PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing with distilled water: how?

Slug Yoga
July 19th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I live in a place with pretty hard water, and my hair is feeling funky (though this may be unrelated), and I've read of people rinsing with distilled water.

But how, exactly? That is, I could easily buy a gallon jug (or several) of distilled water. I'm just worried that pouring it all over my head wouldn't be enough to rinse shampoo and conditioner thoroughly out of my hair! I feel like it would run out before I felt satisfied that my hair was thoroughly rinsed.

So those of you who rinse with distilled water, how do you do it? How much do you use, how do you dispense it over your head, etc., and do you feel that things get thoroughly rinsed?

silkenblacksea
July 19th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have been wondering the same thing ,as I also have hard water. I'm sorry I don't have answers though. Maybe someone will come along soon who knows.:)

Iylivarae
July 19th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I think I'd first rinse out with normal water, and then I'd rinse with the distilled water. I think rinsing out the whole stuff with distilled water could be quite expensive (I don't know exactly how much it costs)... at least for me. Or, if you do vinegar rinses, I'd do that first (vinegar + distilled water) and then rinse out with distilled water, so the vinegar smell doesn't stay in the hair.

LaCitoyenne
July 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM
This might sound strange to some people. I fill a plastic storage container with purified water. The container is rectangular, and big and deep enough for me to fit my head in and swish my hair around in. I re-use the water and replace it after several days. I sometimes add a rinsing agent (e.g. chamomile) to the water.

morgwn
July 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM
When I've lived in areas where I needed an extra rinse I always just rinsed out the shampoo & conditioner with regular water and then made the final rinse with the distilled water. I just poured a small bottle of water over my head with my head turned upside down, making sure all of my hair got covered. And I just refilled that bottle from a big jug before every shower. HTH. :flower:

harpgal
July 20th, 2008, 05:04 PM
This is how I do it:

1. Fill a plastic container with 3 cups of distilled water and place it on the floor outside of your shower stall.
2. Wash your hair as you normally would.
3. Rinse with normal shower water.
4. Squeeze as much water out of your hair as you can.
5. Reach outside your shower and grab that bowl of distilled water.
6. After placing part of your hair on each side of your head, dunk each section several times.
7. Finally, pour the rest of the distilled water over the top of your head making sure it has soaked your entire head.

I have very hard water and this method has really helped rinse most of the hard stuff off. At times I will also add 1 Tablespoon of ACV to that bowl of distilled water.