PDA

View Full Version : hair turns into rats nest once it hits collarbone!

pixistixx
February 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I posted a while back about whether or not I should get a trim, so I got an inch cut off of my severely velcro like split ends. Right now my hair is an inch below collarbone. I use 365 citrus brand to CO, and use desert essence coconut conditioner (protein/silicone free) mixed with garnier fructis triple conditioner as a 5 minute soak in afterward. After washing I use jojoba oil on the ends, shea butter, or doctor bronners hair oil, or sometimes a coney detangler, especially lately. I clarify with nutrogena anti residue every couple of weeks. No heat, comb with a wide tooth comb, put into a bun on the top of my head with claw clips to sleep, use a satin pillowcase. do not wear my hair up to work, but put it up in the afternoon until bed.

Why does my hair feel like a dry tangled rats nest all down the back of my hair????it starts at the nape of my neck, and goes all the way down... it tangles within a few minutes of combing. The sides and front do not feel or look damaged, but the back hangs in straight clumps and won't take on bun waves even. I try to baby my hair, but it looks and feels like crap! It will feel silky for a few hours after I wash it, but the next day it is so rough, tangled and matted. I want to grow it but I feel like I can't make progress past this point. It doesn't seem to be breaking off or anything, the hemline is even and thick as the rest of my hair, but it is frustrating because it only grows about 4" a year. Any small trims for me = back to square one for a long time.

Any ideas?

MissHair
February 14th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Yep, though my hair is longer than collarbone, the nape hair still gets tangled/frizzy/unmanagable when it starts growing. Two years ago I had a significant nape hairloss and even though it's growing back it's coming back like a birds nest. I dont know why. I take it it's one of those 'awkward' growing phases. I dont have a good answer for you though.

spidermom
February 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe it has to do with the texture of the material you're wearing. I get awful tangles around the neck area when I wear my hair down, but some shirts cause worse tangles than others. A smooth, silky surface is helpful.

supbanana
February 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I had this problem and somebody recommended that I try Matrix Sleek (here is the Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Sleek-Look-Shampoo-Conditioner/dp/B001AT5LEU), you can definitely get it cheaper if you shop around). It worked amazingly well - my hair was perfect and, well, sleek. Pretty sure it had to do with the dimethicone though - my hair loves this stuff in the summer and hates it in the winter.

I found that doing heavy olive oil treatments helps. Good luck, it's such a frustrating problem.

teal
February 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Maybe it has to do with the texture of the material you're wearing. I get awful tangles around the neck area when I wear my hair down, but some shirts cause worse tangles than others. A smooth, silky surface is helpful.

This. I get tangles at the nape of my neck often, especially in winter. My jacket is the main culprit. Tags are not my friends, either, and I usually cut them out of my tops. Once I left my hair up for a few days... took me over an hour to get the tangles out.