PDA

View Full Version : Velcro rollers before shower

julliams
February 19th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I just read a thread where someone suggested that they put velcro rollers in their dry hair, then took a shower with the view that the steam would help set the hair.

Has anyone tried this? I might give it a go to find out. Being in Australia, I just can't get my hands on a Caruso hairsetter so I'm wondering if this technique would work in a similar way.

I would probably put a hairnet over the rollers before showering.

kitten1986
February 19th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Ooh that sounds like a good idea but you would want to make sure your hair was completely dry and cool before you took them back out again.
I bought some massive pink velcro rollers from woolies a few weeks ago so I might give this a go... when the weather cools down and I am actually having showers hot enough to generate steam hahaha

Ocelan
February 19th, 2012, 01:48 AM
I think that sounds pretty good and I've found that atleast going to sauna (we do love our saunas here in Finland) with my dry hair in a bun works this way and gives nice curls to my otherwise stick straight hair. The steamy shower way just sounds more gentle since hot sauna and dry hair combination isn't the greatest thing there is anyway. I think trying it can't hurt anyway :)

Carolyn
February 19th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Be very wary of using Velcro rollers. They tend to shred hair and rip hair out. They are not exactly long hair friendly. I used them when I had bangs and layers. I noticed my rollers were becoming covered with ripped out hair after a while. My Velcro rollers went to Goodwill. Others here have experienced the same thing.

julliams
February 20th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Yes it wasn't pretty taking them out. It's almost like whichever way you unroll, you tangle more and more. I don't have particuarly tangled hair so it wasn't too bad but yes, I can see how it can be damaging.

stkl
February 20th, 2012, 06:38 AM
You can always try removing the velcro and using bobby pins or those special rollers clips to hold them in place - works for me :)

Kristin
February 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Be very wary of using Velcro rollers. They tend to shred hair and rip hair out. They are not exactly long hair friendly.

Yes. I used to use them all the time, and while they gave me best volume, I'm pretty sure they were breaking my hair. Even if they don't get tangled during removal, your hair is stuck between all those little tines. Mine went in the garbage when I bought magnetic rollers.

hototogisu
February 20th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Try using magnetic rollers with clips - same size and effect as velcro rollers, without the heinous tangling.

rachel809
February 20th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Wow - I have been having this same issue! I use Caruso, and then place velcro rollers in to give a bigger curl/volume, and have been cringing when I see the mess.

Will definitely try the magnetic rollers.

Also, julliams, I think a nice hot bath would give you the same effect as a hot shower, maybe more relaxing though. Just a thought!

Miss Catrina
February 20th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Sponge rollers would probably make a more hair-friendly alternative.

Amber_Maiden
February 20th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Be very wary of using Velcro rollers. They tend to shred hair and rip hair out. They are not exactly long hair friendly.

Exactly what I was thinking. Damaging.

kidari
February 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM
The concept is good but the velcro rollers would really only be good on short hair. I do this sometimes. I have a pin curl set in and I pop on a showercap and take a shower. The steam from the shower really help to set the curls but make sure they fully dry and cool down before you take them out!

Helenae
February 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Are these velcro/magnetic rollers heat/electronic products?

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Sorry to be the curmudgeon in the group, but I think that "wet steam" will not overly help to curl the hair. AND mixing velcro and hair I can hardly vote for. This seems to me like a bad, nasty tangle waiting to happen. You might unroll it and have just wet hair. I'm a stick straight person and anything with heat, and water mixed means my hair does NOT curl. In fact, it acts like humidity and removes any curl. But my hair is very, very hard to curl. It takes hours to get my hair to merely bend. LOL

I wonder......
hmmm.

heidi w.

HintOfMint
February 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Like Heidi said, the wet steam may be counterproductive, HOWEVER, I think with a really good showercap, it could work at sealing out the excess water and you just have the warmth with a little bit of humidity.

I do something like this, only I put it in a bun, cover it in a showercap, and take a shower.

I wouldn't do velcro either. Pin curls, or any other hair friendly alternative would be fine.

Ocelan
February 21st, 2012, 01:54 AM
Humidity does that to my hair aswell, straightens it, but only if it's in curled and the weight of it helped with humidity pulls it down.
If I have hair in curlers or in a bun, this thing works but as said before, the hair needs to be able to dry completely before taking the whatever thing that is making it go that shape off.

And yes, the velcro rollers are awful. I didn't even remember we were talking about velcro rollers when I was posting my last reply.
I have a set of big velcro rollers and I don't really know why, since they do nothing to my hair it being stick straight anyway. They barely made my hair into waves the twice when I've used the rollers in the about 10 years I've had them (Why do I still keep the darn things?). They are really a pain to take off and if I put them up to my scalp, my scalp hates them too.

Maybe if you have velcro rollers but dont want to throw them away, try covering them with (clean :P ) old socks or smaller pieces of fabric if they're too small for the socks and pin the rollers in place instead?

Arya
February 21st, 2012, 02:03 AM
What my grandmother would do is pinroll hair that's just a little bit damp, and wait for it to dry completely. My pincurls would stay for days this way.

SoulOfTheSea
February 21st, 2012, 02:31 AM
If you don't want the damage of velcro rollers, you could also try rag curls. :)