PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Detangling

Glorylocks
February 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
So as the the title suggests I need some tips on detangling that will help to not damage my hair. (I hope that made sense!) Today I had a funeral that I needed to attend and I love to curl my hair and then pin it up! Had I known I was going to be going to a funeral beforehand I would have put my hair up in rollers but I didn't know and so I had to use a curling iron!:( I was not happy. My hair doesn't like to hold curl to begin with so I had to use a lot of hairspray. Tonight I spent about 20 minutes trying to get the tangles out of my hair. (This is a VERY long time for me! It normally takes me 2 or 3 minutes.) Some of my hair actually got ripped! So I need suggestions for detangling my hair! Does anyone know any tips or secrets that I could do before or after I curl my hair? I don't want this to EVER happen again!! Thanks so very much!:)

Kyla
February 15th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Well, hairspray is pretty bad as far as hair products go anyway, as it's fairly damaging too. But when you're in a situation where you feel you must use hairspray, it is better to try to wash it out before you detangle, in my opinion.

Combing out any tangles before also helps.

Madora
February 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Use a wide tooth comb for detangling purposes.

How to detangle:

Bring all your hair in front of you, like a curtain
Gently fingercomb your hair from top to bottom

Take a thin, SMALL, section of hair and starting from the bottom, gently comb out. Work up the section, bit by bit, until you reach the roots. If you find a snarl, work it out with your fingers, not the comb.

Snarls are easier to undo if you hold them horizontally rather than vertically.

Repeat with another section of hair until all hair has been detangled

Part the hair from nape to forehead so that it is in two sections.

Hold each section so that they are separate.

Stand erect.

Take the hair in the right hand and place it gently over your right shoulder and let it fall behind your back

Repeat with the other side.

Check for any tangles then style as desired.

For the sake of your hair, try and stay away from sticky hairspray. It only makes matters worse when you're trying to detangle.

Glorylocks
February 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Kyla and Madora. I do realize how bad hairspray is but when I curl my hair using a curling iron it seems to be the only way my hair will hold the curl! I wish that it wasn't like that. I definitely need to purchase a wide tooth comb for detangling purposes. I will definitely remember these tips next time I curl my hair and need to do some serious detangling. I also never thought to wash the hairspray out before detangling. I'll have to try that next time if *IF* I ever use hairspray again. Again thanks so much!!

Kelikea
February 16th, 2012, 06:50 PM
If you use spiral perm rods--the foam ones that bend--you can wet your hair and use a bit of gel to set them. Then, just scrunch the crunch out. This is a great no-heat way to do curls. Then, de-tangle carefully with a wide-tooth comb and put in a leave-in. I use VO5 strawberries and cream, but you can use whatever conditioner you like. Wet your hair, put in the conditioner, bun it and leave it for 30 min or so, then rinse, condition again and use a wide tooth comb again while the conditioner is in, then rinse completely. Squeeze out excess water and then air dry or use a microfiber towel, turban style. Your hair should be pretty tangle free when it dries:)

blondie9912
February 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Coating my hair in coconut oil prior to detangling always helps tangles slip out :)

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM
If you use spiral perm rods--the foam ones that bend--you can wet your hair and use a bit of gel to set them. Then, just scrunch the crunch out. This is a great no-heat way to do curls. Then, de-tangle carefully with a wide-tooth comb and put in a leave-in. I use VO5 strawberries and cream, but you can use whatever conditioner you like. Wet your hair, put in the conditioner, bun it and leave it for 30 min or so, then rinse, condition again and use a wide tooth comb again while the conditioner is in, then rinse completely. Squeeze out excess water and then air dry or use a microfiber towel, turban style. Your hair should be pretty tangle free when it dries:)

This is a great idea! it really adds to my theory that there are some tangles i just can't get out before conditioning. (lol some of my theorys pan out, most haven't lately, thats why they call them, Theorys, but hey i am glad this one is right!:))

KwaveT
February 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM
If your hair is tangled that bad the only thing I can add that has not been said is make sure you are not pulling on the roots of your hair when you detangle. You grab the hair in one hand while combing with the other. My hair is just now long enough to do this in the back but you have plenty of hair to do all your hair this way.

RocketDog
February 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM
when my hair is super tangly, I hop in the shower and apply a liberal glob of conditioner to my hair, then comb out as the water is flowing through the gooey conditioner-laden hair.

hototogisu
February 17th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I love to do vintage styles with tons of setting lotion and hairspray, and my advice is to never try and brush out hair spray. Instead, when I want to comb out my hair I make an oily SMT, rinse my hair well, then let it soak in the SMT for a good hour or so. The oils and conditioner break down all the stiffening product. I then very gently detangle, by first dividing my hair roughly into four sections, then pulling apart any big knots with my fingers, then gently, gently, gently combing out from the ends.

For general detangling, I use the section-and-pull-apart method then comb with a shower comb (wet) or Tangle Teezer (dry).

Glorylocks
February 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I never thought to use spiral perm rods to curl my hair! That is a great idea! Thanks for the advice..now if I only knew where to get spiral perm rods..:confused:

Coating my hair in coconut oil prior to detangling always helps tangles slip out :)
I will definitely have to try putting coconut oil in my hair next time. It seems like a great way to detangle!

I love to do vintage styles with tons of setting lotion and hairspray, and my advice is to never try and brush out hair spray. Instead, when I want to comb out my hair I make an oily SMT, rinse my hair well, then let it soak in the SMT for a good hour or so. The oils and conditioner break down all the stiffening product. I then very gently detangle, by first dividing my hair roughly into four sections, then pulling apart any big knots with my fingers, then gently, gently, gently combing out from the ends.

For general detangling, I use the section-and-pull-apart method then comb with a shower comb (wet) or Tangle Teezer (dry).
I love to do vintage styles too! The only part I don't like is detangling afterwards. I'll definitely be using your method sometime in the future! I need to learn to be gentle with my hair. I often times find myself rushing for no reason. Once I learn to slow down I'm sure I won't have as much pain when I detangle.