PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite material for hair toys? Why?

aquadreamer
February 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I am new into hair toys. I have owned several wooden, metal, plastic and bone hair sticks. So far, I like the look of metal the best, but I find the wooden one to the the smoothest, so I think that perhaps, it's best for everyday wear (or maybe it's just that my metal ones were poorly made). Which material do you like best?

princessp
February 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I've found the only ones I can really wear are thin metal (quattro style) and the thinner lacquered wood sticks. Shame really because I have a handful of the others. I know I should put them up on the swap board at some point, but I'm lazy. :p

The best way to find what works is just try them all. :)

Amber_Maiden
February 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I like wood- they just look and handle better to me!

Zesty
February 17th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Wood, mostly because wood hair toys tend to be the sticks and forks that I prefer. I also like that wood is natural-looking and doesn't snag or pull my hair, and they're usually pretty light.

PixxieStix
February 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Metal and wood, in no particular order. It's nice to have something I can use for wet or damp hair on days it doesn't finish drying before I run out the door, and wood is so smooth and lightweight. I do plan on getting a couple metal forks and a wood one soon-ish, as well as a few pairs of sticks and a ficcarre. My metal sticks are very smooth though, they don't snag hair or anything.

Long_hair_bear
February 17th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Wood because it's light and sturdy!

coneyisland
February 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I am partial to stainless steel. These shown at this link here are my absolute favorites.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Asian-Hair-Sticks-Pin-Stainless-Steel-Twisted-/250527589269?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a549ba395

They are smooth and sturdy. They do not dent, break, or roughen when dropped. They are not damaged by water contact, so I can use them when I am bathing and to put my hair up while it is still damp.

Sillage
February 17th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Well, I guess metal because I really love my Ficcares but most of what I consider my hair toys are just decorative and made out of lots of different materials: shell, fabric, metal, glass, etc.

Dorothy
February 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I had a profound love affair with a japanese bone hairpin that I will miss for the rest of my life - it broke. I try to substitute bone bodkins I get on Ebay. Otherwise, wood - Baerris is my favorite brand, hairforks. Both of these materials are very smooth and light. Aside from the exquisite japanese bone hairpin and the bodkins, I find other bone hairtools crudely carved and not smooth. I also like my ficcares. I wish I could find a skilled bonecarver to replicate my japanese bone hairpin, I would pay a lot for it.

sapphire-o
February 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Hardwood hairtoys are my favorite, especially the uncoated ones that need oiling. :D I love rubbing sandalwood oil on them. Though I probably use acrylic hairtoys a lot more in winter. They're colorful and waterproof, so it's good for the rainy climate here.

I just dreamed of buying an acrylic hair fork last night. Isn't that funny? Don't even know who makes acrylic hair forks.

B-L
February 18th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Hardwood hairtoys are my favorite, especially the uncoated ones that need oiling. :D I love rubbing sandalwood oil on them. Though I probably use acrylic hairtoys a lot more in winter. They're colorful and waterproof, so it's good for the rainy climate here.

I just dreamed of buying an acrylic hair fork last night. Isn't that funny? Don't even know who makes acrylic hair forks.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/93255298/original-waterproof-double-sided-hair?ref=cat_list_2.

:D

jeanniet
February 18th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have to admit that although I'm not a fan of plastic, I love acrylic. I love the colors, and it's so smooth; never snags my hair at all. LadyIdun sticks are my favorites--I have lots of 'em! But I also like wearing wood and metal.

Scarlet_Heart
February 18th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I like horn hair accessories (a la Quecraft (http://www.etsy.com/shop/quecraft)) because they are composed of material so similar to hair that they slip right in with little resistance. They look really classy too, I think.

lapushka
February 18th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I like either titanium or aluminum the best. The hair accessories that I have in these materials are some of the most sturdy, well-fitting accessories out there! (Quattro, Ravenslair, MairzyDozy,...)