PDA

View Full Version : Not growing, split ends-HELP!

Naiadryade
February 17th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hi Folks!

I'm pretty new here, though I've been on-and-off lurking for a while.

I'm really frustrated because it seems like my hair hasn't grown in about a year. When I was a teen it was almost waist-length before I cut it, so I know that at BSL I'm not at my terminal length! I have a lot of split ends, so I think that might be the problem... my hair is breaking off as fast as it's growing.

I'm ready to cut off the split ends, but I've got a conundrum: my hair isn't all one length. I'm not sure if this is a holdover from when my hair was shorter and I used to layer it (I've cut my own hair for 6+ years), or if it's just that the shorter ones have broken off farther up... but either way, how do I go about trimming this? I don't want to hack off the healthy longer parts just to get to the split ends that are halfway up my hair. Should I just trim the bits at the bottom and not worry about the ones higher up for now? Should I try to isolate the shorter strands to trim their split ends too?

And once they're trimmed, is there a natural way to keep them from re-splitting?

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I've been water-only with occasional ACV soaks for a few years. I'd be open to adding other natural treatments to my haircare routine, but I'll never go back to chemical shampoos and conditioners! I recently washed my roots with baking soda (for the second time ever since going WO) because I found advice on TLHC saying that washing would help my cowlick to not be sore. That worked, though I'm not happy with how dry my hair is now. I'm thinking of oiling my ends with olive oil after I trim them, though I've never done that before and I'm a little nervous that it will be way too oily, especially since my hair usually leans towards the lightly oily side. Will that help them to not re-split, though?

Here's my hair a few days ago (just rinsed with ACV and dried, not yet brushed). You can see how split it all is, though as I said my hair isn't usually this dry! http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/Naiadryade/hair.jpg

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Madora
February 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Splits, no matter where they are, will continue to split, so it's best to get rid of them.

It looks to me like you need to cut back at least 5 inches, to get rid of most of the damage.

I'd definitely quit using baking soda!

What kind of comb and brush do you use? How often?

Do you use any kind of heat on your hair? (Straighteners/hot irons/hot curlers?)

Do you blow fry?

Do you wear your hair up?

How gently do you detangle your hair every day?

You might not want to cut back so much hair, but quite frankly it would be difficult to manage all the damage with just plain S and Ding every day.

An overnight EVOO treatment might help..but you need long term tlc to return your hair to full health.

Good luck!

Naiadryade
February 17th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Yikes, I do NOT want to cut off 5 inches!! I'm going to go through my hair today bit by bit and trim off just what is clearly splitting... I don't think I'll need 5 inches, but I'll post a picture here when I'm done.

Yeah, the baking soda didn't go over well... as I said it's only the second time I've done it, and the last time was about 2 years ago. Is there another natural (not shampoo!) way to wash my roots a bit to get rid of crown cowlick pain, that's not so harsh and drying?

I use wooden brush, usually twice a day. I know after reading some posts on here that I should probably switch to a wide-toothed comb and a BBB... when I was a kid my mom's BBB always made my hair tangled and crazy fluffy, but maybe I was using it wrong? I always assumed it was just not meant for my hair type (my mom's hair is coarse and very thick, different from mine).

I could probably be gentler when I brush it, but it doesn't really take much detangling most of the time unless I've gone a few days without brushing. When I find little knots I just brush below the knot first and work my way up gradually to get the knot out. I don't go overly fast or anything.

No heat or blow-drying. I don't really do much to my hair at all.

I very rarely wear my hair in updos. For me half the reason to have long hair is for the blanket! Mostly I'm free-flowing, occasionally I'll put it in a ponytail to regulate my temperature. In the summer, I often wear it in two braids.

What is S and Ding? How do I do an overnight EVOO treatment, and is it possible to do without having to wash your hair afterwards? I don't even own shampoo and I have no interest in it.

Thanks for your help!!

wicked kisses
February 17th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Check out the 'Useful Links' up at the top. Lots of info you could use. Frankly, I keep some baby shampoo around for when I get too much oil buildup from the conditioner I use to clean my hair. Or if I get something nasty in it. (Three kids, much mayhem.)
My hair looked like that about five years back. I just went ahead and trimmed back to shoulder, then babied it.

furnival
February 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
How do I do an overnight EVOO treatment, and is it possible to do without having to wash your hair afterwards? I don't even own shampoo and I have no interest in it.

Thanks for your help!!

For an overnight treatment I just rub olive oil onto my palms and stroke it through the length of my hair, just enough to make my hair feel a fairly oily. Then I braid it for the night. It's actually easier to remove oil with conditioner than shampoo, if you don't mind conditioner. Good luck! :)

Anje
February 17th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I did water-only for about 8 months, but found that my length got too dry, which is one reason I eventually stopped. I used oils a lot during that time, and I'd say that if you just put in a drop or two (not a palmful or anything!), you should be able to get the excess out easily with just a water-only rinse later.

If you have not done a dilute vinegar rinse after having used baking soda, do that ASAP. It'll help a lot -- hair prefers to be a bit on the acidic side. Actually, you'll probably find that a dilute vinegar rinse helps if you can't get enough of the oils out too. It worked for me.

And I know you don't want to hear it, but wearing your hair up or at least braided most of the time will save your ends a lot of wear and tear. Bunning it when it's damp will also help increase the moisture levels in your ends. At minimum, make a point to not let your hair get trapped between your back and chairs (pull it over your shoulder instead), under the straps of your backpack or purse, or rubbed by zippers and other things that will tear at it.

Madora
February 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Yikes, I do NOT want to cut off 5 inches!! I'm going to go through my hair today bit by bit and trim off just what is clearly splitting... I don't think I'll need 5 inches, but I'll post a picture here when I'm done.

Yeah, the baking soda didn't go over well... as I said it's only the second time I've done it, and the last time was about 2 years ago. Is there another natural (not shampoo!) way to wash my roots a bit to get rid of crown cowlick pain, that's not so harsh and drying?

I use wooden brush, usually twice a day. I know after reading some posts on here that I should probably switch to a wide-toothed comb and a BBB... when I was a kid my mom's BBB always made my hair tangled and crazy fluffy, but maybe I was using it wrong? I always assumed it was just not meant for my hair type (my mom's hair is coarse and very thick, different from mine).

I could probably be gentler when I brush it, but it doesn't really take much detangling most of the time unless I've gone a few days without brushing. When I find little knots I just brush below the knot first and work my way up gradually to get the knot out. I don't go overly fast or anything.

No heat or blow-drying. I don't really do much to my hair at all.

I very rarely wear my hair in updos. For me half the reason to have long hair is for the blanket! Mostly I'm free-flowing, occasionally I'll put it in a ponytail to regulate my temperature. In the summer, I often wear it in two braids.

What is S and Ding? How do I do an overnight EVOO treatment, and is it possible to do without having to wash your hair afterwards? I don't even own shampoo and I have no interest in it.

Thanks for your help!!

How you use your hairbrush has a lot to do with how your hair looks..i.e. damage.

For healthy hair, you should detangle every day with a wide tooth comb before you use the brush.

I've never used a wooden brush. I've always used a natural boar bristle brush since their bristles closely mirror the structure of human hair.

Keeping your hair healthy and free of splits depends on how much tlc you're willing to provide. Hair should always at least be combed every day, preferably brushed also.

Wearing it down subjects it to more dirt/dust/pollution, not to mention the delicate ends catching on things/rubbing against fabric and chairs and such. I'm not saying you have to wear your hair up all the time..but updos do protect your hair.

You might want to investigate a silk pillowcase cover to protect your hair at night.

S and Ding means Search and Destroy..a method of cutting off any damage you see..such as white dots or any kind of split or fairy knot. There are different ways of S and Ding...you can just take minute strands and hold them up in good light and snip away the damage, or you can gently twist those strands, and look for any damage that might pop up in the twisted strands. Be sure and use good light and use SHARP shears! If you use dull shears, your hair will not be properly cut and the poor cut will only mean more damage.

EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) treatment:

Shampoo and condition hair, air dry
Next day:

1/4 cup of EVOO in a shallow bowl

Use your fingers to apply EVOO all over your strands (I do ears down only)

Your hair should be slightly damp and NOT dripping.

Coil hair in a bun and pin it on your head

Take 3 sheets of cling wrap (Saran wrap) and drape them over your head until all the hair is covered by the wrap

Keep it on overnight

Shampoo out EVOO and slightly condition. Airdry hair

Leaves my hair shiny and soft and provides terrific slip for braiding.

Some members only leave it on for a few hours.

I always rinse out the EVOO since I don't want anything sitting on my hair for days at a time.

lunalocks
February 17th, 2012, 12:04 PM
5 inches sound horrid, but I had to do this several years ago to get rid of damaged hair due to community theater abuse, and it was the right decision.

Be SURE the sissors you are using are for hair and are sharp.

I have found the being in bright sunlight is the best for finding splits to s and d.

spidermom
February 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Teeny tiny trims from 2 directions. Make ponytail on top of head - dead center - and trim the very longest tip ends.

Make ponytail at nape of neck, centered on neck, and trim off the very longest tip ends.

With regular tiny trims - no more than 1/4 inch - plus trimming off individual splits as you see them, you should get to a point where most of your bad ends are gone and your hair is growing.

MissHair
February 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think it's a wise decision to cut back 5 inches. It's going to grow back looking so much healthier and thicker and it's gonna happen faster than you know it. The thing about split ends is that there is no magic shampoo solution like you see in the advertisements. In order to get rid of them permenately, is to cut it off. It may sound drastic but in 3 months time you'd be happy you did it. Maybe if you do it now, your hair will look much better by the time spring/summer arrives.

Conditioning is also very important I've learned. My hair was like yours before I discovered LHC. If you got too many split ends, it's probably a sign that your hair is too dry. Deep conditioning once a week, or conditioner everyday and oils every now and then. But I only suggest this after a trim.

MissHair
February 17th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Teeny tiny trims from 2 directions. Make ponytail on top of head - dead center - and trim the very longest tip ends.

Make ponytail at nape of neck, centered on neck, and trim off the very longest tip ends.

With regular tiny trims - no more than 1/4 inch - plus trimming off individual splits as you see them, you should get to a point where most of your bad ends are gone and your hair is growing.

Do you mind giving me a tutorial with pictures on how to do the pony tails and where exactly to place them? I wanna try this.

torrilin
February 18th, 2012, 07:53 AM
It honestly doesn't look to me like your hair is horribly split. The picture is awful blurry, and individual hairs are awfully small. Hair is mostly measured in microns, and microns are 0.001 mm. It'd be pretty unusual to have hairs a lot thicker than 70 microns or so (and if you did... you would be a C, not an M :D ). Splits are even tinier, so there's no way they'd be actually visible in that picture. And since baking soda is very alkaline, unless you used it in a very very very dilute solution, I'm surprised your hair doesn't look drier.

I'd agree with Anje that it's a good idea to try a dilute vinegar rinse to deal with any residual high p.H issues from the baking soda. Very dilute! I usually would use maybe 5-15mL in a 500mL glass, and most vinegar is sold as a 5% solution to begin with... so this is a really really really low concentration of acid. I leave a bit of head space in the glass and just sort of pour my hair in. If you absolutely can't stand the smell of vinegar, lemon juice or citric acid at a similar dilution can do the job. The big thing with acid rinses is they need to be very very dilute. This might be enough all by itself.

If a vinegar rinse is not enough, oiling might help. And olive oil is at least a reasonable place to start. What I do to oil my hair is I put a tiny amount on my hands, just enough to form the thinnest possible film of oil on them. Then I gently use my hands to detangle my hair, starting from the ends. (like most fine haired types, I can't take a lot of oil) So far I haven't used any oil on my hair that I wouldn't use in food. The rules for food safety are stricter than the rules for cosmetic safety, so I can't see why I'd put cocoa butter or coconut oil on my hair that I wouldn't consider safe to eat. Plus, that way I *can* eat it and I don't have to worry about the oil going off. There's no way I'd go through even 10mL of oil on my hair in 6 months, but we can cheerfully eat a liter in 6 months, no problem. Keeping things reasonably fresh matters for our hair just as much as it does for the rest of our bodies, so...

I get the hair as a blanket idea. But a single braid down the back of your neck is pretty warm still, and is useful if you feel like your hair looks ridiculously oily. Oiled braids tend to look especially good. And it can take quite some time for your hair to absorb the oil, so if you feel like it looks hideous, throw it into a loose braid and let it be.

It seems to me that your routine largely works for you, and about the worst that might be happening is your skin is dry enough that it can't produce enough sebum to keep your hair in good shape at this length. Keeping the dryness in check will cut down on split end formation. I don't think it makes sense to consider a huge chop without addressing the root causes of your problem.

jojo
February 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Have you ever clarified? your hair looks more likes its got build up on it, id try clarifying and then maybe a 2" trim, every 4 months until you get it looking healthier.

Naiadryade
February 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your advice!

For the record, I know that was a really horrible-looking picture of my hair... Here's another that was taken on Friday, soon before I trimmed--it's brushed in this picture, and is a few extra days post-baking soda, so my sebum had started to re-coat my hair. Still clearly damaged, but not so scary: http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/Naiadryade/IphonePicturesFeb17017.jpg

I haven't gotten the guts to cut 5 inches, but I did trim it--about 3 inches in the end. Friday night I took my sharp fabric scissors into the bathroom for some serious work. I started with spidermom's 2-ponytail trim method. Then I slowly and systematically went through all my hair, S&Ding chunk by chunk until it was all done. I kept the layers, and S&D trimmed those too.

Then I put a little olive oil on the bottom 6 inches or so of my hair... just enough to coat it, I was too nervous to use much more. then I put it in a bun and went to bed.

The next day (yesterday), I did my ACV routine on my oiled hair to get the oil out. I soaked it in diluted (herb-infused) ACV and bunned it on top of my head for an hour or so, then rinsed it out and massaged my scalp and hair a bunch in the shower. One last rinse with the rest of the diluted ACV, then I rinsed that out too. I let it air-dry, was relieved to find my hair not too oily anymore, and I gotta say, I really love how soft the EVOO made my hair!!

I've also been continuing the S&D mission in the sun, carrying scissors in my pocket.

Today I had my boyfriend trim it just to even out the ends in the back, and here's what it looks like now: http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/Naiadryade/IphonePicturesFeb18004.jpg

Do you think I should still cut off more? There are still definitely split ends in there, though not nearly as many.

I'm going to abandon my water-only lifestyle for now... though sorry to say to all you who are suggesting conditioner, I am a die-hard all natural girl. No toxic chemicals on my head, thank you! After reading around LHC a bit more, I think I'm going to start doing regular catnip treatments, occasional EVOO treatments, and wash with soapnuts, in addition to my herb-infused ACV. And of course I'm going into town tomorrow to get a wide-toothed comb and a BBB! And some nice fabric for pillowcases and scrunchies... is satin as good as silk?

Naiadryade
February 19th, 2012, 11:19 PM
If you have not done a dilute vinegar rinse after having used baking soda, do that ASAP. It'll help a lot -- hair prefers to be a bit on the acidic side.

I did--in fact, I soaked my hair in dilute vinegar before putting the baking soda on, rinsed it out, and then did another vinegar rinse.

At minimum, make a point to not let your hair get trapped between your back and chairs (pull it over your shoulder instead), under the straps of your backpack or purse, or rubbed by zippers and other things that will tear at it.

That I can do!

Naiadryade
February 19th, 2012, 11:30 PM
It honestly doesn't look to me like your hair is horribly split. The picture is awful blurry, and individual hairs are awfully small... Splits are even tinier, so there's no way they'd be actually visible in that picture.

Trust me... up close, almost every end was split. I know it wasn't a great picture.

Very dilute! I usually would use maybe 5-15mL in a 500mL glass, and most vinegar is sold as a 5% solution to begin with... so this is a really really really low concentration of acid... The big thing with acid rinses is they need to be very very dilute.

I do vinegar rinses regularly, including post-BS, at about 2tbsp of ACV per cup of water. Is this too strong? My hair seems to like them, I think. I know my scalp does.

So far I haven't used any oil on my hair that I wouldn't use in food... Keeping things reasonably fresh matters for our hair just as much as it does for the rest of our bodies, so...

I'm right there with you! This is why I'll never go back to *products*... if it shouldn't be in my body, why would I put it on my head?

It seems to me that your routine largely works for you, and about the worst that might be happening is your skin is dry enough that it can't produce enough sebum to keep your hair in good shape at this length. Keeping the dryness in check will cut down on split end formation. I don't think it makes sense to consider a huge chop without addressing the root causes of your problem.

:o Thank you for the vote of confidence! I hope you are right, and I'm definitely trying to address the root problems... I think the catnip and EVOO will help a lot, as will my being a little more careful with my hair in general!

The hardest thing will be keeping the baby I live with from grabbing my hair... if there is any time for the braid or bun, while holding the baby is probably it!

Naiadryade
February 19th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Have you ever clarified? your hair looks more likes its got build up on it, id try clarifying and then maybe a 2" trim, every 4 months until you get it looking healthier.

I don't use chemical products, but from what I understand baking soda clarifies, yes? I used that just a few days before that picture... and I'm not sure what there would be build-up of anyway, since I don't use any products, just water and ACV. Sebum maybe, but again that picture was taken when my hair was pretty dry from the baking soda!

hellucy
February 20th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Hi just thought you might find this link good as you don't want to use chemical shampoos - green tea as a shampoo!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88126

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I'd start with getting rid of the splits, oil your hair, monistat read the thread, stretch washing get rid of heated appliances and chemicals. Take a vitamin and hair skin and nail vitamin. Good luck. Don't forget your up dos.

Madora
February 20th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Thank you for posting the latest pictures, Naiadryade! A world of difference from the first photo!!

Your hair looks so much better now! Love the color!

Just keep up with the S and Ding and making sure your hair has enough moisture.

Good luck!

Naiadryade
February 20th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Hellucy, thanks for the link! I may try that at some point.

Madora, thank you! It's amazing what the right lighting can do to the apparent color of my hair... In most lighting it's really closer in color to the other pictures, darkish brown, but I will take the glowing afternoon sun when I can get it! :sun: :meditate:

gazelle
February 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
In your last picture your hair seems much healthier. There is always a solution for problems here on LHC :)

And you have lovely hair color

Mesmerise
February 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
In your last picture, it looks to me as if only the last couple of inches are really bad. There seems to be quite a bit of taper as the ends are very thin, and then it's much thicker a couple of inches up. I think I would probably trim off those last two inches. It would get rid of a lot of your splits!

I'm afraid I can't give much advice about your hair care routine. After trying to go more natural, I returned to regular S&C. I do like ACV rinsing though!

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Splits, no matter where they are, will continue to split, so it's best to get rid of them.

It looks to me like you need to cut back at least 5 inches, to get rid of most of the damage.

I'd definitely quit using baking soda!

What kind of comb and brush do you use? How often?

Do you use any kind of heat on your hair? (Straighteners/hot irons/hot curlers?)

Do you blow fry?

Do you wear your hair up?

How gently do you detangle your hair every day?

You might not want to cut back so much hair, but quite frankly it would be difficult to manage all the damage with just plain S and Ding every day.

An overnight EVOO treatment might help..but you need long term tlc to return your hair to full health.

Good luck!

I generally concur with Madora.

I would say you need around 2 inches removed to "even" up the hemline. Your hemline (the bottom of your hair) is a bit uneven, particularly because of some growth a bit faster showing on the far right, a little spike lower than the rest.

The picture does not reveal the splits. Where are your splits? Are they throughout all of your hair? OR are they more at the bottom, say the last 3 inches, or thereabouts? It's somewhat normal to have the bulk of damage show more in the hemline, the oldest hair.

Splits can occur throughout length, but typically far less commonly than in the oldest hair and near the hemline.

You also claimed you perform an ACV "soak". Um, that's not necessary to soak your hair for a long duration in ACV or any vinegar concoction. ACV or white vinegar is a "rinse" and you merely apply to the hair and rinse right out. IF you are doing hair washes with Baking Soda, I advise against this habit. Baking Soda is used for a home recipe for "clarifying" the hair -- that means to remove all buildup, hard water mineral deposit, product, dirt, sebum, anything laying on top of the hair's cuticle. But if you fail to condition in the wake of a Baking Soda hair wash, you're going to have very dry hair that is more susceptible to breakage.

As a wavy gal, you need moisture. Allow me to suggest Biolage's Conditioning Balm as a conditioner. It's fairly thick, heavy, and viscous. You can dilute it. Sally's has a generic version of this conditioner for a whole lot cheaper than regular market price, approximately $40 for a 38 fluid ouce vat (available at Walmart beauty salon super center; not available in the beauty product aisles of the store though). You can buy a smaller supply for around $20. The generic brand at Sallys is far thinner and works almost as well, and its price is a whole lot less than $40, around $10.

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar. Be sure to dilute this really heavily. Do not apply directly to the hair. Same with any other white vinegar. Never use Balsamic vinegar as it has sugar in it and will make the hair sticky. Apple Cider vinegar has the "mother" in it (as explained by Bragg's manufacturers) and helps pH balance the scalp skin for the health of the scalp skin (not the hair per se). Most shampoo and conditioner products leave the acid mantle in a kind of alkali -- or "base" as some pH scales term it -- state, an alkali state. And for most humans, we need the acid mantle to be a bit more "acidic" or rather, "neutral" which is about 6.8 on the pH scale (considered neutral). We get there by applying an acidic heavy application such as ACV. The "mother" in apple cider vinegar is the apple pulp, which is known to have "malic" acid in it and is said to be beneficial for scalp skin and pH. But if you're more of a blond, then don't use Apple Cider vinegar, use white distilled vinegar instead with the same dilution ratio: Be sure to dilute well still -- and NEVER, EVER combine baking soda and vinegar as this is a drain declogger solution!!

If you're washing your hair with water only, you may have a problem with the acid mantle, eventually. You'll have a film buildup on the scalp skin, and you may eventually need to "clarify" to get it off. But if you've been clarifying essentially fairly often, whenever you've used baking soda concoctions, you're kind of overdoing it, and drying out your hair, perhaps, unnecessarily.

I would say that your scalp hair, hair closest to the scalp needs shampooing, and nothing on the length except perhaps a conditioner only hair wash on the length only. You're not curly enough for conditioner on scalp hair, really. You're just a wavy hair type, not kinky, coily curly girl.

You can consider diluting a shampoo or find a shampoo without sulfate (sodium laurel/lauryth sulfate). Lorraine Massey designs low- and no- poo shampoos and sells them via Devachan Salon online. She's huge in the hair care industry with loads of information on caring for curly locks. She authored the book, Curly Girl and Curly Girl Handbook, which advocates conditioner only hair washing, which I am told is different from LHC's conditioner only hair wash technique.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Do you know how to properly wash your hair such as not piling hair on head and massaging about which incites tangles?

Do you know how to properly detangle, which is generally done with a wide-toothed comb versus a brush, and starting from the bottom up? (Not detangling from the top down.) (Some also prefer fingercombing, but it doesn't work on me at all.)

There's lots of stuff to know about hair care. Keep hanging around. You'll learn as you go along.

And sleep on a satin, sateen, or polyester pillowcase -- something smooth that your hair can slide against. Even cotton is friction-y with hair and causes tangles. Wear hair down only when safe to do so: no wind, not wearing a friction invoking fabric such as fleece, flannel, knit, knotty wools and such.

You will benefit from wearing updo.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I think you've trimmed sufficiently! Now is the time to learn how to really care for your hair. For example, you are preparing to buy a Boar Bristle Brush.

Do you know how to BBB? For example, detangle first before BBBing? BBBing is a polishing hair tool, not a detangling tool. Do you know it's great to oil length and BBB (after detangling)? Do you know to brush topside and underside separately as most BBBs do not penetrate most people's hair thickness. In short, don't press harder to get through the thickness. Just glide along the hair lenght over and over, topside and underside separately.

I would NOT BBB until that moisture problem is resolved, though.

There's a lot to know.

heidi w.

Naiadryade
February 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM
Wow, Heidi! Thank you for taking the time to give me so much advice!

The picture does not reveal the splits. Where are your splits? Are they throughout all of your hair? OR are they more at the bottom, say the last 3 inches, or thereabouts?

It was kind of both, because of the layers in my hair. All of the ends were split, but not all the ends are at the bottom. Now I think most of the splits are higher up, as I got most of the end ones. I have a fair amount of S&D ahead of me.

You also claimed you perform an ACV "soak". Um, that's not necessary to soak your hair for a long duration in ACV or any vinegar concoction. ACV or white vinegar is a "rinse" and you merely apply to the hair and rinse right out.

I always assumed it would be more effective if I left it on for longer... is what I've been doing actually harmful?

IF you are doing hair washes with Baking Soda, I advise against this habit. Baking Soda is used for a home recipe for "clarifying" the hair -- that means to remove all buildup, hard water mineral deposit, product, dirt, sebum, anything laying on top of the hair's cuticle. But if you fail to condition in the wake of a Baking Soda hair wash, you're going to have very dry hair that is more susceptible to breakage.

I've only used it twice, for clarifying. This most recent time I was trying to clarify my scalp, kind of, more than my hair... my crown cowlick was getting painful for the first time ever, and I found advice on LHC that this can be alleviated by washing the hair. Since I hadn't washed with more than water and ACV in over 2 years, I figured I'd go for the strong stuff. And I did an ACV rinse after.

If you're washing your hair with water only, you may have a problem with the acid mantle, eventually. You'll have a film buildup on the scalp skin, and you may eventually need to "clarify" to get it off. But if you've been clarifying essentially fairly often, whenever you've used baking soda concoctions, you're kind of overdoing it, and drying out your hair, perhaps, unnecessarily.

I think the regular use of ACV keeps my acidity in line--at least, I don't get dandruff anymore like I used to, so that's a good sign for my scalp's pH! But--a film of what on my scalp? Sebum? Could this film be why my cowlick has been bothering me (even now, the soreness has started to come back)? I have not been clarifying often at all... really just that once recently, and once about 2 years ago.

Do you know how to properly wash your hair such as not piling hair on head and massaging about which incites tangles?

I don't pile it on my head and rub it around. I do massage my scalp and my lengths as the water runs through it. Is that bad?

Do you know how to properly detangle, which is generally done with a wide-toothed comb versus a brush, and starting from the bottom up? (Not detangling from the top down.) (Some also prefer fingercombing, but it doesn't work on me at all.)

My mom taught me bottom-up detangling when I was a little girl, and I've always remembered that one! I just bought a wide-toothed comb yesterday, and I've been fingercombing the last few days too and that seems to work well for me.

There's lots of stuff to know about hair care. Keep hanging around. You'll learn as you go along.

Thank you, I will! I'm learning very fast already.

And sleep on a satin, sateen, or polyester pillowcase -- something smooth that your hair can slide against. Even cotton is friction-y with hair and causes tangles.

I've heard this, so the last few nights I've been sleeping on one of my "decorative" pillows instead of my regular one, until I get a new pillowcase. It's good to hear that it doesn't have to be silk, since I'm vegan!

Wear hair down only when safe to do so: no wind, not wearing a friction invoking fabric such as fleece, flannel, knit, knotty wools and such.

You will benefit from wearing updo.

heidi w.

This is going to be the hardest one for me. I don't think I can do it, at least not in the winter! I just love having my hair down so much... and it keeps me warm. On those long days when I'm outside wearing a hat, though, I will do it and just wear two hats. My hair is always so tangled at the end of those days... I think just starting with those times will make a big difference!

I think you've trimmed sufficiently! Now is the time to learn how to really care for your hair. For example, you are preparing to buy a Boar Bristle Brush.

Do you know how to BBB? For example, detangle first before BBBing? BBBing is a polishing hair tool, not a detangling tool. Do you know it's great to oil length and BBB (after detangling)? Do you know to brush topside and underside separately as most BBBs do not penetrate most people's hair thickness. In short, don't press harder to get through the thickness. Just glide along the hair lenght over and over, topside and underside separately.

I got that BBB yesterday, and I've been using it--yes, the way you've described. Though I've gotta say, it's kind of a frustrating sensation for me to just have it go through the outermost (and innermost) layers, and not penetrate to the middle! I'm used to using a wooden--and before that, plastic--brush, and I've always loooved the sensation of all those hard bristles gliding over my whole scalp. I hear that those brushes aren't good for the hair... will I never have that sensation again? The wide-toothed comb doesn't really do it.

I would NOT BBB until that moisture problem is resolved, though.

My hair hasn't felt dry to me since I did the EVOO treatment, so I hope I'm not doing damage to it by using the BBB now! I got catnip too, so I'm hoping that the two together will solve my moisture problems.

[quote=heidi w.;2004678]There's a lot to know.

heidi w.

Yes, it would seem so! But ever since I was a young girl I've dreamed of having very long hair, so I'm up for learning...

Speaking of which, as I peruse the boards here I keep admiring your signature photos. Your hair is so long!!! :thud: I envy you. And I also enjoy hanging out in cemeteries. :demon:

Naiadryade
February 21st, 2012, 10:17 PM
In your last picture, it looks to me as if only the last couple of inches are really bad. There seems to be quite a bit of taper as the ends are very thin, and then it's much thicker a couple of inches up. I think I would probably trim off those last two inches. It would get rid of a lot of your splits!

I know what you mean about the ends being thinner. Truthfully, that's because the longest parts now are my underneath layers, which weren't as damaged. The longest parts now don't have nearly as many split ends as the parts that end a couple inches up! Still, I've been going back and forth about cutting more to even it all out anyway.

torrilin
February 22nd, 2012, 05:41 AM
I do vinegar rinses regularly, including post-BS, at about 2tbsp of ACV per cup of water. Is this too strong? My hair seems to like them, I think. I know my scalp does.

It'd probably be too strong for my hair. Yours is coarser, so maybe it's ok?

Basically, it's chemistry. Our hair is a protein fiber, like wool or silk. Acids don't react well with protein fibers... they'll react with pretty much everything else first, then when there are no other options, they'll start reacting with proteins. A stronger vinegar solution has more actual acid molecules, so if your hair has a lot of goop on it, or if you're in a hard water area and prone to super heavy mineral build up, it's a good thing. But if your hair is pretty clean, then the only thing available for the acid to react with is... your hair.

Bleach damage comes from reacting a chemical with our hair (in fact, most of what gets called bleach damage doesn't actually have household bleach involved in the slightest...). Most other sorts of chemical reactions with hair will have similar effects.

The other factor in chemical reactions is time. Very few reactions are over and done with in seconds. Mostly, they're like cooking, and they might take several minutes or a couple hours or (sometimes) a few days. So if I were using a stronger rinse like yours, I'd start off the same way I started with milder rinses... dump it over my head so the exposure time is brief. Then gradually I'd experiment to see if somewhat longer times produced results I'd like.

It's all pretty theoretical tho :). I rarely have my milder rinse on my hair for more than about 15-20s. My hair is kept very clean, so vinegar rinses are only to deal with mineral build up. And while my water is pretty mineral laden, even a really dilute vinegar rinse has quite strong effects.

To some extent, this is a matter of taste. We all differ in terms of how much salt we like in our food, or how much sugar we want in our tea. But I'm sure we've all had food that was so salty or sweet no one would eat it too. So the trick is to figure out a balance between "just enough" and "eeeeeew", and definitely stay far away from things like a salt overdose. Hair stuff tends to be the same way.