PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Almond Oil

kittengirl
February 19th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Forgive me if this is already a thread...I looked in the search but could not find one. I was just looking for a good oil for hair. I have used coconut oil but I feel like it makes my hair quite greasy. Has anyone used sweet almond oil? If so, how do you use it? Does anyone recommend another oil? I am looking for a conditioner as well as a growth aid. I would appreciate input from anyone who has used oils.:)

supbanana
February 19th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I've used sweet almond oil as a leave in oil and had no problems with it, but for moisturizing my hair likes olive oil.

kittengirl
February 19th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I've used sweet almond oil as a leave in oil and had no problems with it, but for moisturizing my hair likes olive oil.

How do you use the olive oil? Do you heat it? I remember once when I was a child and had waist length hair my mom doused it in olive oil to moisturize it and we could not get it out for days and days. We still laugh about that. :p

Lissandria
February 20th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I find it very heavy and greasy personally.

gazelle
February 20th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I use it for my hair care and make up removing. I've had no problem, it makes the hair soft and tangle free. At first greasy, but I put my hair up or in a braid, then next day, there is almost no almond oil on hair.

If I wear hair down and oil with sweet almond oil, it first seems like damp, but again the next day hair absorbs the oil.

I like it very much, cheap and available for me. I like coconut oil as much as SAO, but cold pressed is a bit pricey in my place. So, I like it and there is always one bottle of SAO in my cupboard

EtherealDoll
February 20th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I use it for moisturizing. My hair absorbs it very well and doesn't look greasy, but my hair is naturally dry. If you have oily hair, it would probably be very greasy after sweet almond oil.

Earth Angel
February 20th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I find it great for moisturising my skin but I feel it's a bit heavy for my hair, but that could be due to my hair being so fine. It might work better on normal to thicker hair though ;)

Lucky
February 20th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I have used it for my hair to good results. I put a drop or two into damp or dry hair and that's it. I don't think you need to heat it. My skin loves it too.

I also recommend jojoba oil, it's very light but makes my hair very soft. I do the same thing with jojoba, just a couple of drops rubbed between my hands and I run them down just the length of my hair (damp or dry).

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I use it mixed with other oils and diluted with water. I mist it on my hair and I do it daily.

mira-chan
February 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Sweet Almond oil didn't agree with my skin or hair chemistry. Made my skin feel crispy. Then again Coconut oil works wonderfully for me so you mileage may vary.

I've had good luck with Sesame oil (Indian not Chinese), and Japanese Camellia oil.

midsummernight
February 20th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Too much coconut oil or olive oil make my hair greasy. So I only use it to pre condition my hair before shampoo. But almond oil is different. My hair loves it as a leave in. I leave in a tiny amount and it leaves my hair very soft.

physicschick
February 20th, 2012, 08:07 PM
This thread is buggy. I'm replying to fix it. Let's hope it works...

roxee
February 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
almond oil can be alittle heavy on my hair but I find if I mix it 50/50 with grapeseed oil it makes make hair soft and smooth without weighing it down.

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 11:14 AM
I've used almond oil on and off for years, including these past few months, with no noticeable reactions (good or bad). However, yesterday after a heavy oiling, I experienced a lot of shedding, especially in the shower. It wasn't terrible, but bad. By night, my eyes were noticeably a bit swollen. Then, this morning, I woke up with irritated skin and even more swollen eyes. If you don't know me you probably might not know, so again it isn't awful, but still :(

I was looking up shedding from almond oil on here last night but found practically nothing, so it's even more strange.

So weird that it happened so randomly after many uses? And other oiling sessions with different ones haven't done much for me either, so I think I'm not going to oil anymore, or at least take a really long break. Sigh...

nycelle
May 16th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I've used almond oil on and off for years, including these past few months, with no noticeable reactions (good or bad). However, yesterday after a heavy oiling, I experienced a lot of shedding, especially in the shower. It wasn't terrible, but bad. By night, my eyes were noticeably a bit swollen. Then, this morning, I woke up with irritated skin and even more swollen eyes. If you don't know me you probably might not know, so again it isn't awful, but still :(

I was looking up shedding from almond oil on here last night but found practically nothing, so it's even more strange.

So weird that it happened so randomly after many uses? And other oiling sessions with different ones haven't done much for me either, so I think I'm not going to oil anymore, or at least take a really long break. Sigh...

How long have you had it? Wondering if it went bad. I remember reading sweet almond oil has a shelf life of one year.

JennGalt
May 16th, 2018, 01:03 PM

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. You can develop allergies at any point in your life, even to things you've used or eaten many times before. If you ever try oiling again, perhaps avoid almond oil like the plague. Hope you're doing better now!

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 04:35 PM
How long have you had it? Wondering if it went bad. I remember reading sweet almond oil has a shelf life of one year.

It's a brand new bottle, and I've used it twice already and nothing went wrong, at least not noticeably. Weird, huh? Thank you though, it's good to know! :heartbeat

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. You can develop allergies at any point in your life, even to things you've used or eaten many times before. If you ever try oiling again, perhaps avoid almond oil like the plague. Hope you're doing better now!

I think you're right. I've recently become very lactose intolerant too, whereas before I drank milk pretty much constantly and it was always fine lol. So strange how these things suddenly happen. I will definitely be avoiding almond oil from now on - thank you lots!

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 04:51 PM

There isn't particularly shedding "from almond oil", but shedding from oils on the scalp in general. It is a known thing that some people can experience, and others may not. If you experience that, stop putting *any kind of oil* on the scalp - for good!

Yes, it's not so weird, you can grow allergic to anything just about overnight.

nycelle
May 16th, 2018, 04:54 PM
It's a brand new bottle, and I've used it twice already and nothing went wrong, at least not noticeably. Weird, huh? Thank you though, it's good to know! :heartbeat

I think you're right. I've recently become very lactose intolerant too, whereas before I drank milk pretty much constantly and it was always fine lol. So strange how these things suddenly happen. I will definitely be avoiding almond oil from now on - thank you lots!

I really hope it's not a new allergy, because then, you're gonna need to check every hair care product (especially conditioners and treatments), for sweet almond oil since so many of them contain it.

Maybe it was something else, or just a fluke.

lapushka
May 16th, 2018, 05:01 PM
I really hope it's not a new allergy, because then, you're gonna need to check every hair care product (especially conditioners and treatments), for sweet almond oil since so many of them contain it.

Are there really that many products out there that contain sweet almond oil? Hair care? In the drugstore? I have so many products from there, and I have yet to run into one that contains sweet almond oil, I think.

nycelle
May 16th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Are there really that many products out there that contain sweet almond oil? Hair care? In the drugstore? I have so many products from there, and I have yet to run into one that contains sweet almond oil, I think.

Mine do. The ones, I've used in the past have, not all, but many. The ones I'm considering do to.

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 05:48 PM
There isn't particularly shedding "from almond oil", but shedding from oils on the scalp in general. It is a known thing that some people can experience, and others may not. If you experience that, stop putting *any kind of oil* on the scalp - for good!

Damn, overnight! Good to know that it's not weird then to become allergic to something out of nowhere basically. Yeah, I will be avoiding oils on the scalp for sure. It was pretty scary to see all that hair just fall and fall... I'm just really glad I didn't keep the oil on for very long.

Oh gosh... I hope it's not actually some random major allergy. Thanks for the heads up! Luckily my hair was okay after my usual wash, but I'll keep an eye out for that. Waking up to damaged skin and swollen eyes was not pleasant at all!

JennGalt
May 16th, 2018, 05:50 PM

It may not be general shedding from any oil. I had shedding and severe itching from an allergic reaction to fake olive oil. (Apparently most of the "olive" oil sold in the US doesn't come from olives but is still sold as such without an accurate ingredient list.) No other oil has caused shedding, or itching, and I've even since discovered real olive oil is still fine. Wish I knew what was in the fake stuff though, so I'd at least know what to avoid!

And yes, almond oil is commonly in hair care and other products. I've seen almond oil in various beauty products and body washes. When I worked as a massage therapist, it made frequent appearances in massage lotions.

And Glitch, if you aren't noticing any benefit from using oils it's probably best to give them up anyway. No sense in wasting money on them.

nycelle
May 16th, 2018, 05:59 PM
It may not be general shedding from any oil. I had shedding and severe itching from an allergic reaction to fake olive oil. (Apparently most of the "olive" oil sold in the US doesn't come from olives but is still sold as such without an accurate ingredient list.) No other oil has caused shedding, or itching, and I've even since discovered real olive oil is still fine. Wish I knew what was in the fake stuff though, so I'd at least know what to avoid!

And yes, almond oil is commonly in hair care and other products. I've seen almond oil in various beauty products and body washes. When I worked as a massage therapist, it made frequent appearances in massage lotions.

And Glitch, if you aren't noticing any benefit from using oils it's probably best to give them up anyway. No sense in wasting money on them.

I remember when the whole olive oil fiasco came to light. I switched to California Ranch olive oil after that. Funny how that one domestic olive oil costs more than the imports ..guessing it's because it's actually pure olive oil.

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Interesting. For some reason, I often tend to assume companies are "honest" out here, crazy that you dealt with fake olive oil!

Yeah, I personally haven't noticed benefits, but I thought it's maybe because oils haven't ever been a regular part of my routine? Well, besides the spray on treatments, which I stopped and also noticed no difference after stopping lol...
Anyway, there are a couple more oil routines that I'm very curious about (I already own the oils), but I'm taking a break from all oils until I feel okay/skin and swelling is back to normal etc. But yeah, I just may end up never using oils again if this wasn't a fluke and they're actually hurting me! I also recently used coconut oil on my lips and they became extremely dry. I just wonder why I'm like this :doh:

blushy
May 16th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Personally for me, sweet almond oil is better for moisturizing my skin than hair. I would recommend avocado oil or olive oil for your hair if you haven't tried them. My hair LOVES it.

DryadicSeaNymph
May 16th, 2018, 07:44 PM

My daughter has suddenly become extremely allergic to beef. Just... Wow.

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Personally for me, sweet almond oil is better for moisturizing my skin than hair. I would recommend avocado oil or olive oil for your hair if you haven't tried them. My hair LOVES it.

Thanks love! I had the same reaction to olive oil in the past, but haven't ever tried avocado oil :o

My daughter has suddenly become extremely allergic to beef. Just... Wow.

I just find it bizarre, and it keeps happening to those around me as well (suddenly becoming allergic to whatever). It's just so random :confused:

DryadicSeaNymph
May 16th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Thanks love! I had the same reaction to olive oil in the past, but haven't ever tried avocado oil :o

I just find it bizarre, and it keeps happening to those around me as well (suddenly becoming allergic to whatever). It's just so random :confused:

I read a bit more about this, it seems that a lot of ladies who have gone natural have discovered reactions to almond, olive, and even coconut...

Glitch
May 16th, 2018, 09:28 PM
I read a bit more about this, it seems that a lot of ladies who have gone natural have discovered reactions to almond, olive, and even coconut...

Really? How interesting. I wonder why...
Were they forum discussions or articles? I'd love to know more.

DryadicSeaNymph
May 16th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Oh, no I was searching on google. I haven't done a forum search here yet. :)

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 03:41 AM
Almond oil and avocado oil are lighter oils and, by now, the bests that I've tried for my hair - and I've tried a bunch! I also add some few drops of essence oils to it, so it also smells good :)

Natashap
May 17th, 2018, 05:00 AM
Avocado is oil great ..

TreesOfEternity
May 20th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I've tried almond oil to add shine between washes and it made my hair crunchy, has anyone experienced this?

nycelle
May 20th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I've tried almond oil to add shine between washes and it made my hair crunchy, has anyone experienced this?

That's very weird.. I haven't heard of sweet almond oil doing that.. but I suppose it's possible? hmm..

TreesOfEternity
May 20th, 2018, 12:18 PM
It was weird for me as well as I use lots of oils without problem and don't even use cones that could build up so I don't have a clue. Will use it again for sure to figure out why this happened (if it happens again!).

JennGalt
May 20th, 2018, 03:22 PM

Does it do this after only one use? Perhaps your hair doesn't like it. It can happen to me if I use it a few days consecutively, but if I alternate it with sealing oils (e.g. olive or grapeseed) it doesn't happen. Just gets shinier and easy to detangle :) I think mixing it with other oils would work too, but I haven't gotten around to trying.

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 03:22 PM
It was weird for me as well as I use lots of oils without problem and don't even use cones that could build up so I don't have a clue. Will use it again for sure to figure out why this happened (if it happens again!).

Would love to hear if it's indeed what caused the crunchiness! I experimented with both almond and jojoba oil so I'm not sure if one of them potentially caused crunchiness for me a few weeks ago, or whether it was simply silicone build up.

TreesOfEternity
May 20th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Would love to hear if it's indeed what caused the crunchiness! I experimented with both almond and jojoba oil so I'm not sure if one of them potentially caused crunchiness for me a few weeks ago, or whether it was simply silicone build up.

I just applied a little bit of sweet almond oil before braiding, I'll let you know tomorrow how the experiment went! I use lots of jojoba oil and my hair really likes it.

Does it do this after only one use? Perhaps your hair doesn't like it. It can happen to me if I use it a few days consecutively, but if I alternate it with sealing oils (e.g. olive or grapeseed) it doesn't happen. Just gets shinier and easy to detangle :) I think mixing it with other oils would work too, but I haven't gotten around to trying.

Yes, it was my first and only use. I'll try combining it with grapeseed the next time and see what happens if this second attempt goes wrong again.

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I just applied a little bit of sweet almond oil before braiding, I'll let you know tomorrow how the experiment went! I use lots of jojoba oil and my hair really likes it.

Okay great! I hope the crunchiness doesn't happen again for you though :)

blushy
May 20th, 2018, 07:29 PM

I'm also really interested in what caused the crunchiness! I have this problem with oils as well, usually with coconut oil though!

p3anutbuttercup
December 21st, 2019, 12:27 AM
I am thinking about using almond oil in my hair as well. I just started using a product with some in it. But Iím thinking about getting a bottle of almond oil.

lakhesis
December 21st, 2019, 01:37 AM
I am thinking about using almond oil in my hair as well. I just started using a product with some in it. But I’m thinking about getting a bottle of almond oil.

I can really recommend that, especially if you can see it is working well for you in that product. It is my favorite oil, I either use it on its own or I add it to conditioners and masks.

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2019, 11:02 AM
I also had products with sweet almond oil and my hair loved it, so I just got a bottle to use alone :)

p3anutbuttercup
December 21st, 2019, 03:17 PM
I can really recommend that, especially if you can see it is working well for you in that product. It is my favorite oil, I either use it on its own or I add it to conditioners and masks.

I used it once so far and I’m impressed by how my hair reacted to it. So I am excited to see what it does after a month of using it I think the oil I’m using difeel anti-frizz oil. It has almond oil vitamins A&E and I believe olive oil. I don’t have it with me right now. But I’m pretty sure that’s what it is.

Vacurlylady
December 22nd, 2019, 10:20 AM
Iíve used Pure Sweet Almond oil ever since I started growing out my hair. It was the first oil I ever picked up. I love it! No crunchiness whatsoever.

Alissalocks
January 5th, 2020, 09:19 PM
I've used sweet almond oil 2x week for years, no crunchies. I love to mix mine with essential oils to create unique blends for me each season. Sometimes just a drop or two, sometimes palmfuls at a time if I'm deep-oiling. Hope it works out for you!

HairWitch
January 5th, 2020, 09:59 PM
Almond oil is one of the few that I can use. For me, it's light, and doesn't make my hair too greasy.

TreesOfEternity
January 6th, 2020, 02:58 AM
So as an update to previous posts of mine: almost 2 years have passed and my hair still doesnít get on well with almond oil. Probably the only oil it does not like.

Iíve tried different brands, even mixing it with other oils, and it always feels heavy and sticky and makes my hair tangle like crazy.

At least I tried! I really wanted to like this oil as itís relatively cheap compared to argan oil for instance, but Iím glad it works for you :flower:

lapushka
January 6th, 2020, 04:49 AM
So as an update to previous posts of mine: almost 2 years have passed and my hair still doesn’t get on well with almond oil. Probably the only oil it does not like.

I’ve tried different brands, even mixing it with other oils, and it always feels heavy and sticky and makes my hair tangle like crazy.

At least I tried! I really wanted to like this oil as it’s relatively cheap compared to argan oil for instance, but I’m glad it works for you :flower:

Yes at least you tried, but it makes no sense to keep trying if it really does not want to work for you. :flower:

Sweet almond is pretty light though, though *very* moisturizing (I used to use it underneath my Nivea blue tin on my very dry face). Maybe a much lighter oil like grapeseed?

TreesOfEternity
January 6th, 2020, 04:55 AM
Yes at least you tried, but it makes no sense to keep trying if it really does not want to work for you. :flower:

Sweet almond is pretty light though, though *very* moisturizing (I used to use it underneath my Nivea blue tin on my very dry face). Maybe a much lighter oil like grapeseed?

I use oils on my face as well :) maybe that’s another use I could give the remaining almond oil I have.

For my hair grapeseed works well, my favorites are argan and jojoba, and olive and coconut for pre-poo. Maybe almond oil feels heavy to me just because it sits on my hair without being absorbed, who knows haha.

lapushka
January 6th, 2020, 05:44 AM
I use oils on my face as well :) maybe that’s another use I could give the remaining almond oil I have.

For my hair grapeseed works well, my favorites are argan and jojoba, and olive and coconut for pre-poo. Maybe almond oil feels heavy to me just because it sits on my hair without being absorbed, who knows haha.

FWIW, I used to drop a couple of drops on a cotton ball, and then swipe it over my face, that was enough, then I sealed with the Nivea. At least that is how I used it up until age 44, then I started to use a hyaluronic acid serum underneath my Nivea. So much better for my age (over 40).

enting
January 6th, 2020, 06:07 AM
Almond oil is generally a classic for all kinds of skin, barring allergies, and leaving allowances for varied personal experiences. I started using it on my face when it was still on the oily/greasy side, and I continue to use it now that my skin is drier. It's what a lot of massage therapists use, too.

My skin adores it, it doesn't just tolerate it. My hair is okay with it but it isn't my hair's favorite. They're allowed to like different things :) .