PDA

View Full Version : Will clarifying remove effects of purple shampoo?

HollywoodRouge
February 17th, 2012, 09:16 PM
So i have been using a purple shampoo to get rid of golden/orangy highlights in my hair, however i also want to clarify my hair soon and start using a vinegar rinse. So will either of these things reverse my efforts with the purple shampoo and take my hair back to golden? Also, does anyone know if there is something of stronger strength than a purple shampoo? Im using the John Frieda one, and it works, but slooowwwlllyyy, even though i leave if on for ten minutes in the shower!

Leisje
February 17th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Clarifying your hair will most likely take away the slight purple tint that has built up, because that is the function of clarifying.
Vinegar rinses shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to use white vinegar.

If you want something stronger than purple shampoo you can get some veggie dyes like manic panic, special effects or directions in a violet colour, and dilute it in conditioner. This way you can control the strength of colour, and make a mask of it.

HollywoodRouge
February 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM
are those temporary? like would they wash out in a couple of washes?

Honestwitness
February 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I use Shimmer Lights shampoo by Clairol. It's a purple shampoo and if I leave it on too long it leaves an obvious purple tint to my white hair. Sometimes I clarify with diluted lemon juice right after using the purple shampoo. It doesn't lessen the purple tinge at all. I can't stand the smell of acv in my hair, which is why I use lemon juice instead.

Carolyn
February 18th, 2012, 08:48 PM
ACV will add red/gold tones to your hair so be sure you use white vinegar. I like to use a violet conditioner. I think I get more mileage from it that the shampoo. Aveda Blue Malva is one and another is something like Shiny Silver from Sallys. I do everything I can to fight the red and gold tones. No such thing as too ashy for me,

justgreen
February 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
My hairdresser uses So Silver on me right after she touches up my roots. My hair never gets brassy anymore, since I stopped getting toner applied.

allmixedup88
February 20th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Cw gets out purple shampoo worked for my platinum blonde hair

HollywoodRouge
February 20th, 2012, 04:49 AM
My hairdresser uses So Silver on me right after she touches up my roots. My hair never gets brassy anymore, since I stopped getting toner applied.
Can toner turn brassy over time?
And thanks for the info guys, guess i won't be clarifying then =[
Not a big deal tho, my hairs pretty much ideal, except for not having enough volume/thickness haha, so i only wanted to clarify to try it out anyway and see how my hair would react.

Tabitha
February 20th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Manic Panic Virgin Snow!

HollywoodRouge
February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
no manic panic where i live =[

justgreen
February 21st, 2012, 11:14 PM
Can toner turn brassy over time?
And thanks for the info guys, guess i won't be clarifying then =[
Not a big deal tho, my hairs pretty much ideal, except for not having enough volume/thickness haha, so i only wanted to clarify to try it out anyway and see how my hair would react.

Yes, toner was the culprit for me. Haven't used it in almost three years and no brassies.

HollywoodRouge
February 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, toner was the culprit for me. Haven't used it in almost three years and no brassies.
wow, i had no idea! And to think i was using toner to tone down my brassiness..
no wonder my hair always turned golden after a few weeks!
Now it makes sense why my hair hasn't been as brassy lately since lightening through honey and not get semi's with a toner.