PDA

View Full Version : Maintainence of Hair scissors

Cyetra
February 20th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Hi again all.

How do you maintain a proper hair cutting edge on hair scissors? Can anyone reccomend an appropriate sharpent brand or simillar?

Or would it be easier to toss and replace?

Also, how often should you be sharpening/changing scissors?

Thanks!

Falcore
February 20th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I use Tweezerman which have a lifetime guarantee and sharpening policy. I got them from Ebay for around $25 and I'm happy with them. I wouldn't toss and replace - our society is already so dispensable with everything.. best not to contribute to it, I feel.

In regards to sharpening, I guess it depends on how much you use them. Generally, I'd suggest sharpening when the blades begin to pull on the hair as opposed to cutting the hair.

Hope this helps and welcome to LHC :)

Falcore
February 20th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Ha I see now you've been here since 2010. It's coming up "new member" on my PC.

Weird! lol

Carolyn
February 20th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Ha I see now you've been here since 2010. It's coming up "new member" on my PC.

Weird! lolThe OP shows up as "New Member" because she only has 12 posts. It will stay that way until she has 25+ posts no matter how long ago she joined LHC. HTH.

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM
I buy cheap scissors and toss mine when they get dull.

IndigoOptimist
February 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I buy cheap scissors and toss mine when they get dull.

I do the same... I know it's wasteful, but cheap scissors aren't going to last me a life time anyway and I haven't needed to replace then often at all (once). It's just easier than finding a good pair and then finding a good sharpener ;)

Renate
February 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
The lady who sold them said the scissors would "sharpen themselves the more I use it", wich is probably not true, but they are great scissors anyway :P

How long does it take for the scissors to lose their sharpness?

blondie9912
February 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I bought medium priced scissors ($60 CAD/USD) and plan on going back to the store to get them sharpened when they start to feel dull. I'm assuming this will take YEARS, however.

irisheyes
February 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Call me crazy, but I buy my scissors at the $1 store for cutting my bangs, and I use them for other purposes once I determine they are getting dull. They work great on my bangs, so why should I pay more?

lapushka
February 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Call me crazy, but I buy my scissors at the $1 store for cutting my bangs, and I use them for other purposes once I determine they are getting dull. They work great on my bangs, so why should I pay more?

I guess you don't, if you don't want to, but aren't haircutting scissors usually a bit sharper than regular scissors are and thus more suited towards cutting hair?

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 02:54 PM
There are business that sharpen knives, blades and scissors (such as hairdressers might use).

Maybe there's a business in your area that can offer scissor sharpening services?

heidi w.

Cyetra
February 22nd, 2012, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Heidi

Unfortunatly, I do not live in America or Europe. I have never really heard of anyone offering such a service around here, so it sounds like I am out of luck.

Does anyone know the answer to my question re the type of sharpener? D0es it need to be a specific variety of sharpener or will a standard sharpener work?

As for the other: I am a quite sort. I don't post much ;) But thanks for the welcome anyhow.

furnival
February 22nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Heidi

Unfortunatly, I do not live in America or Europe. I have never really heard of anyone offering such a service around here, so it sounds like I am out of luck.

Does anyone know the answer to my question re the type of sharpener? D0es it need to be a specific variety of sharpener or will a standard sharpener work?

A normal knife sharpener, the kind that you run the blade through, will not work on scissors as it scores metal from both sides of the blade, and the blades of scissors must be sharpened on one side only or a gap will form between them and they'll be ruined.
The only way to sharpen scissors is to grind each blade separately along the angle of the bevel- the angled edge of the blade. This can be done with a sharpening stone or a mechanical grinder but it's fairly tricky. Have you looked on the net for sharpening services?
A decent pair of hair scissors, used only for hair, shouldn't blunt for ages anyway. And beware of advice that suggests you can sharpen scissors by cutting through something, whether it be tin foil or sandpaper or anything- this is not true, and will blunt your scissors very nicely.
Hope that helps!:)