PDA

View Full Version : Protecting hair from sun/UV rays

Bethmc
February 14th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Besides wearing a hat, what can I do to protect my hair from the damaging UV rays of the sun- as in some kind of spray or leave in product, preferably natural and kind to very fine hair. When I put my hair up, the "front" part of my hair is a different color than the "back or bottom" part (faded looking). I used to chemically color my hair( I haven't since August of 2011 and don't intend to anymore) but this problem happened even before I colored it. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Anisaa
February 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I love jojoba oil and I read that it was a natural sun protectant as well as a terrific leave in!!

teal
February 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
You could also put a scarf on your hair. Could be more feminine than a hat, if that is important to you.

PixxieStix
February 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Avocado oil has some sun blocking properties if I remember correctly. Scarves are a lot of fun too.

EdG
February 14th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Do outdoor activities in the early morning or evening, when the sun is low in the sky or not directly shining on one's hair or skin.
Ed

Cara Heather
February 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Biolage by Matrix makes Sunorials protective hair oil

http://www.matrix.com/products/biolage/sunsorials/protective_hair_oil.aspx

I am not sure on anything else that's all natural. I have wavy/curly hair that hate humidity and a little goes along way in the summer for that. I also use it for the beach.

coneyisland
February 14th, 2012, 07:09 PM
The right hats and scarves can keep sunshine from your hair. Any hairstick buns, even if they require hairsticks for assembly in the first place, can be secured with hairpins instead so scarves and/or hats can be worn over them.

The Loreal Everpure hair care products are indicated to give some UV protection.

Miss Catrina
February 14th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Aveda also makes sun-protectant products.

hanne jensen
February 15th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Your best bet is a scarf or hat. Sun products are fine, but they only last a few hours.

Darkhorse1
February 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Has to be an SPF protected hat/scarf. I've been working outdoors for almost 20 years, and the sun is very, very unforgiving. Even up dos and piling them into a hat did not prevent my ends from discoloration. Later on, when I started getting color, I found it faded fast.

Any major salon brand will have a conditioner with SPF in it--they are laden with cones so your hair will be pretty flat, but it's worth it because it will be safer.

SPF protection in any hair item will ONLY protect COLOR TREATED HAIR. It doesn't protect hair that isn't color treated.

I also read that water will protect hair, so if I'm outdoors for a long day and it's really hot/humid, I will soak my hair and french braid it, then spray the end and twist it up. This has worked well, in combination with a hat and an SPF buff.

torrilin
February 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
A lot is going to depend on your natural color. Many women with ashy brown hair have a natural hair color that sun bleaches really really easily, and it is very ill suited to maintaining a solid hair color look. Other hair colors are less prone to sun bleaching.

On the plus side, if your hair is naturally prone to sun bleaching, your hair will resist most kinds of bleach damage.

MonaMayfair
February 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Henna protects from UV rays (not that that's any help whatsoever unless you want red hair, but it's kind of interesting!)

heidi w.
February 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
The uber long-haired that I know tend to wear a hat of some kind or a scarf entirely wrapping up the hair. A friend saw my hair after a number of years that I resided in Illinois and asked if my hair had changed color. It most certainly had, and I presume this is a function of age (hormones and genetics) plus I'm in a northern region of the U.S., and we have whole months go by without a lot of sun, as compared to California Silicon Valley standards.

And hair, as it changes color, shows in the hair closest to the scalp skin. Older hair will have light hues, usually. That's my experience anyway.

So an alternative is to move to a more northern region of the country. LOL

heidi w.

lesbia
February 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Aloe vera is an UV protector! :)

katsrevenge
February 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I use silk scarves.

beez1717
February 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
in that case, I might have to get into turbans! How silly that would look on me. LOL. It would protect my hair though. Not that I'm that worried. Well Worn hair from being in the sun and having a good time is worth it to me.