PDA

View Full Version : Tying hair overnight or not?

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Well I'm sure this topic has been discussed a hundred thousand times already but I am a newbie so bare with me :p

My question is the following my hair is currently at shoulder length, is this the most critical length that risks breakages when tossing and turning at night?

Tying it wont hold, whether in a bun or braided. I would like to keep it from being damaged overnight specially during this *intermediary* length.... Any ideas?

pepperminttea
February 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Many people swear by silk-satin sleep caps? :) Assuming you're in the US, there's some specific product recommendations in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33457) that might interest you.

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Thank you very much. :)

silverjen
At shoulder length, a top-of-the-head ponytail or bun should work. It will get the majority of your length up, even though your shortest hair probably won't reach yet. I use this method, and right now I'm at chin.

whitedove
I know this may sound silly but have you tried doing more than 1 braid? I use to split my hair into quarters and braid all 4. Makes you look silly but it is a option for you. :)

ravenheather
February 19th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I use a top of the head bun or a twist in back with a snap barrette. Then I cover with a silk scarf. It usually stays on half the night or more.

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I haven't tied my hair up but I do buns and different sleep styles.

Madora
February 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I second the sleep cap idea.

If you want to protect your hair, I would not suggest putting it in a ponytail holder of any sort.

You also might like to try braiding a shoelace into your braid and tying it off to hold it in place.

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 07:44 AM
that's all wonderful ideas. I know Morocan women put oil in their hair then tie it hard into a ribbon (or in a piece of ripped tights sometimes!) and sleep that way, in this sort of Egyptian looking pony tail. In french it's called "Cardoune", I don't know about the name in English. It's supposed to hydrate the hair, and to naturally straighten it.

jojo
February 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I just braid mine and use no ties and i sleep on a satin pillow case

Kelikea
February 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Satin or silk pillow case or a sleep cap/bonnet. I make ponytail holders out of old pantyhose, knee highs, or the spanx type shorts that you can wear instead of hose. Just cut off rings of the thicker material. They are very soft and non-damaging for sleep ponytails.

Renate
February 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Have you tried wrapping your hair? A lot of black ladies do it, I'm considering doing it too. You don't need long hair to do it.

http://youtu.be/-uoFcK_zM8o

Darkessa
February 19th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Im with the sleep cap idea as well.

I put my hair in a bun for the LONGEST time, but when I discovered a satin cap... Man. I was SO happy.
Its all a matter of gathering your hair into the cap, adjusting, then voila! Super easy and super effective!

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Have you tried wrapping your hair? A lot of black ladies do it, I'm considering doing it too. You don't need long hair to do it.

http://youtu.be/-uoFcK_zM8o

your hair is like WOA. I want the same!

Thanks for the vid! :)

Renate
February 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM
your hair is like WOA. I want the same!

Thanks for the vid! :)

Thank you and you're welcome :)

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 04:43 PM
You can also consider sleeping on a slippery fabricked pillowcase such as satin, sateen, polyester.

And I would say that any length is a time to be concerned about damage, because once you have damage, the only way to remove it is by cutting it out.

heidi w.

cobden 28
February 20th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I leave my hair loose at night, although my husband does sometimes complain that when I flick the ends of my hair out of my way on the pillow that my hair catches him in the face!

Miss Catrina
February 20th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I found that sleep caps never stayed on my head when I tried one at APL, but I'm using a satin pillowcase now (a cheap one from Sally's) and loving it. I think it depends on how your hair behaves - if your hair isn't prone to tangling, a satin pillowcase might be all you need - if it tangles you need to restrain it somehow.