PDA

View Full Version : Help with trimming choices

thinkfirst
July 19th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I'm going to trim from hip length to midback or BS length.
I don't need opinions on whether to trim or not, but what to ask for when I go.
I don't color my hair and the gray is coming in beautifully and I want to let go of the hair on the bottom that is not the graying color.
My problem is that I don't really understand my options.
I have totally straight hair.
I have always trimmed straight across because I was going for length and neatness. I have enjoyed length and now I'm going for something different, maybe.
What would be the advantages or disadvantages of some layering?
Just a little layering.
Are there some hair cutting techniques that are interesting that I should look into?
I don't want bangs.
What have you straight haired friends had or have now that you love and works well?
I'm excited to use my long abandoned hair toys that didn't work with longer hair. Would some layering make that difficult?

Periwinkle
July 19th, 2008, 10:16 AM
If you decide not to go with layering, then you could always play around with a U-shaped or V-shaped hemline. You could also go for shorter hair around your face, which is free from some of the disadvantages of layers.

My hair is BSL and layered from shoulder to the ends. Advantages: on straight hair, it would probably add some interest and texture (on my wavy hair, it just looks weird). Disadvantages: hair is thinner below the layers, which can make it appear as if you have a lot of taper. It's hard to trim yourself.

The main problem I have that you would also have, as a straightie, is the layers falling out of updos all over the place. It's a total pain. Depending on the hairtoys you want to use and the length they require, it could be something of a pain in the neck.

Carolyn
July 19th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I don't like any layering in my almost straight hair. It really interferes with braids and buns. If I was going to cut up to BS length I'd go for a straight across cut or a VERY slight U cut. I'd live with that a few months and see if I was happy with it and if I wanted to change it more. The length change you are talking about is HUGE. Get used to that first and then change the hemline if you are so inclined.

Dulci
July 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
thinkfirst, it's good to see you! :waving:

I don't have straight hair, but if I did, I think I would do like Carolyn says, get it cut first to BS length in a slight U-Shape, and then live with that for a while.