PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a drastic cut

Chanteuse87
February 20th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hi all -- I don't normally post in this forum, mostly because I've refined my own hair routine and am super happy with it. I've been growing my hair out since 2007, and it's nearly to hip these days (if not there already). I love my henna glosses, and my fine hair is in fabulous condition and doesn't have many splits.

There are plenty of things I love about long hair, obviously, I love the versatility, I love the compliments I get, and I love the way it feels. However, I'm feeling the need for a change. I recently lost a bunch of weight, and I'm graduating with my masters degree this May. I'm making lots of life changes, and I find myself missing the short haircut that I got going into college. I figure if I end up missing long hair, as I probably will at some point, I can always grow it out again :) It's only a three or four year commitment, which is really not bad in the scheme of things.

So we'll see. I'm going to sit and think about it for a few months, but will mostly likely chop to chin length before I head to New Mexico in June.

XcaliburGirl
February 20th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm of the opinion that if you really want to chop your hair, and you are going into it with eyes open as far as the looong awkward grow-out period, then you should do it. I did it because I wanted to see how I looked with a pixie. I don't truly regret it because I know I needed to try it. However, there are some days I wish I could go long again as easily as I went short.

Definitely think about it long enough to make sure it isn't a whim (2 weeks at least!). Also, consider chopping to SL first, that way you can still put it up in a ponytail. This is a sore point for me a the moment. Also, if you do go chin, the fewer layers and angles, the easier it is to grow out with minimal trimming.

HintOfMint
February 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM
This is going to sound really counter intuitive to what society says, but I believe that having short hair looks best on the young, so if you feel the urge and are not terribly attached to having long hair, do it now.

Of course, wait the requisite two weeks or a month before you do anything hasty.

Good luck and congrats!

Lucky
February 20th, 2012, 09:26 AM
It seems normal that you would want to cut your hair as you embark on a new chapter in your life and after such changes.

:shrug: My only hesitation would be the flippiness of hair above the shoulders (though perhaps your hair doesn't do that?). For me, hair above my shoulders is not very "wash and wear" it usually needs a bit more styling (i.e. blowdrying). But in the end, it's your hair and if you still really want to do it in a couple weeks, go for it!

Congrats on the weight loss and your Master's in May!!

blondie9912
February 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I know what you mean, healthy short hair looks very fresh and young :) Perhaps cut to BSL or so at first, chin is VERY short compared to hip IMO

White Sides
February 20th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Well, in my opinion, I would say no, don't cut it, or at least not that short. Your hair looks almost exactly like one of my old girlfriend's, and she got it cut short and I was bummed!! Yours is so pretty! And well taken care of too, from what you said above. So I think you should keep it. Or at least don't cut it so drastically because it's too pretty to me!

Mesmerise
February 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I think everyone should do what they like with their hair! If you want to cut it, go for it! The worst that can happen is that you regret it and need to regrow ;).

However, I would second the others and say DON'T cut it all at once!! Cut to maybe BSL first and see how you feel. If you feel pangs of regret, then you'll know you're not ready to go further (and you haven't got quite so many years of recovery!).

If you want to cut more off BSL, maybe go to shoulder or APL, and again gauge how you feel.

However, I have cut and grown my hair so much in my life (although I've always been a bit too "cutty" so it's never reached hip :o), and I know I'm the sort of person who always needs some sort of aim or goal, so I can't say how I'll feel when I do reach my goal length. I might get tired of it and want to chop it off too!

lapushka
February 20th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I agree with those who've said to cut in stages. If you use Feye's self-trimming method, then it won't cost you anything to do so, so you'll not end up paying for multiple haircuts at the salon. I'd go to BSL first. Speaking from experience, the shock can be big going from hip to BSL! Whatever you do, do it in stages.

turtlelover
February 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Your hair is really, really pretty, so I would be very sure before you do anything drastic, and then I would do it in stages. I went from waist to chin before thinking I would love it, and 2 days later I was in tears.

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Do what works best for you and your lifestyle. We all have a hair length of comfort. Mine's a bit longer than yours, and re-growing it isn't an option. Once cut, it will likely grow out far shorter than it is now. I am 52, just about. Hair slows its growth rate the older we become. There are exceptions, but it's something to keep in mind as you make decisions. I kept my hair very short while in college, and well, my hair would be longer if I hadn't.

heidi w.

kidari
February 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Do what works best for you and your lifestyle. We all have a hair length of comfort. Mine's a bit longer than yours, and re-growing it isn't an option. Once cut, it will likely grow out far shorter than it is now. I am 52, just about. Hair slows its growth rate the older we become. There are exceptions, but it's something to keep in mind as you make decisions. I kept my hair very short while in college, and well, my hair would be longer if I hadn't.

heidi w.

I had no idea! I plan to keep my hair long forever from now on so this knowledge is of great help. However, in my early 20s I felt the same way of wanting a change and I chopped it off shorter and shorter. I can say that I had no regrets because at least once in my life I wanted to know what it was like to have super short hair and now I can see I've done it and enjoyed it and now know that long hair is best for me. You only live once and you shouldn't have many regrets if you can help it. My only advice is maybe don't cut it as short as chin length. If you do have regrets it would be easier to live with if you cut it to shoulder instead. If you love it shorter then I would wait some more and then cut it to chin. Good luck!

<3OnHerSleeve
February 20th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Definitely agree about cutting in stages, I didn't regret cutting my hair the last time because of it. But that is partly because healthy short hair does look better than long dried disgusting hair like what mine was so the intention was to grow it long after all the unhealthiness was cut out. Whenever I cut my hair for any other reason then I regreted it.

If you really loved when your hair was short, I doubt you'll regret it. It does depend on people's experience and circumstances whether they will regret a big chop or not. Go for it if you really believe you won't regret it!

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I cut my hair after a major change. I have lived to regret it so make sure you don't do it for the wrong reason.

truepeacenik
February 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I understand the impulse.
For me, it was an urge to dreadlock my hair after my marriage split.

I joke that I would happily cut to pixie or a bob, if I could just skip that rather so-so growing in time from nape to butt. :D

In your shoes, I would self trim to a point half way, assess how I feel and either get a salon cut for the length, or an all new style.
This is one payment to a salon, either way.

Chanteuse87
February 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I understand what you guys mean about stages -- the thing is, I've gone from waist to chin before, and loved it! I'll be going to the same stylist, as well, and she did a fabulous job taking me from long to short. I'm going to get something with minimal layering, just enough to work with my wave, which really comes out at shorter lengths :) That's the best thing about my hair when it's short -- it dries perfectly, and quickly, without me doing anything to it.

Basically I do the same thing for short hair that I do for long, it just dries in ten minutes instead of an hour and a half :p

And thank you for the compliments! I think my hair is pretty, too, lol. Although I will say it has thinned out just a tad from what it used to be.

Heidi, I had no idea that hair growth slowed as one ages. Definitely something to keep in mind. However, I think that just made my mind up to chop it now, while I still have my relative youth to grow it out in! As I said, though, this is a cut that won't happen until May, at the earliest. I've got some time to ruminate!

FrozenBritannia
February 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Go for it! I have done it before, and can't say I regretted it. However, my intention now, is to never to get a real cut again!! (but I probably will,and will continue to trim etc.)

Figure out what you like when you are young! I don't think I will ever have a short haircut again, even though it suited me at 22. :)