PDA

View Full Version : My face hates shampoo :(

cooklaezo13
February 20th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I feel like I've tried everything to help my acne. Nothing works. I have pimples on my cheeks, jaw, and around my lips. Clear skin on my forehead, nose and chin.
When I quit shampoo for three months, and began washing my hair with baking soda followed by a citric acid rinse, my acne cleared up! But my hair did not like baking soda at all :(. After a brief, unsuccessful trial of condition-only, I went back to using shampoo and conditioner. The acne came back with a vengeance!!!! I'm so upset about it. I try to keep the shampoo off my face when I use it, but obviously some still gets on my face because the acne came back.
My shampoo is aloe 80 organics daily shampoo http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/our_products/item/aloe-80-organics-daily-shampoo-lemon-rosemary/48
The shampoo has gentle detergents and it makes my hair clean and perfect without drying it out. But it definitely gives me bad acne.
I've had acne in the past while using other shampoos, too.
Has anyone else struggled with this? Can you suggest shampoos or alternate cleansing methods? Not baking soda, not condition only. These both left my hair unacceptably greasy all the time. I have an oily scalp and I need to wash often with something that will get the grease out. Also I hate products with a strong scent, so anything with much fragrance is out. Wearing my greasy hair up is not really an option for me at my current length, because updo options are limited.

linnepinne
February 20th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Maybe you can try a diluted ACV-rinse at the end of your wash, and make sure you get some on your face aswell. The vinegar lowers the pH wich the shampoo just made higher.
Or, you could try washing your hair with something completely different. I've had success with rhassoul clay. It's very gentle but still gets the grease out, and I've read that it's supposed to draw out dirt and impurities from the skin too.

But, I must say, what worked for me to get rid of acne is realizing that I have extremely sensitive skin. I have tried lots and lots of natural products to clean my face, but the one thing that has given me results is a series of products for sensitive skin by Lancome (I use a cleansing milk and a calming moisturizer). I can not use any harsh products like soap (natural or other) on my face, and there is no way in h**l that I can do any exfoliating, no matter how gentle. Anything like that, even masks, make my skin break out like crazy.

The Lancome products are very expensive, and it might feel like to much money to spend on something you don't now will work for you, but if you go to a beauty shop (I'm just guessing that most places sell Lancome?) you could ask for some samples. That's what I did, and I saw results after just two days! Let me know if you are interested in the exact names of the products I use.

Good luck!

piratejenny
February 20th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I hear your pain in struggeling with acne as I've struggled with oily skin and clogged up pores all my life as well. I stopped using shampoo (for rather unrelated reasons :D) last June and I've seen a drastic improvement in the condition of my skin. I've even had people comment on it and ask if I was pregnant again (pregnancies made my skin perfect, but are clearly not a long-term solution :cool:).

Anyway, I don't care much for the BS/ACV routine. What I've been doing for the past months is either a simple egg shampoo or - recently - rhassoul clay. I'm not quite sure which one I like better. The eggs work really well for me, but rhassoul allows me to go longer between washes...

There are also plenty of other shampoo alternatives that I haven't tried (yet). Indian herbs are quite popular I think...

Keep in mind that there might be a transition period when switching from shampoo to milder forms of washing during which your hair will feel not feel so clean. Try to stick with it for a couple of weeks nevertheless and judge then ;).

woolyleprechaun
February 20th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Perhaps you could treat you hair and skin separatly? Use the baking soda and citric acid rinse as a facewash, and something else on the hair? Ive found that castor oil help stop the scalp overproducing oils (Im not mad, bear with me on this one.....:)) Try massaging on your scalp at least a few hoursor overnight, before washing, and wash as normal. For some reason it takes longer to get oily afterwards. Hope this helps, and from a ex-acne sufferer, I feel your pain and send *hugs*

Moonlake
February 20th, 2012, 02:04 AM

cooklaezo13
February 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you all so much for the sympathy and the suggestions! I now have a list of things to try to see if I can find something that makes both my face and hair happy.

lapushka
February 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
The only thing that worked for my acne was going to the dermatologist, who prescribed an antibiotic cream for me (that and BC). I used to struggle for years and years to try and find products that would solve this for me - it all failed terribly and was the ultimate waste of money.

beautifulending
February 20th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I had bad acne and I started using pure witch hazel and my face is almost clear. I use a wash cloth and put the witch hazel on and put it all over my face twice a day once in the morning and once at night. I love that it's natural and it does not dry my face out.

Viola88
February 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Do you having a hand shower? You should be able to keep the shampoo off your face if you can hose it off your hair away from your face like at the salon.

A few years ago I had a wicked reaction to fragrances so my derm recommended Free and Clear shampoo and conditioner. It helped my skin calm down while still being able to shampoo and condition.

Moonlake
February 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Just to offer a shoulder of sympathy. I am 52, and I still have acne. My skin goes through peeling episodes. I can't use a washcloth on my facial skin, it's so sensitive. Finally, last summer, in the wake of increased acne because of the elements outside: high humidity and sweating profusely, I visited a licensed skin care lady (not a licensed dermatologist though -- althoug I've visited them in years past). Unfortunately, although the products she used on my skin worked, and regular facials once a month helped tremendously, I am unable to afford the products presently, so my skin is going through a peel and kind of gritty texture to the facial skin. I have some kind of thing where I form bumps on say, my forehead mostly that if they pop are merely filled with a clear fluid. It's kind of like a sebacious gland bump. And they can get hard and fixed and not break open. Once drained, they always go away, however. They're a problem. I imagine when I'm old and in some institution, I'll have terrible-looking skin cause they'll give me just a bar of soap, which doesn't work on any of my skin -- ever. There's hell to pay when I use soap.

I wonder if having a sulfate-free shampoo might be better or worse for you? Look into, if interested Devachan Salon online for low-and no- poo shampoos. These have low to no sulfates and do not bubble as more regular shampoos do. You could consider diluting shampoos.

heidi w.

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you might be allergic to SLS or some other kind of chemicals. Look into SLS free versions of shampoo and conditioner.

BlazingHeart
February 20th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm sensitive to SLS and get a similar breakout on my forearms and sometimes on my face. Both have been happier since I went to poo bars. It is still important for me to avoid very hot water on my skin and rinse off VERY carefully at the end of a shower. When things get irritated and break out, I find using a skin friendly oil like safflower or olive helps speed the healing process.

Bagginslover
February 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM
I still have acne just as bad as when I was a teenager :( I also have a genetic condition that causes benign tumours of the hair follicles, so even when my skin is pretty clear, I still look like I have acne lurking under the skin :(

I have found conditioner only to be better for my skin.......not sure how it is for my hair yet as I'm still transitioning I think, but time will tell.

cooklaezo13
February 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Last night I tried washing with soapnuts. Afterwards, my skin and scalp were very dried out and irritating. They didn't work for me, but if they work for you, I am offering them on the swap board.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88794
I'm still trying to find a wash method that will work for me. My scalp is very oily so I need something that cleans well, without irritating my sensitive and acne-prone skin.

roxee
February 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Once a week i mix baking soda into my face wash and massage it in my skin for a couple of minutes and have noticed a massive change in my skin, then moisturize with a light oil and have noticed a massive change in my skin. I use to have pretty bad skin but since using baking soda and moisurizing with a light oil (I use bio oil) instead of a cream moisturizer my is pretty much clear now.

cooklaezo13
February 23rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Hi roxee, thanks for the advice. What cleanser do you use to mix the baking soda with? I've been using plain diluted baking soda to wash my face, and my face seems to react well to it.

roxee
February 23rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
I use neutrogena stress control but any gental foam face wash will work, just make sure to stay away from any oil stripping cleansers as it will irritate your skin and make it produce more oil.
Also I know it sounds odd to use oil on your skin to moisturize but it doesn't clog the pores and also almost tricks the skin into producing less sebum.

cooklaezo13
February 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Below are some pictures of my skin. It's sooo bad right now. I hope that getting away from shampoo will make it clear again.
What I don't understand is that the skin on my forehead is PERFECT. It is smooth, looks nearly poreless, always moist, and never breaks out, no matter what I do to it.
The skin around my mouth, on my chin, and on the sides of my face is the exact opposite. It feels rough, dry, has clogged pores, and even when clear is kind of reddish.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n573/cooklaezo13/skin1_small.jpg
A close up of the worst part:
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n573/cooklaezo13/close_up.jpg
An even closer view:
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n573/cooklaezo13/close_up_2.jpg

Kelikea
February 24th, 2012, 11:47 AM
It looks like you need some medication. Over the counter stuff is probably not going to help and your shampoo is probably not the culprit, just irritating. You can go to a dermatologist or a family doctor that specializes in women's health and get a prescription for topical antibiotic.

cooklaezo13
February 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Kelikea, thank you for your suggestion. I have a prescription antibiotic cream with benzoyl peroxide in it that my dermatologist prescribed. The cream keeps my skin clear when I don't use shampoo. Two months ago, I had clear skin when I was using the cream combined with not using shampoo. Then I went back to using shampoo (while still applying the cream), and the acne came back!
The shampoo definitely contributes towards my acne. I've been without shampoo for a week now and my acne is starting to clear up again.
My last few washes have been with bentonite clay. The clay made my hair clean and soft, and didn't seem to irritate my skin at all. I'm hoping that this will continue working for me.

Bunnysaur
February 26th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Have you heard of tea tree oil? I used to have positively awful acne, and incredibly oily skin, but tea tree oil helped me immensely, without bothering my sensitive skin. My skin is clear, for the first time ever. If also helps to cut down on oil production, so you might want to try using it as a scalp treatment a couple times a week. The Body Shop has a great tea tree oil skincare line, it's what cleared my face up.
Good luck!

cooklaezo13
February 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Thanks Bunnysaur, I have used tea tree oil on and off. I have a big bottle of the pure essential oil, so I will start incorporating it into more of my haircare and skincare recipes and try to be more consistent about using it.

Kelikea
February 27th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Hi Kelikea, thank you for your suggestion. I have a prescription antibiotic cream with benzoyl peroxide in it that my dermatologist prescribed. The cream keeps my skin clear when I don't use shampoo. Two months ago, I had clear skin when I was using the cream combined with not using shampoo. Then I went back to using shampoo (while still applying the cream), and the acne came back!
The shampoo definitely contributes towards my acne. I've been without shampoo for a week now and my acne is starting to clear up again.
My last few washes have been with bentonite clay. The clay made my hair clean and soft, and didn't seem to irritate my skin at all. I'm hoping that this will continue working for me.

Bentonite clay is some wonderful stuff! I've used it internally and for face masks, but not for hair. How do you wash with it? I have sonne's#7 bentonite, which is a liquid suspension.

DarkAlice
February 27th, 2012, 06:15 AM
the clay sounds pretty interesting but i'd think for me atleast it would be a little to drying?

jacqueline101
February 27th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Have you tried keeping your hair and head tilted back as you shampoo your hair? Keep the shampoo away from your face.

holothuroidea
February 27th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Are you positive it is the shampoo and not the conditioner?

Either way I think you should work on your washing technique and find a way to cleanse your hair without getting any on your face.

Judging by the pictures you have similar acne to me, small red blotches that appear in clusters. It does look like a sensitivity reaction. I'm not a dermatologist, though.

Things that work for me:
Never rub face with a towel, only blot dry very gently
Wash with California Baby super sensitive shampoo once a day (this is the shampoo I use, too, it might work for you- it is expensive, though)
Don't rub face when washing, lather soap in hands, gently pat on face, let sit for 30 seconds, then rinse in warm water without rubbing.
Water only washes throughout the day. Usually I give my face a splash (no rubbing!) any time I go to the bathroom, and blot dry with a clean towel.
Only touch face with freshly washed hands.

Also, this is the moisturizer I use... It is amazing! I mix equal parts aloe vera gel and water in my hands, then add a drop of Camellia oil. I have very dry skin and this moisturizer is so effective I only need to use it once a day, any cream moisturizer I've used I had to reapply often and oil alone never worked for me.

Hope I could help!

chou
February 27th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I don't want to push you to buy more stuff because when I get inflammation-induced acne the best thing is usually to just let it be, avoid all products and treat gently with hydrocortisone and aloe. That said, I do have a product recommendation for the long run.
Have you tried soap-based shampoos or shampoo bars? I am currently using a soap-based shampoo from Toadstool soaps (http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolsoaps) which has the consistency (thick, clear, slippery) and performance of conventional shampoo but with far fewer ingredients. It only has soap, oils, lemon and honey in it. I'm crazy about this stuff. It has made my hair soft, clean and insanely shiny without stripping and it comes in unscented. She offers a trial size of the stuff, too. It could be that the gentle detergents in your current shampoo are still too irritating for your skin. My hair and skin hate coco-betaine, for instance, which is supposed to be "gentle." Soap might be a good alternative. I know many people love shampoo bars, but I prefer the convenience of liquid shampoo.
But don't put pure castille soap on your hair! Bad scene. Get something formulated just for hair.

One last thing: I hate to disagree with Bunnysaur, but I have very sensitive skin and when it is inflamed for one reason or another, putting tea tree on it is a bad idea. My skin loves the stuff under normal circumstances but I would strongly caution against using it on irritated skin. It can really burn and make things worse.

bumblebums
February 27th, 2012, 08:00 AM
There are lots of alternative washing methods you could try. Soapnuts should be combined with something more conditioning, like amla; have a look in the Indian herbs article in the articles section for ideas. That might help with the dryness.

There is a nice long thread on egg shampoo, called "egg shampoo questions." You could try that, if you are not averse to using eggs.

Even the baking soda+acid rinse method can be tweaked to be more successful. If it worked for you in the past and the only problem was that it gave you dry hair, there are ways to remedy that (e.g., make sure that you are using water that's not overly hard, otherwise BS doesn't dissolve; use the proper dilution strength, and pour the mixture on your scalp and not the length). Lots of help on that is available.

Heck, people even use *applesauce* to wash hair. I've done it, and it definitely does the job. The method is similar to CO (use a generous amount of applesauce and give it 10-15 min to work before rinsing).

holothuroidea
February 27th, 2012, 08:03 AM
If you don't have a detatchable shower head you can still wash and rinse your hair without getting any on your face.

If you rinse facing the shower head with your head tilted upwards (look directly at the shower head), you should be able to rinse your hair that way. It might take a little longer but you wont get any on your face. This should work as long as you're not super tall.

Bedhead
February 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM
My skin doesn't like anything. In using a shampoo, it doesn't matter how careful you are not to get in on your face during the wash, you're hair will still have the shampoo in it when dry and grazing your face when you look down, and sometimes it doesn't even take that. It could be it's going into your system and your allergic reaction could be acne.

If the bentonite clay is working for you, then why mess with something if it ain't broke? If you like your hair this way, go for it. I know society likes to tell you you need to use shampoo because it's "the best way to clean it", but that's not necessarily true.

I personally wash my face with raw organic coconut oil. Before I started doing this, I discovered my skin was severely dehydrated, not on top, but underneath, and the coconut oil hydrates without making my surface skin oily. As for my hair, I'm currently doing SO, but WO worked well for me as long as I used filtered water.

I'm curious? What happens if you use the clay and not use the cream after a while? If you still have acne, then, given the locations of your acne, I would look into what you're eating too. Tomatoes make me break out like crazy, even painful cystic acne, so I stay away from it and find alternatives. I'd also look at how you deal with stress. Are you nervous by nature? Unfortunately, all these things combined can result in bad skin, since skin reflects everything that's going on inside us. Remember, skin is an organ.

Oh! And I wanted to say, as benign as aloe may seem, I found out I'm allergic to that too, and I'm not alone, so that could be a contributing factor as far as the shampoo you were using.

heidi w.
February 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I believe I replied in the past in this thread.

I have super sensitive skin that can have a kind of buildup of dead cells that just sort of never slough off, so I have to take it off manually.

1. Never use a washcloth on skin. Sensitive skin needs careful care.
2. Never use soap on skin.
3. Never overly rub the skin, especially never rub hard.

4. My Seborrheic Dermatitus does crawl down from the hairline area. It becomes somewhat intense on my forehead.

5. There is, in my case, a correlation between pillowcase cleanliness and the seborrheid dermatitus. Washing the pillowcase, or changing it regularly, is important. Far more important than one might realize. Scalp skin oils do indeed rub off on the pillowcase and pillow as evidenced by the yellowishness that the pillow itself can sometimes fall prey to. I recommend using enough pillowcases so that this can be washed off somewhat easily. I have all white sheets and towels so I can use hot water and some bleach, too, when I wash these things.

My hair, if too built up with "greasiness" can inflame my skin. I just have to watch it.

heidi w.

cooklaezo13
February 27th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice! I feel like I have a lot of options to try and see what I can do about my hair and skin. I'm also going to try to be much more gentle with my skin and minimize rubbing and friction against the skin. This seems to be something consistent across many people's advice.
I washed my hair again with clay again today and I am still happy with the results of using clay washing. We will see where this takes me long-term.
I'm not sure whether aloe and tea tree oil are irritating to my skin or not. Sometimes tea tree oil burns my skin, but only when I don't dilute it enough. I also don't know of any allergies that I have, but I will look into it.

bumblebums
February 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure whether aloe and tea tree oil are irritating to my skin or not. Sometimes tea tree oil burns my skin, but only when I don't dilute it enough. I also don't know of any allergies that I have, but I will look into it.

Yeah, some people are allergic to aloe. I have a friend who has that problem--makes shopping for lotion impossible; aloe is in everything!