PDA

View Full Version : Baking soda (or anything else) to neutralize odor?

akurah
February 15th, 2012, 09:47 PM
So, I did a baking soda rinse (followed by an ACV rinse) to try and remove the sulfur odor from my hair. The odor is caused by using ColorFix/ColorOops. I think it helped a little bit, but not to the level I was hoping it would, and I actually need the odor out as quickly as reasonable because of.. well, stuff. Ahem.

So, anyone have advice? I was thinking of applying baking soda similar to a dry shampoo, but a bit more generously, letting it hang out in my hair, hope and pray it absorbs odor, then rinse it out, wash, ACV rinse, condition. The other thing I was considering was making a *paste* out of the baking soda, applying it exceedingly liberally to the hair, letting it sit for like, 5 minutes, thoroughly shampooing it out, ACV rinse, and conditioning.

I basically have till Sunday morning to kill the odor. It's not the end of the world if I don't, but I'd be significantly happier if I did. And it doesn't have to be just baking soda--I am literally open to anything that might knock the odor out.

Help?

jesis
February 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Any essential oil or maybe even cinnamon. I used cinnamon in my hair on Saturday and my hair still smells like it.

kjirstiben
February 15th, 2012, 10:12 PM
In my own experience with Color Oops, if you let your hair dry, it will hardly smell at all. It's only when the hair gets wet that you re-experience the sulfur smell. Additionally, every wash after the Oopsing will take away a little bit of the smell...

(I would recommend against using an essential oil to cover it up; I tried to do that and ended up with spicy sulfurous smelling hair. Not exactly appetizing...)

RocketDog
February 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM
As a 'veteran' of three Oopsings, I can tell you the only thing that's worked in the short term is a relatively heavily scented conditioner. I use One N Only Argan Oil conditioner, because it is 'cone free and the smell is so strong that it covers up the sulfur stink. I've done this every time, and I can only barely barely smell the sulfur after I rinse out the conditioner. I'm sure any strongly scented conditioner would work, especially if you leave it on for a good few hours before rinsing. It helps with the post-Oops dryness too.