PDA

View Full Version : Brushing=shine?

Tap Dancer
July 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
My hair has always had a lot of shine but last night it looked dull to me. I combed it and it still looked dull. It looked the same this morning so I brushed it and the shine came back. Is that weird? :confused:

winter_star
July 19th, 2008, 04:03 AM
No I don't think it's weird. Sometimes after sleeping with my hair out or after a windy day my hair looks a bit dull but as soon as I brush it the shine always comes straight back.

Have you been doing anything different with your hair lately? Using any different products?

Tap Dancer
July 19th, 2008, 04:07 AM
No, and I know my hair isn't dry. I'm still deep conditioning once a week and CO 1-2 times a week on my days off. Oh, well; at least the shine came back. LOL :sun:

Rapunzelwannabe
July 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
mine does that too, I know that if it ever looks dull all I have to do is run a brush through my hair and the shine comes right out

morgwn
July 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I've noticed other straight-haired people say that brushing brings out shine (particularly with a BBB). My best guess would be that this distributes the hair's natural oils and this is why the shine comes out. Us curlies can't usually do this brushing, as it brings out the frizz rather than the shine. :D

helpmegro
July 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
My hair is straight to wavy in back and curly in front and I'm not really supposed to brush, but sometimes I still like to do it because it distributes the oils down to my (usually dry) ends and makes everything silky and smooth. My hair does brush pretty straight, there is a poof factor in front but the back and undersides look so nice when I do it. I wish my hair didn't have so many wildly different textures; be easier to care for it.

Riot Crrl
July 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I can't brush either (for the reason why see the Curlies Brush Your Hair thread) but I had been under the impression this was the main purpose of using something like a BBB. Even a lot of those who like it seem to say it doesn't detangle or anything.

Golden21
July 20th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I've noticed other straight-haired people say that brushing brings out shine (particularly with a BBB). My best guess would be that this distributes the hair's natural oils and this is why the shine comes out. Us curlies can't usually do this brushing, as it brings out the frizz rather than the shine. :D

I would agree with this. Very interesting though, I never really thought about it before, but my hair does look shinier after I brush it.

mellie
July 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Yes, I would agree, although then I lose a little of my natural wave...

Cheery
July 20th, 2008, 05:30 PM
My straight hair tends to be stringy but if I brush it it gets all smooth and shiny. Unfortunately, it's not long before it's all stringy again.

Marcipangris
July 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I have fairly straight hair, and brushing with a BBB makes it shiny and fluffy.

Nevermore
July 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, I would agree, although then I lose a little of my natural wave...

I find that brushing does that, but a finger combing toward the ends brings the wurly bits back to being wurly. Either that, or just leaving them alone for a little bit.

Kiraela
July 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
I don't use a BBB much, but I have a quite nice regular hairbrush that does indeed bring out the shine, and keep my hair looking nice. Combs keep more wave, but my hair in general looks ... bleh.

Indigo Girl
July 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I don't think it's wierd; I have my "non-shine" days too.

I've never thought to attribute it to brushing - but you're right, at least the shine came back!

sexyjacksparrow
July 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM
Yes, I think my hair looks shinier after brushing too. However I only tend to brush before bed as being a curly-hair I just end up with big bushy hair!

kerry xx

NurseMama
July 23rd, 2008, 07:30 AM

Seconded...

GM used to advocate brushing 100 strokes with a BBB to distribute the oil and sebum along the length.

As a wurly brushing doesn't do anything for me. Instead a little coconut oil will bring my shine out.