PDA

View Full Version : What is 1 inch? *Just for fun*

nakmom
February 17th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I saw this and just had to share it here! Enjoy :p

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/416878_3403766251679_1195530046_33539370_101551071 3_n.jpg

goldenmoments
February 17th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Oh, yes, this explains why I've only been to the salon for a haircut five times in the last 8 years

Juneii
February 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM
It would be funnier if it was even more exaggerated and our view of one inch would actually be 1/4"

kwaniesiam
February 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Actually most cutting combs have rulers on them. To get 1" evenly off of all of the hair you'll need to take more from the bottom layers so that the canopy meets that unless you're getting layers cut in to your hair as well.

teela1978
February 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Actually most cutting combs have rulers on them. To get 1" evenly off of all of the hair you'll need to take more from the bottom layers so that the canopy meets that unless you're getting layers cut in to your hair as well.

Could this be where the problem develops from? I want 1 inch from the bottom tips of my hair, not from every strand on my head.

kwaniesiam
February 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Could this be where the problem develops from? I want 1 inch from the bottom tips of my hair, not from every strand on my head.

A lot of the times yes. If I hear someone asking for a trim all over, I'll make sure I take an inch off the topmost portion to get rid of all the split ends which forces me to take more off the bottom to keep it all the same length at the hemline.

Phrasing it "I want an inch max off the nape and less off the canopy so everything is the same length" or something along those lines helps eliminate the confusion.

Edit: Consultations are the most important part of a haircut. Stylists use different language from our clients, if you use jargon it might mean something completely different to us. Making sure you're on the same page is the best way to avoid a disaster.

Seeshami
February 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
That's why no one cuts my hair but me now. My cousin would be able to if I wanted it cut, but she also cuts half of what I tell her to anyways. I think she might love my hair long more then I do....:D

PixxieStix
February 17th, 2012, 11:05 PM
This made me giggle. ^_^

Merlin
February 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I wonder how far adrift the ruler for "how long my boyfriend thinks an inch is" would be :whistle:

ingvild
February 18th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I'm always surprised at how little one centimeter is..I want to trim one centimeter, but it's barely anything! I'm afraid I'll end up being counter productive. :p

Moor_tu_lyfe
February 18th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I wonder how far adrift the ruler for "how long my boyfriend thinks an inch is" would be :whistle:
Tee he he. :laugh: My husband is also a mad keen fisherman... There isn't enough room on the page for how big he thinks an inch is!

melusine963
February 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Yep, this looks about right. No wonder I only need one haircut at year...

Gingerbear
February 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
That's cute. I'm not even going to touch the boyfriend/husband undercurrent! haha

teela1978
February 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
A lot of the times yes. If I hear someone asking for a trim all over, I'll make sure I take an inch off the topmost portion to get rid of all the split ends which forces me to take more off the bottom to keep it all the same length at the hemline.

Phrasing it "I want an inch max off the nape and less off the canopy so everything is the same length" or something along those lines helps eliminate the confusion.

Edit: Consultations are the most important part of a haircut. Stylists use different language from our clients, if you use jargon it might mean something completely different to us. Making sure you're on the same page is the best way to avoid a disaster.

So why do hairdressers speak in such a different vernacular than the rest of us? Saying "trim an inch off the bottom" should mean "remove 1 inch across the bottom bits" does it not?

Vasilissa
February 18th, 2012, 03:26 PM

(...)

Consultations are the most important part of a haircut. Stylists use different language from our clients, if you use jargon it might mean something completely different to us. Making sure you're on the same page is the best way to avoid a disaster.

This explains a lot! :eek: Thank you... :D

Saying "trim an inch off the bottom" should mean "remove 1 inch across the bottom bits" does it not?

Hmm is there any hairdressers-slang translator? Could be very helpful sometimes... :D Though after my rough experience with some hairdressers, unfortunately, I don't rely on their service anymore, now either I cut my hair or my boyfriend does it for me. We speak same language. No misunderstandings so far. :D

Ocelan
February 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Some hairdressers also seem to have problems understanding that for example shoulder length is... Atleast this one I went to (over 10 yrs ago but I will never forget!) cut chin length when I said to cut shoulder length. Or rather shower my shoulder line, then she yanked my head towards my shoulder and cut half of my hair off on the first chop. I have never been more embarrassed of my hair than that time. And seriously, I'm not exaggarating.

Quixii
February 18th, 2012, 03:59 PM
:lol: :laugh: