PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Hair Texture after Conditioning

selenir
February 14th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Since I started to only think about really taking care of my hair recently (I started looking around LHC maybe 8 months ago), I don't really know how my hair should feel after COing or showering in general.

When I apply conditioner, it's smooth when I put my hands through my hair but I tend to break a few hairs by accident despite this. However, after I wash it out, my hair seems to become either a sort of sticky or rough, I'm not sure which. My questions are if I should wash out the conditioner thoroughly or if I should leave a little on, etc. and whether this happens to other members.

PS, I tend to have a lot of questions about the basics, and seeing how this is my first question, I'm wondering if I should start a new thread if I have a new question on a separate topic.

jesis
February 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi! Welcome to LHC!

Before starting a bunch of threads, try using the search option located at the top of the screen. It really does help. :)

When putting anything in your hair, especially if your hair is fragile or damaged, you should be very careful. There shouldn't be any worry about breakage.

I wouldn't leave any conditioner in your hair. Try adding some oil to your hair while it is still wet, as oil helps seal in moisture. I use camellia oil after I shower. Coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, etc. are all also good options.

Sillage
February 14th, 2012, 09:54 PM
What conditioner are you using that makes your hair feel rough or sticky :confused: Maybe you need to try a different one. Personally, I always wash out my conditioner very well because 1) I don't like the idea of leaving in a product that was formulated to be rinse out and 2) it's better for my scalp. I know some people like to leave some in... it's all a matter of experimenting and finding the right fit for you .:D

selenir
February 14th, 2012, 10:05 PM
What conditioner are you using that makes your hair feel rough or sticky :confused: Maybe you need to try a different one. Personally, I always wash out my conditioner very well because 1) I don't like the idea of leaving in a product that was formulated to be rinse out and 2) it's better for my scalp. I know some people like to leave some in... it's all a matter of experimenting and finding the right fit for you .:D

Well, it seems to be the case with everything I use. I used to use a 2-in-1 dandruff shampoo (until I realised shampoo was the reason I had flakes), and three other conditioners all to the same kind of "stickiness".

Maybe I'm simply over-reacting, so I was curious as to other people's experiences with conditioner.

Hi! Welcome to LHC!

Before starting a bunch of threads, try using the search option located at the top of the screen. It really does help. :)

When putting anything in your hair, especially if your hair is fragile or damaged, you should be very careful. There shouldn't be any worry about breakage.

I wouldn't leave any conditioner in your hair. Try adding some oil to your hair while it is still wet, as oil helps seal in moisture. I use camellia oil after I shower. Coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, etc. are all also good options.

I tried a few minutes ago, but I got an error, so I decided to post. I thought this question would be a little odd to search up as well.

The part I am confused about most is that I have rather coarse hair and haven't really done any particular treatments to damage my hair (that I know of) and yet, it has that odd feeling and breaks easily.

Mommyof4
February 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Try clarifying your hair, I have coarse hair, and it always feels "breaky" lol.. I wash my ends well with Dawn soap once a week, and it keeps that feeling away..

The ONLY conditioner that feels decent on my hair is Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition...
Matrix Salon brand was okay at first, but then my head stayed itchy constantly while using it.

I rinse my hair with warm water, rub conditioner on, I don't run my fingers through my hair, just over the top.. then I let it sit for a few minutes, rinse in cool-ish water and I like to leave a little on, so that I can comb it when I get out of the shower.

When my hair is damp, I'll add a little avocado oil or coconut oil to the ends, the VERY ends, just to keep them from frizzing..

Good luck!

sycamoreboutiqu
February 15th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Definitely sounds like a need to clarify. I have found good consistent results just using a teaspoon of baking soda in a handful of conditioner. I soak my length (scalp area usually not an issue) and just wait a minute or so - that seems to be enough time for it to attach to and remove any mineral buildup (I don't use any styling products so it isn't a product build up issue).

I also only CO wash these days (conditioner only wash, no shampoo), and there can always be ingredients that deposit on the hair from that.

I follow that with a good conditioner - I agree about Garnier Triple Nutrition, is it such good stuff - leave that on for 2-10 mins and use the wide tooth comb while the conditioner is still in the hair. That is the best time to detangle - then keep combing to a minimum or not at all until hair is fully dry. That in-between stage of being partially wet is when hair seems to stretch and break the most.

I try to always air dry, or blow dry from 3' away and only for a few minutes at a time, air drying in-between.

sycamoreboutiqu
February 15th, 2012, 12:22 AM
PS - I think stretchy, sticky feeling hair can also indicate a need for protein. Try a conditioner with added protein and see if there is a different feel afterwards.

sycamoreboutiqu
February 15th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Lastly - After you have clarified you definitely want to start using some oils to seal, smooth and protect your hair. Using oils as leave-ins has made all the difference in taming my mangy, wavy coarse head of hair. I actually like the texture these days, much smoother and softer. Oils made that happen - and it only takes a few drops to get good results.

PS - Read the thread on Baby Oil (mineral oil) using that has made a big difference for a lot of members.

Dragon Faery
February 15th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Everyone's hair is different. Curlies tend to need moisture, and it's likely that coarse hair needs more moisture, too. (But don't take my word for it.) Spend some time in the Articles section, and read up on different washing and conditioning methods. Pay attention to what people with your hair type do that makes their hair happy.

When my hair is conditioned enough, it feels smooth. Not slippery or slimy, but smooth and a little soft. A rough feeling indicates that likely your hair is thirsty. (Although it can also indicate a need for protein, a need to clarify, or simply lots of damage.)

You can try clarifying, but I'd recommend reading up on it in the Articles section first, as there are different ways to clarify depending on how your hair is/isnt behaving. Nightshade has an excellent article on this. (I'd be helpful and give a link to it, but I'm still figuring out how to post from a mobile phone. It's in the articles section, under Hair Care or a similar topic.) In her post, she also links to an article (by Teacherbear, I think) about how to diagnose what is wrong with your hair if it isn't behaving.

There are also plenty of articles on deep treatments to help dry hair. With a little digging and experimenting, hopefully you will soon figure out what makes your hair the happiest. (Keep in mind it may change depending on the season or your geographical location.)

Happy growing!