PDA

View Full Version : Coarse straight poofy hair (male)

scata999
February 15th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Hello. I'm a guy who has tried to grow my hair out a few times in the past but give up each time because the poofiness becomes unbearable. My hair is very thick, poker straight, and strong. As it grows it grows straight out in every direction, which is why I've kept my hair extremely short and gelled down for a long time. I'm sick of it though. I'm hoping that if I stick with it, my hair will eventually lay flat. Isn't it inevitable that gravity will eventually pull it down since its flat?

ETA: *meant to say straight instead of flat

CurlyCap
February 15th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Hello. I'm a guy who has tried to grow my hair out a few times in the past but give up each time because the poofiness becomes unbearable. My hair is very thick, poker straight, and strong. As it grows it grows straight out in every direction, which is why I've kept my hair extremely short and gelled down for a long time. I'm sick of it though. I'm hoping that if I stick with it, my hair will eventually lay flat. Isn't it inevitable that gravity will eventually pull it down since its flat?

My cousin is asian and has hair like this. Since the strands are so thick, they grow straight out from his head like sonic the hedgehog. He gets it from his mom.

If this sounds like you, yes, it will lie down, but it needs to be long enough that gravity is forced to take an effect. Just focus on keeping your hair healthy until it gets that long. You don't want long damaged hair and have to start all over!

The good news is, once it's long, it'll be GORGEOUS. My cousin and his mom have this thick, indestructible beautiful hair that can be braided into the most gigantic ponytails. It's very :thud:

scata999
February 16th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Well I always gave up at about 3 inches. At that length it wasn't sticking straight up but not laying flat either, in between so very poofy. I wonder how many inches my hair would have to be to lay flat.

here are two pictures of what I'm talking about

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/2356/p1000849edit.jpg
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6834/p1000857edit.jpg

patienceneeded
February 16th, 2012, 09:11 AM
My DH has hair like that. He keeps his hair short because he can't stand the poofy-bush that is starts to look like when long. With that said, if you can hold strong through the awkward stage, I think it would look great when long enough for gravity to take effect more. It's going to take several inches before you start to see your hair doing what you want it to, but it will eventually have to lay down instead of stick straight out.

My cousin is asian and has hair like this. Since the strands are so thick, they grow straight out from his head like sonic the hedgehog.

My BIL is Korean (adopted) and his hair is exactly like this!

spidermom
February 16th, 2012, 09:14 AM
You might want to make friends with hats for the most awkward part of the grow-out, also bandanas tied pirate-style.

My hair gets wider before it gets long, too, but because of curl/wave. I made the mistake of using heat to control it and had a lot of damage to cut out later. Oh well; I did what I thought I had to do, and that part is over forever.

Good luck!

newbeginning
February 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure this will work for you as my hair is coarse and wavy and yours is straight but I find that CWC (condition/wash/condition) and coconut oil help keep my hair smooth and silky and weighs it down a bit so it's not poufy. Good luck.

littleizz
February 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM
My hubby had the SAME problem. Exactly. Always complaining about the poof. He would reach lengths that it wouldn't be poofy any more, but they were pretty long.

Your natural hair texture may very well be attributing to the poof, but I would ABSOLUTELY, as in like, right now, do some research on how you might try washing your hair without shampoo. Hubs stopped using shampoo and started washing by just massaging in conditioner right around when I did just because we didn't have any 'poo in the shower. He was amazed at how much nicer his hair sat at short and in-between lengths, it did wonders for him! Hope this helps :)

heidi w.
February 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I have cause to believe that if you let it grow longer it will eventually lay down. But that's going to be a while. First it'll stick straight out, then it will be a poofy mess, then it'll lay down. You've got a ways to go. And you have to go to work and be in public meanwhile. Aloe Vera Gel may help you somewhat. Hats may mitigate it some, but at work, one usually can't wear a hat all day. A scarf may be helpful somewhat too. Kind of tie it behind your head.

Part of the reason it's sticking straight out now is because you're keeping it so short.

I met a guy a numer of years back who had hair that stuck straight out, and now he has nearly knee length hair that is beautiful, thick and voluminous. You just have to be willing to wade through awkward to an extent.

Conditioner Only might help a bit. You just have to trial and error experiment a little bit.

heidi w.

scata999
March 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Just adding an update to this thread. My hair is about two inches long now on top. The good thing is that its starting to bend over. Its still extremely poofy, but at least its not sticking straight up anymore. I'm thinking my hair will have to be at least 5-6 inches everywhere before it stops poofing. Ive been wearing hats and beanies. I found an old picture of when I grew my hair out when I was 15, and its actually laying flat. I dyed it red. Its gonna take a long time to reach this length or longer.
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1706/img1101edit.jpg