PDA

View Full Version : How to take care my hair before and after harsh hairdo treatment?

StellaKatherine
February 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
My search button still gives me errors for most of the time, so i don't know if this has been talked allready. But here the thing.. I am getting married this jun, and i will have my hair braided and curled and made in a fantastic hairdo of my dreams ( i hope so anyway ). My hair will get a hard treatment on that day with heat rollers ( to make my hair curl faster ) and will have lots of staff to keep it in shape.

The questions are here , yeah i have more than one , sorry :)

1.What would you suggest me to do to prevent or make sure my hair won't get as damaged from the treatments ?

2.What could i do before hand and what should i do right after the wedding for my hair?

3. How should i wash my hair after the wedding when trying to take my hairdo off ? Can be pain to take everything down....

I would realy appreciate some suggestions. I'm excited but little worried about the condition of my hair the day after :confused: :rolleyes:

Madora
February 17th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Protecting your hair before the treatment is kind of hard to determine since I don't know exactly what type of stuff the stylist is going to use on your hair (hair gel, hair spray, etc.).

Generally, I'd say be sure your hair is clean (at least one or two days from the shampooing).

After the hairstyle has served its purpose, gently finger comb your hair, then gently detangle it and either comb or brush it out.

Then shampoo as you usually would, then condition.
You might want to use a diluted shampoo and dilute the conditioner also.

Wishing you and your intended a wonderful life!:blossom:

PixxieStix
February 17th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I'll be watching this, as I'm in the same boat and was thinking about starting a thread on this subject! I know my mom is (probably) going to want to use a curling iron and a lot of product in my hair, and she's coming out a week and a half early and wants to do a few trial runs, so my hair will be experiencing quite a bit of damage over the week. My hair has only seen a curling iron twice in the past few years, and all I can hope at this point is that some TLC afterwards and maintaining my current routine will keep my hair from hating me for too long.

From past experience, when my mom did my BSL hair in high school for winter formal, I just left it in for three days. It didn't budge. When I did get around to taking it out, it was a careful process of removing as many pins as I could find, gently unrolling pin curls all the way out, gently un-braiding the hair, and moving things around carefully to loosen it up enough to start detangling at the bottom and working my way up. My hair crunched the entire time, and I found more bobby pins once I hopped into the shower and started rinsing my hair.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably CWC, making sure to rinse my hair thoroughly before putting any conditioner or shampoo in.

Best of luck, and congratulations on your wedding!

mora
February 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM
... and will have lots of staff to keep it in shape.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably CWC, making sure to rinse my hair thoroughly before putting any conditioner or shampoo in.

If your hair really ends up with so product in it to make it hold very stiffly, you might be better off wetting and conditioning your hair before trying to do any detangling. I think a hairdresser here recommended that for if it seemed like dry detangling might lead to breakage.

papillon
February 18th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Heat protecting products will be your friend! I like the Thermal Creations line from tresemme (http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Heat/). I would definitely pamper and oil treat your hair after cleaning out the hairdo. :)

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Protecting your hair before the treatment is kind of hard to determine since I don't know exactly what type of stuff the stylist is going to use on your hair (hair gel, hair spray, etc.).

Generally, I'd say be sure your hair is clean (at least one or two days from the shampooing).

After the hairstyle has served its purpose, gently finger comb your hair, then gently detangle it and either comb or brush it out.

Then shampoo as you usually would, then condition.
You might want to use a diluted shampoo and dilute the conditioner also.

Wishing you and your intended a wonderful life!:blossom:

I'm 100 % sure she will use a hair spray and probably somekind of product ( probably foam) for hair to make it easier curl and stay curled.

As only part of my hair will be fully curled i was thinking to ask if we could put hair to curl without heat like over night - i would gladly sleep less comfortable if it will make sure my hair will stay in a little better condition, but we will see what the hairdresser will say. Kinda difficult when want to look stunning on our wedding day and then again i want to keep my hair good :D

Thank you for your wishes. That will be an important day for us, as we will celebrate 10 years together at same time ( well the exact day allready came and go, but now we will have the celebration of it ) , yep we are little slow :D

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I'll be watching this, as I'm in the same boat and was thinking about starting a thread on this subject! I know my mom is (probably) going to want to use a curling iron and a lot of product in my hair, and she's coming out a week and a half early and wants to do a few trial runs, so my hair will be experiencing quite a bit of damage over the week. My hair has only seen a curling iron twice in the past few years, and all I can hope at this point is that some TLC afterwards and maintaining my current routine will keep my hair from hating me for too long.

From past experience, when my mom did my BSL hair in high school for winter formal, I just left it in for three days. It didn't budge. When I did get around to taking it out, it was a careful process of removing as many pins as I could find, gently unrolling pin curls all the way out, gently un-braiding the hair, and moving things around carefully to loosen it up enough to start detangling at the bottom and working my way up. My hair crunched the entire time, and I found more bobby pins once I hopped into the shower and started rinsing my hair.

Congratulations for your wedding :D When is the date ?

The part of taking the hairdo down is the most scarry thing to me. Luckely the hairdresser said she doesn't think that i need a hair extentions at all even tho my hairstyle will be complicated and needs lots of hair. So at least i won't need to search for the clips and try to take the extentions out of my own hair hehe Thank you for the advice with CWC, it does makes sence !

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Heat protecting products will be your friend! I like the Thermal Creations line from tresemme (http://www.tresemme.com/Products/Heat/). I would definitely pamper and oil treat your hair after cleaning out the hairdo. :)

Oh yeah i'm sure will pamper my hair after wards ( hopefully i will have enough of hair for that hehe ) . Tho i probably stress about this matter little too much - dunno. I will defenantly check that heat protecter - thank you ! :)

shikara
February 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM
You are getting good advice here! Altho I haven't used the heat protectant products they probably work quite well. Your idea of a night before dry curl is clever! There are a number of methods that should work extremely well! I would make sure to have very well conditioned and balanced (moisture/protein) BEFOREHAND. Ive heard that using a deep moisture treatment for colored hair works very well, as it is specially formulated to attend to damage that might be there from those chemicals. I use the loreal one for that, and have had great results! Find out what ingredients are in the products that will be used and do a little googling on them, if you are not sure. And above all, be assertive - its your hair!! Good luck on the styling, and Congrats!

Oh, is backcombing planned? OUCH! I'd check into that too.

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Oh, is backcombing planned? OUCH! I'd check into that too.

No backcombing! We had little talk with the hairdresser allready where she checked the amount of my hair and such. So there was nothing about backcombing, tho i am againts that one for sure!

I will defenantly ask what products she will use, that is an awesome advice, and i didn't even think about possibility to condition hair beforehand! Would you remember the name of the product you used?

heidi w.
February 18th, 2012, 11:18 AM
The largest problem is getting the hairspray out which is likely something they'll use for helping with hold of the hair and to prevent ends or bits from sticking out. I would not recommend brushing out the hairspray to detangle the hair prior to a hair wash. ETA: To be clearer, I would detangle with a comb not a brush. And I recommend taking your time and being patient. END ETA

This one event won't ruin your hair: it'll merely present troubles the day after, but it will all dissipate as you fall back to your normal routine. You may have to wash the hair twice to get all the hairspray out, depending on how you wash your hair.

There isn't much you can do in advance to prevent some of the problems. I would, however, argue that having unwashed hair will help with stick and hold. Pristinely clean hair tends to slip a bit. Most stylists know that one day of nonhairwashing prior to a creation of a stellar updo is a fairly good idea.

I wish you the very best in your upcoming nuptials, and may you and yours have a blessed life.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I'm 100 % sure she will use a hair spray and probably somekind of product ( probably foam) for hair to make it easier curl and stay curled.

As only part of my hair will be fully curled i was thinking to ask if we could put hair to curl without heat like over night - i would gladly sleep less comfortable if it will make sure my hair will stay in a little better condition, but we will see what the hairdresser will say. Kinda difficult when want to look stunning on our wedding day and then again i want to keep my hair good :D

Thank you for your wishes. That will be an important day for us, as we will celebrate 10 years together at same time ( well the exact day allready came and go, but now we will have the celebration of it ) , yep we are little slow :D

Backcombing is also known as "teasing". Make sure the stylist know you mean both. As for hot curlers, if your hair takes curl fairly easily, you could consider the use of "steam" rollers. They're still a heat product but a little gentler on hair. I also know of ways to curl hair without any heat, but most stylists don't want to fiddle with this as it takes volumes of time to achieve.

heidi w.

woolyleprechaun
February 18th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Isnt there anychance you can use rag-curls? Ive had a lot of sucsess with them in the past, and you have time to experiment with them before the big day! (CONGRATULATIONS!!!) If you use small sections of hair and thin fabric strips, you can get a nice fuzz curly bit where backcombing would have otherwise been used. You can even do them lengthways in thicker sections to get fairytale ringlets :)

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
yeah my hair does curl prity easily and actually stays curled kinda well as well. We will have a test hairdo where we will check how well my hair for sure will stay curled. My hairdo will have most of the hair up ( so i think there will be a little less damage as some will be braided ) but some of my hair will be down in kinda like "fairytale ringlets" but more naturally looking. Lol my hairdo sounds ugly from this discription, but actually even tho it is little complicated it should be very nice and different looking hehe. I personally ready to pay little more if needed if the time will be the issue for using or not using a hot rollers. I will ask about steam rollers as well.

heidi w, As i remember from all the hairdos i've made for myself. I manage to make my best hairdo's on the second day after washing my hair. Just after i wash my hair it looks huge and fluffy ( yes fluffy is the best way to call it, my fiance call's me a little sunshine or angel at my first wash day, as my hair is trying to stand up with all the lenght it has haha, hmmm i guess i need to take photo at some point of the day one hair :D ). Anyway it does make sence to possibly wash my hair early enough before the wedding day...

I am writing here all your girls suggestions on my paper here, i feel like i am getting very well prepaired for talking with my hairdresser!

Seeshami
February 18th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yay for another getting married!!! Remember it's totally okay to cry when you feel like it, it makes the bridezillas go away.

I am doing my own hair for my wedding is march, and there will be no product in it. It's a bun with ribbon and decorated pins. If I really feel like making it indestructibun I will use pure aloe as hair gel.

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Congratulations Seeshami! Are you starting to feel nervers as your wedding is so close? I was thinking first of making something similar as well (the bun), but i always but normal or curled buns for all the weddings i go too, so i thought that this is the only chance to make something that i defenantly wouldn't be able to do myself :D

Seeshami
February 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
No actually the closer it gets the happier I am. I asked multiple times at the start of planning if I could just quit and cancel but Muffin said no. Now that it's done and people can't be difficult any more I get to be excited.

This is my practice bun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/f3fa1e8c.jpg

And these are my bun decorations:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/cf596ae0.jpg
I have 6 of each flower and 5 butterflies. I don't know if I will use them all yet.

woolyleprechaun
February 19th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Whooop! EPIC bun there, beautiful! :)

StellaKatherine
February 19th, 2012, 06:02 AM
No actually the closer it gets the happier I am. I asked multiple times at the start of planning if I could just quit and cancel but Muffin said no. Now that it's done and people can't be difficult any more I get to be excited.

This is my practice bun:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/f3fa1e8c.jpg

And these are my bun decorations:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BrokenCagedBird/cf596ae0.jpg
I have 6 of each flower and 5 butterflies. I don't know if I will use them all yet.

Wow, i realy love the look of your bun! How did you make it ? That butterfly is especially adorable ! :heart:

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I used the clairol jazzing hair color a few weeks ago. My hair got dry and fuzzy. I did extra oiling. You will have to oil and pamper your hair.

Kelikea
February 19th, 2012, 08:08 AM
http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/SallyBeauty/SBS-209403?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0
I used these super rollers to do my hair. I had to set it myself the night before. I knew my hair would not hold any kind of heated curl (we did a trial run and it did not work) so I told my hir dresser that I would roll it the night before and she could take it out and style it. She did put me under the dryer a bit just to make sure my hair was fully dry. My hair was spiral curled all over, and then she put a center part, sides up and then pinned flowers all over the back of my head and used a lot of spray.

The month before, I used joico K-pak protein treatment to strengthen my hair, and lots of conditioner. Use lots of conditioner again when you take you hair out of your 'do and comb very gently while it is coated with conditioner. Maybe try a CWC for after the wedding to help get all the product out and baby it.

Seeshami
February 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
woolyleprechaun: Thank you! :D It's a cement bun, with any kind of gel it would be indestructibun

StellaKatherine: It is a braided cinnabun with ribbon. But I do my ribbon different then most people. I use a ribbon twice the length of my hair plus 5 or so inches. I loop it through a hair tie at the middle and then wrap the ribbon around the one of the three braided sections. The blue was to short and that's why you can't see it in the picture as well. Once all the sections I want are wrapped, I braid it and then cinnabun it.

The butterflies are silk from a very nice lady on Etsy. And the flowers are from a super nice lady on Ebay.