PDA

View Full Version : How much should I trim?

Zoulvisia
February 14th, 2012, 09:19 PM
My hair is currently hovering just about waist length but the ends are quite wispy and sort of fluffy. I'm going to get them trimmed so the end of my hair is more obvious as well as some layers. How much should I trim off? Here are some pictures of my hair:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48549570@N07/

spidermom
February 14th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Two inches should do it.

Diamond.Eyes
February 14th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I would say about 2 inches as well. :)

Sillage
February 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
A third vote for 2 inches

jacqueline101
February 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I say two inches.

Mommyof4
February 14th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Two inches :) Gorgeous hair by the way!

Nev
February 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I wouldn't cut more than an inch. you can always cut more off later if you think you need it.

Tota
February 15th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I agree with 2".

julliams
February 15th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Clarify first and see if this helps with the fluffiness.

Amber_Maiden
February 15th, 2012, 07:51 AM
2 and a half inches around I'd say.

turtlelover
February 15th, 2012, 08:22 AM
2-3 inches sounds about right to me

hellucy
February 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I love love love the colour of your hair!!! and it looks in good condition apart from the fluffy bit at the ends - I also think that up to 2 inches may need to be trimmed, but it may be worth just cutting 1" 1st and seeing if that improves the texture, then if necessary cut off another 1".

jeanniet
February 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! I would trim 1" first and see if you're happy with that--that is, if you don't want to lose too much length. If it doesn't matter so much, go ahead and trim the 2". That will give you a really nice hemline. :)

torrilin
February 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Clarify first. I don't think your ends look fluffy. I think they look hazy, like they're catching the light in a different way than the rest of your hair. That could be mineral build up, or regular build up, or split ends... so clarify to figure it out.

After you've clarified, let your hair air dry without touching it. Take a good look at it in the mirror, and think about whether you like the way your hair looks when the natural wave pattern isn't distorted from handling. Does your hem work with your waves or against them?

Then detangle from the ends up, paying close attention to where the knots are in your hair. If you've got hair scissors, look to see if split ends are contributing to the knots, and if they are, cut them off. If you don't have scissors, just note where the major knot points were. When you comb your hair next, see if the knots were mostly in the same place, or if they're mostly in different places. I find that when I have concentrated damage on my hair, I tend to get more knots and tangles in that area, even after I have clarified. If there's a particular conditioner or detangling spray that helps you to detangle, USE IT.

After that, it should be clear to you how much of the problem is damage and how much is just that you dislike layers. You won't be able to eliminate all layering, since your hair grows and sheds constantly, so there are always new hairs growing their way down your head and back... but you can keep a decent balance between a hemline that you think is pretty and the fastest possible hair growth. And chances are even if you don't adore a fairy tale ends look that slight layering does work well with your wave pattern.

I really can't see the point in cutting off 2" now when you're at 32" and 35" is not far off. And I especially can't see the point if cutting off 2" doesn't improve how your hair tangles.

patienceneeded
February 15th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Very pretty hair! I think a 1" trim to start would be fine. If you need to trim more, you always can. Try clarifying and a DT first, then take off 1" if you need to. Wait two weeks and if you want to remove 1" more, then go ahead. I would think you would need more than 1-2" total trimmed. Start small.

Oh, have you tried mineral oil (baby oil) on your ends yet? It has saved at least 6 people from trims they thought the needed. Look for the "Mineral Oil/Baby Oil" thread in the conventional products section of the forum.

kitschy
February 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'll second......1" to start. More if needs be.

Deborah
February 15th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I would cut off 2 or 3 inches if it were my hair.

Chromis
February 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Clarify first. I don't think your ends look fluffy. I think they look hazy, like they're catching the light in a different way than the rest of your hair. That could be mineral build up, or regular build up, or split ends... so clarify to figure it out.

After you've clarified, let your hair air dry without touching it. Take a good look at it in the mirror, and think about whether you like the way your hair looks when the natural wave pattern isn't distorted from handling. Does your hem work with your waves or against them?

Then detangle from the ends up, paying close attention to where the knots are in your hair. If you've got hair scissors, look to see if split ends are contributing to the knots, and if they are, cut them off. If you don't have scissors, just note where the major knot points were. When you comb your hair next, see if the knots were mostly in the same place, or if they're mostly in different places. I find that when I have concentrated damage on my hair, I tend to get more knots and tangles in that area, even after I have clarified. If there's a particular conditioner or detangling spray that helps you to detangle, USE IT.

After that, it should be clear to you how much of the problem is damage and how much is just that you dislike layers. You won't be able to eliminate all layering, since your hair grows and sheds constantly, so there are always new hairs growing their way down your head and back... but you can keep a decent balance between a hemline that you think is pretty and the fastest possible hair growth. And chances are even if you don't adore a fairy tale ends look that slight layering does work well with your wave pattern.

I really can't see the point in cutting off 2" now when you're at 32" and 35" is not far off. And I especially can't see the point if cutting off 2" doesn't improve how your hair tangles.

I agree with this, completely! I don't think you really need to take off two full inches. I'd certainly clarify and let it dry naturally to see where you really stand. For thickeneing them hemline a little, you might find even a dusting, like a centimetre gives a dramatic difference.

Depending on how you like to wear your hair, I might also be leery of layers. If you like to wear it up mostly, they tend to stick out and not play nicely for many people.

lapushka
February 15th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I agree with those who've said 1 inch, and cut more later if it's still necessary.

pes3108
February 15th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Definitely only an inch or less and then see how it looks and/or feels to you. Do what makes you happiest!

heidi w.
February 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I would say one inch to an inch-and-a-half. 1 - 1.5 inches. Two inches seems a bit much.

It appears in one photo that you MIGHT have what we call a "weak" spot, but unless a better picture could be taken, I am unsure. I did not notice that apparent "weak spot" in any of the other photos either.

I am better that even a mere inch removed, you might like your hair a whole lot. I would beware of overly trimming shorter layers because you're kind of, then, maintaining layers. If you want all your hair one length, you at some point kind of need to let this go. It can take upwards of two years to get all your hair one length.

FYI - I have a weak spot. A definite weak spot. In your case, it could just be the mere drawing the hair forward that could appear to be a weak spot in a photo when in fact it doesn't exist at all. I'd have to see a better photo to be more certain.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 15th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I also happen to think that you do not need to clarify as my sense of the ends being kind of bushy is a matter of age and a lot of hair manipulation to the hemline, such as curling the ends (per your first set of pictures). And clarifying doesn't fix any of that. Clarifying doesn't change hair's texture: it merely handles the removal of buildup of product, hard water minerals and dust/sebum/dirt/detris removal.

I don't think you'll have a big benefit from a clarify hair wash.

heidi w.

MonaLisa
February 15th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I think you should do everything you can first.
Meaning - clarify, heavy oil, deep treatment :)
And then ask this again!

2 inches is 4 months growth on average..
I think you should try to save it the best you can and then trim 1 inch :)

Coolcombination
January 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I'd say 1-1.5" off

hippie girl
January 28th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I Don't think they look too fluffy either. The thickness is actually pretty good, in my opinion.
Just a 1/2" trim might be all it needs to smooth them out. No length lost that way. You could always do in again if you still feel they are rough.

Start small and trim more later if needed. Can't paste it back!

Beautiful color. :)

bunzfan
January 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I honestly think your hair looks great the way it is, a inch at the most.

Angelica
January 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Why are you thinking about it at all? Your hair is gorgeous and I would just leave it. No more than an inch I would say as hair grows slowly and anymore you will feel that it is a lot you are cutting off. You really can notice the difference when two inches are cut off. Keep it minimum unless you really want to go shorter.

ravenheather
January 29th, 2013, 02:10 PM
If it were my hair I'd leave it. A blunt hemline is not that crucial to me though. If the ends aren't behaving. I'd try deep conditioning and babying them for a bit first.

jojo
January 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Agree with this 100%

Sarahlabyrinth
January 30th, 2013, 06:47 PM
It doesn't look to me like you need to trim, if you must then just take one inch off to see if that looks ok.

battles
January 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
This thread is almost a year old. :flower: