PDA

View Full Version : If you cut your hair, what would you continue?

Periwinkle
July 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Now, I know that most LHCers aren't even considering cutting their hair, but just assume that you did. From the 'what's long to you' thread, it seems like a good average is about BSL, so I'm going to say assume your hypothetical cut is to above BSL. Probably about shoulder length.

If you cut your hair to that length and weren't about to re-grow, what would you continue to do that you've only started to do since growing your hair? Or, if you have cut your hair to that length, what did you continue with?

I'm a pretty new member but I was thinking about this the other day and it's clear to me that a lot of what I've learned will probably be best for my hair whatever length it is. I would keep up combing and fingercombing, rather than brushing, and I would keep washing my scalp and rinsing the poo through my hair rather than washing it all, and I would probably still be more aware of what the things on the back of shampoo bottles actually mean, and I would probably keep up what's been the biggest change for me, which is wearing my hair in different ways. Until joining here, I only ever wore my hair in a ponytail: now I realise that no matter what length my hair is, there's always something else I can do with it and you don't have to be a hair genius to make it work!

Is there anything you'd go back to if you hair were short? I would probably experiment with henna (I don't have the courage at the moment) and dying and, if I could be bothered, with straightening in, which isn't something I've ever done before and I don't want to start now.

eadwine
July 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Brushing, most likely ;)

bex487
July 19th, 2008, 05:45 AM
It's funny I saw this thread because I just cut my shy-of-APL hair to a really short Victoria Beckham bob. My routine is definitely going to change. I'll need much less of everything (duh, lol), but there are also different techniques. Instead of using leave-in conditioner, I'll be using a cream/pomade to separate my layers and give texture. Instead of using my big BBB, I'll only use the small one. I never have to worry about how to sleep with my new hair! I actually was worried I'd be washing my hair more often, but so far the cut seems to look just fine even after a couple days.

goldenwaves
July 19th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I would straighten it, because the damage would be cut off again anyway:). Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my waves and curls, but it's nice to be a straighy every once in a while :P

brok3nwings
July 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I would use more mousse and stuff to give volume and a frekky hairstyle ;)

lora410
July 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM
If I went back to SL I'd get it re-layered and then i'd have to blow dry it a round brush my layers out :rolleyes:

WavyGirl
July 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
I have no plans to cut, but if I had to for some reason then my aim would be to grow it long again as healthily as possible. So I'd keep up all the good habits I've learned here. (No heat styling, no brushing, hair friendly toys, wearing it up most of the time, not washing too often etc)

If for some weird reason I found out it could never be long again then I'd go back to straightening because my waves and short hair are a really bad combo.

Dientje
July 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
I would continue the washing with diluted poo, and oiling my ends because my hair seems to like that a lot. I would also still use a little aloe vera on my hair, to enhance the waves a little.

I would also immediately get a perm. I love curls, and I have very little of my own :(

Curlsgirl
July 21st, 2008, 07:40 AM
I would continue to do my CWC and DTs, oiling and no cone routine. BUT I would use a straightening iron if I were going to keep it at that length. Not all the time cuz I love my curls best but just for fun sometimes. I would MAYBE get some long layers not sure. BUT even writing about it makes me shudder :shudder: It makes me remember what a pain that length was for me!!! :mad:

Maybe this is a good thread for discouraging those being tempted to cut!!! HA!

Patrycja
July 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM
I have cut my hair from almost waist to just past shoulder last year and I still used CWC and oils.I did use a blow dryer on my hair,especially my bangs.I had/have tons of layers.

FrannyG
July 21st, 2008, 07:54 AM
If I went back to shoulder length for good, I think I still wouldn't get a layered cut. My hair is so straight that it needs daily styling to look good with layers, and I am so over that!

I would keep on COing, because I just love how it makes my hair feel.

I would however, probably not be afraid to blow dry or use hot rollers from time to time.

Ooh, maybe I'd get a perm! Or maybe not. I just don't know.

wintersun99
July 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM

Madeleine
July 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I'd continue C/Oing. My scalp loves it just as much as my hair.

Um Enis
July 21st, 2008, 04:43 PM
I would continue to shampoo the way I do now (only the scalp)

But I would wear it down a lot more often!

SpiralingWaves
July 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
I would continue to co-wash (curly girl style), use shampoo bars, herbal vinegar rinses, SMT's and other homemade deep treatments. I would continue to use henna and I would still lightly oil, just not as often. I've not only learned how to care for long hair from this wonderful site, but I've learned to keep my hair healthy overall. This place is an amazing resource!! :)

kwaniesiam
July 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM
I have cut my hair, and am continuing with everything I learned at LHC while I grow it out again. If I didn't decide to keep long hair, I'd probably keep up with oiling, the products I use, and blowdrying only on cool if at all. Plus gentle detangling, etc. Also henna, I love the color I get from it. It's not just about long hair, healthy hair is beautiful at any length.

Missie
July 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
yes I think if I cut mine short I would have it cut in one length and grow it again.. also, I'd take on much of the advice I've gleaned on this forum and cherish the healthy hair by looking after it really well

Tap Dancer
July 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM
I did cut my hair last year and I still CO washed once in a while and deep conditioned.

SweetPea88
July 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
If I cut my hair short with no intentions of growing it long, I would probably continue using CV bars (wow, they would last even longer!) and coconut oil but I would blow dry my hair every now and then. Maybe even get a little dangerous and use a straightener! :p

Actually, this is what I think about when I want to cut. I think my hair will instantly look a million times better...but that's just because I would try to beat it into submission again!

ZaBasDa
July 21st, 2008, 06:50 PM
I would keep up with the CO and CWC washing. I would get lots of layers, so my curls would get maximum curling help. I would continue to henna and have more fun with bleach and funky colors, again.

Flying Betty
July 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'd go blonder in an instant. I want my hair lighter and I think that it looks much more flattering on me when it is, but long hair and bleach don't mix :(

ruirui
July 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
I cut my hair to neck length not too long ago, but I still treat it the same way I treated my hair when it was long. The only difference is that I can't put it up. ;)

crystal_89
July 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I'd continue combing and finger combing, no brushing, air drying, shampoo on scalp, conditioner on ends, using a satin pillowcase and trying various CO and natural products.

However, I'd probably be straightening my hair every day or two and experimenting with more colours.

SuzanneEli
July 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
When I cut mine, I continued shampooing only the hair by my scalp, and leaving my conditioner in the length of my shower. I found that my hair looked WAY dryer when short so it was actually even more important to do moisture treatments.

I continued to fingercomb, which was made much easier!

Really the only thing I changed was that i wore it down everyday, it was/is way too short to do anything with!

Delenn
July 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM
I would keep up with what I was doing, though I'm on the fence about the henna. If I ever get the urge for another drastic chop I might consider growing my natural color back and going back to the highlighted life. Though I would have to find a colorist I trust because I would still grow my hair back. =p

bex487
July 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'd go blonder in an instant. I want my hair lighter and I think that it looks much more flattering on me when it is, but long hair and bleach don't mix :(

This is something I forgot to mention. I hated the idea of highlighting longer hair, but with the shot cut I got I also got it highlighted. Part of it is cost, and part of it is knowing that the dyed bits will be cut off after not too long (maintenance trims).

Cinnia
July 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
If I cut to my hair to say a bob, and intended to keep it short, I would definitely flat iron it, as it would be all over the place if I didn't ;).
Would still do deep treatments and use my jojoba-oil, not so sure I would be a CO:er though, could probably not survive without cones with a short hairdo :rolleyes:...
I've just got to BSL so there's no plans to cut it off in the neir future though :p, I think my hair is thanking me, after all, it gets so much more attention when long...:)

lady G
July 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I have gone back to a graduated chin length bob and yep the flat irons are back hahaha, but obviously now that I am keeping it this way and will get regular maintenance cuts the little bit of flat ironing I do to tame the ends into place does not worry me now :)

Lixie
July 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
If I were to cut my hair short for keeps, I think I'd go nuts with chemical dye in mad colours, backcombing and straightening. I would probably continue to oil and maybe start CO washing (I'd need to, after all that backcombing ;)).

I'm pretty sure I'd want to go back to long hair in the end though and I'd have a heck of a lot of damage to grow out. :lol:

Newniepg
July 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I think I would probably take the plunge and dye it for the first time in my life. Something crazy, like pink or purple or jet black. I would probably straighten it all the time too.

I would probably keep up with oiling my hair though. :)

DotDotDot
July 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
I would continue heavy coconut oiling (but I've done that my whole life, no matter what my length was), CWCing, washing once a week (see heavy coconut oiling), permabunning (is shoulder length long enough? Well, if it is), self-trimming, plopping, scrunching, finger combing, mayoing, and SMTing.

Autumn
July 22nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
I cut my hair from classic to about BSL in April 2008 and the only real change I have made is buying new hair toys (since my old ones don't work so well anymore). I used to use hair sticks and a large jaw, but now I use three France Luxe Laurance Gallery Pinch Clips to put my hair up in a messy bunlike thing most days. However, I do plan to grow my hair back out, so I don't want to damage it.

Fillette
July 22nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
If I decided to cut my hair, I would definitely continue to CO because it really improves the texture of my hair and helps with the curls. I would also continue to oil the ends on a regular basis.