PDA

View Full Version : For those of you growing/have grown out a pixie cut...

icallitbliss
February 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo2.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f90/icallitbliss/photo3.jpg

(Please excuse the lack makeup and black eye...)

I cut my hair into a pixie in August 2011. It's been about 6 months since then, and I've had a few trims to get rid of the mullet.

I'm going crazy with my hair this length!! I'm trying to grow it out to a bob, but I can't stand having the back longer than the front. :(

Honestly I just want to be able to put it into a ponytail again so I don't have to think about it anymore, but I can't even do that much.

How long do you guys think it's gonna take till the back evens up with the front, and I can have an actual bob?

Bunnysaur
February 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM
I got a pixie around the same time, but I never trimmed to get rid of the mullet. At it's longest, my hair is (in back) just barely past my shoulders, but the front is just reaching my chin.
So your's will probably even out in about 6 months or so... If you want to grow it to a bob, you'll have to just put up with the back being longer for a while... Sorry! :(

FrozenBritannia
February 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
My hair was that long at the beginning of june. by the end of July I could out it in a bit of a ponytail, very small, with pieces out. Its borderline APL now, so don't despair! :)

Fairytale
February 20th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I had a pixie also and I know its fustrating this stage.

It toke me a good 10 months to even out and have a
chin to shoulder lenght Bob .

What helped me through the awkward stages were
my headbands they will become your best friends!

julya
February 20th, 2012, 06:53 PM
When I was growing out my pixie I cut the back a lot, and I used gel to keep it out of my face. I think in a few more months you will be able to do a tiny pony tail. Good luck!

elbow chic
February 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM
oh... I'd guess four to six months, depending on how fast your hair grows and short you want the resulting bob to be.

Meantime, you can embrace its mulletyness, think of it as an ironic cultural statement (who died and got to declare having hair longer in the back than the front is a freakin mortal sin, anyway?! My mom actually LIKED my mullet, asked "what kind of hairdo do you call that?" uh, six months of overgrowth on a formerly-cute pixie, mom. :laugh: )

or get scarves/cute hats/headbands/barrettes

or just power thru it on sheer gumption. or some combo of all the above.

Six months will pass in the blink of an eye. Plus, pretty soon you'll be able to do kind of a half-up, and that helped me make mine look less "mullety" even when it still really was.

Bunnysaur
February 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
or get scarves/cute hats/headbands/barrettes

or just power thru it on sheer gumption. or some combo of all the above.

YES. SCARVES. SCARVES ARE YOUR FRIEND.
Pixies just suck like that. They're cute until you get bored with them, and then growing them out seems to take forever.

holothuroidea
February 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I also had my hair cut to a pixie in August 2011. I only trimmed the mullet once in November.

The back of it is almost at shoulder now, and the shortest parts reach my ear lobes. There's quite a bit of difference in the layers. If you can find the shortest bits of your hair and measure them, then measure the length to where you want your hair to be- that's how many inches you have left to grow. Most hair grows 1/2 inch a month if you want to figure out approximately how long it would take.

I've been debating the bob. I know I want my hair all one length at some point, but I don't know how exactly I'm going to go about that yet.

NormaJean
February 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Oh.... I hated the mid lengths too. I wore a lot of headbands to keep the mullet in check, and I got a lot of trims. Best thing you can do is find a way to keep the shorter layers pulled back so they're not so noticeably short in comparison. For me, I tried to keep it all at chin length until the front and back caught up, but then it just fro'd out because of my specific texture. Your hair looks like it likes to lay down and be good, though, so I don't think you'd have to worry about that part. :-D

If you're determined not to trim anything to even it out, I'm not sure when it will all catch up. Probably when it hits your collar?

Much sympathies, sister! This too will pass!

spidermom
February 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I got a trim every 6 to 8 weeks while growing out a pixie, which took me from short layers to longer layers. I think it took a year to go from pixie to a shoulder-length layered style. By 3 years, I was at BSL without layers.

longhairedwolf
February 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM
There's a Super Shorties thread here that you can join for support while in the growing out phase. There's tons of people in the same boat, and you can share tips and encouragement.

longhairedwolf
February 20th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Here it is...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405

Anastasiya24
February 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I know how you feel! I got a very short pixie cut shorter than yours, it must of been 1/2 inch long on the sides and back and 1 inch in the front framing my face. It took me a little over a year to grow it out to shoulder length which is where I am currently today. My hair is about 1/4an inch past my shoulder. It's a long process. I had such a mullet as it grew down to my ears. I just tried my best to ignore it and tell myself it will pass. I wish you luck!

auroraclio
February 20th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Took me a year to go from pixie to shoulder with many, many trims of the back in between. I could not bear to have the back long at all, so I got trims every two months.

lundmir
February 21st, 2012, 12:03 AM
I cut it from tailbone to a short pixie on July 2011, because I had finally decided to leave it black and never dye again.

Then I went swimming in thermal water, and the dye disappeared, leaving me a greenish gray mess. If I dyed it again it would be completely destroyed, so I just cut it.

Now I have an almost shoulder length bob, with two trims of an inch and a half each because I hated the awkward stages. I'm also going to buy clip in hair extensions and play with them for a while, so I don't feel as miserable as I do at the lack of length. It should be fun!

Barefoot
February 21st, 2012, 12:34 AM
I decided to stop cutting it and stick out the bad times. I ended up most days twisting and pinning the sides back so it looked less 'mullety'.
It is only now long enough to do a half up and the rest in a low pony.

Valorie
February 21st, 2012, 01:06 AM
I put stuff in it to make it look more texturized and less Mullet but really the only thing to do in that case is to have more patience (I know, it seems to take forever). It will happen!

Tota
February 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM
I so know how you feel :( It took me about a year to get from pixie to bob and it was the hardest hair stage for me ever. I was trimming to get rid of mullet every 3-4 months too, but my shortest layers were left untouched. I have photos of that in my hair album if you're interested: two months after pixie cut (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9452&pictureid=122680), mullet stage (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9452&pictureid=122681) and FINALLY bob (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9452&pictureid=122682). My hair grows only about 6 iches a year.

But you can use that time to learn so many cute hairstyles and to play with every length you'll have :)