PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Scalp Washing

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hi. I've recently started doing scalp washes to try to save the length from so much detangling. I'm wondering if I need to add anything to the length in between washing it such as more leave-in or serum, or oil? Does what's on there wear off, or anything? Should I just go by how it feels?

Amber_Maiden
February 14th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I put oil in my hair after I wash it, I find it does help my hair- but then again I have dry hair.

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2012, 07:59 AM
What I meant was this - after I wash it, I have been putting a serum in it to try to help with tangles. Do I need to add more of it during the time before I wash it again?

littleizz
February 14th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I've been washing only my scalp for over a year now - any length that gets washed is just due to runoff. I've tried oiling and found that my hair just can't take that much. It gets lank and stringy very quickly. Most of the time I just water- or baking soda-wash the scalp and condition from the nape of my neck down and that's enough to keep it soft until the next time I shower. My hair is relatively curly, though.

If I feel like having it be wavier/straighter, I will use a serum after I wash and, occasionally in between washes whenever I feel like it needs a little refresh. Right now I'm using an "argan oil treatment" from DermOrganic (http://www.amazon.com/Dermorganic-Leave--Treatment-Organic-Argan/dp/B001U4Z6RM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329231634&sr=8-1) which I kind of felt conned into buying because I thought it was actual argan oil, not a cone :rolleyes: BUT, it smells great and my hair really seems to like it. So whatever works!

HintOfMint
February 14th, 2012, 08:15 AM
The problem with adding product like oil or serum on dry hair is that it is not sealing in any moisture since the hair is dry. Adding occlusive products (products that seal moisture in) over dry hair is likely to lead to crunchy ends. However, if the ends are a bit damp, then using a little bit should be fine.

However, if you're adding some sort of product that has humectants, which absorb moisture from the air, then it should be fine. However, if the air is dry, then humectants will draw moisture out of the hair and will dry out your hair even more.

MsBubbles
February 14th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I have to use the lightest oil I can find and mix it with water and mist it onto my ends. But this really only works well if I'm not planning on wearing my hair down at all. If I want to wear my hair down and have it look nice (and not like stringy rats' tails) I do a full wash with cones. Yes, I cheat, but I like it :).

The misted camellia oil + water is good for about a day and a half in updos. But eventually, especially in the winter, I have to re-apply. However, this usually means I feel like I need to wash the ends more regularly because the oil tends to attract fluff, dirt, the odd bit of dandruff, etc.

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I figured if I added more serum I would have to wet the hair first. I thought maybe brushing, fingercombing, etc. would remove some of it over time.

littleizz
February 14th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I figured if I added more serum I would have to wet the hair first. I thought maybe brushing, fingercombing, etc. would remove some of it over time.If ever I add oil or serum in between washes I put a few drops in the palm of my hand, rub them together, and lightly run my hands down the length of my hair on either side. The only difference is whether I'm curly or straight (wavy). If I'm going curly I will lightly spritz my hair with a water bottle right after to bounce some life back into the curls. If I'm going wavy/straight, I will brush with a BBB to distribute a little better.

Deborah
February 14th, 2012, 09:48 AM
You don't need to add anything to the length of your hair when you scalp-only wash, as you are not removing anything to begin with. Conditioners, serums, etc., are mostly needed to replace moisture that one removes from the hair by washing.

MsBubbles
February 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
You don't need to add anything to the length of your hair when you scalp-only wash, as you are not removing anything to begin with. Conditioners, serums, etc., are mostly needed to replace moisture that one removes from the hair by washing.

For the most part I find that to be true but the older my ends get, the more they need tending to, scalp washes or not! But you're right, there certainly is less need to oil between full washes.

heidi w.
February 14th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I am confused a bit by what you actually want to know.

Are you looking for help with detangling the hair while it's still damp?
If so, you could consider a kid's detangler spray product to help you. Be careful of detangling while the hair is fully lengthen and expanded when the hair is fully wet. Damp is better. Curly or wavy haired people need to often work with the hair while it is still damp.

Are you looking for additional moisture after a hair wash?
I would offer you oiling the hair length, damp or after fully air dried and fully detangled. Then follow with Boar Bristle Brushing to distribute the oil through the length. I would not recommend oiling scalp skin related hair. I would be careful to avoid applying stuff that stays on the hair or the scalp skin. Lots of people have scalp skin conditions that can be aggravated by topical additives.

Are you looking for softer hair?
I would recommend oiling and BBBing.

It was kind of unclear what your goal is. It's very hard to offer an opinion when I can't see what your hair is doing and what you are doing to your hair.

heidi w.

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Heidi,

I know you do scalp washes. All i wanted to know is if it was necessary to add any more oil or leave-in conditioner, or serum, or whatever to the length in between washes It seems like maybe after a few days you would need more.

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
How often do you wash the length?

For the most part I find that to be true but the older my ends get, the more they need tending to, scalp washes or not! But you're right, there certainly is less need to oil between full washes.

heidi w.
February 14th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Heidi,

I know you do scalp washes. All i wanted to know is if it was necessary to add any more oil or leave-in conditioner, or serum, or whatever to the length in between washes It seems like maybe after a few days you would need more.

I hope I can answer your question adequately. I'm about to sign off from using the wifi internet. I do not have internet at home.

I never oiled or applied anything further to hair length in the wake of a scalp hair wash because the oil I had applied, and the conditioner that I used on the last hair wash is still there.

I find that conditioner in the hair length tends to break down around the end of Week 2.

But a lot of your question depends on the type of hair you have, if it tends to be drier than say, mine. That kind of thing.

I would recommend that in winter, you consider using a humdifier in your bedroom while you sleep. That can help with skin, dry throat and dry nose problems as well as help prevent over-dryness of hair length.

Did you say you do not sleep on a satin or smooth surfaced pillowcase? I might be mixing up threads. I think I am. But sleep on a slippery pillowcase fabric; don't even sleep on cotton.

I hope this answers your question. In scalp washing, one assumes the length is not becoming wet at all; that only the scalp related hair is becoming wet.

heidi w.

MsBubbles
February 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM
How often do you wash the length?

Once every two weeks, perhaps? Depends. I don't really stick to much of a routine! In the summer with exercise sweat, and oil to protect it in a braid, etc., I probably do more full washes.

The humidifier idea that Heidi mentioned is a good one, that I keep forgetting!

twopoints
February 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM
After I do a full wash, I use mineral oil, which does not need reapplication. So I don't use anything after a scalp wash.

UP Lisa
February 15th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Thank you, Heidi. My hair does not tend to be dry. It is VERY tangly, however. Spider-web hair. Loves to stick together. Hard to separate into sections for braiding, etc.

I do use a stain pillowcase.

Lisa

I hope I can answer your question adequately. I'm about to sign off from using the wifi internet. I do not have internet at home.

I never oiled or applied anything further to hair length in the wake of a scalp hair wash because the oil I had applied, and the conditioner that I used on the last hair wash is still there.

I find that conditioner in the hair length tends to break down around the end of Week 2.

But a lot of your question depends on the type of hair you have, if it tends to be drier than say, mine. That kind of thing.

I would recommend that in winter, you consider using a humdifier in your bedroom while you sleep. That can help with skin, dry throat and dry nose problems as well as help prevent over-dryness of hair length.

Did you say you do not sleep on a satin or smooth surfaced pillowcase? I might be mixing up threads. I think I am. But sleep on a slippery pillowcase fabric; don't even sleep on cotton.

I hope this answers your question. In scalp washing, one assumes the length is not becoming wet at all; that only the scalp related hair is becoming wet.

heidi w.

Mai Gloeckchen
February 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
I scalpwash almost daily and wash completely one a week.

Whenever my lengths feel a bit dry, I use aloeveragel and broccoliseedoil. My hair loves that, it is very good for me to moisture them between the complete washes but I have to be careful with the amount of oil I add. Only a few drops. You have to experiment a bit with how much you need.

UP Lisa
February 15th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I haven't yet mastered the technique of not getting the length wet when I scalp wash. Is there a trick to that?