PDA

View Full Version : What to do with hair while in hospital?

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I've read other threads about people who have went to the hospital- and their hair become horrible.

At the end of May/early June I will be in the hospital for several days- giving birth, and then probably recovering for two days (hopefully not more).

I can't braid my hair, and it will probably come out while in the hospital... It has layers, and my mom has already tried to braid it- and she's very good at it (she used to be a long hair), it's just my hair- won't stay.

I know how to use hairsticks, and forks- but am wondering how these will feel if I'm in bed the entire time, and lying on a pillow- probably not that great... I have tons of different sticks, and will be getting a Grah-Toe fork soon...

Any tips from anyone who has given birth in the hospital? What did you do with your hair? I'm looking at Ficcares... but am wondering how they would hold up with my thick hair, what kind of buns I can make with them, and if they'd feel ok while I'm lying down...

Just for reference- when I lie down now, I always take my hair sticks/forks out. I sleep with my hair down as well.

PrairieRose
February 16th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Once you give birth you will be sitting up more, not always laying down. Maybe a few of your comfortable hairs sticks or forks for the day, and bring your satin pillow case with you. Then when you do lay down with your hair out it will be better protected.

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Once you give birth you will be sitting up more, not always laying down. Maybe a few of your comfortable hairs sticks or forks for the day, and bring your satin pillow case with you. Then when you do lay down with your hair out it will be better protected.

I didn't even think to bring my pillowcase! Good idea!
What about while giving birth? Think the sticks will do the trick?

dulce
February 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Keep it up in a satin sleeping cap!I do this when my back acts up and I must be bedridden for a week or two.No tangles..

PrairieRose
February 16th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I think that the sticks will most likely do the trick until you actually give birth. During birth it may get a little crazy. Just bring your tangle teezer and oh maybe oil your hair a little.

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I think that the sticks will most likely do the trick until you actually give birth. During birth it may get a little crazy. Just bring your tangle teezer and oh maybe oil your hair a little.

Yep- definitely bringing those!!! :)

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Keep it up in a satin sleeping cap!I do this when my back acts up and I must be bedridden for a week or two.No tangles..

They make those???!!!

Moonlake
February 16th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Satin pillowslip- because it is good for your hair and you will look and feel glamorous when your visitors arrive.

Comb, Tangle-Teezer or favorite brush.

I suspect you will feel your best if you can keep things as much like you do at home on a normal night. Keep it simple.
You are going to be a mother! Congratulations! :blossom:

haha! Thank you!
And you're right- I should try to do the normal things I would do with my hair :)

rock007junkie
February 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Woman believe me, your hair will be the least of your worries. I had it up in a bun while I was giving birth. The two days after my hair was either down or up in a bun.

TheBluffs
February 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I would think that a snood could work, or a sleep cap.
I'm not sure if this is an option: but if your layers hold well, try Amish pins. I can keep them in for two days and can take my hair down untangled.

PianoPlaye
February 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Ask someone to make you a satin hair bonnet as a Mummy-gift?

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s on heading towards becoming a Mum - it's life changing & wonderful & I wouldn't go back.

Whatever you do, try not to worry too much? About the hair, as a starter. The more you can relax, the easier it all goes.

:magic::cheer::flowers:

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Ask someone to make you a satin hair bonnet as a Mummy-gift?

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s on heading towards becoming a Mum - it's life changing & wonderful & I wouldn't go back.

Whatever you do, try not to worry too much? About the hair, as a starter. The more you can relax, the easier it all goes.

:magic::cheer::flowers:

haha- agreed! My hair will be the least of my worries- but i just want to make sure it isn't in the way- there is a lot of it!
And thank you! :D I'm very excited!

xoxophelia
February 16th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I would suggest a high messy bun that I think I've seen you wear before. Last time I was in the hospital it was for a week and than very often for the next two weeks and I just wore two braids. But if you can't do that, a high bun should be comfortable.

molly_grue
February 16th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I recently gave birth and my hair was in a ponytail for labour and a pony or pigtails for the duration of the hospital stay. However, my hair is shorter than yours. Perhaps a bun on each side would be comfy for laying in bed. Or maybe you could wear a headscarf?

Kiwiwi
February 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I would suggest two pigtail braid, one on each side.
That will help your head lie comfortably on a pillow.
But you have layers so I suggest tying some hairbands every 2 inches down the braid. So the braid will stay intact.

I hope everything will go smoothly! My sister is expecting at the end of may too :-D

ladyfey
February 16th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I did a braid, once a family member finally brought me a ponytail holder! My hair was a worry for me, I got admitted very unexpectedly at 34 weeks and had nothing with me, my hair drove me nuts until I got it up!

jeanniet
February 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Unless you have a c-section or a very difficult birth, you probably won't be there longer than overnight, and even if you do have surgery, they will want you up and moving around as much as possible as soon as possible. It helps with healing and minimizes the risk of developing pneumonia. I was walking and pushing an IV pole less than 24 hours after my surgery. You definitely won't be lying flat in bed! A satin bonnet would probably be helpful for sleeping, but for the most part, you can probably just do your hair the way you normally do.

Expect that *at maximum* you will spend 3 nights there--again, this would be if you had a c-section or difficult birth. They don't want you to stay any longer than necessary. Most likely you'll have a normal birth and will be able to go home in 24 hours, and your hair will be just fine! :)

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Unless you have a c-section or a very difficult birth, you probably won't be there longer than overnight, and even if you do have surgery, they will want you up and moving around as much as possible as soon as possible. It helps with healing and minimizes the risk of developing pneumonia. I was walking and pushing an IV pole less than 24 hours after my surgery. You definitely won't be lying flat in bed! A satin bonnet would probably be helpful for sleeping, but for the most part, you can probably just do your hair the way you normally do.

Expect that *at maximum* you will spend 3 nights there--again, this would be if you had a c-section or difficult birth. They don't want you to stay any longer than necessary. Most likely you'll have a normal birth and will be able to go home in 24 hours, and your hair will be just fine! :)

Hospital and my DR already told me I'd be in a minimum of two days- probably three, and if I have a C-section, they'll keep me there 6 days! Different rules/guidelines here I guess? They also told me I'd be mostly in bed during the time, so that I heal properly...

ladyfey
February 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I'm in the US and I was in for 5 days, but that was an emergency c-section with complications. So even though it isn't likely, it can happen that you are in for awhile. And as Amber Maiden said, she could be in bed for a few days, I was.

rowie
February 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Wow congratulations Amber. I'm so happy for you! I did not know that you are expecting to have a baby. Seems like time is going by so fast.

Well, I've helped my sister give birth and it was the most intense and beautiful moment for her and me. I remember my sister bringing a scrunchie. I know it sounds tacky but you have to be comfortable at all times, especially during the recovery moments when you need to go to the bathroom (she had to use a bottle with cold water to ummmm.... I won't go there since this is a pg13 site...), but having a srunchie handy gave her the ability to tie her hair into a bun quickly at any unexpected moment.

If the scrunchie is too tacky you could try bringing one of those big hair claws (or butterfly clips). With the hair claw, it is easy to do a single french twist, clip it on, and voila your hair is up with a neater look. Plus I think it would look prettier than a scrunchie, you never know when you'll get unexpected visitors.

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Wow congratulations Amber. I'm so happy for you! I did not know that you are expecting to have a baby. Seems like time is going by so fast.

Well, I've helped my sister give birth and it was the most intense and beautiful moment for her and me. I remember my sister bringing a scrunchie. I know it sounds tacky but you have to be comfortable at all times, especially during the recovery moments when you need to go to the bathroom (she had to use a bottle with cold water to ummmm.... I won't go there since this is a pg13 site...), but having a srunchie handy gave her the ability to tie her hair into a bun quickly at any unexpected moment.

If the scrunchie is too tacky you could try bringing one of those big hair claws (or butterfly clips). With the hair claw, it is easy to do a single french twist, clip it on, and voila your hair is up with a neater look. Plus I think it would look prettier than a scrunchie, you never know when you'll get unexpected visitors.

Yep, time does go fast! :) And thank you!

The scrunchie does seem like a good idea- I hate them, but at least they won't damage my hair/be too tight!

Amazinggrace
February 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I have usualy worn a french braid, but a high bun held with a band would work too. I would not use a stick for fork for the labor. You move around a lot, even if in bed, and they can jab the wrong way and cause more pain then they are worth.

Once you have baby in your arms, any bun that keeps your hair up and out of the way if good. As long as your hair sticks aren't near baby's reach, which is very easy at that stage, you are great.

Try not to stress about it, but having a plan is a great idea. Simple is always best in these situations.

Congratulations! The time is getting closer. :)

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I have usualy worn a french braid, but a high bun held with a band would work too. I would not use a stick for fork for the labor. You move around a lot, even if in bed, and they can jab the wrong way and cause more pain then they are worth.

Once you have baby in your arms, any bun that keeps your hair up and out of the way if good. As long as your hair sticks aren't near baby's reach, which is very easy at that stage, you are great.

Try not to stress about it, but having a plan is a great idea. Simple is always best in these situations.

Congratulations! The time is getting closer. :)

Yes it is! Crazy how it's flown by... I don't think I'll fully take it all in until the end of April though- been focusing on my University studies and papers for the last 6 months... I graduate in April so I'll finally get a bit of a break!

Right about the sticks.. they can get jabby... Maybe I should consider doing my top knot... Haven't used an elastic in about a month now though- and I NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE- in my hair!!!

MandyBeth
February 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Can someone do French or Dutch pigtails running close to your ears? I have above collarbone length and a Dutch braid holds fine. Easy to sleep in, stay in well, out of the way.

Amazinggrace
February 16th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Yes it is! Crazy how it's flown by... I don't think I'll fully take it all in until the end of April though- been focusing on my University studies and papers for the last 6 months... I graduate in April so I'll finally get a bit of a break!

Right about the sticks.. they can get jabby... Maybe I should consider doing my top knot... Haven't used an elastic in about a month now though- and I NOTICE A BIG DIFFERENCE- in my hair!!!

A top know should work, as long as you don't feel any pulling. I know it sounds wierd, and I don't know if you plan to labor naturally; but the little things like pulling hair bothered me the most during contractions. I needed to be able to foucs on getting through the contractions, and little distractions pulled my attention away, and allowed me to feel more pain. That was not helpful.

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Can someone do French or Dutch pigtails running close to your ears? I have above collarbone length and a Dutch braid holds fine. Easy to sleep in, stay in well, out of the way.

It's only going to be DH and I... or I'd have my mom do it- but she won't be with me until after the baby is born.

ssjhotau2
February 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I did a top knot type thing with a scrunchy- right on top of my head during the labor.
Actually that is just how I sleep lol- and since I woke up at 5am-6am with every muscle in my abdomen clenched and bearing down I didn't think to change it.
It was perfect because I never even had to think about it and when everything was said and done it was still right where I put it the night before.

BTW Congratulations!

arcane
February 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'm one of those people lately that had a hospital experience that ruined my hair, in fact I cut most of it off because of it. What I wish I had done at somepoint was teach my DBF how to do some basic hair care because even after the hospital I was too weak to do anything to really properly care for my hair. And if you do have a difficult labour it may take you a bit to recover (two of my aunts took weeks to recover but admittedly their labours were very very rough).

Things like what my typical wash is like (CWC) with the products I use so someone can help me wash my hair. How to detangle my hair, and simple updos (show them how to use one of your hair forks). Also I may steal that stain sleeping cap if I ever need to be in the hospital again.

Also congratsulations!

Firefly
February 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
No advice to offer, but I just wanted to say congratulations!

jeanniet
February 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hospital and my DR already told me I'd be in a minimum of two days- probably three, and if I have a C-section, they'll keep me there 6 days! Different rules/guidelines here I guess? They also told me I'd be mostly in bed during the time, so that I heal properly...
I'm actually pretty surprised by that, especially by the healing faster staying in bed part, but of course your doctor knows your health better than I do. If you do have a normal birth, you won't want to stay in bed all the time, so I hope they give you a chance to walk around if you want to. It really does help. I didn't want to walk at first after my c-section, but they made me and it really helped my recovery--I could walk a mile a week later. After I had my second son VBAC, I was in terrible shape and physically unable to walk much (plus I had a catheter) and my recovery was much longer than with surgery. Anyway, even if in bed you won't have to be lying down and will be more comfortable sitting up, so you can use sticks then or a pretty hair bonnet. For labor, use something soft to make a high bun or topknot (scrunchie or whatever). That way, it'll be up out of the way and with luck won't get too terribly messed up.

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I'm actually pretty surprised by that, especially by the healing faster staying in bed part, but of course your doctor knows your health better than I do. If you do have a normal birth, you won't want to stay in bed all the time, so I hope they give you a chance to walk around if you want to. It really does help. I didn't want to walk at first after my c-section, but they made me and it really helped my recovery--I could walk a mile a week later. After I had my second son VBAC, I was in terrible shape and physically unable to walk much (plus I had a catheter) and my recovery was much longer than with surgery. Anyway, even if in bed you won't have to be lying down and will be more comfortable sitting up, so you can use sticks then or a pretty hair bonnet. For labor, use something soft to make a high bun or topknot (scrunchie or whatever). That way, it'll be up out of the way and with luck won't get too terribly messed up.

It's actually hospital procedure around here as well- doesn't have much to do the health of the patient- same goes for everyone usually.

And thank you to everyone for the congrats! :D

JesusFreak88
February 16th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Could you do hair taping? It would keep in your layers, it would be very comfortable while in bed, and you don't have to worry about redoing it for a few days. By the way congrats on the little one!