PDA

View Full Version : Put down the shampoo bottle and go into kitchen!

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 03:36 PM

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I would try the baking soda if it was color safe...and i wanna try the mollasses, i will let you know how it goes, favorited the thread, it is awsome!

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM
She mentioned that to keep haircolor dark, go light on the baking soda. I hope you have happy hair and fun in the kitchen!
:blossom:

I will have fun! do you think one round of baking soda would be bad for hair colored sunday? I think i need to clarify btu do not know which would be better for the color, shampoo or BS? She also mentioned the mollasses was good for dark hair, yay!

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 03:59 PM

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not certain, but doesn't dark chemical color need a week or so to set in before using shampoo?
Brunettes, any information on color/shampoo timing for Hollyfire3? :blossom:

Thank you, but unfortiunatly, the lady who did it didn't do it right, so i will be getting it redone in about a week or so, my main concern now is to get my hair in the best condition to avoid damage as much as possible. i would appreciate the tips for the color/shampoo timing for when my hair is the color i want though.:)

cuties
February 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM
That is weird. When I colored my hair dark, the instructions said, its ok to use baking soda to remove hair color but do not use shampoo.

By the way, interesting article. Only if ACV worked for me. sigh :(
I will try molasses though. I think one of the reasons they help is because they are high in iron and even calcium. I read the label on my BSM and it says 1 serving has 20% daily iron.

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Lol you color your own hair? Tips please? i am worried i will not get the same beautiful color and it will be all the same color...

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Amarante
February 15th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I could never let anyone else do mine. It is hard to convey in writing, as there are so many factors between your hair and the products to select. Also, I am a hair dye "non-believer" now. So often I find that a person's natural color compliments their complexion best.
I bet your natural color is very pretty on you.

I agree! I find that most people look best with their natural color. :)

It took me a long time to realize this, but I'm finally growing out my natural color and think it looks so much more complimentary with my skin tone than any of the colors I've colored it before.

Ok, sorry, end of hijack... :o

spidermom
February 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
YMMV. Baking soda made my hair so-so-so dry.

GaJunebug
February 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM
(Moonlake, thanks so much for sharing this website! There are tons of great info and lots of great things to make for gifts- I love it!)

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Pazita!
February 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I use egg yolk, and vinegar, it works great =)

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I could never let anyone else do mine. It is hard to convey in writing, as there are so many factors between your hair and the products to select. Also, I am a hair dye "non-believer" now. So often I find that a person's natural color compliments their complexion best.
I bet your natural color is very pretty on you.

Thank you, it is a light brown and i honestly do not like it, i think it makes me look washed out, but i guess its not too bad, i just like being a darker brunette

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I agree that when using baking soda you should try the smallest amount first to see how your hair and scalp responds. :blossom:

GaJunebug: The writer of that article has a good sense of humor doesn't she? :-D

yeah i laughed so much when reading the article!

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I use egg yolk, and vinegar, it works great =)

I read somewhere on here that egg yolk can cause hair breakage, i used to love it but stoped and have not tried it again after reading this, anyone else know anythign about this?

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM

beachgirlla
February 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM
BSoda before coloring next Sunday; yes I think clarifying your hair before coloring sounds like a good idea.
I have done an excellent job on my own color, until my scalp objected. I am not using chemicals or dyes now and I have decided to stay in the kitchen for my hair treatments. No more chemical soup for my hair. ;)
There must be some coloring experts who can help Hollyfire3 with her haircolor and cleansing plans? :blossom:

ETA: Thank you cuties! That is good news!

Thanks for the tip, first time I hear about the molasses how do you do it, do you actually not use the shampoo at all, can you give me instructions one by one, LOL
Your hair in your avatar looks amazing !

Amber_Maiden
February 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM
GOOD article!

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM

beachgirlla
February 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM
On clean, dry hair washed the night before:
I just put the blackstrap molasses in my small blender with a tiny bit of warm water to blend it into a little bit thinner mixture, rubbed it into my dry hair and covered my hair with a thin, clear showercap twisted at the front to keep it tight. After 30 minutes I just rinsed it out and let it dry... Silky soft hair... yum! Easy peezy! :blossom:
Thanks a lot, will do it over the weekend :D

Moonlake
February 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Cocoa_Crema
February 15th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I love this website! Thank you for sharing. :)

HelloKitteh
February 16th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Some people swear by baby oil here, isn't that mineral oil?

kmoc123
February 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I colored mine dark recently and a few days ago, did the baking soda rinse to clairify....I didn't notice any color stripping, but it was clairified...I needed a fresh application of cones afterwards!

Lostsoule77
February 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Some people swear by baby oil here, isn't that mineral oil?

Yes!

There are those on here that love it for their hair. Things like that I like to ask on here more than the general net. You never know what you're going to get out there. :)

edit: I love that blog! Thank you so much for pointing us to it! She has all sorts of great info on there. Even no poo stuff! :D end edit

Naiadryade
February 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM
On clean, dry hair washed the night before:
I just put the blackstrap molasses in my small blender with a tiny bit of warm water to blend it into a little bit thinner mixture, rubbed it into my dry hair and covered my hair with a thin, clear showercap twisted at the front to keep it tight. After 30 minutes I just rinsed it out and let it dry... Silky soft hair... yum! Easy peezy! :blossom:

Do you really mean you just rinsed it out with water? No washing? I would really love to try this, but I'm dedicated to WO. I don't even own shampoo, and I used baking soda (for the second time ever in 3 years WO) too recently to want to risk having to use it again to get a sticky mess out of my hair. But if you really can just rinse it out with water, I'm so going to do it!

Moonlake
February 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Moonlake
February 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM

PianoPlaye
February 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Baking soda? "bicarbonate of soda" to us Brits? Hm. I haven't clarified for a while. Need to find a good conditioner for after though. I use bicarb for serious cleaning & if I'm going to put that on my hair I need to know I have a restorative treat planned. (For my hands as well, thinking about it!)

Pics will follow...

Moonlake
February 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Holly That's a negative. Egg shampoo helps prevent hair breakage.
Thanks Pazita for the good hair tip! Here is more info on egg shampoo for brittle hair:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/72178-can-stop-hair-breakage/ :blossom:

Kk this is good, i like eggs as a hair treatment. Thank you so much.

Hollyfire3
February 16th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Another article about commercial shampoos if you like to read:
http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html#bad

"Most shampoos contain mineral oil. A byproduct of the distillation of gasoline from crude oil, mineral oil is what's left over. It's so abundant that it costs more to dispose of it than it does to package and sell it, so it ends up everywhere. It's added to shampoos and conditioners to give hair an artificial shine caused by coating it with a thick oil. Mineral oil cannot absorb into your skin like other oils do, so it sits on top and forms a barrier preventing oils and toxins from being released as a normal part of your skin's lifecycle. This is one of the reasons you'll find that the more shampoo you use, the more often you need to use it. In the long run, coating your hair with mineral oil makes it weaker, and more prone to damage."

:blossom: Have fun in the kitchen! It is a safe place for your hair to get what it needs. :blossom:

Don't many people on here use mineral oil to moisturize hair? confused...