PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Wahes

UP Lisa
February 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
How can I do a scalp wash without getting the length wet???

1hunky5monkeys
February 21st, 2012, 12:41 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85

Peter
February 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
Amoretti's article is a great guide on how to do a scalp wash.

I've experimented a bit since I wanted to be able to scalp wash while taking a shower. What works best for me is to do a loose braid then wrap it in a T-shirt. Then I just shower and shampoo as normal (facing towards the showerhead). My length and ends stay happy and dry. :)

UP Lisa
February 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Funny a t-shirt would keep it dry.:confused:

Amoretti's article is a great guide on how to do a scalp wash.

I've experimented a bit since I wanted to be able to scalp wash while taking a shower. What works best for me is to do a loose braid then wrap it in a T-shirt. Then I just shower and shampoo as normal (facing towards the showerhead). My length and ends stay happy and dry. :)

Fairytale
February 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the thread this was very useful and a very wonderful idea !

heidi w.
February 21st, 2012, 01:05 PM
I've scalp washed in the past. It saves a lot of time, and a lot of waiting for the hair to dry.

I do full and partial scalp washes.

A key element is Face the Shower Water and bend forward into the water to get the top of the head wet.

I've held my length high; I've wrapped the length in a shower cap; I've put the length in a bun on the lower back of my head.

One thing to notice is that the back of the head hair generally doesn't become as icky as fast as the top of the head nor the hair closer to the forehead hairline, somewhat in front of the ears.

So to perform an amended scalp wash to save the most time, I don't even wash the back of the head hair since it takes longer to look icky and I can cover some of that up with an updo. If I have to be out and about or somewhere in a hurry, the short version of the scalp wash really is terrific because I can pretty rapidly look reasonably decent for being seen in public.

Proceed per a normal hair wash, leaning forward into the water, and only wet the hair on top of the head that's in front of the ears. Kind of draw an imaginary line from ear to ear over the top of the head, and that's basically the line to stop wetting and washing the hair.

Also, in scalp washing, know that repeated scalp washes will likely build a little residue product up in the hair, and typically a full hair wash will clear all this out. One probably will not need to clarify the hair. I find that after a time, a full hair wash is needed because rinsing product off can sometimes become somewhat difficult to reliably complete.

Just FYI stuff that the article linked may or may not mention. I don't know. I didn't read it.

heidi w.

UP Lisa
February 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Thank you all for the help. I always seem to get my hari wet part-way down the length.

mira-chan
February 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thank you all for the help. I always seem to get my hari wet part-way down the length.
You're not the only one. I've yet to get the scalp wash thing. I've tried but it either doesn't clean the scalp well enough or gets my whole length wet. T-shirt and baggy method tried. I guess I'm just bad at handling the hair during the wash and have extra stubborn scalp crud. :shrug:

UP Lisa
February 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
I don't have a hand held shower head, so I can't really use that method.

Peter
February 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM
I don't have a hand held shower head, so I can't really use that method.I started out with Amoretti's method using a bucket of water instead of a removable showerhead.

Spring
February 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM
To keep tangles at a minimum,

1. I make a braid starting four inches down from the base of my nape
(this allows the scalp hairs to be loose so there's room to massage the scalp and for me braiding low helps to keep manipulation low for airdrying)

2. I wrap the braid with a plastic grocery bag and secure it with a sock ponytail holder

3. Holding the braid up above my head the entire time, I do my regular CO or WO wash.

4. Still holding the braid up above my head, I use my other hand to gently squeeze excess water, then I wrap my hair in a towel to absorb more water while I continue to shower.

With this method, the last 8-9 inches of hair remains dry. HTH :)