PDA

View Full Version : when ill?

pinkprincess
March 15th, 2008, 09:05 AM
how do you wear your hair when you're ill? i have fibro and when i have a flare my hair goes completely greasy looking and tangled up!!

harley mama
March 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I wear a single low braid. It has been a life saver during the chemo.
There are days when I don't even comb my hair!

Shanarana
March 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I was sick with the flu about a month ago and for a week I just kept my hair in a bun.

Carolyn
March 15th, 2008, 09:24 AM
My "go to" style for those days is a single braid. It stays in place and is comfortable when I lie down. I can slick all the greasiness back and it looks halfway decent if I have to go out. It's all about the comfort and ease when I don't feel good.

ChloeDharma
March 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I just keep it oily and out the way anyway i can.....it's never down when i'm ill cos i feel rank, and if vomiting is a risk then its RIGHT out the way!

Lixie
March 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Another vote for the low single braid. I use a cloth hairband to keep the loose unbraided bits of hair out of my face.

justgreen
March 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I do a low pony with a silk scrunchie. I have fibro too AND wear an oxygen canula 24/7, so this way my hair is always pulled away from my face, but without being tight. It's easy to lie down with it this way too.

savi
March 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM
If I have a bad case of fever I just let it be open on the pillow, and when I get out of the bed I put it in a bun. If I'm not that sic, then I braid it.

Patrycja
March 15th, 2008, 09:48 AM
well,being as now I'm battleing allergie season and its knocking me down today,mine is in a ponytail with my hair pulled half way through.Its not the most "hair friendly"do but its out of my face.

Leisha
March 15th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Hmm if I'm really sick I usually end up with a greasy, tangled, dreadlock-like mess :o

I didn't wash (or comb) my hair for a month when I was feeling particularly nauseous for a while (morning sickness). :oops:
Actually, for the last 2-3 weeks, I didn't even redo my bun properly. Just took out the stick, scrunched/twisted the hair together some more, and reinserted the stick (it was so greasy and tangled by then it stayed up pretty well like that) :oops:

Good thing I don't get ill much...

squiggyflop
March 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM
when im ill i cant be bothered to do anything with my hair.. maybe ill put it into a scrunchy bun on the top of my head

KateMcC
March 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I'm currently back in the hosptial (thank God for my Laptop) and have learned a lot the last few years dealing with hair and illness.

I can go two weeks without washing (I usually CO, but after this long I will S & C).

If my arms or shoulders are weak two braids are easier to do than one and more comfortable to lie on.

Leaving my hair loose is an invitation for tangles, fairy knots, and general damage (Oh, after one trip to the emergency room I had an MRI with it loose and it got caught in the table...so much pain and destruction).

A messy pony bun will do better than nothing.

I've had a half-updo with a barette, then the length in a single braid for the last couple days, and it has stayed nicely neat.

My husband doesn't mind combing and braiding my hair, and I have a couple girlfriends who will visit the hospital and do the same. (I think I'm more self-conscous about the unwashed hair than they are.)

Good luck and take care of yourself!

ilovelonghair
March 17th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I pile my hair up on my head, because when I'm sick I get sick of hair getting in the way :D.
I'm wearing my hair often like this because unfortunately I'm ill most of the time. But luckily I don't have to spend all day in bed. And indeed yay for laptops!

sapphire-o
March 17th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Well. I've just been sick for a few days and I mostly put it into a high ponytail like my usual bedtime. It definitely doesn't stay and fall loose a lot but fixing it is very easy. Luckily my hair doesn't tangle much even if I spend all day in bed, so what style I wear doesn't make much difference anyway.

Curlsgirl
March 17th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I usually end up wearing it down because when I don't feel good I get headaches very easily. If I can at all I like 2 braids though. I can't stand to lie on a bump from a single braid or bun and I can't stand high ponies or updos. OUCH!

lora410
March 17th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I keep mine in a low nape pony tail.

AJoifulNoise
March 17th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I've been really sick for a week (getting better!). Mostly I kept my hair in braids. I was too weak to life my arms over my head to bun. But, when I could I did bun it.

Anlbe
March 17th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Two low plaits one each side, can be done lying down, keeps it off my face better than one plait and is also cooler and far less likely to come undone. As my main problem when I'm ill is the fevers I run this is quite important for me because if I get delirious overnight it's out of the way both for me and whoever's looking after me.

p.s. I also find it important to keep my hair tangle free when I'm ill because otherwise the major shed that always happens afterwards causes alot of breakage

Anje
March 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm rarely sick, but when I am, it's usually in a low braid. That way I can lie down more comfortably that with a bun (Just pull the length over a shoulder when on your back) and it's out of the way and not tangling too badly.

Adrienne
March 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM
a pony tail. or all pushed back in a headband ( the way I wear it everyday) but usually when I am sick. I just wash and go with the pony tail.

Smokering
March 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I usually don't do my hair at all if I'm sick, which means it stays in its messy, low sleep braid. If I should have the good fortune to fall ill when my hair's done in neater braids, like a single French or double Dutch ones, so much the better!

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Braid or bun. If I'm sick it needs to be held up somehow. Especially if puking might be an issue.

If it's just exhaustion and I might need to go out, I have some scarves that are pretty that I'll tie on my head to cover greasy roots. I get compliments on them, so just make sure the scarves have a pretty pattern and people will think you're being feminine, not lazy and greasy.

Lisa-Maria
March 20th, 2008, 02:25 AM
A low braid is the way to go for me, I'm a low braid addict, can't even sleep well unless it's braided.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
a single braid or a bun

Maddy25
October 29th, 2009, 07:18 AM
plain old pony tail :)

Smitts
October 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Great thread!
I normally just push it back and I never go through it with a brush or comb. Then, depending on how long I am sick for, I will put a hat over it to keep the greasy hair from touching my face.

Redheaded Raven
October 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I use a low braid that I braid a scarf into and that stays out of the way. Or I use a bun and that works too.

Topaz
October 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
The most comfortable thing for me is a ponytail where I pull the hair through the scrunchy only halfway, thus not only getting my hair out of the way but also shortening it by about half. It's quick and easy to redo. When I'm sick, that's the only thing that works for me.

myrrhmaiden
October 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I like a cloth headband and a low pony to keep it all away from my face.

rags
October 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
A wide cloth headband and a low braid for me. Luckily, since I'm ill quite a lot, my daughter will braid it for me if needed.

mahoganyhorizon
October 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I have my head tied back in a scarf when I'm ill. I know it's gross, and I wash my hair two or 3 times a week, but when I'm sick, I won't wash it, even if it's a week or more. I can live with wet hair without a problem, but there is something about having a wet head when I have a cold that makes me ILL!

ericthegreat
October 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Whenver I'm not feeling well, I automatically pull my hair into a loose ponytail. If I feel up to it I will loosely braid it down to cut down on the amount of tangles I know I get from laying in bad all day.

Coriander
October 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Another low braid vote here... with a regular little elastic at the end so I don't have to lie on some big uncomfy scrunchie knob. lol

GeoJ
October 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Low braid, or if I feel too bad to bother with braiding I just put it in my sleep cap and forget it for a couple of days.

jesamyn
October 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not sick often, but I also default to a low single braid.

pepperminttea
October 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'm another who just does a single braid. Sometimes if I leave it for days, like I did with the flu last month, the detangling afterwards is pretty bad (it begins to get matted), but it seems to work as long as you're prepared for a patient, gentle session with your comb every few days.

Amara
October 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I do two low braids right behind my ears. That's more comfortable for me to sleep on. :)

GoldLady
October 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I've been lucky enough to have a completely healthy life until five years ago. In the last 3 years, I've had five hospitalizations, four surgeries. On the final mend now, though! :)

Through all of it, even in surgery, I wore my hair in a lightly oiled, very high bun (think librarian) in soft scrunchies, so I could lay on the back of my head without the bulk of my hair in the way.

Seems to have worked. I'm still on the grow.

jtl45
October 29th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I just had knee surgery a few weeks back and ended up spending 8 days in the hospital due to a infection! Being a daily shampooer, I have to say my hair was totally gross! I ended up putting it in a top knot as I was laying pretty much on my back elevated for a week! My deepest gratitude to the candy striper who took pity on me a washed my hair for me at the hospital!

Olivia23
October 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I had the swine flu a few weeks ago and iwas was very sick for a week. At that time I could have cared less about my hair so I did nothing. I didn't get out of bed hardly but when I was better my hair was a huge greasy rats nest!

RocketDog
October 29th, 2009, 03:28 PM
During my hospital stays I wore my hair in a loose single braid. It kept my hair relatively tidy and out of the way, and it didn't tangle TOO much since it was contained.

Juanita
October 29th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Two braids with hair friendly elastics. I normally wear my hair for sleeping this way so I can braid without too much thought and effort if not feeling well.

Jessikinz
October 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM
When I'm ill I don't really want to think about how my hair looks or how it's contained. I can usually get by with having it in a cinnabun tied with a scrunchie and that lasts for a good couple of days. Enough time for me to get better. :)