PDA

View Full Version : Any updo suggestions for thick layered hair?

Bijoux00
February 17th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have checked out the newbie section and the great list of styles there but I just don't know where to start.

I hate putting my hair up, but at work I am really the only one who always wears it out and I'm starting to feel a bit daggy and unfashionable for it.

For work I often have to wear a hat, so the high ponytail/bun style I like doesn't work.

I have layered hair, so if I make two plaits I get terrible braid shear.
If I make one large plait at the back half of my front hair just falls out minutes later and bobby pins gleefully slide out no matter where I put them.

I have tried making it look like I at least thought about my hair by putting in a soft hairband. These slip off my head so I have to anchor it behind my ears by crossing over bobby pins in an X shape. I thought this worked a treat until a co worker started fiddling with my hair and I realised she was undoing a big knot that had formed around the sticking out ends of the pins :(

I should never have cut my bangs so short, before I was able to at least manage a nice side plait.

Any suggestions?

annamoonfairy
February 17th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I had layers a while ago and I would curl and back brush for height and then put it up with a claw clamp in the back and spray it. Hope this helps.

Madora
February 17th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Bijoux00 here's a link to a vid tutorial on the twisted lace braid around your head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

I don't know if you'd have trouble with your layers but thought you'd like to try anyway.

I would strongly caution you to avoid the crossed bobby pins. You are putting too much pressure on that one particular portion of hair, which can lead to damage over time.

mora
February 17th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Have you tried French braiding? Even when I have the type of layers that make a single normal back braid fall apart, French braiding is usually enough to keep the braid together as long as I don't lie down on the braid.

Hollyfire3
February 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I have long layers, not choppy or short ones but i have a thread on here asking for updos for thick hair also. take a look at it, it really helped me. here's the link, have fun and good luck! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88256

Bijoux00
February 17th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks so much :)
I've never been able to braid my own hair but then I have never given it a really good try with lots of practice.
I guess now is the time to learn how to do it once and for all.

Hollyfire3
February 17th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks so much :)
I've never been able to braid my own hair but then I have never given it a really good try with lots of practice.
I guess now is the time to learn how to do it once and for all.

Yes, practice makes perfect! I actually tried all the updos given to me on that thread, i got none of them on the first or second sometimes third tries...stupid stupid stupid hair....and when i finally got the techique down, some of them i had to give up on because my hair was too thick even though i should techincally have the length to do them. I suggest the lazy wrap bun, it was the easist one for me to do and one of the few i actually got to hold with a hairstick. The pencil bun is good too, but i have a hard time shoving the hairstick though all my hair...oh well keep trying, good luck!:)