PDA

View Full Version : Volume - How do you get it?

millyaulait
February 18th, 2012, 08:24 AM
(Sorry if this has been asked before recently, the search function is not working for me today!)

I'm currently CO (No cones), and my hair is naturally very flat.

I use no heat, but I do dry my hair using a blowdryer on cold.

I don't want to use conventional volumizing products because I'm worried about all the gunkiness, chemicals/tonnes of ingredients, and build-up.

I used to use a wax & mousse to get a thicker, volumized look. I really miss it & I don't enjoy wearing my hair down now because it lies so flat.

I was wondering if there were any natural products/tricks for this.

I have tried putting my hair in a bun on the top of my head while it's wet, and drying it that way for volume, but my hair is too short for it to be effective.

What do you do to put volume into your hair? :)

Nedertane
February 18th, 2012, 08:55 AM
This may sound weird, but I'll bet your hair isn't that flat. My hair type is very similar to yours, and I used to HATE how flat-looking it was, so I used heat, mousse, and all of that fun stuff. But then one day (I might've been running late, or something), I didn't use ANYTHING. And you know what, it looked fine! And so went (part) of a bad habit. :)

SO, to put it shortly, you might be going through sort of a "volume withdrawal," without any product. Do you have layers in your hair? They helped for me.

torrilin
February 18th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I don't. My hair finds the idea of volume very humorous and laughs if I try. I think my record for volume is maybe as much as an hour. Most volumizing methods will result in my hair happily slicked down against my skull in about 5-15 minutes.

If I work with what my hair does naturally, it tends to look pretty good. This doesn't result in big hair tho... it results in floaty, barely defined waves. My hair is hovering around my elbows ATM coz I'm on a trimming schedule, and at the absolute waviest, I have maybe 5-6 whole wavelengths in my hair.

There's nothing wrong with straight and sleek hair either. It tends to be great for showing off fairly architectural hairstyles, if you can lovingly coax it out of slithering everywhere.

Nedertane
February 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I don't. My hair finds the idea of volume very humorous and laughs if I try. I think my record for volume is maybe as much as an hour. Most volumizing methods will result in my hair happily slicked down against my skull in about 5-15 minutes.

If I work with what my hair does naturally, it tends to look pretty good. This doesn't result in big hair tho... it results in floaty, barely defined waves.

THIS. My hair laughed at volume too when I used products! My sister can use anything on her hair, though, and it'll look HUGE.

shikara
February 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
One thing you can do is put it in say three braids at night bending as you do the top ones so they get a little closer to the scalp than usual. The hair on top including that from my crown gets two, the rest gets one. Try different ways and different even four braids. I've done damp but sometimes it's a little to much for me. Dry can work. You can also add one or two drops of castor oil to freshly washed hair and do nice snug ones. I got a beautiful result from that. This method will volumize all your hair.

I use goody hair combs when I just want some localized lift at my sides or on top and this works very well too.

I forget if you wear your hair up or down. If down, you can do a partial half up that sits higher. If you wear it up you can pile twirl, loop, or roll some higher.

Pin curls will add lift but also waves but they need to be done uniformly for best looking results. I'll respond more as I find more ways as I work on this regularly for my upsweeps.

I've also hear that some gels are fairly friendly.

IndigoOptimist
February 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Have you tried curling your hair? (no heat of course ;)
There's pin curls which give my hair quite nice volume or there's this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxS1ohz4Ao which is a really easy method :) There's LOADS more on Youtube too ;)

holomi
February 18th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I always let my hair dry, parted in a certain way (on the right side of my head, for example). After it's dry, I part it at a different area on my head (left side), which gives volume when I move that top part of hair over to the other side.

morrigan*
February 18th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Also shampoo give me a lot of volume, while co almost none or damp bun on top of your head.

nobeltonya
February 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Coconut oil the night before you wash. If your hair is thin, you wouldn't need much.

turtlelover
February 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Catnip tea used as a conditioner is the BEST volumizer ever. I do NOT use it for that reason....the last thing I need is more volume! LOL

HuggyBear
February 18th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Sock buns usually do the trick for me.

MissManda
February 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
My hair has more volume when I CO or use shampoo bars (Chagrin Valley, Apple Valley, Sweet Creek Herbs, etc). Although my hair is quite thick, it can look too flat for my taste at times. On wash day, I shower in the evening so that my hair dries overnight. I sleep with my wet hair loose and draped over my pillow. When I wake up, my roots are fluffier than normal and it lasts a day or two as long as I do not brush or comb too much. I also avoid detangling when my hair is wet or damp since or else it will take a good bit of the fluffiness away.

Iolanthe13
February 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Lately I've found sleeping with a bun on top of my head helps with volume (especially second/third/fourth days after washing). That said, my hair isn't that long - only BSL or so - and is layered.

Anje
February 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
What do you do to put volume into your hair? :)
What do you do to become tall? To some extent, you have the hair you have. Some people have more volume than they can stand, some people have perpetually sleek hair.

Clipping your roots up with alligator clips as your hair dries can make a difference in some cases. So can letting it dry in a bun on the top of your head, so the roots are going the wrong way when you let it down. But there's something to be said for not fighting your hairtype too much, too.

Hollyfire3
February 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Catnip tea used as a conditioner is the BEST volumizer ever. I do NOT use it for that reason....the last thing I need is more volume! LOL

Ahmen to that! If my hair was back to normal (and not damaged and screwed and such) i would NEVER need more volume, ever, i envy you stick straight girls (until damage and protein overload and stuff took my curls, i still have the thickness, but not the volume back just yet:() i say try a mousse, just do not overdo it, volumizing mousse will work wonders. (i know you may not want to use products, but you can also use aloe vera gel (clear stuff) for scrunching in curls=volume or make a mousse out of egg whites or gelatin (never tried it, but heard that works) good luck!

kittymallow
February 18th, 2012, 03:55 PM
if i want lots of volume in my hair (my is flat/thin) i start with washing my hair upside down. Then i put a towel on my head so it is still upside down and let it dry for a bit. Then i take i little bit of aloe vera gel and distribute through my hair and wrap it in the towel again so it dries more upside down. When it is about 80% dry i take it loose and just "ruffle" a bit throug my hair until it is dry, and by then i usally have lots of volume:)

Woosh
February 18th, 2012, 03:58 PM
CO and volume just didn't go together for me, switching to CWC solved that issue for me, but we've got different hair types so I don't know how well that would work for you.

Hollyfire3
February 18th, 2012, 04:00 PM
if i want lots of volume in my hair (my is flat/thin) i start with washing my hair upside down. Then i put a towel on my head so it is still upside down and let it dry for a bit. Then i take i little bit of aloe vera gel and distribute through my hair and wrap it in the towel again so it dries more upside down. When it is about 80% dry i take it loose and just "ruffle" a bit throug my hair until it is dry, and by then i usally have lots of volume:)

How do you prevent tangles when washing this way? I would try it to see what happens, but i am scared of tangles...does the aloe thicken hair or weigh it down? cool tips though

Madora
February 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
How do you prevent tangles when washing this way? I would try it to see what happens, but i am scared of tangles...does the aloe thicken hair or weigh it down? cool tips though

Hollyfire3, I don't know anything about aloe so can't help you there.

As for tangles, a lot depends on how you manage your hair through the entire process of shampooing, conditioning (if you condition) and the rinsing.

Before starting, detangle your hair thoroughly with a wide tooth comb.

When shampooing, do not "moosh" the hair on top of your scalp like a mop and "scrub" it.

Instead, use your fingerpads to gently massage in the shampoo (or whatever you're using) and do it in one direction only..i.e. top of head down to nape/top of head and down each side.

Then repeat the motions, but from front of the head to the back

The less you move your fingers hither and yon, the less chances for tangling.

I don't know if you wash in the bent position or standing upright but I found that if I kept the hair in two separate sections, draped down the front of the chest, it helped to lessen the tangling.

Also, you might want to concentrate on just one side of the head at a time, instead of working all over it willy nilly.

The more your fingers can "go with the flow" of your tresses, the better.

I always detangle while my hair is full of conditioner, but finger comb it first, then take small sections and gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, working from the ends up to the scalp.

HintOfMint
February 18th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I haven't used it in a while, but Giovanni has a volumizing mousse that's natural. It worked pretty well, but in those days I washed my hair every day or every other day with shampoo and the stripping helped me with big hair.

I've found that the cleaner my hair is, the more volume it has, but the methods are questionable. I have put a teaspoon of baking soda into my shampoo for an extra deep clarifying. I had hay for hair for a day, but HOLY VOLUME BATMAN! Maybe you could mix some baking soda with your conditioner (follow up with an acidic rinse for the PH of your scalp), but it might undermine the gentle treatment that you intended with CO.

I've been wanting more volume at the roots because now my length weighs my hair down, but it may not be in the cards for me without some questionable practices to my hair.

ETA: a bun on top of your head is great though, and it gives really nice natural uniform waves. Also, dry shampoo, whether it is in the form of cocoa powder for dark hair, or cornstarch for light hair, helps with a texturized look, similar to that of pomade.

Hollyfire3
February 18th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Hollyfire3, I don't know anything about aloe so can't help you there.

As for tangles, a lot depends on how you manage your hair through the entire process of shampooing, conditioning (if you condition) and the rinsing.

Before starting, detangle your hair thoroughly with a wide tooth comb.

When shampooing, do not "moosh" the hair on top of your scalp like a mop and "scrub" it.

Instead, use your fingerpads to gently massage in the shampoo (or whatever you're using) and do it in one direction only..i.e. top of head down to nape/top of head and down each side.

Then repeat the motions, but from front of the head to the back

The less you move your fingers hither and yon, the less chances for tangling.

I don't know if you wash in the bent position or standing upright but I found that if I kept the hair in two separate sections, draped down the front of the chest, it helped to lessen the tangling.

Also, you might want to concentrate on just one side of the head at a time, instead of working all over it willy nilly.

The more your fingers can "go with the flow" of your tresses, the better.

I always detangle while my hair is full of conditioner, but finger comb it first, then take small sections and gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, working from the ends up to the scalp.

Thank you madora, actually after much thought, i decided not to try washing my hair upside down, i realized i have much more hair then the person who posted this idea and have therefire am more likely to get a tangled mess. I will look into the aloe and i know you have read my other threads about my hair issues, my hair is still very thick, it is just curless, so i am trying to see if encouraging body in my hair will encourage curl, hence why i am reading this thread lol, thanks for the tips on detangling, i am sure they will help:)

Miss Maisie
February 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Two words: Sock Bun. I put my 95% dry hair up in one, and even if it's only for 20 minutes, I've got nice volume.

Eternal.Fiend
February 19th, 2012, 02:14 AM
For me: CO, no cones and never seeing my natural hair texture (no heat, of course!) :P

Before LHC I would be using a 'volumising' s&c, hot blowdriers, volumisning products and back combing. I loved the big messy hair look, and hated my sleek straight hair. But after me hating how my hair looked down for a while, I realised that either CO/no cones has actually mades my hair straight and fluffy, so I can work with that and get a decent amount of volume :)

I almost always sleep with my hair in two damp french braids, which gives me a texture to fluff out in the morning. But if I'm looking for real vlume, either a damp bun on the top of my head, or and upside down french braid going into a bun on top of my head. Both of these also give texture, so I love them for wearing my hair down!

kidari
March 29th, 2012, 11:55 PM
This may sound weird, but I'll bet your hair isn't that flat. My hair type is very similar to yours, and I used to HATE how flat-looking it was, so I used heat, mousse, and all of that fun stuff. But then one day (I might've been running late, or something), I didn't use ANYTHING. And you know what, it looked fine! And so went (part) of a bad habit. :)

SO, to put it shortly, you might be going through sort of a "volume withdrawal," without any product. Do you have layers in your hair? They helped for me.

This is one of the best advice I've read... thank you! For my hair, what works best is to keep it healthy and leave it alone. When it gets past MBL the length and the weight drags it down so I need to keep it shorter and/or add some layers. I quit doing all the damaging stuff to put volume into it because the products weigh it down in an hour or so and all the damaging heat styling and teasing comes loose. I wasted all that time to make it look a certain way and it only lasts for a couple hours. So it's best to keep it the way it's going to look anyway. With the right haircut and state of health it looks great, and I don't have to do anything except maintain the health of my hair and keep the ends fresh.

Carissamarie08
March 30th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Im the example of everything you can do wrong to get volume in your hair...but hey it works for me and I will probably not change it. I tease my hair....eeek!

Catladyintown
March 30th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I would use Corn Starch or Rice flour on the roots. CS will give you a lift and keep you scalp clean. If you put too much on I would comb it out instead of using a BBB because the BBB will make it flat again. HTH

Amber_Maiden
March 30th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I find just shampooing my hair (and then conditioning) give sit tons of volume.

Audrey Horne
March 30th, 2012, 07:23 AM
For me to have a nice volume (which can be tones of it sometimes) means having the right washing method, avoiding things that build up on me and the right combo of proteins&moisture in my hair. CO gives me flat, limp hair with zero volume that greases very fast. So I assume that's where we are different.
Fine hair is very difficult to deal with IMO Things that give me volume: Indian herbs (henna, cassia, shikakai, etc.), other proteins like honey (when the right amount is used), keratin, milk. Maybe there's something else that I forget right now. Putting my hair in a high bun when airdrying, brushing it upside down. Curling my hair would give me tones of volume but have to be careful there because might look like a poodle lol
I hope it helps.

Audrey Horne
March 30th, 2012, 07:24 AM
And I second what Catladyintown has said.

afu
March 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I also CO, the best volume ive got is apply coconut oil when my hair is still damp, scrunch and leave to dry naturally until almost dry. Then i do a sock bun as high as i possible can right on top of my head and sleep on it. next morning it has amazing volume :)