PDA

View Full Version : How do DT oil treatments actually work?

lmfbs
February 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
My hair's a bit dry and I'm thinking I need to do a deep conditioning treatment. I was thinking of doing an EVOO soak, but then I wondered how does it actually work? If your hair can only absorb tiny molecules like coconut oil, what does the EVOO actually DO?

Also, I've run out of coconut oil and have almond or EVOO available - which would be better/more useful as a DT, or is there something else that might be good instead? I tried conditioner (left it on for 4 hours) but it hasn't quite done enough.

FrozenBritannia
February 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Do you have baby oil? You could try mixing the three (or two) and doing that as a soak. i did one the other day with olive oil, baby oil, and a bit of lemon juice (needed to use it up, not for any hair reason) and left it on for an hour, and my hair was so soft after!

shikara
February 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM
For me it had to be trial and error. Oils are certainly not preferred by my hair! What finally did the trick (at least for now) is an actual deep treatment before my wash, making sure my hair is good and wet through, then tucked in a shower cap for at least twenty minutes. These products are supposed to have ingredients that allow deep penetration of the conditioning ones. I use loreal for now. I have also noticed much greater condition and body incorporating a shampoo/conditiiner duo with keratin. It also helps a lot to really dampen my ends at night and tuck them in somehow - a roller, scarf.... Good luck - hope you discover what your hair is asking for!