PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm addicted to S&D.

MissHair
February 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I discovered the joy of S&D and now I can't stop. It gradually got worse when I bought my own pair of hair scissors and stopped using the kitchen scissors. It's easy to bring with me anywhere I go and I use it everytime I get bored or anxious (during work breaks ect) People look at me funny when I do it but it's totally become an addiction. I even get annoyed when I can't find any split ends to cut off!

What's so addictive about this, is knowing that I can kill time AND get healthy hair without having to trim any lenght off. I feel like I'm constantly doing myself a favour when doing this in my longhair-mania.

Anyone else have the same 'problem'?

Amber_Maiden
February 17th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Yep. But I've had to tone it down a bit- have no more splits to cut off- or at leads not as many :D

Nev
February 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Ever since I've started doing S&D, i've noticed that i'm constantly checking for split ends! I get so upset when I find one and there aren't scissors anywhere! I have to put my hair up just so I don't distract myself...

hisprincess
February 17th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Ever since I've started doing S&D, i've noticed that i'm constantly checking for split ends! I get so upset when I find one and there aren't scissors anywhere! I have to put my hair up just so I don't distract myself...

Me too! I have to stop myself doing it at work or on the train because it would look crazy to the normal people... (maybe THAT can be our "Are you on LHC?" signal-- public S&D!) :p

Lady Neeva
February 17th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Me. I got over it when I learned about Trimming and the Moon, still find splits.

spidermom
February 17th, 2012, 06:10 PM
It seems to me to be not very nice doing S&D all over the place. You do leave bits of hair behind, you know. Other people don't want that on their clothes or in their beverages and food.

icallitbliss
February 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I know I probably sound stupid, but I'm new here...

I have no clue what a split end looks like. Most of my life I haven't paid attention to my hair and just let it do its thing and got a cut once a year. Though in the past couple of years I've been cutting it a lot because I was dyeing it so much.

I've been lurking around this site ever since I buzzed my hair last year. I want to keep my hair healthy, but also think my hair might be too short to attempt this "S&D" method.

mora
February 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I know I probably sound stupid, but I'm new here...

I have no clue what a split end looks like. Most of my life I haven't paid attention to my hair and just let it do its thing and got a cut once a year. Though in the past couple of years I've been cutting it a lot because I was dyeing it so much.

I've been lurking around this site ever since I buzzed my hair last year. I want to keep my hair healthy, but also think my hair might be too short to attempt this "S&D" method.

Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189) a look at different split ends, although some of them are more potential damage than true splits. If you just buzzed your hair last year, though, and have been taking care of it, you might not have any splits anyways.

ETA:

It seems to me to be not very nice doing S&D all over the place. You do leave bits of hair behind, you know. Other people don't want that on their clothes or in their beverages and food.
This is what's kept me from starting to carry a small pair of scissors around with me. The splits seem to be more noticeable when I'm out of the house, though, so I'm always missing some.

ETA2:
I definitely understand the S&D obsession, though. Thankfully it's become a bit self-limiting since I don't as many splits now that I've done it for a while.

cfreya
February 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I am totally addicted, have to keep putting my hair up or I'll have none left.. I cant bring myself to actually do it in public though, although work and university seem to have THE best lighting for it :(

icallitbliss
February 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189) a look at different split ends, although some of them are more potential damage than true splits. If you just buzzed your hair last year, though, and have been taking care of it, you might not have any splits anyways.

Thanks. Though I'm afraid the one thing that may have given me splits is all the blow drying I've done recently. I find that if I just let it air-dry, it starts to look all funky with the different layers I've got going on.

StPaulaGirl
February 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Ugh, yes. It got so bad I gave my SO the scissors the other day and asked him to hide them from me for at least a week. :uhh:

Piyo
February 17th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Me too! I had never even done it before until I joined this site, now I'm obsessed with it. I do it before bed, and when I close my eyes I see split ends. :( no joke....

torrilin
February 17th, 2012, 07:00 PM
It's definitely something that can get rather obsessive. I've got 2 alcoholic grandfathers, and a number of other closer relatives who exhibit addictive behaviors. So... I tend to be pretty careful about potentially addictive stuff.

While my hair is fine (aka split prone), I don't need to see that every single possible split end is trimmed... Keeping them down to a dull roar minimizes tangles. If I try to eliminate every single split end tho... my hair will still gleefully tangle. That's just one of the joys of fine hair. Some tangling is a fact of life. As long as it's easy to undo, I'm happy.

Usually, I don't actually have to do "proper" search and destroy. Instead, I observe my hair over the course of a wash or two. If there is a particular spot that seems to have nastier tangles than the rest of my hair, section it out while it's still tangled. Chances are it's got a concentration of split ends, possibly including one or more large "feathered" splits. Search and destroy the bad stuff, and my hair will go from impossible back to fairly livable.

Working that way, I maybe need to check on things as often as once a month. It's possible that you might need more often if your hair has serious heat styling damage, you're fond of hair spray, or you have had a habit of frequent dyeing. But if you're sticking to good hair care practices, you can really skip out on a lot of scissors time.

PixxieStix
February 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
My hair alas is still too short to make this feasible without some interesting maneuvering in front of a mirror, but when my hair is long enough to grab over my shoulder and look down to see it, I'm sure I'll become more regular about it, but doubt I'll become obsessed. I can see how it would be addicting though.

ladyshep
February 17th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I used to do that a loooooong time ago.

BrightStarPoet
February 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm so glad someone posted about this, otherwise I may have gone on thinking that I am the only person who brings a pair of hair scissors to work because it has the best lighting for S&D!

I don't have great lighting at home, but my office is great! Between the fluorescent lighting and natural light from outside, I can see every split end- and some of them are scary!

Vanilla
February 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM
The best place for me for S&d is morning light when I'm driving to work. I obviously don't do it then, as it's not safe, but I find so many splits specifically in that light driving west towards work.

charchar1711
February 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, I S&D every time I am just sat at home with nothing to do, I also find myself searching through for split end when I am travelling on a bus or somewhere in public but i don't take scissors with me so get so annoyed when i find a spilt I cant cut

iSuperHeroic
February 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Sorry, I'm going to sound kind of stupid when I ask this, I don't know all the hair abbreviations and lingo. What does S&D mean?

heidi w.
February 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM
It is possible to become addicted. I felt the same way for a little bit. I learned that overdoing it can have repercussions that I didn't really like. Put the scissors down. And I don't recommend doing this at work nor in public. It alarms people who have no idea what you're doing.

heidi w.

whitedove
February 21st, 2012, 03:38 PM
I like the way you call the hunt for split ends Search and Distroy! Been doing this for years and now I now have a name for it.

My Dad always tells me and my Mum off got picking at our hair, I think he is a tad envious as he is bald :D

I always feel for dryest areas of my ends, I just know theres gunna be some nice splits to snip! When I was younger I used to to this in public and use my teeth to bite ends off.... thank goodness I grew out of that! :o;).

As for addiction for doing SnD, I calmed down once I started working. I check now about once a month for long session. I used to get so mad if I suddenly saw a split would want to trim right away, but now I just try and remember location and work that section when I have more time.

jeanniet
February 21st, 2012, 06:01 PM
I don't S & D constantly; maybe a couple of times a week, if that. Last night I was kind of idly doing it while we were watching a movie, and DH said, "Is your hair really that damaged?" Uh, no, that's why I S & D! If he paid attention, he'd notice that I spend more time looking at my ends than snipping them. If I have close to 200,000 hairs on my head, there's no way I can look at every single one of them, let alone cut them!

|Xei
February 21st, 2012, 07:52 PM
I used to be like this for awhile, then I just sort of grew out of it. Nowadays, I don't really bother with it anymore since I've started trimming pretty frequently (think every month to two months), and I feel like that's enough split-end maintenance for me.

QMacrocarpa
February 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
It is possible to become addicted. I felt the same way for a little bit. I learned that overdoing it can have repercussions that I didn't really like. Put the scissors down. And I don't recommend doing this at work nor in public. It alarms people who have no idea what you're doing.
It would alarm me, even though I'd know what you were doing!

No matter how long my life may be, it's too short to S&D. There are better uses of my time. I'm far happier trimming once or twice per year, and wearing my hair up most of the time to minimize wear and tear on my ends (which are indeed split-prone).

lolot
April 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM
i hate this s&d thing the last time i did it i guess i get very exited because i ended up with very thin ends and then i had to trim my hair :( i have now hairs of diferent lenght in all my head :( i will never do this again i think i prefrer triming to keep my hair thicker

Dream^_^Catcher
April 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I have this problem! i bought my own pair of hair scissors as well ! i get so annoyed when i find some split ends and don't have scissors with me ! I S&D during lunch at school one time (not near anyone's food or anything) i got the strangest looks so decided i would just do it at home haha :P