PDA

View Full Version : New tucked braid updo! *pics!*

littleizz
February 18th, 2012, 05:38 PM
New to me, anyway! I won't be so bold as to say that I'm the first, since I'm sure someone here has done it before.

I basically did a faux french braid (http://youtu.be/2kOyGD_KOoA), but instead of bringing the braid down towards my neck in the beginning to let it... "faux"... I pulled up as I braided up so that it wasn't stuck to my head. Then I just rolled the braid under from the end, no elastic or anything, put the braid roll between those two sections that you bring up for the braid, and stuck a fork in it! It's got a bit of a Gibson tuck look to it and actually is holding extremely well.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i349/lyzgrace/Hair/6b9bfd38.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i349/lyzgrace/Hair/83db1a80.jpg
http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i349/lyzgrace/Hair/ea51e984.jpg

As I'm looking at the pictures I think the first two are from my first attempt and have a few stray chunks of braid sticking out the side. I just pulled the top layer of the braid a little to widen it and it hid everything underneath :)

What's everybody think? Improvements? Additions?

Kelikea
February 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I love it! It makes your hair look really thick. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do it on mine without the fork, as I don't have one.

Sillage
February 18th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Beautiful! I love it. I'm a big fan of the shape.

Vanilla
February 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
It looks really pretty and different! I think it could even work well for a formal occasion, like a wedding.

Fairlight63
February 18th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Oh, I really like it! Thank you!

Rose Petal
February 18th, 2012, 06:31 PM
It would look nice for a wedding, it's lovely. Also good for work or study. I particularly like the way it shows off your hair's beautiful condition!:)

MamaCimino
February 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I love this look, very elegant. I'm wondering how well I could pull it off.... Probably a few more inches would do the trick! Thanks for sharing!

blondie9912
February 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Whoa! This updo makes your hair look TB length and iii! Very thickening look! I love it :)

MissManda
February 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Totally gorgeous style! I agree that it shows off just how smooth and shiny hair hair is! I'll have to try this one some time! Thanks for sharing! :blossom:

Woods Nymph
February 18th, 2012, 06:54 PM
That is very cool! Thanks for sharing! I shall be trying this one tomorrow. :)

GaJunebug
February 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Love it! Trying to figure out if I could use hairsticks to hold it since I don't have a fork-
It makes you look like you have tons of hair!

The-Young-Maid
February 18th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Your hair looks so thick in that bun!:inlove:

lippleyluv
February 18th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I love this! Also, your hair is so very shiny & glossy! Beautiful.

B-L
February 19th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Very cute!!! Like it!

fridgee
February 19th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Beautiful! And great for many different lengths, you could probably do this from SL downwards. I used to use a similar style for damp bunning, but I never thought to do the faux French plait start and it looks so neat and elegant.

Evie
February 19th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I think this is beautiful! Can I also ask, where did you get that lovely fork? :flower:

hanne jensen
February 19th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Just gorgeous! Can it be done with hairsticksw? I don't own a fork... I'm very unco-ordinated. Would you consider making a video?

EtherealDoll
February 19th, 2012, 03:21 AM
It's beautiful! Your hair looks so thick!

white.chocolate
February 19th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Very beautiful invention!! :D I'll try this out immediately... without a fork because I haven't got one. Hope it works with my length.

Colourful
February 19th, 2012, 03:31 AM
Looks lovely! :)

Nat242
February 19th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Gorgeous! I too would love to see a video, if anyone is interested in making one. I'm terrible at tucked styles, but I keep trying ;)

morrigan*
February 19th, 2012, 03:46 AM
This looks absolutly beautiful :)

Alaia
February 19th, 2012, 03:50 AM
How absolutely beautiful! It looks amazing.

I am going to try it today :D

jojo
February 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I do this for work sometimes, its a very secure and neat looking bun. I love how you get a huge bun effect, yours looks much more professional than mine!

Buffy
February 19th, 2012, 06:20 AM
amazing!!!!!!!!!

Toiréasa
February 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Wow bravo,I love it I'm going to have to attempt it I have so many layers I'm limited on what buns work for me at the moment .

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Your hair looks beautiful.

Bedhead
February 19th, 2012, 07:44 AM
That's awesome! And of course, your amazingly beautiful hair is just highlighting it perfectly . :)

littleizz
February 19th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Wow, thanks guys!! I'll definitely try to make a video, but it might not be for a bit with how busy my work is, so if someone else wants to give it a shot, go for it :)

I WISH my hair was as long and thick as some of you said!! And it's only so shiny 'cause it was wash day ;) Good to know that this is a good back-up do for those days though!

speshe
February 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Very pretty!!

mimi1153
February 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Luv it!!! Gotta try it... Tomorrow! :cheese:

Kelikea
February 19th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Well, I tried it, but think my hair is a bit too long for your version. Yours looks awesome!

dwell_in_safety
February 19th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I subscribed to this thread so that when I get my hands on a hair fork (it'll be a couple months yet), I can try this. :) It's beautiful.

WinterTree
February 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Very Beautiful! Definitely gives the allusion of much longer fuller hair :) I've done a similar thing with my hair, but i roll and tuck my braid up and under. It stays without any fork or hair sticks for quite awhile. It's great for when i want my hair up and didn't bring anything to hold it.

Eirelin
February 19th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I did this today after seeing this thread. I don't have a fork, so I just rolled the bottom braid up and in and used 2 spin pins to hold it. Then I took a pretty barrette and put it in just above the braid/tuck, and it really looked so pretty and elegant!

I took it down about a half hour ago and there were all these beautiful waves, so now I may have a new sleeping style! Thank you, littleizz!

Photos to come later.

patienceneeded
February 19th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Wow! Thank is SO pretty! I'm going to try it tomorrow!

earthnut
March 30th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Whoops wrong thread...

I will have to try this braided tuck, looks lovely

HylianGirl
March 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Wow, it's so beautiful! I have to try it! I specially liked the way it looks from the side, reminds me of a gibson tuck, but even prettier ^-^

Dziip
March 30th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Good one ! I had never seen it, indeed.
It's beautiful, with no harmful toy...

Thank you !!!

Kaelee
March 30th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I love it!!! I love the faux french braid too! Though I'm a little confused about the "can't keep your natural part with an English braid" part...because I always keep my natural part with my English braids!

Vrindi
March 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Love it! Do you have a video tutorial?

melusine963
March 31st, 2013, 01:54 AM

Torrin Paige did a tutorial for the 'faux french braid' part. The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA

I love this updo! I'm not usually a fan of buns that sit so low on my nape, but this one was really comfortable with spin pins.

DancingQueen
March 31st, 2013, 02:44 AM
Wow, this is awesome, I have to try that! It looks hard though, but very beautiful. :)

Angelica
March 31st, 2013, 04:51 AM
It's beautiful and elegant. I've not seen it fixed with a folk before, and the style really suits you.

CurlyMopTop
March 31st, 2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a pretty Easter hair style! :D I just need to figure out what I can use other than a hair fork (since I don't have one).

melusine963
March 31st, 2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a pretty Easter hair style! :D I just need to figure out what I can use other than a hair fork (since I don't have one).

It holds great with spin pins. I just insert two at the bottom.

CurlyMopTop
March 31st, 2013, 08:37 AM
I tried this today. It doesn't look near as big or nice as yours, but then my hair is much shorter. I just used a couple of spin pins to hold in place. :D

PixxieStix
March 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM
I've done this with a french braid, but I think the faux one would work even better! Thank you so much for sharing, it looks absolutely amazing in your hair. :)

MaryO
March 31st, 2013, 10:45 AM
It's very nice. You have gorgeous hair!!

Kaelee
March 31st, 2013, 11:02 AM

I actually had trouble understanding the written instructions (I'm bad at written instructions). Did you tuck it up from the bottom or down from the top?

melusine963
April 3rd, 2013, 02:58 AM
I actually had trouble understanding the written instructions (I'm bad at written instructions). Did you tuck it up from the bottom or down from the top?

In this case you roll up the braid and tuck it in at the bottom. However, there is another style involving a French braid where you tuck it in at the top. Loepsie did a tutorial for this (she calls it the French Antenna Braid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_M_oSwRKfc.

Hope this helps!

Kaelee
April 3rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
In this case you roll up the braid and tuck it in at the bottom. However, there is another style involving a French braid where you tuck it in at the top. Loepsie did a tutorial for this (she calls it the French Antenna Braid): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_M_oSwRKfc.

Hope this helps!

I've actually been doing a Gibson Tucked English braid and holding it with a ficcare :) (Just a plain old English braid, tucked from the top)

spidermom
April 3rd, 2013, 10:54 AM
I like it!

longcurlygirl<3
April 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Really nice! Just wonder if my hair (thick and curly) would be able to withstand it :(

Kaelee
April 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
I wore the faux French braid to work today and loved it- it really did hold well all day, which surprised me! I tried the tucked updo when I got home from work, with my fork. I think I need practice. It seemed to hold pretty well, but I don't think it would last all day.

ETA: here's a pic:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001-56_zpsc586bd01.jpg

My hair is ridiculously thick...I sometimes actually wish my braid tapered, but it doesn't. It makes tucking things really difficult (I can't wear a paranda either...my braid just ends bluntly and explodes out of the paranda no matter how thick I make it.) I love the antenna braid but I think it would be impossible for me. :(

Tea Lady
April 4th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Kaelee, may I ask - where did you get the hair fork? I really like that one!

Tea Lady

Kaelee
April 4th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Kaelee, may I ask - where did you get the hair fork? I really like that one!

Tea Lady

Chevrelure? On Etsy. (I can't spell her name dangit! lol)

Tea Lady
April 4th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Chevrelure? On Etsy. (I can't spell her name dangit! lol)

Thanks! She apparently had to close her Etsy shop, but is on Facebook and posted that she will sell from there:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevelure/325313702918

Tea Lady

Iaine
April 4th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Really nice! Just wonder if my hair (thick and curly) would be able to withstand it :(

I have thick, curly hair as well, and I did it without any problems (it barely took me a minute). It even stays tucked without a fork or any pins to secure it. This may just become my go to hairstyle. Many thanks to the OP. :D

Neecola
April 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Ooo, I love it! Thanks for sharing~

Neoma
April 6th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I, too, am having problems visualizing how to do this. I'm sure that it's quite simple, and I do know how to do a faux French braid. But I'm at a loss... :(

eresh
April 6th, 2013, 05:25 PM
It looks very elegant!

WaitingSoLong
April 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Well, I tried it, but think my hair is a bit too long for your version. Yours looks awesome!

I am suspecting my hair would be too long for this as well. My braid is almost classic length. It is a really nice looking "bun"/up-do!

I love it!!! I love the faux french braid too! Though I'm a little confused about the "can't keep your natural part with an English braid" part...because I always keep my natural part with my English braids!

Me, too! I have a side part I cannot override.

Hope this helps!

Think my hair is too long for this, too.

I wore the faux French braid to work today and loved it- it really did hold well all day, which surprised me! I tried the tucked updo when I got home from work, with my fork. I think I need practice. It seemed to hold pretty well, but I don't think it would last all day.

ETA: here's a pic:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001-56_zpsc586bd01.jpg

My hair is ridiculously thick...I sometimes actually wish my braid tapered, but it doesn't. It makes tucking things really difficult (I can't wear a paranda either...my braid just ends bluntly and explodes out of the paranda no matter how thick I make it.) I love the antenna braid but I think it would be impossible for me. :(

Slight hijack: If you start a paranda braid with purposely UNEVEN thickness of braid strands (don't try to divide the hair evenly) then the end of the braid tapers better. Make sure your paranda is long enough to go a few bumps past the end of your hair and then have some tassles leftover. With an uneven thickness in the strands, one tassel ends up shorter than the rest usually.

End hijack.

How long is your hair Kaelee?

Kaelee
April 6th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Slight hijack: If you start a paranda braid with purposely UNEVEN thickness of braid strands (don't try to divide the hair evenly) then the end of the braid tapers better. Make sure your paranda is long enough to go a few bumps past the end of your hair and then have some tassles leftover. With an uneven thickness in the strands, one tassel ends up shorter than the rest usually.

End hijack.

How long is your hair Kaelee?

My hair is BSL...and my braid tassel is almost six inches!!!!

I think I will try the uneven braid trick, though to be honest my braids are usually parted unevenly anyway and I still have very little taper! :lol:

Neecola
April 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I tried a variation of this last night but tucked the end under since my hair is so short. It doesn't look anything like the original but I still like it. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s375/ng554321/BraidedTuck_zps1f39c36b.jpg

This was taken after cleaning the house so it's a little looser than it started, but it stayed put for the most part.

WaitingSoLong
April 7th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Neecola that is gorgeous!

Neecola
April 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Thank you so much WSL!!

MintChocChip
April 8th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Such a beautiful up do! I agree that it makes your hair look sooo thick! Also, lovely shine that your hair has incidentally! Lovely. :)

utdesertrunner
April 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Natalia
April 8th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Very pretty! My hair ususally doesnt cooperate in these kinds of do's but i may attempt it. :)

Natalia
April 8th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Anyone have a tutorial link to the faux french ive never done it.

melusine963
April 9th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Anyone have a tutorial link to the faux french ive never done it.

Torrin Paige did a tutorial for the 'faux french braid':

WaitingSoLong
April 9th, 2013, 05:09 AM
So I tried this and my hair is too long :(

melusine963
April 9th, 2013, 06:07 AM
So I tried this and my hair is too long :(

Boo. My hair is only TBL, but I wish I'd discovered this style earlier. It does get harder to tuck the more length you have.

utdesertrunner
April 10th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I did this yesterday and LOVED it! So comfy and it held all day! Perfect for my BSL thick hair, thanks for sharing!

WilfredAllen
April 10th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I really, really love it!! Bookmarked for when my layers grow out

Natalia
April 10th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Torrin Paige did a tutorial for the 'faux french braid':

Thank you!