PDA

View Full Version : Hair seasons

FrozenBritannia
February 18th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Or rather, does your hair change with the seasons in how it responds to various treatments and methods of care?

Which season is the best for your hair, and why?

Firefly
February 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Interesting question! I look forward to hearing other's answers. For me, autumn is by far the best season for my hair. Dry + very low humidity= happy. :) Spring and summer are damp/humid, and my hair has a tendency to rebel in those conditions. Winter is tough because the woodstove can really dry my hair out. So yeah, it's definitely autumn for me!

Kelikea
February 18th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I think my hair does best in the spring/summer. It is very humid here, my hair is wavy, and I don't have to worry so much about moisture. I did BS/acv for 2 months straight last summer, no conditioner. Now, if I was to be swimming a lot, that would be different. Then I would add in some conditioner. When the heater turns on and humidity drops, my hair needs a lot more moisture, so I bring in bottles of conditioner and some shea butter. My scalp also gets upset because the air is dry, shampoo can dry it out, but conditioner irritates my scalp, and working out makes it get sweaty and gross. My waves need more "help" in dry conditions and static can become an issue. Plus, I have to wear a hood or knit headband to keep my ears/head warm and that just messes with my 'do!

MissManda
February 18th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I think my hair is at its best in Autumn and Spring. Wintertime means that my hair gets greasy more quickly, which I find annoying. In Summertime, the weather gets very hot and my hair gets lots of frizz.

GaJunebug
February 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I'm with Firefly- autumn is when my hair tends to behave the best. Curls hold better because of reduced humidity but there isn't too much static issues as pop up in Winter.
( Honestly, I haven't been oiling long enough to see how my hair responds to the season.)

Achtland
February 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Late Summer.

I get so caught up in the activities and "busy-ness" of summer that I fail to notice any new growth until around late summer. In all my pictures it always seems end-of-summer that my hair looks the longest for that year.

Rose Petal
February 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
I live in Melbourne, so I tend to notice problem times which relate more to where our weather is coming from rather than an actual season, although the effect of the Southern Ocean is more noticeable from May to September. Sometimes we get all four 'seasons' in one day. This can weird out any visitors!

In most years:
Cold weather, mostly in winter (and I use the word 'mostly' in a provisional way) means most weather coming from the Southern Ocean (Southerlies, very cold and very windy), or Southern Indian Ocean, (South westerlies, cold and windy), and occasional from the West (across the inland, not as cold). This is means flyaways getting very tangled and straggly due to high speed winds and having to wear hair up due to the coat collar factor. Washing also becomes a little less enjoyable in a bathroom without heating. Frizz is not that much of a problem, as the Southern Ocean is cold and windy, rather than really humid. (Remember folks, Antarctica is a dessert- very little precipitation.)

Hot weather generally comes from the west (across the Australian desert, and from October to April the Southern Indian Ocean), and dryness on ends and greasy scalp are the major problems due to the combination of dry, hot winds (especially north-westerlies) and high temperatures (=sweat). Hot days, from my perspective, are between 32 and 37 degrees centigrade, sometimes reaching 40s a few days during our summer (90-99F and occasionally 104-111F). Solved through treatment on ends (eg leave in conditioner, oil etc) and regular washing.

This year is La Nina, however, so my problem is humidity with warmth and little wind because our weather is frequently coming from the east (Pacific), which still feels odd. Hot days equal 30 to 34 degrees centigrade (only had two plus 35 days so far I think) of which there are relatively few, but more importantly- Less wind, high humidity! This equals frizz. Grrrrrr! I find this the most difficult type of weather to deal with hair wise. Although going home on the train the other night I felt better, because everyone had the frizz problem, not just me, so I didn't feel so bad.

El Nino years are like normal years in terms of weather direction, but because the Pacific is exerting a weaker effect on us than usual, it gets ramped up. This makes for noticeably dryer months during the May to November period (note- most our rain falls August to October in normal years) and VERY HOT!!!! summers. Most days are Hot days in summer as opposed to about half half during normal years, and Extreme temperatures more common (ie +40C or +104F). High winds also common. They are hot too! Very drying on the hair, which due to the heat at night frequently gets water only rinse before bed, not for my hair, but to make sleeping bearable!

amantha
February 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM
My hair is generally best during the spring and summer. My hair has more waves and they are more defined, plus I love how the sun makes my hair more auburn. And my hair is more moisturized in general. Although my hair does tend to get greasy faster once it gets really hot and humid outside, and I do have to watch for frizz (although I don't really care that much about a little bit of frizz so meh). Once I have to start putting the heater on in mid-autumn, my hair and scalp freak out. My ends get super dry and sometimes split, and my scalp will get dandruff for a while. Unfortunately the weather has been all over the place this winter, so my hair and scalp have never had a chance to calm down. :(

mira-chan
February 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Late spring and early summer is the best time for my hair and scalp. Winter is ok if a bit staticky for hair but my scalp does funky things. Plus with the cold I don't want to wear it down and it takes days to dry if I put it up damp. I shed from late summer through half of autumn so that's not a fun time.

Tia2010
February 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I would say Autumn... I get pretty waves and calm hair.

The beginning of Spring is OK too. Summer's humidity = crazy PUFFY hair! And Winter tends to dry out my ends more than any other season due to indoor heat and pellet stoves..plus the static I get in winter is annoying!

kjirstiben
February 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Rose Petal, thanks for the info about climate in Melbourne... fascinating stuff! (for the weather geek in me)

I'm currently living in the desert southwestern US (Las Vegas, Nevada: I suppose most of you are familiar?), though I've lived all over the USA at different times, and spent a while in Central Europe and the Middle East as well.

Overall, I find that I can CONTROL my hair better in dryer climates; all year round in the Western states and during the winter in the eastern half of the USA. However, my scalp hates dry weather so I'm constantly battling dandruff at the same time. Conversely, I am more likely to LIKE my hair on humid summer days (it used to spiral gorgeously when I lived in Alabama), if it's a good hair day... but it's more of a toss-up whether my hair will be having a good or a bad day when it's humid out. So there are good and bad things about all of the seasons/climates, I guess.

Though out here, when it's really hot (+110F) for most of July and August, I'm just happy that I have long enough hair that I can keep it up and off of my neck!

longcurlygirl<3
February 18th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Spring and summer, my hair dries sooo much faster! And my curls get more humecants which make them happy :)

Amber_Maiden
February 18th, 2012, 09:00 PM
In the fall most definitely. My hair gets highlights in the summer!

The-Young-Maid
February 18th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I have to say autumn as well, my hair is very sensitive to humidity.

lolot
February 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
for me is winter, i dont know why but it grows faster, it doesnt get dry like in summer, it shines more and shed less

NormaJean
February 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I live in a place with very low humidity year round. Best hair of my life. In winter there's a bit too much static about, though, so I'd have to say any season but winter = best.

NormaJean
February 18th, 2012, 10:05 PM
kjirstiben, I don't wanna threadjack, but I have to tell you that your hair is flipping amazing.

pink.sara
February 19th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Summer hands down.

The only time I can airdry in less than an hour (if it's sunny and I flip it around).

The rest of the year it can be wet after 4-5 hours still so my hairdryer sadly sees a lot of use.

EtherealDoll
February 19th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I think my hair's at its best in late spring and in summer. It's wavier and not as dry as it is in autumn and winter. It even seems to be growing faster. And the sun gives my hair nice subtle highlights.

Oksana
February 19th, 2012, 03:16 AM
For me it is Spring. I get quicker growth and my hair feels less dry than the other months.

Dragon Faery
February 19th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I haven't been paying attention long enough to know for sure, but in general my hair looks and feels best in high humidity (which NEVER happens anywhere I've lived), but my skin loves dryness. The week I spent in Guatemala I had the best hair of my life, and the absolute worst skin. Go figure. And visiting KY, NC, etc are similar.

I noticed more growth in July-October this past year than I'm seeing now, but I won't know for a few years if that's normal for me or not.

I did notice that since winter has come on I've had to change oils at times. My hair seems to need more babying in the winter, especially at the ends. Although this could also just be the fact that I'm in that frustrating territory between BSL and WL and damage is rearing its ugly head.

Siiri
February 19th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I don't see a big difference in how my hair behaves.

My hair used to get easily static in the winter when I wasn't caring for it like I do now, but with CO-washing and oiling I don't get that anymore. Sun light bleaches my hair and makes it drier if I don't protect it with a scarf, so probably summer is the worst season for my hair. It's not very humid here during any season, so I don't get much frizz... Probably spring and autumn would be the best seasons for my hair then.

Aggemam
February 19th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I would say spring and autumn is the best for my hair. In the summer it tends to get very dry and in the winter greasy because of wearing hats and beanies.

Curly Hermione
February 19th, 2012, 04:53 AM
My hair is more big and bouncy and corkscrewy in summer, but it's drier, and more ringlety but probably not as dry in winter. The seasons are different, but I wouldn't say one was better than the other. :)

Othala
February 19th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Spring and Summer, especially humid ones, are the best times for my hair which loves the heat and moisture. This is from a condition perspective not a styling perspective. Autumn is my favourite season but not for hair and Winter creates dullness and dryness which is not happiness-making for the hair, skin or mind.

Coan-Teen
February 19th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I'd say any non-humid season, so probably summer and autumn for me. In the winter and spring my hair takes forever to dry, spring because it's so damp and winter because it's both cold and somehow still damp. =P

Sunny_side_up
February 19th, 2012, 06:21 AM
late summer and autumn time, sunshine and warmth and long bright days. Seems bouncyer and thickened up after summer. a bit of shedding though before winter last year, can't really remember if it was the case year before that, bring on the long sunny days!:cool:

jojo
February 19th, 2012, 06:25 AM
what an excellent thread! for me spring/summer brings the best out in my hair. My waves and overal condition seems better during these seasons. Winter is my worst season, my hair is just so uncooperative and looks drier!

Avital88
February 19th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Summer is best, most volume, i have twice the amount of hair in summer, or thats how it looks:)

MonaLisa
February 19th, 2012, 06:53 AM
It has a change pattern through the seasons..
Autumn brings huge shed but super fast growth, Winter it's slow growth, no shedding at all almost and very dry, don't like it much...spring it comes back to life, little shed also, and summer is the best :D - lots of volume, great texture, it gets thicker somehow and grows really fast! :)

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:30 AM
For some reason my hair likes the summer time humidity it will shine like a diamond and be soft as silk. It hates the winter time it gets dry and lack luster.