PDA

View Full Version : Realization...

Keller1128
February 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
So I have breakage at the back of my head where a ponytail might go, but I haven't worn a ponytail in a loooong time. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I think I found the culprit today. After I condition my hair, I put it up with a claw clip to keep it out of the way for a while. Well, I felt the claw clip today and it has seams! Why did I not check for that? Does anyone else think this could be the problem? What do you use, if anything, to keep hair out of the way while you shower?

Hollyfire3
February 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Ohhh this could be bad for me! I can barley fit all of my hair into a huge claw clip, so it tugs quite a bit...i never even thought of this being such a problem, yeah i thought of a strand or two breaking but nothing like that! i wonder if they make seamless claw clips....i have no other way to hold my hair back in the shower.

Amber_Maiden
February 18th, 2012, 09:01 PM
You've probably discovered the reason!

kidari
February 18th, 2012, 09:06 PM
You should use a shower cap instead!

Keller1128
February 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Well I'm glad that I know now - at least I hope that was the culprit. I won't use it for a few months and see if the breakage grows out. I'm just going to hold my hair up while I wash my back, rinse off, then let it down.

Keller1128
February 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
If I used a shower cap it would get all slimy and wet and probably moldy after a while.

KwaveT
February 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Nice warning though. I know to stay away from those now.

The-Young-Maid
February 18th, 2012, 09:37 PM
You could still use a cap if you rinse it out when your done.:)

Knittycat
February 18th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I don't use anything. I usually just pull my hair over my shoulder.

HintOfMint
February 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I just do a french twist type thing only on top of my head and the conditioner helps it stay there. There have been times that a clip would have been helpful, but most of the time, it stays put.

truepeacenik
February 18th, 2012, 10:18 PM
I've taken to using an acrylic hair stick in th shower to hold hair t of the way, wet, dry or drippy with conditioner.

jeanniet
February 19th, 2012, 01:32 AM
It sounds like the claw clip is the problem. I use a shower cap (rinse and hang up after, and they dry just fine), an acrylic hair stick, or sometimes even a sleep cap to keep my hair up if I'm not washing it.

fridgee
February 19th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Two words... spin pins! (seems to be my answer to just about every thread atm lol!) They work great on wet slimy (from condish) hair (or dry hair you don't want to wet) and are totally nondamaging. If you want to keep using your claw clip you could try sanding the seams.

EtherealDoll
February 19th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, it's probably the claw clip that's causing the breakage.
I usually use hair sticks.

elthia
February 19th, 2012, 03:29 AM
I second the use of shower caps...three to a pack, cheap easy and reusable.

white.chocolate
February 19th, 2012, 03:36 AM
That's probably the reason you have damage on that spot. Best to observe now without the clip. :)

Does anybody else just leave their hair be in the shower? I often keep it down in a single English braid and the length gets wet. I don't mind it. I'm actually glad it gets wet so that the waves from all the styles I do straighten back. I hope there isn't anything harmful with what I'm doing.

Milui Elenath
February 19th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Sounds like the culprit to me, it's funny the things you don't notice sometimes isn't it?

As to other options of pinning I use a metal U pin with my hair in a cinnabun or a bent knitting needle. Sometimes I wear a shower cap too. To stop them becoming moldy and slimy just hang it somewhere it will stay dry and can air. If you do need to wash it now and then just do so when you wash your hair and again hang it to dry. It's only if they are left in the shower cubicle ( on the hanging soap/shampoo rack) that they go disgusting! (I know ;) )

Aggemam
February 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM
I use a shower cap if I don't want it wet and also if it's wet after conditioning, while letting the conditioner soak in.

paper
February 19th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I use a claw clip too in the shower. Thanks for the warning! I stopped wearing ponytails a long time ago because of this problem!

Snippety
February 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I use a shower cap if my hair is dry, or If I've washed it beforehand I wrap it in a towel on top of my head. :)

pepperminttea
February 19th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Another vote for shower caps. Just rinse them out when you're done, and hang them up in the shower so they can drip dry, and they shouldn't mould. :)

Keller1128
February 19th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Looks like shower cap or hair stick is the best option. Thanks for all the input! I'll try both and see which I like best. I like the spin pin idea and agree that they are awesome, but I had a pair that got a little worn from using them in wet hair.

Madora
February 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM
If I used a shower cap it would get all slimy and wet and probably moldy after a while.

All you need to do is wash it off after you're through using it!

Using a shower cap is much preferable to hair damage from clips..or having to keep it out of the way with your hands when showering.

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I never knew they were bad for your hair. I'm going to check mine.

bedazzlecat
February 19th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I use a big scrunchie bun.

jojo
February 19th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I put my shower caps on the refresh cycle of my washer! an acrylic hair stick does the job well too!

Georgies
February 19th, 2012, 08:55 AM
You know, I've had this problem for a long time, even after I cut my hair so short I couldn't wear pony tails or claw clips. Now I think that the hair at the back of my crown is a different texture than the rest of my hair and needs totally different care. I started moisturizing the heck out of it and it's alot better. It absorbs more oil and gets much drier and more brittle than the rest of my hair, it's like 2 totally different hair types on one head...

jessa
February 19th, 2012, 11:32 PM
second the scrunchie-bun

Naiadryade
February 20th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I put my hair in a bun on top of my head in the shower sometimes. I've been just using regular hair-ties but I'm about to get scrunchies, which is a much better idea.

Has anyone used shower caps outside of the shower over let-it-sit-an-hour hair treatments? I've read advice suggesting wrapping your hair in saran wrap for these, but a shower cap seems so much more reusable, less wasteful, and probably easier since it's one piece already in the right shape!