PDA

View Full Version : Source of a headache... sleep bonnet???

MamaCimino
February 14th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Hi everyone, Happy Valentine's day!
I have a question for those of you who have worn sleep bonnets to bed. I have been waking up in the morning with very painful headaches and they seem to happen more often than not when I wear a sleep bonnet to bed. I don't think it is too tight, I do end up with a indent on my forhead from it but that goes away with in the hour in the morning. I was just wondering if anyone else has had that happen to them. For now I'm going to just use a satin scarf to cover my pillow instead.

Kizuna
February 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I haven't used my sleep bonnet for so long (maybe two weeks) but I haven't had any problems. Mine's not so tight but it also leaves a little indent on my forehead that goes away quite fast.

jeanniet
February 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I've been using sleep bonnets for nearly two years now and haven't gotten headaches from them, but if yours is tight enough to leave an indent in your forehead maybe it's a bit too much. The elastic does relax in time, but you could put yours on something bigger than your head to stretch it out a little, maybe, or run it through a wash/dry cycle to loosen it up.

teal
February 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I don't wear a sleep bonnet but I have got headaches before from large elastics worn around the hairline, so I'd say maybe find a sleep bonnet that can be tied, or has a wider and flatter elastic. (Or better yet, a combination of the two!)

rock007junkie
February 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I would recommend you buying an extra-large one at a beauty suppy store. If it's indenting your forehead it's probably too tight. The bigger the bonnet is the better. Since it has an elastic it'll never be too loose.

jeanniet
February 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
You didn't say what kind of bonnet you're using, but if you have a Walgreens or Walmart near you, try a Stay-on Satin one. Those have a wide, soft band instead of elastic and they're very comfortable. I can easily get all my hair in one. Plus, they're very comfortable. They're synthetic fabric, not silk, so could get warm in summer, but since you're in Oregon that might not be a big deal if you have cool summers like we do here. They make several styles, but this is the one I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Nites-Bonnet-Sleep/dp/B003I5SC72/ref=pd_sim_bt_1

MamaCimino
February 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
You didn't say what kind of bonnet you're using, but if you have a Walgreens or Walmart near you, try a Stay-on Satin one. Those have a wide, soft band instead of elastic and they're very comfortable. I can easily get all my hair in one. Plus, they're very comfortable. They're synthetic fabric, not silk, so could get warm in summer, but since you're in Oregon that might not be a big deal if you have cool summers like we do here. They make several styles, but this is the one I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Satin-Nites-Bonnet-Sleep/dp/B003I5SC72/ref=pd_sim_bt_1

Thanks for looking for me. I think I bought this one at Sally's. it's just a plain satin one with thin elastic. Just a couple dollars, so nothing fancy. I'll have to look at those you posted and see if that will work. And yes, our summers here haven't been that terrible in the last few years, and we have a.c. so it's always nice and cool on the days that it is too hot!:cool:

mz_butterfly
February 14th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I haven't worn a sleep bonnet but I have slept with my head cocked at a weird angle and when I woke up my head was kind of numb from cutting off the circulation. I know that some headache remedies include caffeine with opens the blood vessels allowing more blood to flow, this relieving pressure. It does seem possible that the tight elastic could be causing some constriction and may be causing the headaches.

Maybe you could cut a small slit in one part of the elastic band or even one slit on opposite sides of the bonnet, allowing the elastic to still be tight but not too tight and maybe it will be a better fit. I highly dislike headaches and sometimes get them for days, I hope you find out the culprit and are able to wake up refreshed and headache free.