PDA

View Full Version : Moms with long hair

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I was thinking about this last night as I was falling asleep-
What do the long haired moms here do with their hair while taking care of their kids?

I mean- Do you wash your hair less? Not oil it as much? Henna it less? Brush it less? (because you have less time?, or did it how much time you spend on your hair not change at all?)

Also, did you find you couldn't wear certain hair toys- ie. like some hair sticks because you worried about them being pointy?

Thoughts, experiences, advice- please share! :)

elbow chic
February 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
My hair has gotten longer the more kids I've had, since cutting it involves hiring a $$ sitter and spending bunches of money at the salon, and I simply can't be bothered anymore. :laugh: That's actually how I grew out a pixie-- I was 25, had two kids under two and my hair was the LEAST of my problems. About the time my second baby started sleeping enough for me to come out of my stupor, there was enough for a long bob.

I am a benign-neglecter... doing a bunch of stuff to mine doesn't seem to improve it much anyway.

I do wear forks and sticks and just teach them to seek permission before playing with Mama's hair or hair-stuff. ;) It's sweet, actually, my oldest son will ask "Mama, can I pet your hair?"

As to proper, gentle detangling, sometimes I do get in a hurry and wind up snapping a few in my haste... but I figure that has more to do with poor planning on my part than with motherhood itself.

Narya
February 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I will follow this thread closely.

I've been told by some family members that I will just give up and cut it when I have my baby, and I'm all set to prove them wrong. It made me start to wonder, though: will I have enough time? will the hairtoys be safe?
I think I will have a short list of easy and fast updos (english braid, nautilus bun, sock bun, hairagami bun... and I hope I come up with some more) that do not need pointy sticks and that I can go to. I don't think washing will be an issue for me, as I wash once a week: somebody can sure entertain the kid for an hour while I do so! I'm not planning on doing any treatments. In fact, I gave up henna thinking of this (in part).

FrozenBritannia
February 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
When my hair was waist length, I wore it up a lot because of infants having such grabby little fingers, and its so scary (I thought) when they get them wrapped around a hair and the tip starts changing colour.. I didn't have hair sticks but I don't see why they would be a problem.

Of course, if you are really worried about the pointy end, you could buy one of those add on pencil erasers and fit it on the end once it is in your hair :D maybe a nice star shaped one? Lol

Katze
February 20th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I've mostly kept my hair long as a mom because I WANT it long, darnit (even if it doesn't seem to want to be longer than APL) and because short looks ugly on me (large head, round face, short neck, broad shoulders).

I've been told by some family members that I will just give up and cut it when I have my baby, and I'm all set to prove them wrong. It made me start to wonder, though: will I have enough time? will the hairtoys be safe?
I think I will have a short list of easy and fast updos (english braid, nautilus bun, sock bun, hairagami bun... and I hope I come up with some more) that do not need pointy sticks and that I can go to. I don't think washing will be an issue for me, as I wash once a week: somebody can sure entertain the kid for an hour while I do so! I'm not planning on doing any treatments. In fact, I gave up henna thinking of this (in part).

When you have a baby, any kind of high-maintenance ANYTHING goes out the window. My DD is almost three, has just started sleeping better, and I have only just gone back to regular SMTs.

Even finding time to WASH it was a pain, so I can't imagine having to spend time styling a short 'do...yet I see many, many moms who apparently do...and have acrylic or at least manicured nails, full makeup, perfect clothes. I guess that is just not me, I don't like to feel like I HAVe to do high maintenance, baby or not.

When she was tiny I did have a lot of time to keep my nails nice and to do S and Ds, while nursing!

One of the reasons many moms cut is, i think, because of the postpartum shed. If you lose over half your hair as I did, and are left with straggly, used-to-be-long, really ugly hair and don't have time for it anyway, the desire to cut could be very seductive. In my case I often strongly considered shaving my head and starting over, my hair was so horrible. As it is, I am only just now recovering from that shed - two years after it ended. And may not ever have 'long' hair because of it!

WaterMusic
February 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I have got to mention squigglies (http://www.etsy.com/shop/LarksHairSticks) here, they are awesome if you are worried about poking other people with sticks or forks.

They are my SO's favourite hair toy, just because he gets stabbed less when I am wearing them.

I'm not a mum, so I can't speak to any of the rest of it!

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
One of the reasons many moms cut is, i think, because of the postpartum shed. If you lose over half your hair as I did, and are left with straggly, used-to-be-long, really ugly hair and don't have time for it anyway, the desire to cut could be very seductive. In my case I often strongly considered shaving my head and starting over, my hair was so horrible. As it is, I am only just now recovering from that shed - two years after it ended. And may not ever have 'long' hair because of it!

You have seriously just scared me... Gah!:(

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I have got to mention squigglies (http://www.etsy.com/shop/LarksHairSticks) here, they are awesome if you are worried about poking other people with sticks or forks.

They are my SO's favourite hair toy, just because he gets stabbed less when I am wearing them.

I'm not a mum, so I can't speak to any of the rest of it!

I've seen those, but HOW do you use them?!

woolyleprechaun
February 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
As a mum of four kids, I think I qualify! I only wash once a week, so its not much of a problem. I henna once a month, and thats fine because I just stick a bobble hat on for a few hours and carry on with my stuff :) Ive never had a hair accsessory related injury problem or anything, so realy nothing has changed since having kids!

PrairieRose
February 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I think in the beginning wearing it up a lot helps, because of lack of time and it being in the way. I think you can still do the things you like to do, you just learn to do them differently, work around the baby. If your hair stick are pointy that could be a problem. I had on that is a little too long and pointy and it would poke my son when I put him on my shoulder, but my shorter ones are not a problem.
Overall I think it's important to be you but learn new ways to make it work with your new family:)

Firefly
February 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Mine are older now, but when the were younger I avoided hairsticks. As it is I've poked my dh a couple of time when hugging lol. I didn't want to poke the littles. :D I wore a lot of messy buns and braids to keep it out of the way; it worked just fine. As for hair routine, I didn't change it -- whatever I was doing at the time I kept doing.

leslissocool
February 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I had twins, and there is NO WAY I could have kept my sanity with short hair. I gave up heat styling, and anything that takes more than 10 seconds to do.

I put it up on a braid, with tiny clips. It doesn't' get in the way of anything, my kids never got poked with sticks mostly because I didn't use them. However you got to remember, short hair gets in your face (even layers, anything short). When your kid has a poop explosion, the last thing you want to do is deal with hair on your eyes. You can get poop all over your hair, and when you are exhausted from lack of sleep excessive showering takes time away from the bed. I was the biggest lazy zombie ever! ETA: I got less than 2 hours of sleep at night though because of the two of them, so don't get scared! I'm sure you'll get more rest than I did!

my advice is be in the position where you can do a cinnamon bun, and keep it up ALL THE TIME. Lose hairs (long or short) get caught on the baby's toes and fingers and they get really uncomfortable. My friend with short hair (she cut from waist to chin) complained about that a lot, she did shed and the hair was everywhere. I kept mine up all the time, it never happened to me since I brushed in the bathroom and away from the twins.

About the shedding, some women don't shed AT ALL. I didn't, I actually had alopecia when pregnant (an actual bald spot) and I shed like crazy, then after my hair grew super fast.

ETA: I wash my hair once or twice a week. I also oil and so on. My longest shower is 25 minutes. I put my hair up and shower when I don't wash my hair, and it takes like 2 minutes. My routine is the same, I oil twice a week. I found the longer my hair is, the easier to take care of because I don't have to style it.

serverus
February 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
You have seriously just scared me... Gah!:(

You shouldn't be worried. I'v got iii hair too and I shedded a lot after my kids but I not bald :happydance:

I didn't have it as long (only bsl) as I have it now.
Come to think of it, I had past bsl hair when I was a teenager. I'm now 33 years old.:)

Oh I do think it's easier to wear your hair up every day. Than to have it above shoulder lenght. I had it that short and even shorter. The bummer is the hairstyling time in morning and the visits to the stylist. If your baby cries in the morning you don't want to be in the bathroom styling your hair.

PoliticalPilot
February 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I've had long hair (waist length) off and on for more than 10 years. After my first child was born, I cut it because of the PP shedding--scared the daylights out of me and was so depressing to comb it well and end up with piles of hair. But after my next one was born, I decided to grow it out again. It may not be quite as thick as it was before, but it is still quite thick. I am going to keep it long after this baby is born--and hopefully I can make it through the PP shedding without chopping any length off. :-)
I don't really think having children has changed how/how often I take care of my hair. I wash it at night, a few times a week and add my Nightblooming Panacea afterwards. I still brush it well, and I'm not afraid of sticks or forks unless they are especially long. I wear it up in a bun with a fork, or down in a braid pretty much all the time. I don't just keep it down and loose very often though, because while my son loves petting it, it also tends to get accidently pulled a lot more often. :-P

HuggyBear
February 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I've got 3 kids ages 2-13. My hair has gotten longer with each of them. Most times I just put it up and forget it until it's time to wash which for me is every 2-3 days. Luckily, I have never had postpartum shedding. I never considered cutting my hair because I had a baby. However, during the first few months, I only cared about sleep....precious, precious sleep. As long as it was pretty much clean and combed, I really didn't think of my hair very much. :)

Mesmerise
February 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I had long hair after having my kids. Actually, I did cut it short after the 3rd, but that had nothing to do with having young children, and everything to do with feeling like a change (and bleaching the crap out of my hair :rolleyes:).

To me doing long hair really doesn't need to take a long time. I would just do a ponytail, or twist it up into a bun and secure it with a scrunchie, or maybe use one of those claw clips or Ibis clips to hold it. Easy!

Back in those days I was a daily washer, and having kids didn't stop me doing that. I just made sure I was up early enough to shower before my husband left for work.

Now I DID have postpartum shedding with each child, and I do remember cutting back quite a bit, particularly after #1 when my hair was quite long.

However, I naturally have much less hair than you... so even if you lose quite a bit, it probably won't show up in your hair's thickness as much!! If you've got a 4" circ and lose 1" you still have a fairly respectable 3' circ. If you drop from 3" to 2" it's starting to look quite thin and see through...Well I will clarify that a bit... it isn't straight away that it looks bad, it looks bad when the lost hair starts growing again, making the top part thicker and bushier, which separates the thinner ends, making them look even thinner. So for me it wasn't directly the PP shed... it was months later when my ends started looking much thinner because the thicker hair at the top made it poofier. If that makes any sense?! I still think that if you've got enough hair that the length never gets see through, there's no reason to chop much off after a shed!

FrozenBritannia
February 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I had long hair after having my kids. Actually, I did cut it short after the 3rd, but that had nothing to do with having young children, and everything to do with feeling like a change (and bleaching the crap out of my hair :rolleyes:).

To me doing long hair really doesn't need to take a long time. I would just do a ponytail, or twist it up into a bun and secure it with a scrunchie, or maybe use one of those claw clips or Ibis clips to hold it. Easy!

Back in those days I was a daily washer, and having kids didn't stop me doing that. I just made sure I was up early enough to shower before my husband left for work.

Now I DID have postpartum shedding with each child, and I do remember cutting back quite a bit, particularly after #1 when my hair was quite long.

However, I naturally have much less hair than you... so even if you lose quite a bit, it probably won't show up in your hair's thickness as much!! If you've got a 4" circ and lose 1" you still have a fairly respectable 3' circ. If you drop from 3" to 2" it's starting to look quite thin and see through...Well I will clarify that a bit... it isn't straight away that it looks bad, it looks bad when the lost hair starts growing again, making the top part thicker and bushier, which separates the thinner ends, making them look even thinner. So for me it wasn't directly the PP shed... it was months later when my ends started looking much thinner because the thicker hair at the top made it poofier. If that makes any sense?! I still think that if you've got enough hair that the length never gets see through, there's no reason to chop much off after a shed!

I never had a pp shed either. I showered and washed my hair every day, I would strap the baby into the bouncy chair or baby carseat after a feed and burps, and then haul it into the bathroom. I kept the fan on so the baby didn't get steamed lol. My kids were VERY content in there. My oldest loved the sound of running water so much, when he was overtired it was the only way to stop him crying and put him to sleep, I would turn on the shower and sit in the bathroom holding him till he dropped off. (usually about five minutes).

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Whew. I'm hoping that will be the case as well... I haven't had the stoppage of shedding that some pregnant women talk about, and my hair has been shedding tons... I'm hoping that that means I won't have a huge shed later on.

WaterMusic
February 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I've seen those, but HOW do you use them?!
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGiorrOG4bI) does a pretty good job of explaining. I find it works better with a Nautilus than a Lazy Wrap, but to each their own. It takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out it is fast and easy to do.

teal
February 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Ohhh benign neglect, how I love thee. It works, lol.

Seriously though I wash my hair about every 7-10 days and water only in between times. The key phrase for coexistence of long hair and young kids is "out of reach" or, in my case, "out of the way". Thus my hair is braided and/or bunned the vast majority of the time. Oiling in some ways is actually easier - if I want to do a heavy oiling I just do it then braid it up and bun it. I can wear it like that for many hours if not days. If I want to do a deep treatment during the day I can braid and bun it and then put on a shower cap and then a scarf wrapped up prettily. No one's the wiser and everything gets done. Then I can take the time to wash thoroughly when the kids are in bed.

I would like to wear it down more, for both mine and DH's sakes. I think I'll be able to soon as the baby is now walking and doesn't want/have to be carried everywhere.

Avital88
February 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I just weared it up more so its not in the way,and i did everything i normally did.

ladyfey
February 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
My hair was almost at waist when the twins were born, it is now just past knee (needs a trim, I'm staying at knee) I wash every other day, but it is always up. Before the kids I sometimes wore it down or half up - no more - it is ALWAYS up now. I shower after the kids go to bed, just take the baby monitor with me. I let it dry while I sleep. If it helps you worry less about a big shed post partum, I did not experience that at all. I noticed a bit of an increase in shedding, not too bad and it didn't last for too long. Hopefully you won't have much either! I wear hairsticks almost every day and haven't had a problem with them jabbing the kids at all, they do tend to catch on the roof of the car while I am strapping the kids into their car seats. I keep wanting to try the squiggleys for that reason alone.

B-L
February 20th, 2012, 02:18 PM
My youngest son is almost 9 months old and I have a 3-year old too.. I don't think I have less time now to take care of my hair, it's just a matter of planing. But I did kind of get a "first child chock" :D where all my rutines were lost..

I don't wont to scare you but I did have a massive postpartum shed.. But it got better after few months and I did/still do have new growth so My hair is now back to normal. My doctor said that se shed very little during the pregnancy, like the body is holding on to the hair.. That's why se seem to shed so much more after..

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGiorrOG4bI) does a pretty good job of explaining. I find it works better with a Nautilus than a Lazy Wrap, but to each their own. It takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out it is fast and easy to do.

Thank you!:)

Mesmerise
February 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Whew. I'm hoping that will be the case as well... I haven't had the stoppage of shedding that some pregnant women talk about, and my hair has been shedding tons... I'm hoping that that means I won't have a huge shed later on.

I really think it's different for everyone! I've read of people who have massive sheds, and those who have very little shedding. I never found that a PP shed lasted long. I've had much worse sheds that have NOTHING to do with pregnancy (or anything else as far as I can determine).

spidermom
February 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I must confess that I cut my hair short with both babies. The main problem was when I'd get up in the middle of the night to go to a screaming, sometimes sick baby, baby would grab whatever hairs where hanging down, and it was just ICK! Plus I don't remember a lot of shedding, but I do remember thinking that my hair wasn't very pretty, so maybe I did shed out a lot of it.

PrairieRose
February 20th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I had a postpartum shed with all 3 babies. I was not that happy since my hair is not that thick to begin with, but it did settle down and all is fine:D I agree with one of the other posters...Amber your hair is so thick it should not be that bad even if you do shed.:)

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I had a postpartum shed with all 3 babies. I was not that happy since my hair is not that thick to begin with, but it did settle down and all is fine:D I agree with one of the other posters...Amber your hair is so thick it should not be that bad even if you do shed.:)

Thank you PrairieRose! I hope you both are right!

spidermom
February 20th, 2012, 03:46 PM
P.S. my hair was so short that it never needed styling, baby couldn't grab it, and it was quick to wash and dry. It didn't even need combing!

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
P.S. my hair was so short that it never needed styling, baby couldn't grab it, and it was quick to wash and dry. It didn't even need combing!

WOW! I can't imagine you with hair that short!

molly_grue
February 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Haha I was just coming to the forum to make a post about how my daughter puked in my freshly washed hair yesterday, but this thread seems appropriate for that story.

Right before my DD was born I cut my hair into a bob and then to a pixie afterward. It wasn't really easier. I think shorter hair looks dirty faster, since it can't be put up.

DS was born 3 months ago and my hair is APL. I've developed a routine where I CWC it every 3 days. On the wash day I put it in a bun while I take DD to school and let it dry down at home afterward.
Most of the time it's in a ponytail or braids but it's not that long and DS isn't a spitter so I haven't had problems with it being down either.

Now on to my pleasant story; Yesterday was a wash day and I had my hair down to dry. I was holding DD and she vomited all over my shoulder and some got on my hair. The best part was that I couldn't take another shower until today...

eta: in regards to shedding, I am shedding more but it's not that bad.

torrilin
February 20th, 2012, 04:52 PM
No kids for me, but if I'm watching my nephew, I don't have to do anything funny with my hair. Any normal comfortable updo that I'd use for playing is fine.

Babies understand things like ow and crying very early... not in the sense of understanding that mom is another person, but they do get the idea that ows and crying are signs that something is wrong. After all, it's what *they* do when something is wrong. So it's not hard to get across the idea that yanking on hair is bad. The main worry I'd have is some kids do try to use pain to get their own was as toddlers... my sister was definitely a biter. And that can be a pretty exciting thing for a kid, until the parents figure out a way of enforcing the limit. But really it's the same thing as some kids going totally nutso on no when they learn the word.

For poop explosions and so on, I'd tend to think hair up is easier. Heck, in some situations I can see that dragging out a shower cap might be perfect.

I'm not really inclined to use hair sticks, and they're very much a dress up item for me. I can see my nephew thinking it was interesting because it was different, and in some moods he might yank them out. But that's not a whole lot different from him stealing socks... he thought if he stole socks and hid them then his favorite grownups can't leave. Then he discovered that just like mommy wears long socks, his aunties wear long socks, and he can't steal them.

Most of the time I wouldn't worry about him getting poked by my hair, since I don't put him in a carrier on my back. If I'm carrying him he's on one hip or the other. But he's also a very calm kid, and I can see how a more exciteable kid like my sister might have gotten into trouble.

ravenheather
February 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM
I had short hair with both babies. I'm just growing it now that my youngest is almost 2. I'm having to teach her not to pull on Mommy's hair or hair toys. I wouldn't wear hair sticks while she is being carried on my back though. She would definitely pull them out. She went through a brief hair pulling stage at one point, but it was fairly short lived.

CaityBear
February 20th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I'm not a mom but I imagine I'd do perfectly fine with long hair as a mom...I'm lazy half the time and just throw it in a bun. I sleep with my hair in a bun on top of my head and upon waking and starting my day sometimes I just take my hair out (don't even untwist it) smooth the hair by my face and reposition and neaten my bun then go on with my day. haha

jeanniet
February 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I shed a ton after both my kids, but I had so much hair it wasn't noticeable (on my head, that is). I wouldn't worry too much about that. My hair back then wasn't as long as it is now. The main thing is to do what's easy for you, and be prepared for developmental stages (grabbiness). My biggest hair issue with the kids and daycare kids was using a backpack and having them yank the hell out of my hair. It doesn't tend to last too long as a stage, but it's a pain (haha) while they do it. I used a backpack a lot because we went on walks and hikes where a stroller wouldn't work, and little legs just couldn't keep up, or I'd have enough kids along that two would be in the stroller and one in the backpack. Just be aware that if they can grab it, they will!

rock007junkie
February 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Here is how my life and hair has changed since I've had my little one. Maybe this could help you:

-hair sticks are a no-no, unless you get them short. You can either poke your baby with it or as they get older they'll constantly pull them out of your hair. They only ones I could wear right now are my medium ketylos.
-You will have to have your hair up all the time. You'll either be running around and hair will get in the way or your baby will pull it...or get caught on things.
-Your deep condition/ wash time will become your most sacred routine because it'll be about the only "you time you will have.

PrairieRose
February 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Had a funny thing to share kinda related to and off topic at the same time....
My 2 year old walks around with a plastic chopstick stuck in his curls, pretends he is S & Ding his hair with pretend scissors and is always putting dabs of oil in his hair! Funny how they imitate us!:D

julya
February 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM
When my son was very little, I was living on my own. My hair was maybe BSL, so not that long. I never did get the urge to cut even though I did have a lot of shedding. I did find a swing very helpful for taking showers. I would bring the swing into the bathroom, like FrozenBritannia, and my son would be content while I got ready for work. I washed my hair every day when I went to work, and wore my hair in a bun, using just elastics and bobby pins to hold it up.

roxee
February 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Don't have any kids of my own but look after my baby sister all the time. Biggest thing I learnt from her is to not have my hair in braids when she's around, she seems to thing there climbing ropes.

kittengirl
February 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I've mostly kept my hair long as a mom because I WANT it long, darnit (even if it doesn't seem to want to be longer than APL) and because short looks ugly on me (large head, round face, short neck, broad shoulders).

When you have a baby, any kind of high-maintenance ANYTHING goes out the window. My DD is almost three, has just started sleeping better, and I have only just gone back to regular SMTs.

Even finding time to WASH it was a pain, so I can't imagine having to spend time styling a short 'do...yet I see many, many moms who apparently do...and have acrylic or at least manicured nails, full makeup, perfect clothes. I guess that is just not me, I don't like to feel like I HAVe to do high maintenance, baby or not.

When she was tiny I did have a lot of time to keep my nails nice and to do S and Ds, while nursing!

Oh, no, now I'm terrified of having a baby! I'm not pregnant but I'm getting married soon and I'm guessing that I'll be trying to have a baby right around the time my hair is finally getting longer like I want. Now I'm scared. I don't want to put so much time into it and be so pleased with it only to lose it all after I have a baby! Does this always happen?

Tia2010
February 20th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I have three kids and my hair has been many different lengths with all of them.

With my oldest I had mid back hair until he was about 3 years old.. Then I chopped it all off into a short pixie and I loved it (he didn't.. for the first week he kept asking me to "go get my hair and put it back on" lol:)) I wasn't really for convenience, more out of wanting something new after a few bad dye jobs...Eventually I grew it out and with my second and third kids I hovered mostly about BSL with the occasional boredom bob or pixie thrown in.

Mine are all older now but honestly my routine when they were young wasn't all that hard because I never really did anything but wash/condition and throw it into a pony (or when it was a pixie wash/condition and blow dry for like 3 minutes and gel it) so it really didn't take any time.

elbow chic
February 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
Oh, no, now I'm terrified of having a baby! I'm not pregnant but I'm getting married soon and I'm guessing that I'll be trying to have a baby right around the time my hair is finally getting longer like I want. Now I'm scared. I don't want to put so much time into it and be so pleased with it only to lose it all after I have a baby! Does this always happen?
It is normal to shed after having a baby, because you often have SUCH thick hair during pregnancy. As I understand it, pregnancy hormones inhibit the shedding you'd normally have, then after the baby is born all the hair you would normally have shed during those months comes loose in a few weeks.

It can look alarming but it all evens out in the long run. For me, I already have fairly thick hair and losing some of that pregnancy "blanket" was a relief, not scary. I mean, it's normally got a circ of 4.5 inches, but at the end of a pregnancy I swear it's at least five inches around. :eek: I just felt FAT postpartum. My stomach was fat, my upper arms were fat, even my hair felt fat. :p Getting rid of any of it was ok with me.

For women with thinner hair, it can feel alarming though.

Cupofmilk
February 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM
Humm.I am not a good example. I have three children. I was very ill with a long list of complications each time. With my first I had my hair cut to BSL++ or Waist- from hip when I was ill. It was at BCL when I had no2. It never took much time. I hit TB when I was pg with no3 and that's where it all went wrong. There is a 16 month age gap. After a long period of illness and bed rest then weeks in NICU and SCBU and readmissions. I cut from TBL ish to BSL. I really regretted it but one winter night dealing with the tangles got too much. It grows back but it's better not to cut and regret!

Raponsje
February 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
The biggest change is that I now wear my hair up all the time. I never had any problems with hair toys. Although my daughter loves to pull out my hair sticks, it has never caused problems. To my great amusement my son tried a hair stick once in his own hair.

The fact that a number of people expect that you will cut your hair awakens my rebellious side. I will not.

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
The biggest change is that I now wear my hair up all the time. I never had any problems with hair toys. Although my daughter loves to pull out my hair sticks, it has never caused problems. To my great amusement my son tried a hair stick once in his own hair.

The fact that a number of people expect that you will cut your hair awakens my rebellious side. I will not.

Your son sounds so cute!!

I agree with the last bit- DH's family is already telling me to cut my hair! My own family leaves me alone- which is good. I don't know why, but it kind of pisses DH's family off that I won't cut my hair. I have the longest hair in both our families... It definitely makes me feel rebellious, and kind of good- I like watching them squirm over something so silly!:p

Amazinggrace
February 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM
I think the most important thing to do is find updo's that you can do very quickly. For me that is a bun. I found it eaisest to keep my hair up 90% of the time. Babies, even very little ones, will grab hairs. They can also get hairs wrapped around fingers and toes, and that can be painful, and hard to figure out if you aren't looking for them.

I think I've read in other threads that you sleep with you hair down, if that is right I would reconsider that. If baby is going to sleep with you, any, then they can get caught up in your hair, get hairs wrappped around fingers or toes, or otherwise just tangle it beyond belief. If baby if going to be in thier bed then I would keep a hair fork in thier room, on a little shelf or in a drawer that you can walk in, spin hair up with, and then change/nurse/etc....

All in all just remember, it is hair. It can be washed. Baby can sit in a bouncy seat, swing, or lay on a padded mat while you shower. In the grand scheme of things, you and your hair will be just fine, and baby will too. :)

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM
I think the most important thing to do is find updo's that you can do very quickly. For me that is a bun. I found it eaisest to keep my hair up 90% of the time. Babies, even very little ones, will grab hairs. They can also get hairs wrapped around fingers and toes, and that can be painful, and hard to figure out if you aren't looking for them.

I think I've read in other threads that you sleep with you hair down, if that is right I would reconsider that. If baby is going to sleep with you, any, then they can get caught up in your hair, get hairs wrappped around fingers or toes, or otherwise just tangle it beyond belief. If baby if going to be in thier bed then I would keep a hair fork in thier room, on a little shelf or in a drawer that you can walk in, spin hair up with, and then change/nurse/etc....

All in all just remember, it is hair. It can be washed. Baby can sit in a bouncy seat, swing, or lay on a padded mat while you shower. In the grand scheme of things, you and your hair will be just fine, and baby will too. :)

The baby won't be in bed with us, but next to the bed. I'm thinking of getting a sleep cap though...

holothuroidea
February 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
I cut my hair from APL+, the longest it's ever been, when my first baby was about 3 months old. It wasn't for practical reasons, though, but emotional ones. It was really liberating to get rid of all that my ratty old neglected hair after my depression. I had a really bad postpartum shed to so my hair was in bad shape.

Plenty of women keep their long hair when they have babies. I don't think you can wear it down, though, especially when they get to be about 3-4 months and get super grabby octopus hands.

The postpartum shed is an issue. It's severe with some people and negligible with others and there's no way to know until it happens. Your hair is very thick though so a big shed might do nothing except make updos easier for you. ;)

The baby won't be in bed with us, but next to the bed. I'm thinking of getting a sleep cap though...

If you are breast feeding you may reconsider. I thought the same with my first but the baby inevitably ended up in bed with me because everybody got more sleep that way.

For my second baby I was wiser and we put a mattress on the floor in the middle of the room in preparation for her arrival. This is the safest way to co-sleep as far as I know.

Of course your current plan might work for you, but it's good to keep your options open.

PrairieRose
February 21st, 2012, 03:12 PM
If you are breast feeding you may reconsider. I thought the same with my first but the baby inevitably ended up in bed with me because everybody got more sleep that way.

Same here! We never thought the babies would be in bed with us but with breastfeeding it just seemed to happen. When they are newborns I still basically got up to nurse, but as they got a little older they would end up with me in bed. I basically sleep on my side and nurse at the same time. For the sake of sleep it was a necessity!:sleep:

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 03:23 PM

For my second baby I was wiser and we put a mattress on the floor in the middle of the room in preparation for her arrival. This is the safest way to co-sleep as far as I know.

Of course your current plan might work for you, but it's good to keep your options open.

Same here! We never thought the babies would be in bed with us but with breastfeeding it just seemed to happen. When they are newborns I still basically got up to nurse, but as they got a little older they would end up with me in bed. I basically sleep on my side and nurse at the same time. For the sake of sleep it was a necessity!:sleep:

We can't have the baby in bed with us because both DH and I toss and turn when we sleep.... Especially me. I don't want to accidentally role over on the baby, hence keeping the baby right next to the bed.

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 03:25 PM

Yes, same with me. With my first I had the bassinet all set up by the bed but the bassinet ended up being empty. All three of my babies have slept with me (and my husband) in bed. I honestly can't imagine getting up to breastfeed every hour or two during the night when it's so much easier to have them right there. But I will say that my baby, who is now 4 years old, hasn't left our bed yet!

As for hair, the only thing that has really changed is that I have decided to go all natural with my color. After seeing all my little one's beautiful, natural hair it made me appreciate my ashy blondish-brownish hair and except it, random silvers and all! It is important to me for them to see me accepting myself as I am.

PrairieRose
February 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
We can't have the baby in bed with us because both DH and I toss and turn when we sleep.... Especially me. I don't want to accidentally role over on the baby, hence keeping the baby right next to the bed.
I wasn't trying to push my opinion on you, I was just sharing my experience. Hope I didn't offend you.:)

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM
I wasn't trying to push my opinion on you, I was just sharing my experience. Hope I didn't offend you.:)

Oh not at all! I wish I could co-sleep with my kids :( It makes me sad that I can't!

holothuroidea
February 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM
Oh not at all! I wish I could co-sleep with my kids :( It makes me sad that I can't!

Is tossing and turning the only reason? Your sleep patterns will change when you breast feed your baby. Mothers have slept with their babies since the beginning of time, even tossing and turning mothers.

If you are really interested in co sleeping Mothering.com has a whole forum dedicated to the subject. I'm sure you'll find plenty of restless sleepers who manage to co sleep with their babies.

lunamummy
February 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM
I wear hairsticks almost every day and haven't had a problem with them jabbing the kids at all, they do tend to catch on the roof of the car while I am strapping the kids into their car seats. I keep wanting to try the squiggleys for that reason alone.

This is exactly what I was going to say :) I'm always in a rush in the morning, that's what I'm blaming - it's not like they stick up higher than my head, so why?!

elbow chic
February 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
I detest co-sleeping with the fire of ten suns! Also all things maternally granola, as they come with a subtle sprinkling of guilt, which does not agree with my system. Dr Sears can suck my right... cheek. The low-producing one.

but that is a whole nother discussion. :p

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Is tossing and turning the only reason? Your sleep patterns will change when you breast feed your baby. Mothers have slept with their babies since the beginning of time, even tossing and turning mothers.

If you are really interested in co sleeping Mothering.com has a whole forum dedicated to the subject. I'm sure you'll find plenty of restless sleepers who manage to co sleep with their babies.

My sleep patterns will probably change, you're right... I know that when I'm exhausted, however, the tossing gets worse... I'm usually fine if I'm napping during the day and not too tired, but at night- I'm not that great. :(

I guess I'll see what happens though, and I'll check out to see what the people on the website you gave me say!

I detest co-sleeping with the fire of ten suns! Also all things maternally granola, as they come with a subtle sprinkling of guilt, which does not agree with my system. Dr Sears can suck my right... cheek. The low-producing one.

I'm not pro-co sleeping or anti-co-sleeping. I'm pro-whatever-works-for-you-and-your-kid. :p

lunamummy
February 21st, 2012, 03:56 PM
I wear my hair up every day just about - not only to avoid mr grabby hands, but also to make an effort. It helps me feel like not-just-a-mummy, if I do my hair nicely and put on some nice clothes. I try and see that being a stay at home mummy is my job, so I need to get dressed for it :)

Plus it's a real time saver - no blow-drying and straightening and washing every other day, like I did when it was in a bob. Now I wash once a week. Wearing it up seems to hide the greasies when they strike!

Hadn't even thought about the implications of sleeping with it up. I braid it every night, and I actually don't like braid waves on my hair, but the plus side is that my baby doesn't end up wrapped in my hair during the night, when he inevitably ends up plastered to my side. (Always starts off in his side-along cot, doesn't always make it back there after feeding).

lunamummy
February 21st, 2012, 03:58 PM
I'm pro-whatever-works-for-you-and-your-kid. :p

Hear, hear! I say that there are as many right ways to parent as there are parent/baby combinations. e.g. my first baby - couldn't sleep with me. The second prefers it.

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Maternally granola??? Really?

Neya
February 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
I can't really answer. I chopped my long hip legnth locks when I was pregnant to slightly past my shoulders out of fear of her pulling AND I had serious thinning/shed during pregnancy(it got worse, then slightly better, but didnt stop until I stopped breast feeding). It was the first time I every willingly cut my hair. I'm happy I did it, I got to experiment with some severely short layers and insane amounts of hair dye.

Now I'm growing again, if I have another baby I wont cut it again. I'll certainly find a way to keep up with henna if nothing else. I really love how henna makes my hair feel.

elbow chic
February 21st, 2012, 04:42 PM
Maternally granola??? Really?

Yes, I really hate it all. Hate it hate it haaate it hate it hate it haaaaate it. (sung to the tune of Blue's Clues.)

Well, except the breastfeeding. I like breastfeeding but I do it my way, not the LLL/Dr Sears/Mothering mag way.

:p

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yes, I really hate it all. Hate it hate it haaate it hate it hate it haaaaate it. (sung to the tune of Blue's Clues.)

Well, except the breastfeeding. I like breastfeeding but I do it my way, not the LLL/Dr Sears/Mothering mag way.

What is your way compared to the Dr Sears way?

elbow chic
February 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
What is your way compared to the Dr Sears way?

Sleep-training and separate beds, and a gleeful willingness to employ caregivers that don't lactate, on a regular basis. Also pacifiers if the kid likes them. :D

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 04:51 PM
Sleep-training and separate beds, and a gleeful willingness to employ caregivers that don't lactate, on a regular basis. Also pacifiers if the kid likes them. :D

I've never read Dr Sears and I dislike how-to parenting books. Paci's are awesome to give your nipples a break, my kids never took to them though. The paci's I mean.:lol:

Maktub
February 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM

:p That's funny and I agree that the right way is the way that feels good to you !

My personality is more on the "granola" side (but I don't call it that lol), but not the commercial-or-hip-n-trendy-granola side, which I see as a kind of "green washing" in a way ... if that makes sense.

I agree that I don't like people who make others feel "guilty" of their choices. I see a lot of that in the medicalized speaches of pregnancy-birth-motherhood too though, sadly.

I read once, I think here, something that went like this; "welcome to motherhood, or when whatever you do is wrong according to someone". :D

As for this tread, I think you had great advice for your hair care. I would try to find a very quick and simple routine close to "bening neglect" at first, and safe toys to hold it up, and simply go from there.

Don't stress too much on shedding (1) stress makes shedding too, (2) not all women shed post childbirth, and even less shed massive amounts (3) fortunately you have thick hair so it most probably won't show if you do shed.

When are you due ? You must be so excited ! :grouphug:

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 05:00 PM
:p That's funny and I agree that the right way is the way that feels good to you !

My personality is more on the "granola" side (but I don't call it that lol), but not the commercial-or-hip-n-trendy-granola side, which I see as a kind of "green washing" in a way ... if that makes sense.

I agree that I don't like people who make others feel "guilty" of their choices. I see a lot of that in the medicalized speaches of pregnancy-birth-motherhood too though, sadly.

I read once, I think here, something that went like this; "welcome to motherhood, or when whatever you do is wrong according to someone". :D

As for this tread, I think you had great advice for your hair care. I would try to find a very quick and simple routine close to "bening neglect" at first, and safe toys to hold it up, and simply go from there.

Don't stress too much on shedding (1) stress makes shedding too, (2) not all women shed post childbirth, and even less shed massive amounts (3) fortunately you have thick hair so it most probably won't show if you do shed.

When are you due ? You must be so excited ! :grouphug:

I also am on the granola side, and not the trendy green washed granola side :p

I'm not going to stress too much about the shedding- though some of it sounds pretty scary! I figure if I'm still shedding now it means I'm not going to have too much of a post-pardum shed. And even if I do, you are probably right- won't be too noticeable!

I'm due at the end of May/beginning of June- anywhere in that time! I'm beyond excited!!!:D

elbow chic
February 21st, 2012, 05:02 PM

Right?! What is that all about anyway? "If you do/don't do XYZ, your kid will die/be ruined/become a serial killer/whatever." Usually it is not even close to being true-- kids mostly turn out ok so long as you remember to feed them and don't lock em in the closet too much.

Well, I think what it is about is that the ever-so-fragile, essential, next generation is always entrusted to a bunch of, basically, ignorant noobs, and everyone is understandably always anxious about this. :p

I think about my sons someday marrying unfamiliar bobbleheaded girls of 20 (or 35) and having to step back and let them muddle thru like I had to! :eek: Awful thought!

However shall I tell those stubborn, selfish girls how to do it Right?? ;)

Lissandria
February 21st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Your son sounds so cute!!

I agree with the last bit- DH's family is already telling me to cut my hair! My own family leaves me alone- which is good. I don't know why, but it kind of pisses DH's family off that I won't cut my hair. I have the longest hair in both our families... It definitely makes me feel rebellious, and kind of good- I like watching them squirm over something so silly!:p

I can't believe your in-laws are telling you to cut your hair! Have you told them (albeit politley) to MYOB?
I realise a lot of new Mums cut their hair for various reasons, which is more than fine if thats what they want to do, but sheesh!

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 05:09 PM
I saw this somewhere and liked it.

Confession: I'm a crunchy granola mom

I never thought I would be but I'm a total attachment parent, hard core granola momma.

I'm a little rigid in my views too.

I'm 100% in support of breastfeeding except when the mother is unable to and believe it should last longer than 3 months.

I'm 100% against my definition of CIO (leaving your child to cry on their own until they stop).

I'm all for co-sleeping/bedsharing and baby wearing.

I'm not totally against disposable diapers but don't really understand why you would chose to use them when cloth is sooo much better.

I don't feel the need to leave my child with someone else so that I can have "me" time all the time or even most of the time.

I miss daily adult interaction but being a SAHM is super important to me. I can't imagine trusting the care of the most important thing in my life to a stranger, even one I've investigated and reviewed.

I believe wholeheartedly that my child is capable of telling me what he wants and when in regards to eating and sleeping. I don't need to force food on him or worry that he's not getting enough/what he needs.

And lastly, I don't believe that any of the things I've listed above are going to ruin my kid for life.

Just sayin'.

And I happen to agree with it all. I don't know what "the trendy green washed granola side" means, but whoever they are, and along with everyone else, I don't make anyone feel guilty about being who they are. :)

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 05:18 PM
I can't believe your in-laws are telling you to cut your hair! Have you told them (albeit politley) to MYOB?
I realise a lot of new Mums cut their hair for various reasons, which is more than fine if thats what they want to do, but sheesh!

I have told them, repeatedly, that I have no interest in cutting my hair.

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM

I never thought I would be but I'm a total attachment parent, hard core granola momma.

I'm 100% in support of breastfeeding except when the mother is unable to and believe it should last longer than 3 months.

I'm 100% against my definition of CIO (leaving your child to cry on their own until they stop).

I'm not totally against disposable diapers but don't really understand why you would chose to use them when cloth is sooo much better.

I don't feel the need to leave my child with someone else so that I can have "me" time all the time or even most of the time.

I miss daily adult interaction but being a SAHM is super important to me. I can't imagine trusting the care of the most important thing in my life to a stranger, even one I've investigated and reviewed.

I believe wholeheartedly that my child is capable of telling me what he wants and when in regards to eating and sleeping. I don't need to force food on him or worry that he's not getting enough/what he needs.

And lastly, I don't believe that any of the things I've listed above are going to ruin my kid for life.

Just sayin'.

And I happen to agree with it all. I don't know what "the trendy green washed granola side" means, but whoever they are, and along with everyone else, I don't make anyone feel guilty about being who they are. :)

I totally agree with what you posted. Especially the SAHM bit.

When I said trendy granola green washing (I'm just speaking for myself here, not the other lady), I mean people who are yuppies and who think organic, and green is better (which it is), but who will fall and buy for anything that says it's organic or "green" on the label- hence the greenwashing bit. I don't believe in spending tons of money, and I don't believe I need every natural product on the market, and I also don't believe that every product that claims it is natural actually is. I do my research first.

holothuroidea
February 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM

I don't really see how this post is helpful or informative for anyone. And I do feel a little personally insulted. I hope that wasn't your intention, it sounded like a vent. I'm really sorry if someone made you feel guilty about these things in the past. Sometimes it ends up like a kind of contest for moms who are home-bound and cranky. It's unfortunate, but that doesn't mean that my advice doesn't have merit. I wish someone had told me more about co-sleeping when I was pregnant with my first because it was a life saver for me.

roxee
February 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM
what's a granola mum?

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM
what's a granola mum?

A very organic/green/hippie/natural minded mom.

Maelyssa
February 21st, 2012, 05:43 PM
Don't give into the pressure to cut. As a mom myself I simply could NOT imagine having to maintain a shorter do while parenting a little one. In my opinion, long hair can simply be washed and put up...soooo much easier. I have very opinionated grandparents too. I've learned to listen to them talk, smile and nod my head then do what I darn well please regardless.

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 05:47 PM
Don't give into the pressure to cut. As a mom myself I simply could NOT imagine having to maintain a shorter do while parenting a little one. In my opinion, long hair can simply be washed and put up...soooo much easier. I have very opinionated grandparents too. I've learned to listen to them talk, smile and nod my head then do what I darn well please regardless.

Exactly!
I found that when my hair was shorter it was more work- I couldn't keep it out of my face and it looked awful because I wouldn't straighten it all the time. Long hair is definitely better- for me anyways.

Lady Neeva
February 21st, 2012, 05:49 PM
It depends which kind of kids you have. If you have a kid who runs at 50 mph (like my brother), either get an incredibily secure hairstick or hack it to APL. Buy comfortable shoes and keep a planned schedule.

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
It depends which kind of kids you have. If you have a kid who runs at 50 mph (like my brother), either get an incredibily secure hairstick or hack it to APL. Buy comfortable shoes and keep a planned schedule.

haha. I was like that as a kid... And I'm actually hoping my daughter will be as well, since I'll know what to do.
Secure hairsticks it is.

WaterMusic
February 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
I also am on the granola side, and not the trendy green washed granola side :p

I'm not going to stress too much about the shedding- though some of it sounds pretty scary! I figure if I'm still shedding now it means I'm not going to have too much of a post-pardum shed. And even if I do, you are probably right- won't be too noticeable!

I'm due at the end of May/beginning of June- anywhere in that time! I'm beyond excited!!!:D

Amber, you have a **** ton of hair. If you lose half of it, then you will still have a normal amount. Just think that if you suddenly have less hair you will be able to do a ton of different buns that you can't now!

alyanna
February 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Nice thread Amber_Maiden!

I cut my hair when my first was about 8 or 9 months old and kept it short until last year when I started growing it. I cut it because I felt frumpy and have always wanted a short, blondish bob.

Now that I have children and I'm growing out my hair, I can say that it's actually less maintenance than short hair. The bob just didn't look good without a blow-out, which only took about 5 min, but sometimes I just didn't feel like dealing with my hair. Also, greasy hair was not an option because I couldn't put my hair up.

Now I don't have to brush or wash very often, and that's actually better for my hair. I usually do a top-knot or a cinnabun with spin pins and I could wear my hair like that for 24 hrs straight, no problem. Mind you, my hair is shorter and much thinner than yours, so that might make mine easier to take care of?

About the co-sleeping: my first was in my bed for almost a year before I got tired of breastfeeding, literally, no exaggeration, 24/7, all the time. Then I transitioned her into her own room and own bed and did a bit of sleep-training.

My second slept in her own bed from day one, and it wasn't even my decision. She just took to the stillness and the quiet of sleeping on her own and only nursed every 3-4 hours. So completely different from her big sis.

Also, you're a completely different person when you've just had a baby, so don't make too many plans. Just take it one day at a time and keep an open mind (I know you've got that anyway, so I'm not worried about you ;)

Co-sleeping was a life-saver for me with my first because otherwise, I would not have slept longer than 15-20 min at a time. Because of co-sleeping I was one of the only new moms who had no issues with sleep at all. Slept 12 hrs per night ;) My poor DH though made good friends with the couch...

alyanna
February 21st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Forgot to add that despite my thinning issues, I had no post-partum shed to speak off. Thank goodness. It can't all be bad now can it?

My hair got thicker during pregnancy AND seems to have retained some of that thickness. It's in better shape now than before. I think because I had some form of AGA, pregnancy hormones might've had a positive impact...

I also used to have acne which has completely cleared up and hasn't come back...

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 06:48 PM
Nice thread Amber_Maiden!

I cut my hair when my first was about 8 or 9 months old and kept it short until last year when I started growing it. I cut it because I felt frumpy and have always wanted a short, blondish bob.

Now that I have children and I'm growing out my hair, I can say that it's actually less maintenance than short hair. The bob just didn't look good without a blow-out, which only took about 5 min, but sometimes I just didn't feel like dealing with my hair. Also, greasy hair was not an option because I couldn't put my hair up.

Now I don't have to brush or wash very often, and that's actually better for my hair. I usually do a top-knot or a cinnabun with spin pins and I could wear my hair like that for 24 hrs straight, no problem. Mind you, my hair is shorter and much thinner than yours, so that might make mine easier to take care of?

About the co-sleeping: my first was in my bed for almost a year before I got tired of breastfeeding, literally, no exaggeration, 24/7, all the time. Then I transitioned her into her own room and own bed and did a bit of sleep-training.

My second slept in her own bed from day one, and it wasn't even my decision. She just took to the stillness and the quiet of sleeping on her own and only nursed every 3-4 hours. So completely different from her big sis.

Also, you're a completely different person when you've just had a baby, so don't make too many plans. Just take it one day at a time and keep an open mind (I know you've got that anyway, so I'm not worried about you ;)

Co-sleeping was a life-saver for me with my first because otherwise, I would not have slept longer than 15-20 min at a time. Because of co-sleeping I was one of the only new moms who had no issues with sleep at all. Slept 12 hrs per night ;) My poor DH though made good friends with the couch...

Thank you for the info!

Yes, I think thinner hair types have it a bit easier then us iii people. It takes me up to an hour to brush my hair (ugh)! Hopefully my hair won't become a rat's nest when the baby comes!

Yes, i'm definitely going to stay openminded! Who knows what might happen? My DH might have to make good friends with the couch as well, for all I know ;)

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
Forgot to add that despite my thinning issues, I had no post-partum shed to speak off. Thank goodness. It can't all be bad now can it?

My hair got thicker during pregnancy AND seems to have retained some of that thickness. It's in better shape now than before. I think because I had some form of AGA, pregnancy hormones might've had a positive impact...

I also used to have acne which has completely cleared up and hasn't come back...

Ohhhh!!! That sounds good! My acne has cut down quite a bit, which I'm happy about- but I still get little bumps... Hoping those will go away as well. You give me hope!:D

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 07:48 PM
I totally agree with what you posted. Especially the SAHM bit.

When I said trendy granola green washing (I'm just speaking for myself here, not the other lady), I mean people who are yuppies and who think organic, and green is better (which it is), but who will fall and buy for anything that says it's organic or "green" on the label- hence the greenwashing bit. I don't believe in spending tons of money, and I don't believe I need every natural product on the market, and I also don't believe that every product that claims it is natural actually is. I do my research first.

I'm glad you agree! :) Are you a SAHM too?

Amber_Maiden
February 21st, 2012, 07:55 PM
I'm glad you agree! :) Are you a SAHM too?

I will be as soon as my baby is born! :)

PrairieRose
February 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM

Just sayin'.

I love this!:D

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
Yay for SAHM's! I think it's the most important thing I've done for my children. Be proud to be a SAHM because, I'm speaking from experience, you will will run into people who don't approve for whatever reason. :(

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 08:03 PM
I love this!:D

Thanks PrairieRose! :)

holothuroidea
February 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
Yay for SAHM's! I think it's the most important thing I've done for my children. Be proud to be a SAHM because, I'm speaking from experience, you will will run into people who don't approve for whatever reason. :(

IME I've run into people who have the complete wrong idea about being a SAHM. People think I am rich and lazy and spend my days in leisure watching my children frolic peacefully or something. It bothers me a little when people say, "you're so lucky!" No, I work hard for what I have, and I've made a lot of sacrifices. We have twice the mouths to feed and half the income of most people in our area.

New Jersey. Everything you heard about it is true. :laugh:

kellinaturalmom
February 21st, 2012, 08:27 PM
IME I've run into people who have the complete wrong idea about being a SAHM. People think I am rich and lazy and spend my days in leisure watching my children frolic peacefully or something. It bothers me a little when people say, "you're so lucky!" No, I work hard for what I have, and I've made a lot of sacrifices. We have twice the mouths to feed and half the income of most people in our area.

New Jersey. Everything you heard about it is true. :laugh:

holothuroidia, this is the story of my life! People ALWAYS say to me, "I wish I could stay home!" It's like people don't realize that this is a choice that I have made - to basically be poor and let my kids be raised by their mother.

Amber_Maiden
February 22nd, 2012, 06:27 AM
holothuroidia, this is the story of my life! People ALWAYS say to me, "I wish I could stay home!" It's like people don't realize that this is a choice that I have made - to basically be poor and let my kids be raised by their mother.

Exactly! DH's family is a bit... uncomfortable?... That I've chosen to be a SAHM. His mom even tried to convince me that people don't do that anymore and that it's better for both parents to be working- um?! I think people do what works for their family- if you choose to be a SAHM you make sacrifices, you have less money, and if you choose to be a working mom you make sacrifices, you have less time with your kids. Neither side is better then the other, and people should respect both sides.

elbow chic
February 22nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
I don't really see how this post is helpful or informative for anyone. And I do feel a little personally insulted. I hope that wasn't your intention, it sounded like a vent. I'm really sorry if someone made you feel guilty about these things in the past. Sometimes it ends up like a kind of contest for moms who are home-bound and cranky. It's unfortunate, but that doesn't mean that my advice doesn't have merit. I wish someone had told me more about co-sleeping when I was pregnant with my first because it was a life saver for me.

Why? Co-sleeping, like most things in life, is not for everyone. Even if you consider it completely safe, some of us just simply really dislike it, find it exhausting and intrusive, not cozy and relaxing.

Ditto for all the other hot-button mommy issues. Some people detest breastfeeding. Some find cloth diapering burdensome and irritating.

And yes, I got megatons of guilt-tripping about sleep-training my kids back in the day, and not from people who'd have been willing to come babysit for a day or two so I could get some sleep and stop being a psychotic sleep-deprived zombie. :p

I wish someone had mailed me a copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" when I was a first-time mom so I wouldn't have had to muddle thru on broken sleep for so long. I had zero concept that kids needed set nap-times, they stayed up dang near as late as I did most nights, and they were predictably, often pretty cranky. I was too fried to do anything fun with them. Living in raw survival mode gets old, fast.

Sleeptraining my kids changed me and my husband's lives (and our kids') much for the better and after it was done, I regretted ever letting the kids into my bed to start with. It wasn't something I did because I just loved the idea, it was something I did because I didn't know any better. I don't run around pushing sleep-training, either-- but it IS something I suggest when people start looking haggard and desperate. Because lordy have I EVER been there! :laugh:

Magrat
February 22nd, 2012, 08:24 AM
I've had long hair my entire adult life. When I was going to become a mom 7 years ago, several people told me I should cut my hair when I became a mom (not everyone was as blunt as that, but many seemed to assume that would happen), but I just laughed and said "No way!". IMHO caring for my hair isn't difficult or time-consuming. I also think it's easy to either bun or braid a long hair, so it's away from small hands.

I mostly braided or sometimes used fairly short hairsticks or hair pins when making a bun, at least the first year. True, some mornings I did have a sweaty tangle on my hands when I had a very stressful night and didn't braid it before (I normally don't braid at night, but when DD was a baby I did sometimes). But I learned quickly what would work and what wouldn't.

BTW, I don't like to sleep next to anyone normally, I like my space and I twist and turn, but I loved co-sleeping with DD when she was a baby. Luckily, since she needed it, eating very little, very often. When she was nearing 2 it became really stressful for me though, so I slowly made the transition to separate beds. That was what worked for us.

Actually, I didn't even put my hair up all the time. I was of a mindset that DD should be free to explore her environment (as long as it was safe) and learn what is acceptable and not. She'd grasp my hair and I would smile. She'd pull hard and I would visibly wince, take her hand and say "Gently or you'll hurt me" and then praise her as soon as she listened. She very rarely hurt me (after she became a few months old and gained some control of her limbs that is). I mean, that's what you'll to with babies who jab their fingers in your nose too hard, why not teach them that the same applies with every part of you?

I didn't even cut my nails much. They were a bit shorter than the were before, but still longer than most mom's I met. :p

The only real concession I made was to change earrings. For about a year I rarely wore the long, dangly earrings I love.

DD has always liked long hair and want to have long hair, just like me. She has almost waist-long hair right now and is very proud of it. I'm braiding it for her when she's going to have gymnastics or something like that, and will soon be teaching her to make updoes herself. She really likes some of my hair-toys and examines them often. :D

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Why? Co-sleeping, like most things in life, is not for everyone. Even if you consider it completely safe, some of us just simply really dislike it, find it exhausting and intrusive, not cozy and relaxing.

Ditto for all the other hot-button mommy issues. Some people detest breastfeeding. Some find cloth diapering burdensome and irritating.

And yes, I got megatons of guilt-tripping about sleep-training my kids back in the day, and not from people who'd have been willing to come babysit for a day or two so I could get some sleep and stop being a psychotic sleep-deprived zombie. :p

I wish someone had mailed me a copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" when I was a first-time mom so I wouldn't have had to muddle thru on broken sleep for so long. I had zero concept that kids needed set nap-times, they stayed up dang near as late as I did most nights, and they were predictably, often pretty cranky. I was too fried to do anything fun with them. Living in raw survival mode gets old, fast.

Sleeptraining my kids changed me and my husband's lives (and our kids') much for the better and after it was done, I regretted ever letting the kids into my bed to start with. It wasn't something I did because I just loved the idea, it was something I did because I didn't know any better. I don't run around pushing sleep-training, either-- but it IS something I suggest when people start looking haggard and desperate. Because lordy have I EVER been there! :laugh:

Obviously I am not insulted by your personal decisions. What I don't appreciate is being called names ("granola") or the implication that I enjoy making other people feel guilty. I took it personally because you felt the need to post that very sarcastic response right after I gave advice about co-sleeping to someone who said they would like to. If you don't see how that could be insulting well I'm sorry.

We are on different wavelengths, and it's probably better to just let the issue go. In the end we both love our kids and want the best for them, let's just focus on that. :flower:

ETA: For the record, I found co-sleeping very exhausting and irritating at first. There is a learning curve. It's annoying at first like, where do I put my arms! Also you are used to moving around and now you don't want to wake the baby so you have to be still. It takes some getting used to. We also played musical beds for a couple of months before we figured out the configuration that worked for us. The motivation was that when it worked we all got a full nights sleep, so we got through the rough parts.

I did sleep training with my first because it was "the thing to do" that everyone was telling me to do and I did it in spite of my every instinct telling me no. I really regret it. It is one of my biggest regrets as a parent. With my second baby, sleep training was not an option, so we made it work. It turns out it was much better after the awkward phase is over, to learn to co-sleep.

I do see that it is a matter of perspective, one way you train yourself and the other way you train your baby. To me it doesn't seem right to train the baby, just based on my own personal experience. Every mom and baby pair is different.

elbow chic
February 22nd, 2012, 08:46 AM
Obviously I am not insulted by your personal decisions. What I don't appreciate is being called names ("granola") or the implication that I enjoy making other people feel guilty. I took it personally because you felt the need to post that very sarcastic response right after I gave advice about co-sleeping to someone who said they would like to. If you don't see how that could be insulting well I'm sorry.

Ah, I am sorry. I don't necessarily consider "granola" a derogatory term, given that I know folks who describe themselves this way. I would describe myself as a "housewife" not a "SAHM," for instance, but know there are others who very much dislike that term.

I apologize for hurting your feelings.

At this point in my life I strongly disagree with many things about attachment-parenting both as a philosophy and as it's currently usually practiced, but (...generally) not the people themselves who are into it. :)

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 08:51 AM
Ah, I am sorry. I don't necessarily consider "granola" a derogatory term, given that I know folks who describe themselves this way. I would describe myself as a "housewife" not a "SAHM," for instance, but know there are others who very much dislike that term.

I apologize for hurting your feelings.

At this point in my life I strongly disagree with many things about attachment-parenting both as a philosophy and as it's currently usually practiced, but (...generally) not the people themselves who are into it. :)

:) It's alright. I think granola is one of those things you can call yourself but if someone else calls you that it's taken as an insult. I don't call myself anything, I don't like labels they make me itchy. :p

I feel the same but opposite way you do. I very strongly disagree with traditional parenting, but not the people themselves who do it. So we can agree to disagree. There should be a handshake smiley.

Narya
February 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM

Just sayin'.

Adding myself to the love :love: I'm not too sold on the cloth diapers, because even if I know all the advantages I don't think I could manage it, but everything else? I hope I can stick to it!

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 10:15 AM

I have seen new Moms with long hair. Wearing it down means babies tend to grasp and pull, which hurts. I am guessing braids will be a major help, especially for sleeping at night. Because if baby wakes at night and you have to be up, hair is automatically out of the way, pretty much. You can let a braid go for a couple of days before taking out and re-doing if you must.

Also, think about your hair and giving birth. I recommend pigtail braids as the easiest for not becoming a snarled tangled mess.

Congratulations on your new baby!!
heidi w.

heidi w.
February 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Not infrequently (and I'm not a parent of anyone) I wake up and do not detangle my hair and simply put it up for the day.

In fact, I sleep with a hairstick on my nightstand so it's easy to grab and go if need be.

When I do this, I have more problems with it coming loose during the day, so I have to redo it a few times throughout the day. But that's okay.

I also have some hairsticks that I can take a nap in or sleep in.

heidi w.

bunzfan
February 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Well when i had my first child nearly 13 years ago now i had a pixie cut just after he was born thinking it would be easier big mistake! i had to do so much t it before it looked ok but when i had my last baby nearly 3 years ago i had already started growing it so it was much easier it just went up and in minutes.

I would say unless you have this massive shed some women seem to suffer from keep it as it is because its much easier.

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
I have seen new Moms with long hair. Wearing it down means babies tend to grasp and pull, which hurts. I am guessing braids will be a major help, especially for sleeping at night. Because if baby wakes at night and you have to be up, hair is automatically out of the way, pretty much. You can let a braid go for a couple of days before taking out and re-doing if you must.

Also, think about your hair and giving birth. I recommend pigtail braids as the easiest for not becoming a snarled tangled mess.

Congratulations on your new baby!!
heidi w.

Braids are not safe for sleeping with a baby if they are longer than 6 inches. A bun on the top of the head would be more appropriate.

When my first was a newborn and my hair was APL I slept with my hair in a peacock twist with a goodie clip because it was the only thing my hair didn't slip out of.

xoxophelia
February 22nd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Definitely no pointy hair toys or dangles. I've worked with a lot of kids and babies (babysitting, nanny, used to work in day care for kids 2-12).. so just another warning if it hasn't been mentioned, but also don't wear any earrings with dangles. Don't ask why not o.o

I usually just wore my hair in a ponytail or bun.

leslissocool
February 22nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Braids are not safe for sleeping with a baby if they are longer than 6 inches. A bun on the top of the head would be more appropriate.

When my first was a newborn and my hair was APL I slept with my hair in a peacock twist with a goodie clip because it was the only thing my hair didn't slip out of.

I disagree, I co-sleep with twins,yep, 4 people one bed! I'm lucky my son actually prefers to sleep on his bed after he falls asleep, I move him and he's happy while my daughter sleeps on her bed until she wakes up at 3 am and wants to sleep with us. But some days DH is stubborn and won't let the twins kick him out of his own bed!

I wear my hair one low braid, and it's NEVER been an issue. I cannot sleep with a bun, I wake up with a gnarly headache. I have VERY heavy hair. My kids really never pulled my braids until now that they are 2 years old, mostly for playing during the day. My son falls asleep petting my hair :crush:.

Adding myself to the love :love: I'm not too sold on the cloth diapers, because even if I know all the advantages I don't think I could manage it, but everything else? I hope I can stick to it!

I'm that way too. I honestly think doing poopy diaper laundry in the same place where you do regular laundry is not hygienic (even is it gets washed, I have a friend who does cloth diapers and saw her "cleaning" the washer and was REALLY disgusted!), and I don't use heavy bleach like detergents for my kids ( my girl has heavy eczema, and gets rashes if she rubs against clothes washed with bleach or the bleach replacements) . Nothing poisonous, anti-bacterial yes, but not something they can die if they swallow. when my kid was 4 months old she climbed on top of the toilet, and got a hold of a lime away I was using while cleaning. I took her to the ER thinking she swallowed it, and found out she would've been dead if she had since it makes your throat blister instantly, and burns your insides. I even since then I got rid of everything harmful except powdered bleach that I keep locked. Other stuff I clean regularly with, if they get hold of it, is non toxic.

I also think I would've killed myself having to do 16 diapers a day of laundry plus the babies clothes, when I had less than 2 hours of sleep a day. It was just not worth it to me, other than that I'm a total Granola parent :D and proud of it! My kids run the risk of being way too spoiled with my love, not with toys but attention and love :crush:

ETA: I am also a happy SAHM One income family and broke. I am lucky to have such an amazing husband who respects and agrees with my decision of raising my own child. Other than that, it's all hard work and patience. I am very happy with my choice.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Definitely no pointy hair toys or dangles. I've worked with a lot of kids and babies (babysitting, nanny, used to work in day care for kids 2-12).. so just another warning if it hasn't been mentioned, but also don't wear any earrings with dangles. Don't ask why not o.o

I usually just wore my hair in a ponytail or bun.

Oh god this...just reminded me when my little brother was a baby and literally ripped out one of my mother's earrings. Ughhshfksjf. Thankfully, it didn't end up serious, but man...that was horrible! :(

I can definitely see why a new mom might cut her hair short. Little kids are truly amazing at how they get into everything. When my hair was long, I was always nervous if I held a baby that it'd get my hair. They must have some sixth sense or something, 'cause as soon as that thought popped in my head, their hands would go straight for my hair. :D

Congratulations on being a new mom soon, Amber_Maiden! :D That is so awesome and you must be so excited~ :cheese:

~maborosi~

kellinaturalmom
February 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
They must have some sixth sense or something, 'cause as soon as that thought popped in my head, their hands would go straight for my hair. :D~maborosi~

So true! Also after they have had something sticky it's like a rule that they grab your hair!:eek:

Snippety
February 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hippy SAHM here :)
When I was pregnant everyone said I would have to cut my hair and also remove my nose ring. Well I didn't do either :p I didn't have a big post partum shed, and was very relieved as I had been really afraid of that happening. I'm not one for much styling and wear my hair in a plait night and day so didn't have any issues there.

I have always co-slept with my boy and never worried about my hair. I push it back behind my head and the plait dangles over the back of the mattress out of the way. I have a way of bundling it up for messy jobs by just folding the plait four times and putting a big old velvet scrunchie round it which worked for nappy changes and feeding later on ( we did baby led weaning which was very messy :D).

I still managed to wash my hair twice a week either when my husband was looking after our boy, or by putting him in his bouncer and making funny faces or singing to keep him amused. When he got older and started to walk he would use my plait to pull himself up to stand, but I never minded. He has never, ever pulled at my nose ring once :D

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
I disagree, I co-sleep with twins,yep, 4 people one bed! I'm lucky my son actually prefers to sleep on his bed after he falls asleep, I move him and he's happy while my daughter sleeps on her bed until she wakes up at 3 am and wants to sleep with us. But some days DH is stubborn and won't let the twins kick him out of his own bed!

I wear my hair one low braid, and it's NEVER been an issue. I cannot sleep with a bun, I wake up with a gnarly headache. I have VERY heavy hair. My kids really never pulled my braids until now that they are 2 years old, mostly for playing during the day. My son falls asleep petting my hair :crush:.

I was just quoting the book on that one, but of course it depends on your hair. My hair made a thin braid that tapered to the diameter of a shoelace. That would not have been safe! But if your hair is thick the game changes. :D

utdesertrunner
February 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM
I have 5 kids under 8. I don't notice a difference in the amount of time I spend on my hair, but it is up all the time.

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
So true! Also after they have had something sticky it's like a rule that they grab your hair!:eek:

This is so true, lol!

~maborosi~

Amber_Maiden
February 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
I was just quoting the book on that one, but of course it depends on your hair. My hair made a thin braid that tapered to the diameter of a shoelace. That would not have been safe! But if your hair is thick the game changes. :D

My hair could never do the shoelace thing... It's VERY thick...

kellinaturalmom
February 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Lucky you... I'm almost embarrassed to go in public with my braid it's so thin.

GuardGirl
February 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
I thought I was going to be the exception to the 'mom do' when I had my daughter 2 years ago. I've had long hair most of my life, and I had past-BSL when my daughter was born. But I lost 50 lb. in 3 months after giving birth, and I guess the rapid weight loss triggered a severe post-partum shed, and my hair got sooooooo thin that I ended up cutting above my shoulders about 6 months later to disguise it. Regaining proper nutrition and upping my protein intake has allowed me to grow back to past-BSL with hopes of reaching waist in a few months with thicker hair than I've had in several years. I thounk this is why a lot of moms cut, something that a lot do not want to admit.

Amber_Maiden
February 23rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Lucky you... I'm almost embarrassed to go in public with my braid it's so thin.

I'm sure your braid is fine! Thick hair isn't all it's cracked up to be- it's heavy and time consuming...

kellinaturalmom
February 23rd, 2012, 10:12 AM
I thought I was going to be the exception to the 'mom do' when I had my daughter 2 years ago. I've had long hair most of my life, and I had past-BSL when my daughter was born. But I lost 50 lb. in 3 months after giving birth, and I guess the rapid weight loss triggered a severe post-partum shed, and my hair got sooooooo thin that I ended up cutting above my shoulders about 6 months later to disguise it. Regaining proper nutrition and upping my protein intake has allowed me to grow back to past-BSL with hopes of reaching waist in a few months with thicker hair than I've had in several years. I thounk this is why a lot of moms cut, something that a lot do not want to admit.

I think you're right. When I cut my hair from BSL to chin length after my 3rd baby it was because it just looked so thin. I also wasn't taking very good care of it, I hadn't found LHC yet. My hair, 4 years later, is also in the best condition it's ever been in.

I'm sure your braid is fine! Thick hair isn't all it's cracked up to be- it's heavy and time consuming...

I'll take heavy and time consuming any day for that thick luxurious hair you have Amber Maiden!

Amber_Maiden
February 23rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'll take heavy and time consuming any day for that thick luxurious hair you have Amber Maiden!

haha. Thank you for the compliment! :o

racrane
February 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
My first baby will be here in August, and I really love this thread. Thank you Amber Maiden for starting it. :)

FrozenBritannia
February 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM
My first baby will be here in August, and I really love this thread. Thank you Amber Maiden for starting it. :)

LOVE the sig pic! :)

Amber_Maiden
February 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM

No problem racrane, and congrats on your baby! :)

mommy2two
February 23rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
When I had my daughter mine was a little past BSL, i loved when she would play with my hair while nursing!!! My only problem was that I had a major shed, which was alright because I have a ton of hair. I just didn't have it thinned out. After her firtst birthday, I got feeling frumpy and decided to get it cut it off so I could no longer put it up. BIG HUGE mistake!!!! Roughly to a chin length bob, it is now almost back to BSL and except for a bad bang, and an occasional frumpy feeling, I love it!! I wear it up most of the time, though it is not quite long enough for traditional updos yet. Loner hair just fits me better!! I can't wait to have it midback length!!

lauralei
February 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have five kids (ages 10 to 19) and have always had long hair. My youngest used to play with my hair while I nursed her and actually couldn't get to sleep without playing with a lock of my hair. She gradually learned to play with her own hair instead--I have all these pictures of her with one thumb in her mouth and her other little fist embedded in her hair!

kellinaturalmom
February 23rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
How cute!!!

PrairieRose
February 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
racrane So cute and congratulations!

JamieLeigh
February 23rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
I've got five kids, who were all babies back-to-back (they are 10, 9, almost-8, 6 and 5 now) and I NEVER cut my hair above hip-length in all that time. I have a deep love of long hair, and I know it's the best look for me (having been to chin length and hated it!). And I have a determined spirit, that if I want something enough, I will make sure that I have it. :lol:

I got to the point where I lived in an English braid that I would re-do once per day, and I only washed my hair when I knew I was going out the next day (even back then before I found LHC, I knew that my hair was its frizziest on the first day of washing). Whenever one of my kids would grab my hair (or anyone else's), I would gently but firmly put their hand away from it, and they learned not to do that. I have never EVER had a report of hair-pulling from day camp, preschool, school, or grandparents' houses. ;)

And what was fun about that? At the end of it all, my hair had REALLY grown a lot, while I wasn't paying attention to it. So that was a nice surprise for me.

I wish I'd had LHC, because there are so many really good and easy buns like the nautilus and the lazy wrap that would have been wonderful for wearing around little ones. I still haven't gotten back into the high-maintenance stuff like blow-frying and curling, and I think my hair is honestly happier for it.

Bottom line - don't worry about what other people *think* you're going to do. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone, just do what makes you comfortable. Some of us can handle the long hair and babies together, some of us are happier with a really short, stylishly messy look. Whatever you find works best for YOU. And you can always grow it back out when you're ready, if you decide long won't work. No pressure at all. :)

Amber_Maiden
February 23rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
I've got five kids, who were all babies back-to-back (they are 10, 9, almost-8, 6 and 5 now) and I NEVER cut my hair above hip-length in all that time. I have a deep love of long hair, and I know it's the best look for me (having been to chin length and hated it!). And I have a determined spirit, that if I want something enough, I will make sure that I have it. :lol:

I got to the point where I lived in an English braid that I would re-do once per day, and I only washed my hair when I knew I was going out the next day (even back then before I found LHC, I knew that my hair was its frizziest on the first day of washing). Whenever one of my kids would grab my hair (or anyone else's), I would gently but firmly put their hand away from it, and they learned not to do that. I have never EVER had a report of hair-pulling from day camp, preschool, school, or grandparents' houses. ;)

And what was fun about that? At the end of it all, my hair had REALLY grown a lot, while I wasn't paying attention to it. So that was a nice surprise for me.

I wish I'd had LHC, because there are so many really good and easy buns like the nautilus and the lazy wrap that would have been wonderful for wearing around little ones. I still haven't gotten back into the high-maintenance stuff like blow-frying and curling, and I think my hair is honestly happier for it.

Bottom line - don't worry about what other people *think* you're going to do. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone, just do what makes you comfortable. Some of us can handle the long hair and babies together, some of us are happier with a really short, stylishly messy look. Whatever you find works best for YOU. And you can always grow it back out when you're ready, if you decide long won't work. No pressure at all. :)

Thank you for sharing this! :)