PDA

View Full Version : About shampoo bars...

HylianGirl
February 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I actually have never used shampoo bars myself, but I did notice that quite a few people here seem to use them, so I wonder, what kind of benefits can the hair get from them? Are they better than "regular" shampoo? Besides the texture what else is diferent on them? Are they less harsh? Sorry for my noobness, here's some cheese::cheese:

FrozenBritannia
February 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I use them on my kids and they work great on them! Not so great in me, but I think I am just not doing it properly with my hair being so much longer than theirs. Will watch this thread for tips!

t_ballet26
February 18th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Shampoo bars work great for my husband because his hair absorbs a lot of water. With mine I have to re-wet several times and it just doesn't work as well. It would probably work better if I did a mermaid soak, but I haven't tried that yet.

HylianGirl
February 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Mermeaid soak? What is that like?

t_ballet26
February 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
basically you are just soaking your hair in water, like in a bath tub

here is more info: http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1647692

shikara
February 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I used a shampoo bar for awhile - I was especially pleased when I noticed that it looked much fuller, and no real worries about cleavage or scalp showing thru when wearing my hair up. It felt funny at first though as if it wasn't really clean but I got used to that. The only problem for me was that it was a lot of work and I would never really know how good a job was done until it was almost dry. Maybe it was just that particular brand.

ravenheather
February 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I'm using shampoo bars. I like that they are all natural. It took some work to find the right one for my hair. I also use a dilute acv rinse. I do find that over time they build up a little but then I just switch to a different bar. Chagrin valley has several that work for my hair. I also had to switch out when I used conventional shampoo.

longcurlygirl<3
February 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'm using shampoo bars. I like that they are all natural. It took some work to find the right one for my hair. I also use a dilute acv rinse. I do find that over time they build up a little but then I just switch to a different bar. Chagrin valley has several that work for my hair. I also had to switch out when I used conventional shampoo.

agree, though I've used HennaSooq brand. I like them but used like 2-3 times a month. I do not use them frequently since I co-wash once a week, and shampoo sulfate-free once a week since I wash my hair 2 times a week :p. I like them alot feels very moisturized. I can feel the 'cleanness' on my scalp.

amandacv86
February 18th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking someone elses thread, but I'm interested in shampoo bars when my current stockpile is up and I'm wondering if Unscented Ivory soap would be safe for hair. The ingredients are:

Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate, Water, Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance/Parfum, Coconut Acid, Palm Kernel Acid, Tallow Acid, Palm Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA

HintOfMint
February 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking someone elses thread, but I'm interested in shampoo bars when my current stockpile is up and I'm wondering if Unscented Ivory soap would be safe for hair. The ingredients are:

Sodium Tallowate and/or Sodium Palmate, Water, Sodium Cocoate and/or Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance/Parfum, Coconut Acid, Palm Kernel Acid, Tallow Acid, Palm Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA

I've used barsoap on my head (and very gentle one at that) and boy, was I sorry. It was a tangled, rough mess that just REFUSED to shine.

MyKing'sQueen
February 19th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I'm still new to shampoo bars myself, I've only tried a couple CV bar samples so far and they are working great for me. I have a lot less tangles, my hair fells super soft, it's shiny, has a lot of volume. They also do not contain SLS and are natural. The sample bars are a decent size and last a while. HTH:blossom:

HylianGirl
February 19th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the info ^-^ Too bad I can't do a mermaid soak, 'cause I don't have a tub =/ I guess I'çç try one of those shampoo bars when my shampoo bottle gets empty, they seem interesting

BekaReynolds
February 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Personally I love them, my friend converted me when we were spending FAR too much money in Lush a few months ago. I prefer them over liquids because i haven't had to buy more in three months so have spent a lot less, (which is a definite Yay as i'm a poor student) they smell great, and they leave my hair in great condition.

I used to have a little trouble washing all of my hair in one try with them but i've found that completely covering your hands in bubbles (maybe i'm using too much I don't really know) then going a bit crazy and attacking your head with your hands works pretty well.I've also found that washing with the shower head while leaning over the bath works better for me, i hate washing my hair in the bath though so I may be biased

silverjen
February 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I use them*. Conventional shampoos leave sores on my scalp, so it's great to have a natural alternative. I have no problem using them in a shower--no need for a mermaid soak. I follow with a dilute vinegar rinse, and use an oil as a leave in on damp hair. They leave kind of a coated feeling on wet hair, bu once my hair is dry, it is shiny, soft, and tangle free. Love them!

Just to be clear, I alternate between WO and poo bars, as my scalp seems to like a break from washing every now and then.