PDA

View Full Version : Camellia sinensis

PrairieRose
February 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I just found out that various types of Camellia seeds are used to make Camellia oil.
Oleifera
Japonica
Sasanqua
& Sinensis
are all seeds used to make 100% pure Camellia oil!
Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there a difference in which seed the oil is made from? I recently purchased Camellia oil, but it turns out it is made from the Sinensis seed. Will all of them benefit your hair in the same way? :confused:

adiapalic
February 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM
C. sinensis is actually what popular tea is made from. I didn't realize camellia oil was actually edible--apparently it's not uncommon to use for cooking--until I looked it up just now. It also appears that most camellia oil is made from C. sinensis, and I'm willing to bet that's because they're in much higher production agriculturally for their tea leaves than other camellia species which tend to mainly be planted for ornamental purposes.

I'm sure the quality can't vary too much per which seed what oil is made from.

Sasanqua Camellias are some of my favorites in the garden. :)

trolleypup
February 19th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I just found out that various types of Camellia seeds are used to make Camellia oil. (Camellia oleifera, C. japonica, C. sasanqua, and C. sinensis )
Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there a difference in which seed the oil is made from? I recently purchased Camellia oil, but it turns out it is made from the Sinensis seed. Will all of them benefit your hair in the same way? :confused:
Likely any premium camellia oil you get will be C. sinensis (Tea), cheaper camellia oils (for cooking or industrial purposes) would be more likely to be from C. oleifera (Oil Camellia). For what it is worth, C. sasanqua and C. oleifera are closely related, C. sinensis, and C. japonica less so.

Most likely the oils are all pretty similar as Camellia is a fairly close knit genus (genetically). C. oleifera has been bred for oil production, breeding in the other species has been for other purposes (tea and ornamental purposes).

These are just my guesses based on growing up in a botanical household where my dad is a long time camellia researcher and breeder. If I was back home, I could dig into the seed stashes to create samples of the oils...since, for the most part, those four species are ones the nursery harvested significant numbers of seeds.

adiapalic
February 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Likely any premium camellia oil you get will be C. sinensis (Tea), cheaper camellia oils (for cooking or industrial purposes) would be more likely to be from C. oleifera (Oil Camellia). For what it is worth, C. sasanqua and C. oleifera are closely related, C. sinensis, and C. japonica less so.

Most likely the oils are all pretty similar as Camellia is a fairly close knit genus (genetically). C. oleifera has been bred for oil production, breeding in the other species has been for other purposes (tea and ornamental purposes).

These are just my guesses based on growing up in a botanical household where my dad is a long time camellia researcher and breeder. If I was back home, I could dig into the seed stashes to create samples of the oils...since, for the most part, those four species are ones the nursery harvested significant numbers of seeds.

Awesome. :)

PrairieRose
February 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks Trolleypup and adiapalicfor the information! Very interesting:D

papillon
February 20th, 2012, 10:57 PM
The camellia oil that I have is from Japan and is 100% Camellia japonica seed oil. Camellia japonica is native to east Asia. So, the type of camellia seed may depend on the origin of the product.

PrairieRose
February 21st, 2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks papillon! I don't think mine if from Japan.

StormVixen
February 21st, 2012, 09:39 AM
I have Cameillia Kissi Oil, is that any of the above?

PrairieRose
February 21st, 2012, 10:49 AM
I have Cameillia Kissi Oil, is that any of the above?
Not sure:confused:

trolleypup
February 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM
I have Camellia Kissi Oil, is that any of the above?
Likely this is Camellia sasanqua oil. Camellia kissi is a less common species that is closely related to C. sasanqua, and the name is sometimes used as a synonym. Presumably, the name is used for marketing purposes.

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 09:15 AM
I cannot for the life of me figure out what plant my camellia oil comes from. I don't know why but that bothers me. It does come in a beautiful bottle, though.

PrairieRose
February 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
I cannot for the life of me figure out what plant my camellia oil comes from. I don't know why but that bothers me. It does come in a beautiful bottle, though.

How do you like using the oil? I love it!! It is so much lighter on my hair, which is good because I love to oil but then end of looking like a grease ball!

Trolleypup...thanks again for your answers!:D

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 02:11 PM
How do you like using the oil? I love it!! It is so much lighter on my hair, which is good because I love to oil but then end of looking like a grease ball!

Trolleypup...thanks again for your answers!:D

I love it. I have no desire to try any other oil on my hair. It's perfect. Since I've started using it I have had no tangles. Ever. (!!!) It's amazing for my skin, too. I mix it with a little AVG and water and it works 100X better than any lotion I've ever tried. It's really amazing stuff.

Next time I'll look for a brand where I can see what plant it comes from. My bottle is written half in Japanese, which makes me very happy, but unfortunately I can't read it. The only thing in English it says is "Camellia Seed Essence."

PrairieRose
February 22nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
I love it. I have no desire to try any other oil on my hair. It's perfect. Since I've started using it I have had no tangles. Ever. (!!!) It's amazing for my skin, too. I mix it with a little AVG and water and it works 100X better than any lotion I've ever tried. It's really amazing stuff.

Next time I'll look for a brand where I can see what plant it comes from. My bottle is written half in Japanese, which makes me very happy, but unfortunately I can't read it. The only thing in English it says is "Camellia Seed Essence."

Do you put the AVG/water/oil mixture in a spritzer bottle? I was thinking something like that may work, but I didn't think of AVG! I may try that:)

holothuroidea
February 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Do you put the AVG/water/oil mixture in a spritzer bottle? I was thinking something like that may work, but I didn't think of AVG! I may try that:)

I just mix it up in my hand and use it after I shower. I don't need to use it more than once a day (it is that good!) so it's not an inconvenience. I don't think it would work in a spritzer, I mix half AVG and half water in my hand then add a couple drops of oil. Those ratios might be too thick for an atomizer. Maybe a lotion pump would work?

PrairieRose
February 23rd, 2012, 05:43 AM
I just mix it up in my hand and use it after I shower. I don't need to use it more than once a day (it is that good!) so it's not an inconvenience. I don't think it would work in a spritzer, I mix half AVG and half water in my hand then add a couple drops of oil. Those ratios might be too thick for an atomizer. Maybe a lotion pump would work?
That is probably true. Thanks for your ratio, sounds good. :)