PDA

View Full Version : SMT questions

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM
after major build up, i finally clarified then did an SMT with mollasses instead of honey, my hair loved it but i had to blow dry because i wanted to go to sleep before 3 in the morning, my hair turned out completly straight and not what i wanted, i want to dry air drying after an SMT. Can i do an SMT again today after washing with clarifying shampoo? is there a chance of bad build up? i just think my hair needs the moisture the SMT gives it, it really is shiny but needs more elasticty. Also, would vo5 or Aussie 3 minute mircale be better? i used aussie last night

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Ok... From what I understand you clarified, then did an SMT, and now you want to clarify and do another SMT? Why would you clarify again? You don't have to.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Ok... From what I understand you clarified, then did an SMT, and now you want to clarify and do another SMT? Why would you clarify again? You don't have to.

can i just wash with normal shampoo then do the SMT? i would want to clarify again because i fear i still have build up or will get it (i lathered 4 times though last night...) i will not clarify if it is not necessay.

pepperminttea
February 16th, 2012, 01:16 PM
If you think your hair needs moisture, don't clarify it again until you need to. :)

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 01:19 PM
If you think your hair needs moisture, don't clarify it again until you need to. :)

Yes i will make sure to not clarify again...it was very drying...
i think that i had so much build up, no matter what i put on it, my hair was not getting moisturized, now the fun begins because my hair will absorb stuff now, the SMT really works well i think i will do it again

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I agree that you should not need to clarify again after 1 SMT. I would wait before doing another so soon however. If your hair still feels dry you could on damp hair use a tiny bit of baby oil.

Siiri
February 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I don't think it'll build up that easily, you can use it after normal shampooing. I SMT's often after just CO-washing, without any problems.

I haven't used vo5 or aussie, so I can't say which is better. Aussie has silicones I think, but it may not be a problem if you are using shampoo/clarifying regularly?

Tia2010
February 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Since you clarified and lathered it up 4 times, I would think the build up should be gone. I wouldn't clarify again just yet.

I would just do another SMT without even washing first. If you do want to wash I would use a gentle or diluted shampoo. Your hair has been through a lot, it may need a break :) . I would do another SMT pin it up and just let it be for a while. Don't hit it with to much all at once.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I agree that you should not need to clarify again after 1 SMT. I would wait before doing another so soon however. If your hair still feels dry you could on damp hair use a tiny bit of baby oil.

Aww, i was looking forward to mixing up another batch, i thought is was great and fun too! Lol but i will wait if it will be for the best. I can wash this new mousse i used and didn't like out though right? i know, washing every day, not good but will proably be what i do till i can find a routine that gives me hair i can live with (have lowered my standard from great hair to passably alright hair) lol

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Since you clarified and lathered it up 4 times, I would think the build up should be gone. I wouldn't clarify again just yet.

I would just do another SMT without even washing first. If you do want to wash I would use a gentle or diluted shampoo. Your hair has been through a lot, it may need a break :) . I would do another SMT pin it up and just let it be for a while. Don't hit it with to much all at once.

Great, conflicted, SMT or not...have heard both answers ont his thread..lol i think it sounds like a good idea to do another, i can always clarify if all else fails,

Siiri
February 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Well if you're going to shampoo your hair anyway to wash out the mousse, then I'd advice using just some regular conditioner or SMT afterwards. Diluting the shampoo and using a small amount of oil as a leave-in on damp hair, like others have suggested, are good ideas too, you may not need a deep treatment right now. I like to do them once a week.

Do you know what caused you the build up you previously had?

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Well if you're going to shampoo your hair anyway to wash out the mousse, then I'd advice using just some regular conditioner or SMT afterwards. Diluting the shampoo and using a small amount of oil as a leave-in on damp hair, like others have suggested, are good ideas too, you may not need a deep treatment right now. I like to do them once a week.

Do you know what caused you the build up you previously had?

Products on top of products and many many protein packs, conditioning packs, creams, basically everything you can think of hair product wise. My hair decided to become incedibly fickle and sensitive this summer (due to previous heat styling damage just nwo catching up) and i kept trying to remedy it wiht everything i could think of. I am now having problems balancing protein and moisture and my hair is protein sensitive and just all around hates me now, hence why i think i need to do another SMT, for moisture, i do not think the SMT will cause build up and honestly, it is safe to do this again then to allow my over doing prone self to stick my hand back into a cabinet full of other store bought treatments sure to not work and cause build up. I just need to feel like i am doing SOMETHING to at least help my hair, cause it sure isn't helping itself

Siiri
February 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Products on top of products and many many protein packs, conditioning packs, creams, basically everything you can think of hair product wise. My hair decided to become incedibly fickle and sensitive this summer (due to previous heat styling damage just nwo catching up) and i kept trying to remedy it wiht everything i could think of. I am now having problems balancing protein and moisture and my hair is protein sensitive and just all around hates me now, hence why i think i need to do another SMT, for moisture, i do not think the SMT will cause build up and honestly, it is safe to do this again then to allow my over doing prone self to stick my hand back into a cabinet full of other store bought treatments sure to not work and cause build up. I just need to feel like i am doing SOMETHING to at least help my hair, cause it sure isn't helping itself

That must be so frustrating :( You just need to find a simple routine with only few, good, products. It probably will take a while, but I'm sure you'll get there :)

Have you read the mineral oil(/baby oil thread by the way? It seems to help people suffering from dry ends to regain moisture. I use it too, although my hair is only slightly on the drier side. Other oils work too for many here, I've just had most luck with mineral oil.

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Great, conflicted, SMT or not...have heard both answers ont his thread..lol i think it sounds like a good idea to do another, i can always clarify if all else fails,

Overclarifying can lead to dryness. You know and have acknowledged that your biggest problem is using too much all at once. Part of the remedy is not doing so. You only create new problems by overdoing anything.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
That must be so frustrating :( You just need to find a simple routine with only few, good, products. It probably will take a while, but I'm sure you'll get there :)

Have you read the mineral oil(/baby oil thread by the way? It seems to help people suffering from dry ends to regain moisture. I use it too, although my hair is only slightly on the drier side. Other oils work too for many here, I've just had most luck with mineral oil.

I have tried the mineral oil, but it was only alright for me. Since it can't penatrate the hair, i would rather use a DT to put moisture back in my hair. I know mineral oil is good for dry ends, but my whole hair needs re moisturizing and redoing basically. I really liked the SMT and will do DT's until my hair is happier, then continue on to find a simplier routine. Verdict? i really don't know what i am doing and am so dissapointed i will proably try anything. I guess if it will be bettre than doing another SMT, i will try baby oil, but idk...what to do what to do?

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I have tried the mineral oil, but it was only alright for me. Since it can't penatrate the hair, i would rather use a DT to put moisture back in my hair. I know mineral oil is good for dry ends, but my whole hair needs re moisturizing and redoing basically. I really liked the SMT and will do DT's until my hair is happier, then continue on to find a simplier routine. Verdict? i really don't know what i am doing and am so dissapointed i will proably try anything. I guess if it will be bettre than doing another SMT, i will try baby oil, but idk...what to do what to do?

The SMT is not penetrating your hair any more than the mineral oil. It is made up of conditioner, aloe and honey or in your case molasses. None of them penetrate hair. The molasses or the honey and the aloe are humectants. The conditioner is just conditioner. They can help keep moisture in the hair and the humectants draw moisture from the air if it is there but none - none are penetrating the hair.

The mineral oil can and has for others done more. It did not work well on your hair before - because you had so much residue on it.

Siiri
February 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM

I didn't mean you can't do a SMT or any other DT, I meant to suggest you could try something, like mineral oil, as a leave-in after the DT on damp hair, that's why I mentioned mineral oil. Oil is not really supposed to penetrate anyways except maybe on clarified hair, it just coats your hair and prevents the moisture (water) from escaping too quickly.

If your hair is really dry, you may truly need more moisturizing DT's than normally. Why don't you just try a SMT? Sounds like you really like them, I can't see how it could hurt?

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I didn't mean you can't do a SMT or any other DT, I meant to suggest you could try something, like mineral oil, as a leave-in after the DT on damp hair, that's why I mentioned mineral oil. Oil is not really supposed to penetrate anyways except maybe on clarified hair, it just coats your hair and prevents the moisture (water) from escaping too quickly.

If your hair is really dry, you may truly need more moisturizing DT's than normally. Why don't you just try a SMT? Sounds like you really like them, I can't see how it could hurt?

I most likely will, i just feel kinda bad because Ktani said it would be overdoing it to do so (she knows much about the situation and has come to the conclusion over doing is my main problem) and i don't want anyone saying look you didn;t listen to me so i can't help you...i don't want people mad at me...it sounds petty i know, but i am just trying to be sure i am doing this right. My hair is really dry and i do not honestly think another SMT will hurt, although this will be my last DT for a while so i will not completly overdo, i just think my hair needs it. I will try the baby oil again to seal in the SMT, there, best of both worlds...please no one be upset, i am just trying to come to a happy medium here

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 02:54 PM
The SMT is not penetrating your hair any more than the mineral oil. It is made up of conditioner, aloe and honey or in your case molasses. None of them penetrate hair. The molasses or the honey and the aloe are humectants. The conditioner is just conditioner. They can help keep moisture in the hair and the humectants draw moisture from the air if it is there but none - none are penetrating the hair.

The mineral oil can and has for others done more. It did not work well on your hair before - because you had so much residue on it.

This makes sense, and i agree that i did not give mineral oil enough of a chance because of all the residue. despite all the myths being proved false about it, it just seems strange to put baby oil on hair, then again, so does putting mollasses and aloe...lol i have such a long way to go...

Siiri
February 16th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I most likely will, i just feel kinda bad because Ktani said it would be overdoing it to do so (she knows much about the situation and has come to the conclusion over doing is my main problem) and i don't want anyone saying look you didn;t listen to me so i can't help you...i don't want people mad at me...it sounds petty i know, but i am just trying to be sure i am doing this right. My hair is really dry and i do not honestly think another SMT will hurt, although this will be my last DT for a while so i will not completly overdo, i just think my hair needs it. I will try the baby oil again to seal in the SMT, there, best of both worlds...please no one be upset, i am just trying to come to a happy medium here

Honestly, no one is going to be mad at you for this. If doing another SMT ends up to be a mistake, it's not the end of the world. It's just a hair treatment, it should be fun, not a thing to worry about :)

If you have problems with easily overdoing things, maybe try doing a schedule for DT's, clarifying and the like? If you start using them every time your hair feels a little weird, I can see you may start overdoing them. For example I CO-wash every other day, use a SMT every saturday and clarify once every third week. I stick by it, and it works. Naturally I get build up, that's the whole point of using anything on hair, but it's the right amount for my hair.

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM
An SMT is a great recipe. The humectants though cannot draw moisture to your hair, if the air where you are is dry. The conditoiner prevents the humcetants from drawing moisture from your hair instead.

However, given the time of year and how dry the air is in most places, mineral oil can do more for helping your hair retain moisture, if used on damp hair.

If you do another SMT now, on top of the other, you will just be adding more conditioner on top of conditioner, aloe and molasses or honey that are not doing much more that creating more build-up, unless where you are the air is humid.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Honestly, no one is going to be mad at you for this. If doing another SMT ends up to be a mistake, it's not the end of the world. It's just a hair treatment, it should be fun, not a thing to worry about :)

If you have problems with easily overdoing things, maybe try doing a schedule for DT's, clarifying and the like? If you start using them every time your hair feels a little weird, I can see you may start overdoing them. For example I CO-wash every other day, use a SMT every saturday and clarify once every third week. I stick by it, and it works. Naturally I get build up, that's the whole point of using anything on hair, but it's the right amount for my hair.

I should do that, really a schedule is a great idea..now sticking to it may be harder! I will do this SMT then schedule them for once a week and i think i need to clarify monthly, maybe more not too sure yet. I just wish my hair would go back to its normal curly self, this is getting ridiculous and the worst part is it is all my fault. My goals now are to not over do and to find a routine that WORKS, i shall not settle for less, no matter how much i want to give up...so, SMT, air dry...i will see, hopefully i can make myself NOT grab something new if all this fails, which in all reality it is likely to...oh new goal, also i will try to turn over a new leaf and be more positive!:)

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
An SMT is a great recipe. The humectants though cannot draw moisture to your hair, if the air where you are is dry. The conditoiner prevents the humcetants from drawing moisture from your hair instead.

However, given the time of year and how dry the air is in most places, mineral oil can do more for helping your hair retain moisture, if used on damp hair.

If you do another SMT now, on top of the other, you will just be adding more conditioner on top of conditioner, aloe and molasses or honey that are not doing much more that creating more build-up, unless where you are the air is humid.

it is humid here, not to worry. It is humid and 80 dry air is not a problem. My hI was aware of what humectants do in dry enviorments, then looked up the weather to be sure it is not a problem, thank you for the tip though, reminds me to be sure the air is right for an SMT in the future, although it rarly gets dry here, our dry is mosts' humid lol. i think i will try the vo5 instead of the Aussie 3 minute miracle because the Aussie has much cones in it and i think they may cause build up and weigh down what little curl i have left. Do you think the mineral oil would be good even if the humidity is over 50%?

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM
it is humid here, not to worry. It is humid and 80 dry air is not a problem. My hI was aware of what humectants do in dry enviorments, then looked up the weather to be sure it is not a problem, thank you for the tip though, reminds me to be sure the air is right for an SMT in the future, although it rarly gets dry here, our dry is mosts' humid lol. i think i will try the vo5 instead of the Aussie 3 minute miracle because the Aussie has much cones in it and i think they may cause build up and weigh down what little curl i have left. Do you think the mineral oil would be good even if the humidity is over 50%?

The mineral oil slows moisture loss from hair (damp or dry) and slows but still allows moisture from the air to access hair. The combination of that helps keep moisture in the hair and helps prevent frizz at the same time. It is also antistatic.

ETA: Unlike conditioner, whether it is in a recipe or not, or aloe, which does cause build-up too, if you use little enough mineral oil, it can be completely washed out by shampoo and not build-up.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
The mineral oil slows moisture loss from hair (damp or dry) and slows but still allows moisture from the air to access hair. The combination of that helps keep moisture in the hair and helps prevent frizz at the same time. It is also antistatic.

ETA: Unlike conditioner, whether it is in a recipe or not, or aloe, which does cause build-up too, if you use little enough mineral oil, it can be completely washed out by shampoo and not build-up.

I do like the fact that mineral oil washes right out, makes me feel better about trying it. I will give the mineral oil another try, but i just thought it made my hair too soft and actually gave me static, which i had never had. It did not help with curls but then again, like you said my hair was coated when i first tried this. Mineral oil has done so much good for so many, i really hope it works for me.

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I do like the fact that mineral oil washes right out, makes me feel better about trying it. I will give the mineral oil another try, but i just thought it made my hair too soft and actually gave me static, which i had never had. It did not help with curls but then again, like you said my hair was coated when i first tried this. Mineral oil has done so much good for so many, i really hope it works for me.

That will depend on what you do and use next and how much mineral oil you use.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM
That will depend on what you do and use next and how much mineral oil you use.

Okay, i wil wash with Aussie volume, do the SMT only leave it on for an hr, rinse. Put 2 drops Mineral oil, air dry a bit, use mousse if needed. Actually, i am starting to think the mineral oil should be used by itself. So do the wash and smt and air dry with new mousse then another day like the next wash or so, only use mineral oil by itself and see if i like the results. I plan on giving mineral oil another try but i want to do it right.

ktani
February 16th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Okay, i wil wash with Aussie volume, do the SMT only leave it on for an hr, rinse. Put 2 drops Mineral oil, air dry a bit, use mousse if needed. Actually, i am starting to think the mineral oil should be used by itself. So do the wash and smt and air dry with new mousse then another day like the next wash or so, only use mineral oil by itself and see if i like the results. I plan on giving mineral oil another try but i want to do it right.

Then wash with the Aussie, condition lightly as in not too much conditioner, no SMT, and then try the mineral oil.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Then wash with the Aussie, condition lightly as in not too much conditioner, no SMT, and then try the mineral oil.

I will do this next wash, i promise, i will do what i planned already because the SMT is already made....i saw this after i made it...plus i kinda wanna try it tongiht, but will do the routine above next wash, thank you so much :)

ktani
February 17th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I will do this next wash, i promise, i will do what i planned already because the SMT is already made....i saw this after i made it...plus i kinda wanna try it tongiht, but will do the routine above next wash, thank you so much :)

As long as you wash first, I think it should be fine. I thought you were just planning on using another SMT without washing. Shampooing removes some but not all conditioner each time you wash.

Hollyfire3
February 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Alright, i ended up doing the second SMT, wonderful silky shiny beautiful hair! But now, as i realized i had planned to do cassia today, it has been a month and then some after my first treatment, since my hair is clarifyed and moisturized now, should i go ahead and do the treatment? I mgiht even add some mollasses and or coffee to darken so i don't even have to get my hair re dyed darker this weeked (from the messed up dye job i got recently)

Hollyfire3
February 17th, 2012, 06:40 PM
As long as you wash first, I think it should be fine. I thought you were just planning on using another SMT without washing. Shampooing removes some but not all conditioner each time you wash.

Oh no, i would not do any treatment without washing first, i put so much mousse in my hair sometimes and do not think any DT would do any good without first washing the stuff out.