PDA

View Full Version : The hairtype help thread

terylenerose
February 20th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have seen a lot of threads asking for help with hairtyping. This is all well and good, but I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where anyone can come and ask for help with their hairtype. Also, please forgive me if there is already a thread like this and shouldn't be another one. I haven't seen anything of the sort as yet. I know there is a hairtyping guide, but I think it's okay to have a thread for it as well because there are already so many.
Now, I'm not much of an expert on hairtyping myself, although you can by all means ask me for advice. I am in need of help with my own hairtype. When I came here, I put down 2b M ii as my type, just as a wild guess. Well, it turned out that 2b was too straight and ii was too thin, so that got changed to 2c M ii/iii. But at this point I consider myself too curly for 2c, so I am down as 2c/3a. I am still not sure whether to change that to 3a. I have no idea if I should actually be F/M because I am not good at figuring out strand thickness. I would like to re-examine the volume issue again when my hair is longer, because I think I might actually be iii. I have no idea what any of my classifiers should be.

terylenerose
February 22nd, 2012, 05:20 PM
Bumping this thread. Not because I'm mad or snippy or anything, but so people see it more. :)
Just wanted to add that I will be coming by here with pictures of my airdried hair at its curliest. Also, I think my hair curls better when it's really clean, because when I just do a WO wash like I did today it looks like a 2b/2c. I used cocoa powder as a dry shampoo before the wash, but that didn't seem to help things.
ETA: I spent some more time trying to figure out my strand thickness, and I know for certain that I have at least 2 or 3 different thicknesses of hair on my head. The funny thing is that they are all, as far as I can tell, medium. I know a few of my hairs are fine, nape hair (which is also about an i/ii for whatever reason) included, and some of them are thickish. But they all feel about the same, like cotton threads of various thicknesses. I come across the occasional hard-to-feel hair, but for the most part they all feel medium. I have never felt a single wiry one.