PDA

View Full Version : Do Semi Permanent Colors Block Out Conditioner?

daffodil7
February 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I have some grays that I want to cover, and I was wondering if semi permanent colors like the Clairol Beautiful Collection or Jazzing will block out my weekly protein and deep moisture treatments? I just want to be extra sure before using them.

I have read that semi permanent colors like these are not damaging because they coat the hair shaft instead of alter it, but does this coating block out other treatments? Since I am relaxed, I know it is important to have protein and moisture every week, so I don't want to block these treatments out.

Maverick494
February 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM
For as far as I know only mineral oil completely blocks out other treatments. Semi coats the hair shaft, but treatments can still penetrate it. I have used semi permanent hair dye for years and I never had any problems.

Darkhorse1
February 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Demi permanent color is a larger molecule so the upload of color to the hair shaft is less than a permanent color, where the molecules are tiny. Also, the lifter doesn't open up the shaft as much. So, what that means is the color gently fades rather than having to grow it out, seeing visible roots and as far as I know, I never noticed a problem with conditioners.

Just a note--demi permanents aren't the best with covering gray--so, if you have only a few, you're fine, but my hair dresser said if you are over 50% gray, a permanent color is a better choice.

I've been using demi-permanent color for 12 years and love the results. Covers the gray and is nice to my hair and scalp. :)