusty" hair, mainly because I am a pet groomer and a lot of pet hair/dander gets blown around by the force dryers at work. I look at my hair at work and my dark hair is covered by light dog hairs lol. Maybe if you have pets, you might be picking up more of their hair and dander in your hair.

heidi w.
February 21st, 2012, 02:23 PM
Finding lint in hair (or as some call it "dust") is somewhat normal. In the winter, I tend to find more lint in my hair than in summer. Just the blankets invoke lint, and the running of the furnace blows dust bits around, and it can end up in my hair. ETA: I had a new furnace installed, and I'm experiencing a LOT less dust/lint from the furnace. Replace the filter regularly too. AND if you can afford it, consider having the ducts vacuumed out once a year. END ETA

Just pull it out with your fingers. I find that often a tangle, at the center of it, is a tiny tidbit of lint. Most annoying. If it weren't for the lint, I'd have far fewer tangles, it seems

Another reason to wear it up.

heidi w.

Madora
February 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Anyone else who has dustyhair?
First I tought it was my brush who was too old, but now first day with my TT, I noticed it again, there are small dusparts in my hair? Even if I just washed it, it looks like I have dusty hair :s

Cjatje, could it possibly be due to what type of pillow you're sleeping on at night?

The tiny fibers sometimes can cause lint buildup..or maybe there might be another cause for the lint/dust.

You might want to wash off your TT before using it again.

WaterMusic
February 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM
Although I do get lint in my hair, I came to realize that most of the dust I saw in my brushes was accumulating there. It didn't matter how many times I washed them, they were always dusty. So now I use fabric bags to cover my brushes. It keeps them lint free! I recycle the packaging from hair toys that have been shipped to me, as long as the bag is the right size for a brush.

white.chocolate
February 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM
I got dusty hair only after I started to oil my length. I'm surprised I don't see anyone else complaining about oil leave-ins?? Maybe the benefits are worth it. I don't use a brush so removing dust is quite difficult. Anyway, if you're oiling, then it's pretty normal.

hairgoals
February 21st, 2012, 08:11 PM

Cjatje
February 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the reactions :) madora, I sleep with a coton pillow, but it's dark and the lint is white or grey.
I do hzve 2 cats maybe it comes from them.
And I use oils as a leave-in so maybe it's from that. Well, as long as you guys say it's not an issue, it's ok :)

Naiadryade
February 21st, 2012, 10:36 PM
I, too, get dusty hair. I live in a decently dusty house, so I just figure everything gets dust on it--and it's a very good reason to brush every day and keep your brush clean to get it out!

gracenotes
February 21st, 2012, 11:28 PM
I *always* have dust and lint in my hair, especially in the winter, no matter what I try to do to prevent it. My hair is just a lint magnet, I think. :rolleyes: No idea why it seems to get worse in the winter though. A BBB tends to remove it pretty effectively, sort of like vacuuming! :p

melusine963
February 22nd, 2012, 12:40 AM
Although I do get lint in my hair, I came to realize that most of the dust I saw in my brushes was accumulating there. It didn't matter how many times I washed them, they were always dusty. So now I use fabric bags to cover my brushes. It keeps them lint free! I recycle the packaging from hair toys that have been shipped to me, as long as the bag is the right size for a brush.

This sounds like a great idea! Normally I just leave my hair brush out on my dresser all week, bristles pointing up, and it collects a huge amount of dust that way. Every other week or so I have to give it a good clean.

Stagecoach
February 22nd, 2012, 05:32 AM
I get lint (or dust) in my hair too. As others have mentioned, oiling and winter seem to contribute to that a lot. Most of my tangles in the winter are due to a small lint particle. I really don't know anyway to prevent it. Only oiling the night before a wash and keeping it braided seems to help.

Cjatje
February 26th, 2012, 06:17 AM
here's a pic of my tt filled with dust (or lint?)
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af351/cjatje/haar/P2240023.jpg
sorry, can't get it smaller :s

ktani
February 26th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I do not get a lot of dust or lint in my hair. However, years ago, I had a heavy cotton duvet cover that was deep purple in colour. I started to notice purple lint everywhere in my bedroom. I saw some of it in my hair too.

It can be worse in winter when there is less air circulating with windows partially or fully closed.

Needless to say, I got rid of that duvet cover which had been washed several times and still caused a problem.

Using catnip tea and now mineral oil/baby oil drops when I am not using catnip to condition my hair means I am not seeing any lint in my hair again. My current comforter is part of my satin acetate bedding.

I used to notice lint years ago as well from kleenex or tissues I kept in the bedroom. That is paper dust.

There are fabrics that do produce a lot of lint besides cotton. My lint filters in my washing machine and dryer get full after doing laundry.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 08:53 AM
There are fabrics that do produce a lot of lint besides cotton. My lint filters in my washing machine and dryer get full after doing laundry.

Make SURE, people, that one regularly cleans the lint filter in a dryer. It's one of the more common reasons for house fires. Also, go to the exterior of the house and clean it out from that end too. Make sure the fitting for the stuff to go out the side of the house is made of an appropriate material, such as aluminum, I believe. Not a plastic, which is way more flammable. (the pipe from dryer to the exterior of the house is what I'm talking about.)

In some areas, dust and lint is produced almost daily. My area, my house, is such a place. Spring cleaning makes waaay more sense here.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Caitie, saw the pix of dust in your hair tool. What's a TT? All these acronymns people use. Eventually we won't be actually spelling anymore ! LOL <nothing intended personal to you; just something I notice in the world.>

That's somewhat normal dust. You can use a finer toothed comb and rake that through the bristles and get rid of the bits, and keep the tool in a drawer or in a little bag that ties off to keep the dust out. That's helps. Better than keeping it on a dresser or sink edge.

You might consider washing this hair tool too.

Are you essentially therefore brushing to detangle your hair? Looks like it. Us uber long-haired gals will advise, in general, against brushing. We generally recommend combing.

heidi w.

lapushka
February 27th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Caitie, saw the pix of dust in your hair tool. What's a TT? All these acronymns people use. Eventually we won't be actually spelling anymore ! LOL <nothing intended personal to you; just something I notice in the world.>

I think she means a Tangle Teezer, the brush without a handle that's so popular. :D

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I think she means a Tangle Teezer, the brush without a handle that's so popular. :D

I wasn't positive. Thank you. I've never even seen a Tangle Teezer. I will continue to detangle manually. I know it works and doesn't harm hair.

heidi w.

ladyshep
February 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Yes! Dust is attracted to my hair. Especially if I have it in a braid. I can find pieces of dust built up in the grooves of my braid similar to dust bunnies. SO, what I do is I wash my hair every other day because I am allergic to dust. I also put it up in some updo. That seems to cut down on the dust in my hair.

RoseOfClare
February 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
ive actually notice my hair collects dust throughout the day lol. Its not too noticeable to me because I have blonde hair but when I comb it, it does help cause lil tangles in my fine hair, I've recently picked up a slightly finer tooth wood comb n I've noticed it less. Just think anything can pick up lint or dust throughout the day.

Avital88
February 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
i have that problem when i oil or when i have build up.

Kizuna
February 27th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I've always noticed that my brushes collected dust in them but it wasn't until I got a boar bristle brush that I realised that it might be my hair that's dusty. We have a lot of dust here (my famliy lights incense sticks everyday) and we're not super cleaners, but I never see the dust in my hair I only see it when I brush and it ends up in the brush. This isn't something that bothers me, should it? My brush looks way way way worse than cjatjes brush.I really do need to clean it, haha. I think i'll clean it and follow Heidi w's tip with fabric bags for the brushes.

lilbeef
February 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I get dust and lint, especially if I oil. That's why I only oil my hair the day or several hours before washing it.

I never even thought there was a connection. I too oil my hair and noticed dust . Perhaps I shld do this the day of wash only too. Thanks For mentioning this!