PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's roots always feel worse than the ends?

Riot Crrl
July 19th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I've had this as long as I can remember, no matter the routine. I used to use shampoo on the roots and conditioner on the ends, so I figured it was because of that. But I've been CO for like seven months now, and it's still the case.

I'm additionally baffled by it since I quit peroxide and have about four inches of regrowth since the last peroxide. Yet the roots still feel grosser and rougher than the length.

What is going on? Does my hair just need a year or so of being outside my head before it soaks up enough conditioner to be decent?

Dianyla
July 19th, 2008, 04:35 AM
In certain areas of my scalp my roots are quite coarse and rough. In my case, I've been experiencing some weird follicle changes and I have a whole bunch of hairs that have changed from normal texture to a weird coarse/kinky pubelike texture. If I look at one of these hairs, it's just the first few inches that feel and look this way. But, I'm working on some other hormonal balance issues that I think caused this, so it may not apply to you. :twocents:

Strands of hair do get weathered and worn. Perhaps your freshly grown hair is more on the coarse side, and then weathers to a finer softer texture?

Isilme
July 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM
since I started taking care of my hair the strands have become coarser and darker and almost wiery. Or could you just have buildup?

Curlsgirl
July 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
No mine is definitely the opposite. I agree it could be buildup or just your normal hair texture. Does mean it's damaged really. That is strange though. Could it be silvers coming in? They tend to be more wiry and coarse for some people. I don't know how old you are so maybe not.

Riot Crrl
July 19th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I don't think it's buildup since it's always like that no matter what I do. Clarify? Same thing. Peroxide hair? Same thing.

The strange thing is it's been like that for years, which means that it's always growing out of my head weird and then improving after it has been in the world for some amount of time. Or something.

I'm 37 but I've been going grey since I was 23. Surely the majority of greys are as long as all of my hair. Maybe it is the greys that need a year or so of conditioning before they start to behave.