PDA

View Full Version : Which part of your "Hair Journey" took the longest?

RapunzelKat
February 14th, 2012, 06:07 PM
So, I've been trying to figure out about how long it's goin to take me to get to classic length, and I was realizing something... It seems like I've been growing from tailbone to classic FOREVER! :bigeyes: I was more or less at hip after my last salon trim about two years ago - I had been at tailbone, but with LOTS of splits and damage. I got back to tailbone pretty quickly... But since then, boy, it's been taking a long time! I'm pretty close to classic now, maybe 3-4" to go :D

I think this is because I'm super short waisted, so getting my hair from my short shag to around hip happened pretty fast (about four years, with a couple large trims to get rid of layers and bleach). I would have expected the next stage to go pretty fast too, since it seems like tailbone to classic is just not as far to grow. But now my hair has to grow its way down around my c-shaped behind, ;) and I've had to contend with serious tangle damage issues since about tailbone. So, even though it seems like this part should go faster, it seems like it's taking forever!

So I was wondering, what part of your hair journey has proved to take the longest? Pixie to shoulder? Shoulder to waist? Growing out layers or damage? Anybody else in the same boat as me? :D

Kelikea
February 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I think waist-to-hip took a long time--about 2 years with 3 trims in between. My "fringe" also went from cheek, to chin, to SL, and is now almost APL, in the same 2 years (but only 1 or 2 trims.) I haven't had anything else above BSL since I was a kid.

Amber_Maiden
February 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm past waist, but it is taking FOREVER to get to TBL or even HIP. Driving me nuts. I swear it isn't even growing!!! GRRR.

Vanilla
February 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I'm only at APL, but when I was growing out my bob, I swear it took 2 years for my ends to finally touch my collarbone. So far, that has been the longest for me.

Georgies
February 14th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Whatever stage I'm currently in always seems like the longest one!

Kristin
February 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I've only been hip at the longest, then cut back to just below waist. But I'd say BSL to waist was the worst.

Diamond.Eyes
February 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
My growth has always been pretty fast; it's about .75 - 1.25 inches a month depending on the season. I grew out an elongated bob to waist-length in just 2 years, so that was nice. But right now I am at a hip-length and it seems like it is taking forever to get to TBL. I have a very small amount of growth left until I reach my goal, but it just seems like my hair isn't growing us much as it used to. Maybe it's because I am always focusing on hair. Maybe if I focus on other things I will notice the growth :laugh:.

Avital88
February 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM
it took me the longest to get to waist,omg i think 5years, i kept on going to the hairsalon and dye my hair so thats where it went wrong,i was between bsl and mbl usually. When i stopped doing that i finally grew to waist.
Waist to tailbone took me a good year and it felt like forever, while its actually pretty fast growth ,im now very looking forward to reach classic but this will take some time too ofcourse,but this time i will take the best care of my hair,so i hope to reach it this summer. i need 5 more inches:D

Loreley
February 15th, 2012, 03:37 AM
When I actually started growing my hair it was tailbone length. Before that it just grew and I didn't care much about it. Tailbone to classic was pretty fast, half a year. But from classic (44-45") to my goal, 50", seems to take forever. I've been in this stage for 2 years. At past classic length for me it's very difficult to keep an even, and not too thin hemline. So I've been trimming a lot. Finally I will reach my goal next month (fingers crossed), I need only half an inch to 50". :cheese:
Then the "Thickening up my hemline and growing out old dye" journey begins, and it will take at least 4 years... :(

Tota
February 15th, 2012, 03:56 AM
For me, the longest transition was from pixie to shoulder. I had to get rid of the colored hair and layers so I trimmed a lot - it took me 2 years. From then on it was easy, but now I'm at MBL and am obsessed with reaching waist and again, I think it will take forever.

jel
February 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
My longest, or most desperately slow (in my mind) stretch was BSL to waist. I'm tall, and after hitting APL and BSL fairly quickly after starting at shoulder, the "midback abyss" felt interminably long.

This is my second year of growing from TB (BCL, really) to classic, but I'm much less invested into reaching it, I suppose. I mean, it would be nice to get to classic or fingertip, but every now and again I think about cutting back to TBL or even hip, and maintaining there.

When I think about it, the main difference was that, growing to waist, I wore my hair down more often than not; I could clearly see the progress, or lack thereof, every day. Now, my hair is always up or braided; when I do wear it down it's not for too long, or it gets mega-tangled. So, not that easy to be aware of the length!

Long_hair_bear
February 15th, 2012, 04:35 AM
THIS is taking me forever, and by "this" I mean my current growth. I'm at bsl heading for waist.... /sigh

hanne jensen
February 15th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Every new goal seems to take forever for me. It took 2 years from APL to BSL. I've been at MBL for over a year and still need 7 cm to waist.

B-L
February 15th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I went from shoulders to BSL+ (where I am now) in just 1½ years with 2 big trims.
Now it seems like waist is 2-3 years more to go :( :sad:

Grillz
February 15th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I felt like I was at that awkward shoulder length for a really long time and then it seemed like I was BSL practically overnight. HOWEVER, I started lurking around these LHC boards when I first reached BSL and now that I'm actually conscious of my length it is taking for-freakin-ever to get to waist! It grew much faster when I didn't have a hair goal.

ladyshep
February 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Pixie to shoulder took forever for me 13 years ago. Probably because I had to keep getting trims in order for it to grow evenly. Once it got to past my shoulders, the growth took off and grew to my knees in 10 years. (Two full term pregnancies helped with fast growth)

turtlelover
February 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Pixie to shoulder was awful and took a long time. My hair looks decent super short and looks good once it sits right above the shoulders, but the lengths in between chin and shoulder are generally very unflattering, and I have a long neck, so it seems to take F-O-R-E-V-E-R.

Cirafly24
February 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I think BCL to Classic took the longest for me. Took me almost 1.5 years! I must have a long "BC" :p

Then again, I didn't really start paying close attention to length until I was already past waist. I'm pretty sure it took about a year to go from BSL to hip.

swearnsue
February 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Growing out a pixie to shoulder is taking a long time. I have to trim the old thin pixie pieces to even out the hemline. From reading the posts here I see I'm not alone in this awkward stage!

lapushka
February 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Chin to shoulder, to APL. That was really bad. Bad wavy flips and lots of bad hairdays. Heat styling was necessary, esp. chin to shoulder.

pepperminttea
February 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM
BSL to waist felt like forever. (Photo here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7365&pictureid=97191).) At BSL I had a lot of layers from old feathering haircuts, with a deep U-ish hemline, with the shortest layers at shoulder. I trimmed a lot, so that when I did eventually get to waist a couple of years later, it was with a blunt hemline. It doesn't help I'm tall-ish with a low waist, so there's a few more inches in there too.

Eryka
February 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Growing. Out. Bangs. OMG

patienceneeded
February 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
The whole journey (haha) feels like it's taking FOREVER. I'm just waiting for it to "feel" long...

elbow chic
February 15th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I think going from APLish to BSL was hardest... I wanted to grow it out without a lot of layering, and that meant tolerating triangle-head.

(I'd been at APL in the past, but hadn't tried APL without layers since I was in high school. It was not more attractive at 28 than it was at 15... I kept having unpleasant flashbacks. :laugh: )

Plus I had the hair "bug" so I was always thinking about it. ;)

Getting from pixie to chin/neck would have been awful, if I had been in any state of mind to care about it. I've seen a few pics from that period. My hair looked really, really bad, but for various reasons I just didn't care back then.

Silverbrumby
February 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Right now for me. I have no idea is I can grow further than BSL. I'm about 1 inch from bsl now and I'm feeling very impatient to see if its possible. On the upside my hair feels better than it has in years /ever. Except for the ends.

insomniac-uk
February 15th, 2012, 10:55 AM
BSL to waist is taking ages I still have a few more inches to go and its already been a year.

MissHair
February 15th, 2012, 11:01 AM
BSL to waist seems to take forever in my case...

PinkyCat
February 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
APL to BSL - I was so traumatized by the unfortunate chop from waist that it seemed to take a hundred years before I could do any decent updos.

Pazita!
February 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm an inch past BSL and it seems like forever to grow to waist, it seems like I'll never get there.

embee
February 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Figuring out Benign Neglect took me the longest. Seemed like my hair *never* grew much, so frustrating. About the time I ran out of money for trims and care I discovered I could put my hair back and (eventually) up... so I did. Every day. Seemed like I had no alternative, could not afford any kind of salon upkeep.

And then one day I noticed that the hairs in the brush seemed rather long so I measured one and it was more than two feet long. I almost flipped! My hair was getting toward Waist!

I think the watching and waiting was what slowed everything down for me! ;) Not any particular area of growth.

Anje
February 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Mine is taking FOREVER to thicken. This "thicken at tailbone before I keep growing" stage has logged about 3 years so far.

It is making progress, though. My braids basically have no noticable taper til waist now, whereas they tapered significantly from the nape when I began this. I'm waiting for that to move a bit further, maybe to hip, before I make a run at classic and fingertip lengths.

freckles
February 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM
waist to tailbone is taking the longest.

chin-ish to APL+ seemed to go really fast, because I wasn't really purposefully growing and I hadn't discovered LHC yet, so I wasn't paying my hair any attention and I wasn't impatient. In my first year here, I hit BSL and then waist, so even though I complained a lot about how looooong it was taking, I was hitting milestones quickly enough that I was happy-ish.

I hit waist in July 2010 and I've been working on tailbone ever since (several trims, even though I had a trim-free year for 2012). I just want to be THERE already, but between damaged ends and a longer 'gap' between milestones, it's definitely the longest stage for me so far.

blondie9912
February 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I started at APL in September and have about 3 months left until I hit BSL. Then I've got about another year after I reach BSL to go to waist...I feel like BSL to a full waist will take aggges

Kira94
February 15th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure. When I joined LHC I was at APL, now I'm pretty much BSL, thought it feels like it's taking forever. Befor I joined I didn't really pay much attention to how fast and how long my hair grew.
I'm guessing though, that whatever stage I happen to be on will feel the longest. :)
I'm hoping once I get to waist I won't be so impatient because it will feel longer since it'll be longer than my friends hair. :D

Snippety
February 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Buzz cut to shoulders was the worst. I don't know how long that actually took but it seemed like forever. I didn't trim and my hair did all sorts of wierd stuff, each stage seeming worse than the last. It went fluffy like Anthea Turner. Then it went flat and kind of lopsided. Then it went all straggly, like Wormtongue from the Lord of the Rings films, and my ears stuck through like a monkey's. Then one day it was ok, and I could just about squeeze it into a ponytail. After that I just forgot about it.

Growing back from between waist and hip to knee seems to be taking forever now, but I think that's more to do with me kicking myself for having chopped some off :rolleyes:

cremenoir
February 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Shoulder to APL is taking forever! I've been hovering around shoulder for about year now trying to trim off old dye damage and grow out very short layers. Judging by my line of demarcation from the old color, my hair grows about 6-7 inches per year which is around average, but feels like it takes forever, especially when I have to trim off almost as much as I'm growing in. Trying to love the journey though! Healthy hair is definitely worth the wait.

melusine963
February 15th, 2012, 05:28 PM
APL to waist took longest, but not because the length was greater than, say, shoulder to APL. In my case, I took such bad care of my hair that I would have to cut off large amounts of damage. This slowed my overall progress and it took years to reach waist.

jesis
February 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
For me, the distance between shoulder and waist is infinite, so it's taking forever. I was past shoulder in September 2010 and I have just barely breached BSL. I'm sure it will take me another year to reach waist. Oh well, a wait well worth it.

Glorylocks
February 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Right now hip to tailbone seems to be taking forever! At first I didn't realize I was even at hip! But now that I do I feel as if it will take forever before I reach tailbone! Not only does it feel as if my hair is growing slower, I know in order to get a thicker hemline..which I REALLY want I need to cut my hair a good 3 or 4 inches so that my bottom layer is even with my top layer. After that I'm going for fairytale ends!:D

jacqueline101
February 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
In the past it seemed like bra strap to waste was the longest.

catamonica
February 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM
MY hair stopped growing at one inch past waist in 2010. Then Oct 2011 started wearing it
up in a braided bun. Now my hair is at hip. Bunning your hair promtes growth. It worked for me.

melusine963
February 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM
MY hair stopped growing at one inch past waist in 2010. Then Oct 2011 started wearing it
up in a braided bun. Now my hair is at hip. Bunning your hair promtes growth. It worked for me.

I think you may be onto something. One year ago, an over-enthusiastic hairdresser cut off what was easily two years worth of growth at the time. Since then I've been wearing my hair up and taking proper care of it, and I'm back at the same length I was before. I'm not sure if my hair's grown faster this past year, or if bunning it has simply reduced the damage to my ends, but the results have been amazing.

CurlyCap
February 15th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Wherever I'm at!

Logically, I know that my hair grows at about the same rate every month with a good bump in the fall. However, it always seems to take forever! But looking back over it, I went from buzz to past shoulder in a year...that's more than decent.

catamonica
February 15th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Melusine963, I Went to this website called Blessed Mommy. The woman had a picture of her
hair. It was down to her knees. On her blog she said buns promte growth. And she said she
had not trimmed her hair in twenty years. Bunning it works. Her hair was healthy.

LittleOrca
February 15th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Growing out my dye has been the longest so far. I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but trying to maintain TBL and grow out the damaged gold hair has really put a strain on me. Especially since I sort of feel that my hair is just not growing, despite the natural hair's length saying otherwise.

janeytilllie
February 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Reaching past hip is taking forever for me. Once I hit hip. I need to trim back to waist because my ends look thin/frizzed out.

I'm currently using baby oil and my ends look thicker and healthier. I now don't need to trim back. :D

Alaia
February 16th, 2012, 05:13 AM
The longest for me seems to be between waist and hip. It seems to take FOREVER. Both times I've done it and now the third time. My hair just doesn't feel like it's growing.

Hip to TB didn't seem to take that long for me, only about 8 months. And I haven't got past TB yet, though with the size of my hiney I would imagine TB to Classic will take at least a year and a half :p

Though maybe I can shorten that time by making my hiney smaller :p

Charybdis
February 16th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Chin to shoulder, to APL. That was really bad. Bad wavy flips and lots of bad hairdays. Heat styling was necessary, esp. chin to shoulder.

Yes, as a wavy I can't get through that particular growing phase without some hair dryer and curling iron use to keep the flippy bits at the ends from looking utterly ridiculous. Now that I'm past shoulder again I've been able to ditch the heat styling, and do S&D to deal with the splits around my face. (Thankfully, the splits occur almost exclusively in hairs that were color treated back when I had highlights.) My torso is long and it will take a couple of years to get my hair to reach waist when dry, especially if I'm trying for a decent hemline, but chin to shoulder is definitely the painful phase for me. I'm having a lot more fun with my hair now that it's no longer a daily battle.

gazelle
February 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
BSL to waist because I have been growing out my old dye. It took about 3 years, and still I cannot say I am at waist because of the waves. I got a large trim everytime I reached near waist. Now I have henna on my hair but not any chemical dye, I got rid off that at last, and I am happy for it

My hair has not been longer than waist, so I do not know about other lengths

long&blonde
February 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm voting tailbone to classic too!
Of course that's where I am at the moment too!
Realizing if you'd never ever be jealous of J.Lo,
How long its going to take to grow over That curve,
To "sit on it" length. Sigh.

wicked kisses
February 17th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I feel like I've been hovering right above hip length for a while now. But then, I've had a lot to deal with, with thinning at the front, and damaged ends(which I finally broke down and trimmed off). I guess it was from shoulder to BSL.

PriscillaCherel
February 17th, 2012, 11:52 AM
now... from waist to tailbone, it looks like forever but.. i will be there soon! First want to hit HIP, but i think that would be solid in August 2012...

constancev18
February 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Waist to hip. It looks like it will take 2 full years.

TheBluffs
February 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Tailbone to Classic wasn't too harsh (It took me a year), but I'm past classic and it seems like knee is so far away. :(

princessp
February 17th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Mine was waist to TB it took forever! I am just hovering above classic wet, so TB to classic seems like it won't be much of a problem. :)

Blueneko
February 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM
For the longest time I thought APL to BSL took the longest. But now I am finding that BSL to waist is taking about... 3 years.

Granted, I have battled a bad layering that I have down to emergency bangs at my collarbone with the rest at BSL.

I was watching Robin Hood (latest one) last night and the hair in that film is gorgeous!

zombi
February 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM
APL to BSL is absurd to me. I go from SL to APL pretty quick but then that next one... man, it seems to take FOREVER.

Dars
February 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
APL to BSL as I was trimming frequently to get rid of pre LHC damage! Ugh.

EtherealDoll
February 18th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Shoulder to BSL seemed to take forever to me.

Aggemam
February 18th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I'm between APL and BSL and growing out layering and bangs in the front + some damages and dye...it's taking forever!

gossamer
February 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Tailbone to Classic wasn't too harsh (It took me a year), but I'm past classic and it seems like knee is so far away. :(

Classic to knee took FOREVER! 3 years, give or take a couple months. After all, the femur is the longest bone in the body, right?

nobeltonya
February 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
It seems to be taking forever to get from one to the next for me... just because I'm impatient. :) But I think from above my shoulders until about waist [all of the lengths in between] took FOREVER.. because at that time I was still not completely caring for my hair properly. Now that I know how to take better care of it, and because I'm actually measuring the length now, it seems to be growing faster.. but now I'm better at oiling it, not ripping through it with a comb, actually using conditioners, etc. My hair is much happier and better looking now.:cheese:

MissManda
February 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Growing out damage is probably the longest stage of my hair journey so far. I do not like short hair on myself, so I decided to wait for my hair to grow to a length that I felt comfortable with, which was to my lower back between waist and hip. It took longer to get to that length than it normally would since I had so much breakage even with gentle care and handling. Then I started waiting some more with lots of microtrims thrown in. THEN I realized that my shorter layers were not growing because of the chemical damage, so I had to wait some more for the healthy hair to get to a point where it was long enough for me to tolerate. Once it got to about UBL/BSL, I chopped off six inches or so to get rid of the layers and damage once and for all.

My hair has been very healthy and is back to its weed-like (that sounds so wrong, lol) growth rate ever since. :happydance: It took me the best part of two years to get rid of that dratted layered cut and all of that dye/perm damage! With my growth rate in mind, I'd be willing to bet that it would take a little over half of that time to get from classic to knee length (being petite helps with that, though). Maybe I'll know for sure someday because I'd really like to know....

All of the waiting and trimming has been completely worth it, however. Two years ago, I could never have imagined having the hair that I have now because I felt so depressed and discouraged.

ETA: I will admit that getting from waist to hip and tailbone length seem to be taking forever, but that's probably because my hair was stuck in the Lower Back Abyss for about a year and now it's back there again after my big chop. I am quite sick of this length! I hope to get to hip by May or June this year provided I exhibit much self-control with the scissors and not trim off too much like I did in October.

Johanna
February 18th, 2012, 09:05 PM
So far, growing out the dye has been the longest part. Mostly because my hair was waist length when I dyed it. My fringe took from early 2008 to November 2011 to grow out. I'm hoping that I'll reach classic this year.
I'm expecting to maintain at classic to trim out the dye. It looks like its going to take another 2.5 - 3 years to be completely dye free at that length.

Patience is a virtue :)

- Lizzy -
February 22nd, 2017, 04:52 PM
Im currently at the "From Apl to Bsl" phase and I feel like its taking very long. It could just be life is going slow but it feels like its been a while.

meteor
February 22nd, 2017, 05:02 PM
Definitely growing out layers. The difference between my shortest and longest layers was pretty huge, so it took quite a few years. Also growing out highlights enough for them to stop looking "rooty" and finally to fade, blend in and look like naturally sun-kissed ends took a very long time, too, because I was constantly checking and obsessing.
I think TBL to Classic took me a while, but I think it's just because I really wanted to experience Classic length at the time. In reality, it was pretty quick growth.
Once I stopped frequent trimming and stopped measuring growth, it felt like I was breezing through milestones without a hitch.

MoonRabbit
February 22nd, 2017, 05:53 PM
I started tracking my growth in Sept 2015. I had a fresh start haircut starting around the lowest part of my armpit/grazing the top of my bra ( I only wear sports bras so I'm not sure if that is exactly 'bra strap' on me). Now I am almost waist and will be solid waist in April 2017 so it took over a year with a few microtrims here and there. I would say that is about average, a year for each marker give for take. But it sure felt like it took ages. The midback abyss was painful. Now my fringe seems to be taking the longest, It was cut in June 2014, right above my eyebrows and it is now at collarbone. I really wish my bangs were the same length because they are causing me so much damage, they wont stay in my braids or buns and when I wake up they are all frizzy and tangled. I'm also growing out layers...ooooh the struggles.

JadedByEntropy
February 22nd, 2017, 06:03 PM
the backside abyss the first time was worse than the mid back abyss! the second time it was like super quick. perspective i guess and having skills to put it up or ignore it helped.

marvel-lover
February 22nd, 2017, 06:04 PM
BSL to waist is taking forever!! I swear my hair isn't even growing!!

trolleypup
February 22nd, 2017, 06:44 PM
Thigh (Classic to Knee) longest body marker ever! Plus a years long stall at past Classic.

school of fish
February 23rd, 2017, 04:44 AM
Growing out damage/layers continues to be my long road. I've kind of lost track of when I started but I think I'm somewhere around the beginning of year 4 on layer grow-out.

At the beginning I didn't have a firm goal length, but I knew I wouldn't want to grow too much - I figured classic might be my maximum. As it turns out tailbone is my limit, and I only had 4" to grow to get there, so I'm having to wait a lot longer for the health of my hair than I did for the length of it :)

vampyyri
February 23rd, 2017, 07:40 AM
Growing out all of my bleach damage from going back to blonde after dark auburn (2012 to 2015)... what a pain that was with semi dyes, toners, trims, purple shampoo... ugh :lol: that's why I will never touch dye again, that was a pain in the backside to get through.

samanthaa
February 23rd, 2017, 08:59 AM
^ yup, I'm going to say growing out my henna will be the longest part of my journey. I'm looking at 4-5 more years to get hip+ virgin hair. Ultimate goal is TBL virgin.

I went from MBL to hip pretty quickly (about a year). I'm growing to BCL then TBL now, but with microtrims, so I'm guessing this will take much longer. I probably could make it to TBL within a year without microtrims. It will be interesting to consider this in retrospect in about a year.

school of fish
February 23rd, 2017, 10:53 AM
I had an additional thought to my post above - there was a longer road in my journey: a 40-year journey to acceptance of what my hair is and what it cannot be naturally ;)

The arrival to acceptance has been revelatory and rewarding, and I credit it for granting me the patience to make it through the current layer-growout journey. It's given me the ability to enjoy my hair as it is right now, without having to wait for growout completion to start enjoying it :)

Entangled
February 23rd, 2017, 12:22 PM
For me it's not so much a length thing. What took me the longest was accepting my hair color. I'm working on accepting the texture.

Chocowalnut
February 28th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I've been growing from apl to bsl forever now it seems. I cut back some once I finally got there to get rid of colour and damage and now I'm set back again which is frustrating. I really hope by the end of this year I'll be at a healthy bsl so next year I can move on to my goal of waist and finally start feeling like I have long hair

Reyesuela
February 28th, 2017, 10:31 PM
When my post-pixie bangs were in my face. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

zuzannaa.aaa
March 4th, 2017, 01:49 PM
My journey has been really fast so far, since it took about two years to get from CBL to BSL (that's really fast for me). It's been at BSL for a really long time though, and it's taking forever to get to waist!! Hopefully once I start taking care of it more it'll start growing again.

CayAsh
March 4th, 2017, 02:36 PM
It hasn't necessarily taken the longest, but growing out my bangs feels like it's taking forever. I've had bangs since middle school and last November decided to grow them out. They've finally passed chin length, but getting them to reach my length is going to be a long haul. But they have grown nearly an inch a month, so I can't complain!

AceOfCurls
March 4th, 2017, 07:36 PM
I have to say APL to BSL took the longest for me too. Now that my hair is a few inches below BSL I feel like I have semi-long (since my goal is only hip) beautiful hair. I'm finally loving my hair journey.

Fia
March 5th, 2017, 03:31 AM
BSL to waist is always a long haul. No difference this time around in the grow out journey.

Dark40
March 6th, 2017, 04:07 PM
For me, my longest hair journey was going from a chin length bob to shoulder length, and that was with trims cutting off all the damage. But now, I'm finally at BSL!!! And, on my way to MBL!!! Yay!!!! It took me 5 years to reach BSL, and my long term goal is, "Thigh Length."

Elizabeth E
March 29th, 2018, 02:41 AM
When I started growing my hair in October last year, it was just past APL. APL to BSL seemed to be taking forever, but looking back I realize it took only 3 months. From there until MBL (which I've just passed) took another 3 months. Waist seems very far away - it looks like it will take at least 3 to 6 more months to get there. (By the way, I'm pretty short so I don't need to grow my hair that long to reach certain goals).
Patiently waiting.

AutobotsAttack
March 29th, 2018, 02:46 AM
Ohhh, I like this!!

Shoulder to waist was the longest and most patience demanding part of my hair journey.

Lady Stardust
March 29th, 2018, 04:27 AM
I had an additional thought to my post above - there was a longer road in my journey: a 40-year journey to acceptance of what my hair is and what it cannot be naturally ;)

The arrival to acceptance has been revelatory and rewarding, and I credit it for granting me the patience to make it through the current layer-growout journey. It's given me the ability to enjoy my hair as it is right now, without having to wait for growout completion to start enjoying it :)

I love this post! The same goes for me, I stopped trying to make my hair something it wasn’t when I was about 40. I enjoyed short hair for a few years and now I’m making the most of each stage as it grows.

I haven’t set a goal because I want to think about each length and consider whether I want to go further. I haven’t enjoyed chin to shoulder length so much because it’s just an awkward length on me. Even so, I’m trying to appreciate it for what it is. Some days are more awkward than others - like when one side looks an inch shorter because of the way it flips up.

The pixie to shoulder stage has taken 2 years so far and I’m hoping that future milestones will be less frustrating. Hopefully I’ll be able to put my hair up and forget about it.

alimc
March 29th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Oh jeez.....pixie to APL. mostly because i was SO upset with myself for cutting it off agan. And because i only seem to enjoy my hair again at APL.

That. Took. Ages. :p

victorian girl
March 29th, 2018, 04:41 AM
From my past experience, BSL to waist is the worst - especially when you're not sure where your waist is, or if it's fluctuating along with your weight. That's where I've always got frustrated and cut everything off. SL to APL also seems to be a tough one because of the flips (and on 2c/3a hair they are more like super-flips). But with a cute ponytail SL to APL is easier to go through:)

Ligeia Noire
March 29th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Definitely from mid thigh length to knee, first time I really got mildly impatient with it.

Saige
March 29th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Definitely from mid thigh length to knee, first time I really got mildly impatient with it.

Yes! Definitely! I'm not even at knee yet and I'm already getting impatient!

Waterlilly21
March 29th, 2018, 08:16 PM
Pixie to shoulder. 2 years because of trims so that I wouldn’t have a grown out pixie mullet

Dark40
March 29th, 2018, 09:15 PM
The part of my hair journey that took the longest was from chin length to shoulder length. After that it started growing very fast. Now, I'm hovering over waist length.

Flowerness
March 29th, 2018, 09:24 PM
My hair grows fast, and it always has been, so growing from one milestone to the next wasn't really the hard part for me. For me, the hard part was the learning process. What kind of hair do I really have, as opposed to what I wish it was? How does my hair really respond to things, and what does it actually like... instead of what I like? How do I take care of my frizz prone, highly porous, wurly and dry hair? And the longest part of all: it has taken me years to get my texture back. When I started growing my hair out (before I joined LHC) until a bit afterwords, I was still blow-frying my hair. I'd brush my wet hair, (no heat protectant) turn the blow dryer on high, and basically have it touching my wet hair. Then out came the curling iron to straighten it or flip the ends under. 5 minutes later, it would wave again in back. My hair would only be straight when it wanted to. Or, if I wanted it curly? Flat. It has been a slow learning process, and getting it to be consistently wavy, and trying to bring curl back. (I had Shirley Temple curls as a kid, and my baby hairs, nape hairs, all curl.)

That has been the hard, slow process. Learning. And seeing it go from 2A, to 2B, to 2B/2C. Now, it seems to be wavier and curlier. Like a loop, not an "s". Like if someone took a tight ringlet, and pulled it down hard. Years ago, I only saw wave when I did my first SMT. Now, it is all the time, getting bigger.

This has taken forever.

Ligeia Noire
March 29th, 2018, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=Saige;3529329]Yes! Definitely! I'm not even at knee yet and I'm already getting impatient![/Quote

It's like our thighs never end....

Simsy
March 29th, 2018, 09:39 PM
My hair grows fast, and it always has been, so growing from one milestone to the next wasn't really the hard part for me. For me, the hard part was the learning process. What kind of hair do I really have, as opposed to what I wish it was? How does my hair really respond to things, and what does it actually like... instead of what I like? How do I take care of my frizz prone, highly porous, wurly and dry hair?

This ^. The growing and ignoring was easy. Actually learning how to deal with curls properly, learning what my hair liked and wouldn’t tolerate; it took years before I felt that I knew what to look for.

Stray_mind
March 29th, 2018, 11:29 PM
The one i am taking now. It is almost 8 months of growing and i am still barely able to put my hair up in it's entirety and it touches my shoulders only when stretched. And i still need to grow out all the layers the shortest of which are now at my ears.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 29th, 2018, 11:34 PM
Waist to hip. It looks like it will take 2 full years.

same for me. i feel like ive been at waist forever.

Milady_DeWinter
March 30th, 2018, 04:39 AM
Waist to hip seems to take forever to me: 8 months by now, probably will need 6 more to feel fully at hip.

The worst will be growing out my dyes and layers :shrug:

Lisa Long4Life
March 30th, 2018, 05:22 AM
BSL to waist but I was trimming too often. It took me over a year iirc. Waist to hip has only taken a few months.

C_Bookworm
March 30th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Waist/Hip/BCL range. I’m cycling through cutting out layers. Each time I get close to BCL, I do another big chop, which drops me back to waist. I’d love to have a blunt hemline, and waist is the shortest length that feels long to me, so I expect to stay here for awhile.

ravenskey
March 30th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Waist to hip seems to take so long! Luckily I'm short so I'm only about 3" away even after a big trim to even up my hemline. :)

leayellena
March 30th, 2018, 09:12 AM
The part from a longish pixie to being able to tuck my hair in a ponytail without the short face or eye framing - as I call them - pieces being catched by my glasses. Tones of breakage in the front and years to finally reach the ponytail length for the short pieces. They are now waist length

MoonRabbit
March 30th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I think I posted mid back abyss as being the hardest, even though it was, that was the time I just became aware of growing my hair. I did so well at forgetting it and just allowing it to do its thing. Then I joined here and really wanted to keep it healthy. I can deal with the wait for milestones the major thing that gets me, is growing out all the damaged hair I destroyed for years, I'd say a bit less than half my length is the hair that was subjected to heat, semi dye just once, dreads, and all around ill care. I haven't even begun to microtrim it away. Maybe once I reach tailbone.

Taliesin
March 30th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I'd say there was two parts: The first being going from super short (1-2") to all-one-length shoulder length. Sooooo frustrating wanting long hair but having it super short and having to wait for tons of little layers to catch up and be one length! Second was probably waist length to bcl. That whole stretch seemed like it just. wasn't. growing. at. all. But we made it eventually :)

zanelle
March 30th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Going from "I have to trim it every 2 months" to "no scissors is one of the keys".
So, it wasn't a specific length, it was something I needed to understand, a process.Cutting and waiting for it to grow was the most frustrating for me, for sure.

lapushka
March 30th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I'm taking it slow... I'll see where it takes me. But of course, getting to the next milestone seems to take forever. :lol:

Dendra
March 30th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I've travelled from APL to BSL and am currently on the way to waist. It seems like BSL to waist is taking longer. Maybe it's because I was already APL+ when I joined.

GalaMoon
March 30th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I suspect that all my milestones will take pretty long (about a year each) since I'm on the tall side and I have a long torso. But shoulder to APL seems to take forever, maybe because it makes the transition from short hair to somewhat long(-ish) hair. But I'm trying to be cool about it and focus on a good haircare routine and protective hairstyles.

chomsky
March 30th, 2018, 11:22 AM
I don't think I've been actively growing my hair for long enough to tell which milestone takes the longest. It's only been 2 years or so.

I will say though, that accepting my hair and figuring out what works has been the longest part of my hair journey.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
March 30th, 2018, 12:16 PM
I have learnt to just ignore my hair. As waiting for my length to travel without stretching has been the longest wait due to my curls.

Rowdy
March 30th, 2018, 12:37 PM
SL to APL/ waiting for BSL. Every milestone on me from the top of my head to my waist is 6" apart except SL to APL which is a whooping 8", that was pretty painful. BSL is my happy spot so I've been pretty happy and relaxed since I got there in early 2015.

prairie lark
March 30th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I'm at tailbone and it seems like my hair is stuck there. The time it takes to classic is going to feel like it's taking forever.

divinedobbie
March 30th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Definitely getting to waist. I breezed to APL, and getting to BSL was a fun journey but this BSL to waist thing has me exasperated. I feel like I've been at it for years (I probably have).

Saige
March 30th, 2018, 03:43 PM
It's like our thighs never end...

That's for sure! They just keep going on and on!

JennGalt
March 30th, 2018, 03:54 PM
The part I'm in now: from WL to TBL. I had simply accepted that I had a really short terminal length (APL) and didn't even bother trimming. Imagine my surprise when I realized one day it was WL, two years after I began weaning myself off the flatiron. I plan to start microtrimming around TBL to thicken my hemline (to allow sufficient length for any trimming errors and so the shrinkage isn't quite so depressing on humid days). But now that TBL seems attainable, my hair seems to be taking its sweet time getting there.

vampyyri
March 30th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I'm currently maintaining at TBL with my hopes set on CL one of these days once my hemline is a bit thicker. But when I leave my hair be at TBL it just seems like it's never going to make it there! I have a lot of hiney to cover for sure :lol:

When I first joined here I was at BSL, and WL and HL were an absolute breeze as I have a short torso for my height (5'9"). Everything past HL though... shudder: