PDA

View Full Version : Dairy or not dairy?

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 05:50 AM
So I have heard/read that dairies helped boosting hair growth. The problem is I try to steer clear of dairies, replacing it by Soja milk and stuff. My question is, is my diet actually slowing down the hair growth? Is there a study out there that proves dairies are good for the hair or is it a myth?

Coan-Teen
February 19th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Personally I have never heard that but if I had to hazard a guess I would say any possible improvement to hair growth while eating dairy could be attributed to the healthy fats in milk. That's just my theory, but like I said, I've never heard that before. I'll be interested to see if it's true. I am a milk fiend and go through cereal like no one's business. :D

Snippety
February 19th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I'd like to know too. I hardly eat any dairy as it irritates my digestive system. I have a very small amount of cheese, just to taste sometimes and that's about it. I've not heard that before, and not had any problems with my hair. I do take a vitamin supplement each day.

Moonlake
February 19th, 2012, 06:17 AM

GaJunebug
February 19th, 2012, 06:54 AM
As an aside on the dairy question- or "here we go on a tangent"- I've found that the consumption of organic dairy has been beneficial to reduce my acne.

I believe it has to do with the hormones that general dairies sometimes give their cows to increase milk production. Think about it, cows naturally produce milk to feed their young and at that time, they have certain hormones in their systems that tell their bodies to produce milk. Nowadays, hormones are given to cows to keep them in a constant state of milk production and to increase their milk output- and, those hormones are then excreted into the milk.

I don't like adding any extra hormones into my system as my Momma's breast cancer may have been hormone linked - so, by consuming hormone free dairy, I'm trying to keep my body free of potential hormone spikes and have gotten clearer skin as an added benefit.

(just wanted to share this info and now, back to dairy and hair!)

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I don't know about that being true but a girl I knew swore chicken eating it a lot made her hair grow.

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM
As an aside on the dairy question- or "here we go on a tangent"- I've found that the consumption of organic dairy has been beneficial to reduce my acne.

I believe it has to do with the hormones that general dairies sometimes give their cows to increase milk production. Think about it, cows naturally produce milk to feed their young and at that time, they have certain hormones in their systems that tell their bodies to produce milk. Nowadays, hormones are given to cows to keep them in a constant state of milk production and to increase their milk output- and, those hormones are then excreted into the milk.

I don't like adding any extra hormones into my system as my Momma's breast cancer may have been hormone linked - so, by consuming hormone free dairy, I'm trying to keep my body free of potential hormone spikes and have gotten clearer skin as an added benefit.

(just wanted to share this info and now, back to dairy and hair!)

In this days and age can we ever be 100% what we swallow is hormone free though?....
About the acne, I noticed it was linked to dairies & so is rosacea... I guess key word is balance. :)

GaJunebug
February 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Balance in every aspect of everything is key- I totally agree with you!

I hear what you're saying about packaging and whether or not to believe if companies are being honest. We've been purchasing a large portion of our meats for some time now from an Amish farm in the area so I do trust them. I still believe there are a few companies that have the integrity to actually stand by what's printed on their labels. The company I purchase my dairy from is one such company. We have a large garden and I'm a preserver so we try to grow as much of our food as is possible. All this being said, we still eat out every so often, enjoy meals at the home of friends and family that don't subscribe to our food concerns and try not to let it get in the way of life. But, at home, we try to be conscious of what we consume. Again, balance is crucial.

( My background is in Virology and Microbiology and I worked for an avian vaccine producer, in two states doing testing of animals as well as in a lab that conducted food safety testing- )

Pecheresse
February 19th, 2012, 08:41 AM
GJ with such a background you prolly know exactly what's going on in our plates.... I hope it doesn't give you nightmares ;)
Balance and healthy consciousness.... program of 2012. I shall try hormon-free dairies see if I digest it all nicely. :)

see_turtle
February 19th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Not sure about the answer but I know that I am a vegan and so do not consume any dairy and my hair is pretty healthy and grows at a good clip. I think overall diet is important not if you consume one particular food or drink or not.

Annalouise
February 19th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I vote: myth. I am vegan and my hair is growing as fast as it ever has. It certainly didn't slow in growth after becoming a vegan.:)

EdG
February 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I too vote "myth".

Hair grows at the same rate regardless of what one eats. Any healthy diet will do.
Ed

firicia
February 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM
It probably works very well, if one is a baby calf:D Well for their growth of what they need to grow anyways.

I'd have to go with myth as well, I am allergic and my hair is growing great. :) But with anything in life experiment for yourself, we're all different.

jojo
February 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
a balanced diet is all that is needed, to grow good quality hair. Hair will still grow with a limited diet.

Tota
February 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I would agree with myth.

Amber_Maiden
February 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM
No, I've been a vegan for almost 8 years and it doesn't make my hair grow slower. As long as you are getting the same vitamins it doesn't matter- and soy milk has added vitamins to it, ie. calcium.

Pirate Cat
February 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I know raw milk is a divisive issue, but those interested should definitely check out the work of the Weston A. Price foundation for the benefits of raw, whole milk and other healthy fats. DH and I have had nothing but good from eating this way so far.

mira-chan
February 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I'm allergic to cow milk, so I'd say it's not essential. Same as the posters above stated, a nutritionally balanced diet is what matters. There are many other things that can be eaten instead of dairy.

MegaMystery
February 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I think the fats and vitamins that are found in milk can also be found in other foods. So unless you have a really unbalanced diet you should be getting all the nutrients you need and you won't have to worry about slowing your hair growth :)

dwell_in_safety
February 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I think it's a myth. I rarely eat any dairy because my roommate is lactose intolerant, and my hair growth certainly hasn't slowed any since I drank cow's milk most mornings in my cereal.

PixxieStix
February 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM
No one particular food group is going to boost hair growth or anything, it's about having a balance. What you can get from dairy you can also get from other sources, so I wouldn't worry about it if you do not wish to eat dairy. :)

IndigoOptimist
February 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Dairy has quite a bit of protein and hair/skin/nails all need protein in order to grow as I believe that's basically what most of their mass is (hair and nails at least). But you can get protein from so many other things. A balanced diet is all you really need I think :)

Kelikea
February 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
My sister, mom and I do not drink milk. We do eat meat, eggs, and a lot of veggies. My sister and I drink soy milk, but mom doesn't. I do worry about hormones in milk, even though all the milk around here promises not to use rbgh(?), but I also worry about the hormones in soy. So, sometimes I will get almond or coconut milk, but neither has the protein soy milk has. We all have healthy hair, though:)

I think eating a well-balanced diet, drinking enough water, exercising, and taking care of your hair are all more important than specific food groups or vitamins.

zombi
February 19th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Dairy makes me quite sick so I don't consume it -- and I wouldn't start to again even if it DOES make hair grow faster!!

I think others have already hit the nail on the head by saying a healthy and balanced diet, whether or not it contains dairy, is what really helps with hair growth (and other things in life, too)! Making sure your nutrient needs are being met is important.