PDA

View Full Version : Having A Major Dither

BritishBraider
February 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hello all you lovely people!

I have seen such good advice given on here that now I am having my own mini-crisis I feel I can look here for help.

I am bored, sick and tired of my hair, I think. It is a big thing to look after, I shed like a persian cat and I feel I can't go out without it being up or styled due to several instances with trains, buttons and zips on other peoples coats. It appears to no longer have the wow factor.

Yet I cannot imagine life without long hair. I know this is silly - far better people are lacking in the length department and have no such woes - but is there a way to change it ever so slightly instead? Get the wow factor back? Or should I go for the chop?

Heres me: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6886967611_232890df93.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74745715@N05/6886967611/)
IMG_0454 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74745715@N05/6886967611/) by BritishBraider (http://www.flickr.com/people/74745715@N05/), on Flickr http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7209/6886967119_d91f0af900.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74745715@N05/6886967119/)
IMG_0458 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74745715@N05/6886967119/) by BritishBraider (http://www.flickr.com/people/74745715@N05/), on Flickr

I am about an inch or two away from tailbone, after being at waist for about four years.... What do you guys think?

BB

spidermom
February 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe some face-framing layers or bangs or long layers - something different but not too drastically different. Or learn a new style or two. Braid some colorful ribbons or a scarf into your hair.

I've been kind of bored and longing for some face-faming fringe myself, but not 100% sure yet.

Chromis
February 16th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'd try learning new styles and/or springing for a new hairtoy or two. Change it up a little that way. You might try joining in on one of the threads for wearing a new style every day for a week or a month.

newbeginning
February 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Your hair is amazing and is the most beautiful colour. What about trying different updos/styles? I totally understand about your long hair being part of your identity. I think the suggestion of a few layers is a good idea too.

Amber_Maiden
February 16th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Your hair is beautiful! Love the colour!
How about layers? I find they livened my hair up a bit! :)

heidi w.
February 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
You could try different kinds of hair parts such as a simple side part.

I wouldn't amend the length. You have lovely hair. People in your life might do well to speak up with a compliment or two once in a while.

Learn a new updo, get a new hair decoration.

I would not recommend layers. It will totally undo the length, and growing it back would be a pain. Only do layers if you're really convinced it's for you. If you like your length overall, though, I would not enter the world of layering.

heidi w.

Darkhorse1
February 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I guess the question for you is what do you want? Is your hair a source of work or fun? What is your lifestyle like? Do you want a quick and easy style or do you want to spend more time with your hair. Any hair dresser would ask you this.

I would suggest many things: 1) ask yourself what you'd like--maybe take some hair ties and shorten the length and see how you'd feel with shorter hair, layers/bangs. Perhaps change your part or find styles that are simple to do when you are out in public and then you will find yourself happier.

We all go through these phases of wanting a change--I tend to change my bangs alot, so maybe start with that?

Starry_Eyed
February 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM
If your hair is truly only i/ii, I would *not* recommend getting layers! Thicker, long hair can look beautiful with them, but if your hair is on the thin side it can make long hair look even more thin and make your ends look stringy. I would do some serious contemplating about layers before I actually did it if I were you. However, my hair is F, so perhaps having M hair makes all the difference?

The suggestions about different hairstyles and accessories are good ideas. Maybe some fun clip in hair extensions in fun colors could spice up your hair on days when you want more excitement?

BTW, your hair is very pretty. :)

P.S. One more thing, I noticed that you're 21 . . . if the "wow" factor you're talking about is having people comment on your hair, I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that your hair has lost that effect. People can be very generous with their compliments for children and youth, but I've noticed that people are far more reserved in complimenting other adults. It doesn't mean that they don't think your hair is beautiful, they're just not mentioning it to you.

Chromis
February 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I know people love to recommend layers, but I would be wary of this if you like to keep your hair up. They are much harder to work with! Also, this will make your ends much thinner.

Cutting won't keep it from being caught in things remember. I still recall getting my hair caught in all sorts of horrid ways even at BSL. I think a good updo can have even more wow factor than loose hair sometimes.

Different partings as Heidi recommends or different braiding has a dramatic difference against the face. So can doing a high updo versus nape.

sweetestpoison
February 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
i was going through pretty much the exact same thing a week or two ago. My friend kinda pushed me towards not cutting it because when i had short hair i'd complain constantly about missing my long hair. I kind of got over it by deciding to buy some new toys :)

elbow chic
February 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Did you like it better at waist? I might go for taking a couple inches off first, if I were you, instead of going straight to The Chop. It IS pretty hair!

sweetestpoison
February 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Did you like it better at waist? I might go for taking a couple inches off first, if I were you, instead of going straight to The Chop. It IS pretty hair!

Very true advice ^ It will always grow back, but cutting just a little more off takes a few seconds, but it can take months and sometimes years to get back to where you were.

Also, you said you're an inch or two away from tailbone? In which direction is the away? Because to me it looks like you are slightly past tailbone and on your way to classic

heidi w.
February 16th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Trust me, your hair has WOW. More than WOW factor. It's plain WOW! You're not far from the beginning of what counts as unusually long. That's another territory all together.

If I wear my hair down, within ten minutes I have tangles. I NEVER wear my hair down except at night while I'm sleeping and first thing in the morning.

I've gone through periods of being super interested in my hair and all things hair and times, such as now, where it sort of doesn't really matter anymore. I used to style my hair in an updo every day, and decorate it and whatnot and now I hardly ever do that. I tend to wear nearly the same updo every day.

I am about to be 52 and I've lost a bit of volume, or so it feels like that. But it's still long and still pretty. I know what I've got even if no one ever says a word.

heidi w.

deltadeliquent
February 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry, Heidi, but you cannot possibly be 52!
wow!You are and your hair are beautiful.

Snippety
February 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I too think it is beautiful !

I was having similar miseries when I joined here. I knew I didn't want a half way measure as I'd already cut back from beyond classic to waist which had just made me more miserable. After lots of good advice here and from my husband I decided it was general ennui with my appearance and how I was presenting myself, and I've begun to experiment with different clothes and accessories, and also trying to be more confident and less self-conscious. Would something like thatbhelp before you decide to cut ?

planetqueenie
February 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I love your hair, it's wowing me:D The length, I think, is perfect. Do what makes you truly happy. It's not like your hair looks bad and a cut would do you good, so why cut it? Think of how long it will take to grow back too. May I suggest curls? Get some sponge rollers, mist your hair with water at night, and then roll it up. In the morning take them out and put a beautifull hair accessorie in like a headband or a flower clip, whatever your style is. If your looking for compliments I bet you will get one!

heidi w.
February 16th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I'm sorry, Heidi, but you cannot possibly be 52!
wow!You are and your hair are beautiful.

The picture in my signature photo is around 3-4 years old now. In April I will be 52, right near tax time! LOL

Thank you for your compliment. That's very nice of you. (I actually now weigh less than the signature photo by around 20 pounds.)

heidi w.

Madora
February 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
BritishBraider...What IS the Wow Factor to you?

Your hair is beautiful and if it were mine I wouldn't cut. But I sense that you might be becoming tired of caring for it, having to keep it up and such.

If you want to keep it (and I hope you do) then cutting layers, as many have said, is not a good thing. Much harder to create updos when you're fighting stray strands from layers.

I'd heartily recommend learning more styles..or learning how to section your hair to try other updos.

And I heartily agree with everything Heidi W has posted.

StellaKatherine
February 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM
I had same feeling when 3 years ago i decided to cut my hair shorter. I had my hair at almoust classical length. I felt that i couldn't do anything with it, couldn't keep it open , was tired to keep it up, just wanted something new. So i went and cut it first to my waist and then just under my shoulders. And god i regret that last cut on the same day when i couldn't make a good braid at all.

So i would recommend for you to think of some other ways to make your hair more interesting. Your hair is incredible beautiful! If you feel there was more wow factor when it was waist lenght, maybe do that.

pepperminttea
February 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
For what it's worth BritishBraider, I think your hair is beautiful, there's definitely wow factor there. I wouldn't recommend layers, since they'd pop out of your lovely braided styles constantly, unless you're planning to wear your hair down a lot more. Could you learn some new styles and/or invest in a new hairtoy or two? :)

FrozenBritannia
February 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Go for the hair toys! Get clip in funky colours for nights out, try updos with scarves and beads and shoelaces or whatever gives it the look that you think is wow worthy! I agree with the poster who said the complements tend to die off after the age of 20 or so, so whatever you do, do it for you and not anyone else. Go crazy! Star wars buns with feathers sticking out of them, or mini braids in a pontail, experiment!

elbow chic
February 16th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that's true... I usually compliment young people more than older ones. I guess because I feel like if I compliment a peer, she will then feel obliged to compliment me back, and I just don't wanna get into that, you know. Whereas a young person can accept it as a sort of gift and not feel obliged to "pay me back" somehow.

Weird, never thought about it before.

jacqueline101
February 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'd add bangs and face framing layers.

Darkessa
February 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Im with the others!
Bangs/Fringe with a side part will change the look drastically. You can also spring for layers to help feel lighter and new.
Dont simply chop the length without trying other things first, you will probably regret it.

I would personally start with layers, if that wasnt enough I would go for a side part, then try for bangs if it still wasnt enough.
And if for some reason it still felt old and stale I would probably try a semi or demi permanent dye, THEN go for a chop if I still felt bored.

Let us know what you end up doing!!! And gives us piccies! :D

BritishBraider
February 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Wow guys, thank you all so much! I'm feeling very *very* loved at the moment, thank you!

I guess the question for you is what do you want? Is your hair a source of work or fun? What is your lifestyle like? Do you want a quick and easy style or do you want to spend more time with your hair. Any hair dresser would ask you this.

I'm currently a film student, so that is a lot of sitting watching things, and occasionally traveling to film festivals. I know I shouldn't need other people's appreciation to feel gratified about my appearance, it may just be the new term and all the new work....?

I think I will maybe try a fringe? I really enjoy braiding and the smooth sleek look it can produce, so layers would really annoy me.

...Also, you said you're an inch or two away from tailbone? In which direction is the away? Because to me it looks like you are slightly past tailbone and on your way to classic

I may have got it wrong, tailbone is higher up isn't it? Whoops!

I love your hair, it's wowing me:D The length, I think, is perfect. Do what makes you truly happy. It's not like your hair looks bad and a cut would do you good, so why cut it? Think of how long it will take to grow back too. May I suggest curls? Get some sponge rollers, mist your hair with water at night, and then roll it up. In the morning take them out and put a beautifull hair accessorie in like a headband or a flower clip, whatever your style is. If your looking for compliments I bet you will get one!

I will have a go at some curls, thank you for the idea!

Again, thank you all for the wonderful replies! :)

turtlelover
February 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Why don't you cut to waist and add some face framing layers? If it is getting to be too much work and not a lot of fun, in my opinion, it is time to cut. You should ENJOY your hair....if you don't, something is wrong.