PDA

View Full Version : What hair loves the most: Hair up or down?

LadyHazel
February 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
So what is better for the hair in terms of split end prevention, prevention of hair fall and breakage...? To be or not to be, to put up or let loose? I want to do the hair updo challenge for two months however will having it up aall of the time cause breakage or thinning? I do not want to risk my growth as I am trying to prolong a trim until it is needed. I want personal experiences, honest opinions and there's nothing more satisfying than a good old scientific fact! ;)

heidi w.
February 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I've been wearing my hair up daily for years. It's the best way to protect the integrity and health of hair as old as mine.

heidi w.

IndigoOptimist
February 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I've always thought the idea was wearing it up was to protect it from splits and damage... I personally cannot have my hair up all the time - the feeling annoys me after a while - however I've worn my hair up at night in some form for about 7 years because I read that it helps prevent spilt ends ;)

Seeshami
February 18th, 2012, 01:05 PM
If I vote for up, the naughty mess will vote for down. And vise-versa, so my vote for my hair is; it likes to do what ever is opposite to what I want it to do.

nobeltonya
February 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I guess it depends, because I like to wear my hair down if at all possible, but sometimes it gets in the way.. like if I'm in the car driving a lot, it's more comfortable to have it up. Or at work, where I'm bending and doing stuff and keep having to flip it over my shoulder. Or at home, when I'm cleaning and chasing my boys around all day.. but if I'm out and it's not super windy or cold I like to keep it down as much as I can. My hair seems to be on the coarser side, so I don't notice much damage. And I try to be careful with it, not catching it anywhere or anything.

LadyHazel
February 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Gosh your hair is incredibly beautiful heidi, stunning. Thank you for all of your comments, I am going to try to wear it up more often and then begin the challenge and @seeshami, my hair is exactly the same! I put it in a scrunchie, it falls back out, I wear it down, it gets kinks and becomes knotty. Oh dear how am I going to last 2 months !

Amber_Maiden
February 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Having your hair up is best- prevents damage and split ends. I wear my hair up mainly.

Kelikea
February 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Putting it up does not necessarily cause breakage or thinning, unless you are doing it in a damaging way. Using hair elastics in the same place every day or using the ones with metal is very damaging. Pulling all of it back without sectioning can cause thinning and pulling at the hairline. So, try different updo's with different sectioning and placement of hair elastics, or find some that don't need any elastics. Also, vary the use of pins, clips, forks, sticks, etc. to keep the stress from always being in the same area.

Kelikea
February 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I forgot to add that when you wear it up, you will lose your shed hairs when in comes down, instead of randomly throughout the day. So, it may seem as though you are losing more hair, but you probably aren't. You are usually losing less hairs because they are not getting caught and tangled during the day, but they just come out all at the same time, so are more obvious.

nobeltonya
February 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I use oil and conditioner regularly, which helps keep my hair from tangling when I keep it down. I don't like to keep it up all day as it's heavy as balls, but varying the styles in which I keep it in do help because it pulls a lot..

furnival
February 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM
My hair is fine and damages easily, but after trimming off the previous damage and wearing it up for fifteen months, I still have zero damage. Can't even find a split end! So I know it definitely works to keep it up. :)

Sillage
February 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I think up is less damaging although my favorite bun style (http://youtu.be/iKubj63ksC4) which is from Cinthia Truong is quite hard on my hair, especially when I take it out.

LadyHazel
February 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I use strictly scrunchies only and does anybody have any suggestions for updos as I am useless with them and only know about 2 so the stress will always be in the same place! Thanks x

pepperminttea
February 18th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Without hesitation, wearing it up; assuming you use hair-safe tools, and vary your updos. :)

LadyHazel: Could you give hairsticks or forks a go? As long as the material is properly finished they don't damage your hair at all.

shikara
February 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I vote for up too! Not only will your hair not catch on things, or rub on fabric, or tangle, I find the last five inches or so get much dryer when down, so it's happy to be up!!

Madora
February 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I've been wearing my hair up daily for years. It's the best way to protect the integrity and health of hair as old as mine.

heidi w.

Same here...hair up for years..every single day.

If you're aiming for long, healthy lengths, then protecting those delicate ends by wearing them up as much as possible is not too high a price to pay!

LadyHazel
February 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Some really insightful comments ladiies! And hairsticks.. Won't my hair be too short for those? I've never used them aswell so I have no idea on the techniques, the proper materials, I'm no good at braiding and just need some general styles. Do you sleep with hair up too? Or down? Thank you. X

PrairieRose
February 18th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Some really insightful comments ladiies! And hairsticks.. Won't my hair be too short for those? I've never used them aswell so I have no idea on the techniques, the proper materials, I'm no good at braiding and just need some general styles. Do you sleep with hair up too? Or down? Thank you. X
I am able to use hair sticks and my hair is similar length to yours. I can do the lazy wrap and a figure 8 with the hairsticks. You probably could to!

GaJunebug
February 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
LadyHazel,
I don't know if this is the best for the hair but it seems to be good for mine. I sleep every night with it contained somehow- that could be a braid down my back, a sock bun or some other way to minimize the hair rubbing on the pillowcases and possibly getting tangled.

Plus, with either of the options I mentioned you get some sort of ready made hairstyle the next morning in the form of waves or curls.

spidermom
February 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Up is best, although it kind of depends on how you do it. Using a hair-tie in the same place every day, pulling too tight, etc; that can be damaging. Otherwise, having hair up prevents a lot of wear and tear on your ends.

LadyHazel
February 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Spidermom; what wonderful hair you have indeed. Thank you P.Rose for your helpful input as now I know I can use hairsticks too! I normally sleep with my hair thrown above my head gajunebug x where can I get hairsticks from in the UK or international websites? Are there any specific hairstyles people like or what materials are best to use in the hair? X thanks so much

blondie9912
February 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Up is definitely healthier for the hair :)

LadyHazel
February 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
My hair doesn't look very long at the moment its in that midback/long stage very irritating so good updo advice from you blondie? Thanks :) x

blondie9912
February 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I don't really do 'conventional LHC updos' (ie. intricate braided buns, Dutch braids, etc).

I usually do a bun (with my hair lightly oiled, coconut oil is my preference) held with a claw clip. I basically just clip it up messily, but making sure my hair isn't tangled or anything. The coconut oil definitely helps with that. I also do low side braids a lot, but they are loose and casual looking. Try French braiding your hair, but not all the way from the top. I just scrape the hair above my ears with my thumbs and French braid my hair from there, making sure its tilted to the side. Also, loose ponytails are a favorite of mine. Ponytails aren't really the healthiest updos, because they leave all of your hair exposed. While your hair is still relatively short they're alright, as long as you don't secure them too tightly, use hair bands with metal on them, or wear them in the same spot regularly. Hope I helped! :)

The-Young-Maid
February 18th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I like wearing it down or half up. If I'm running around alot I'll braid it, my hair holds nice waves.:D

adiapalic
February 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Up most of the time is the way I do it--less damage/stress if I put it up in different types of styles.

If I wear my hair down for a long time, it gets tangled up something awful from wind and activities. I save that for special occasions, and keep a comb and hair fork in my pocket just in case. :)

PrairieRose
February 19th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Spidermom; what wonderful hair you have indeed. Thank you P.Rose for your helpful input as now I know I can use hairsticks too! I normally sleep with my hair thrown above my head gajunebug x where can I get hairsticks from in the UK or international websites? Are there any specific hairstyles people like or what materials are best to use in the hair? X thanks so much

I recently bought a Ketylo stick over the internet. I love it! Since my hair is a little on the short side, the design of the stick really helps hold my hair. Here is the link http://www.ketylo.com/servlet/StoreFront :D

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I have noticed my hair seemed to grow more when I started wearing it up. My boyfriend reminisces about the days when I wore it long and straight.