PDA

View Full Version : Hair "Rules" That You Know Can Be Broken

Quixii
February 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I was just thinking about this today. Society/life/wive's tales or whatever have so many "rules" or expectations of the right way to deal with things like hair. We have a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83202) for bad hair advice we've heard over the years and such, but what about rules that we might even agree with that we now know can be broken?

Like, curly hair can't look good short. This always conjures images in my mind of triangle head and highly variable success. But I have a friend who recently cut her 3b/3c curls to about half and inch on the sides and 1-3" on the top, and she rocks it! I never ever would have that that style would look good.
And I'm pretty sure I've heard that curly hair can't (shouldn't?) grow long. But I'd like to think I rock that look. 8)

Any others?

lolot
February 13th, 2012, 09:13 PM
i cant think of a rule, but about what you say about curly hair, i love curly short hair, it look awesome, i have seen some girls that have dare to cut it and they look amazing, also they stand out because curly girls tend to grow their hair long, and both look fine but when i saw this girls i tough damn if my hair was like that i would love to have that haircut
im going to think in a rule right now :P

ravenheather
February 13th, 2012, 09:14 PM
How about thin hair shouldn't be grown long? I've always been told this. There are plenty of people on here that prove that wrong. Come to think of it, who is supposed to be able to wear long hair?

pepperminttea
February 13th, 2012, 09:15 PM
"Frizz is bad." The 80s would disagree. :p It's just fashion.

Seeshami
February 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM
That red will always bleed out. Naysayers I would like to introduce you to henna, henna I would like you to get out of my hair. :p Silly dramatic changes in heart. 22 years wanted to be a red head and now I'm all obsessive about getting my normal color back.

CariadA
February 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
This doesn't affect me yet, but all the stories of older women being told that they shouldn't keep their hair long are so ridiculous.

Almost every makeover show makes anyone with long hair cut it. They always have a reason as to why that specific person or that type of person shouldn't have long hair. So much of the fashion industry is against long natural hair. Now if they're long extensions, it's perfectly acceptable.:rolleyes:

I was just thinking about this today. Society/life/wive's tales or whatever have so many "rules" or expectations of the right way to deal with things like hair. We have a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83202) for bad hair advice we've heard over the years and such, but what about rules that we might even agree with that we now know can be broken?

Like, curly hair can't look good short. This always conjures images in my mind of triangle head and highly variable success. But I have a friend who recently cut her 3b/3c curls to about half and inch on the sides and 1-3" on the top, and she rocks it! I never ever would have that that style would look good.
And I'm pretty sure I've heard that curly hair can't (shouldn't?) grow long. But I'd like to think I rock that look. 8)

Any others?

Yeah, you definitely make any "rules" about curly hair not growing long seem completely stupid. You totally rock long curly hair. I haven't heard anything about curlies not growing long, but we only tend to hear rules about our own hair type.

How about thin hair shouldn't be grown long? I've always been told this. There are plenty of people on here that prove that wrong. Come to think of it, who is supposed to be able to wear long hair?

Exactly. Every hair type probably has a reason they're not supposed to grow their hair long. My thin hair could still improve a lot, but I've seen lots of inspirational pictures here of others with beautiful thin hair that looks great long.

pepperminttea
February 13th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Almost every makeover show makes anyone with long hair cut it. They always have a reason as to why that specific person or that type of person shouldn't have long hair. So much of the fashion industry is against long natural hair. Now if they're long extensions, it's perfectly acceptable.:rolleyes:

I agree, but with makeover shows in particular, they're going for a big audience-gasp-inducing change. A lot of the time that's a significant haircut and hair colour change. They do it for the ratings. :shrug:

kidari
February 14th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I don't understand why they say women of a certain age should cut their hair. I think it makes you look more youthful to keep your hair longer/it ages you to cut it really short (and perm it is even worse).

Tota
February 14th, 2012, 02:54 AM
One rule I can think of is that you need to cut baby's/small child's hair short to thicken it and make it stronger. My grandmother and mother are strong believers and this is the reason I had to have short hair for the most of my childhood. I don't believe it a bit.

The other rule I heard from a friend who was also told this by his parents: you shouldn't cut your baby's hair until it's at least one year old. He didn't know the reason for this but is also a strong believer.

ylime
February 14th, 2012, 03:12 AM
i rekcon a rule that still exists is "guys shouldn't have their hair long" because it looks "messy" and "unkempt"
i have seen many guys out there rocking the long locks!! and they all look fabulous :D

EtherealDoll
February 14th, 2012, 03:13 AM

I was told the opposite - that I shouldn't grow my hair long because it's thick and it would be impossible to deal with. But it's much easier for me to deal with it now than when it was short.
The other rule I heard is that you have to trim your hair every month or it will start growing very slowly. And I know that it's not true for many people.

CurlyMopTop
February 14th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Rule 1: Short hair styles are easier to deal with. (Ha, definitely not mine!)
Rule 2: I have been told by hairdressers that my hair is too thin and fine to grow long (I have a 3 inch pony thank you very much).
Rule 3: 100 brush strokes a day for healthy hair. (Not for this curly!)

Moonlake
February 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Moonlake
February 14th, 2012, 06:14 AM

wicked kisses
February 14th, 2012, 06:20 AM
From an award winning stylist: "Your hair is so thick it will always have to have a lot of layers".

That is... lots of little layers to blow in the wind or need products in my hair to control the style. I prefer no styling products in my hair at all. I really didn't like the halo of shorter hairs around my head in a breeze. :blossom:

ETA: I later met a stylist at a nice department store who said he was trained to talk a long-haired client into getting a short hair cut. Also he was told to talk a short haired client into growing her hair into a long style with the suggestion that he would do frequent trims to help her grow her style out gracefully. This training was aimed at increasing profits by keeping the client's hairstyle in a constant state of change. This stylist had the morals not to do that to me. :blossom:

This explains the fact that every single time I've had a pro cut/trim my hair, but one, cut it in feathered layers.

One rule I've broken is 'Fat girls shouldn't have long hair'.
The other one: Mature women shouldn't wear 'punky' styles.

Amber_Maiden
February 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM
That thick hair needs to be thinned or have layers added in to look good. NO, it does not.

Anje
February 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM
How about that people who ever in their life had blond hair need to bleach their hair within an inch of its life? Dark blond hair is gorgeous too!

InkBones
February 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I can't express how much I agree on the fact that men SHOULD wear their hair long if they so wish. My heart skips a beat just thinking about it! Also, with my waves and wurls, I won't go within five feet of a brush. Also, I no longer have any faith in stylists whatsoever :My hair is going to grow long, and you will NOT be putting any layers on me. Don't even think of coming near me with that straightener! You can make as many grotesque faces at my length goals as you want, but my hair will be hip length, and there's nothing your famous butchering self can do about it!

Glorylocks
February 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Some of the hair rules that I've personally broken (and that have been mentioned above) is that long hair is harder to take care of then short hair. The longer my hair gets the easier it gets to take care of. I have to baby the ends a little but I don't have to spend hours in front of a mirror trying my hardest to make it look "decent" like I did when my hair was shorter. My older sister got her hair cut SUPER short because she wanted a "Mommy" hairstyle that would be easy to take care of. Not only does she HAVE to wash her hair every day she also has to blowdry and straighten, and flip the ends out with a curling iron every single day. Another hair "rule" that I've broken is that layers make your hair look nicer and give it more volume. First off how would layers even give your hair more volume?:confused: Secondly layers may look nice on some, but not when you have unpredictable waves like me. They just make it look like you got a REALLY bad haircut.:p

Elphaeba
February 14th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I can't express how much I agree on the fact that men SHOULD wear their hair long if they so wish. My heart skips a beat just thinking about it! Also, with my waves and wurls, I won't go within five feet of a brush. Also, I no longer have any faith in stylists whatsoever :My hair is going to grow long, and you will NOT be putting any layers on me. Don't even think of coming near me with that straightener! You can make as many grotesque faces at my length goals as you want, but my hair will be hip length, and there's nothing your famous butchering self can do about it!
I agree. No hairbrushes for me unless I want REALLY REALLY BIG FLUFFY HAIR!!!

Danae
February 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Oh yes, when you are older than 40 long hair seems to be completely forbidden.

Haha, now I am 41 and my hair won't stop growing. It has now waist-length and I love it exactely the way it is (ok, I cannot accept my first white hairs yet. But I will do as soon as there is a complete strand and not only single white hairs).

Also forbidden with 41: Two braids (one left one right). I also don't care about this "rule". I don't look childish, when I wear my hair like that. So What :).

JesusFreak88
February 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I don't know if it is a rule but I recently told someone I was still growing out my hair because there are styles that I still can't do with classic length hair and they said that I could do more style with mid-back length hair than with mid thigh (which is my goal) I can adapt styles to fit my longer hair better than I can for not having long enough hair.

dwell_in_safety
February 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
That it is impossible to create curls from frizz without products or heat.

ludwig20
February 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM
That thick hair needs to be thinned or have layers added in to look good. NO, it does not.

Yes! You've just described all of my hair salon experiences.

twopoints
February 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM
One rule I can think of is that you need to cut baby's/small child's hair short to thicken it and make it stronger. My grandmother and mother are strong believers and this is the reason I had to have short hair for the most of my childhood. I don't believe it a bit.

The other rule I heard from a friend who was also told this by his parents: you shouldn't cut your baby's hair until it's at least one year old. He didn't know the reason for this but is also a strong believer.

My grandpa has a similar belief and thinks that babies should have their head shaved so their hair can grow; although, it seems more like a tradition than a serious belief. He shaved my head and my mother's head but it doesn't really matter for babies as the fine hair they are born with fall out anyway.

young&reckless
February 14th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Short people shouldn't have long hair, because it will over take them.

Bah! So I am a pint sized repunzel, less time to milestones :bunny:

MandyBeth
February 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Oh, any rule can be broken by any person. My mom has the cat fine hair that I do, but it is ultra thin. It does not look good long at all. So she rocks an ultra short pixie that she dyes random colors. Not bad for retirement age approaching!

ttverdy
February 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM

This!!!

I have had SO many stylists thin my hair when I was younger. The shorter hairs would just curl up and add MORE frizz, and a poofier style. Thinning shears are awful to curlies or wurlies. Especially us coarse ones! My hair will literally stick straight up. No product can weigh it down. The only solution for me is for my hair to be long, so it can weigh itself down. Sheesh. :)

BlazingHeart
February 14th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Growing out has to be awkward.

With my waves and thickness, there was very little in the way of awkward stages going from about 2" long to hip. Matter of fact, I LOVED (and got tons of complements on) the pageboy/wedge that resulted from my hair growing out untouched from the 2" long cut.

~Blaze

KwaveT
February 14th, 2012, 08:19 PM
i rekcon a rule that still exists is "guys shouldn't have their hair long" because it looks "messy" and "unkempt"
i have seen many guys out there rocking the long locks!! and they all look fabulous :D

Sounds exactly like what I deal with from my mother. She tells my that my hairy looks messy and chaotic. That hair is suppose to look neat. She tries to get me to push my side hair behind the ears to hide the length. I like my hair loose since it allows my natural wave to come out. It will look neater once it gains enough length to weigh it down some. That takes time. I am just short of a year into my growth journey. I don't think my hair is long. It has just barely got to the shoulder and to the bottom of face on my sides..

Littlewing13
February 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Hehe yeah had a "top hairdresser" do a demo for these things called "mycurl" we were supposed to sell in the salon. We were supposed to use them on each other. He wouldn't let me try them in my hair 'cause he said it was too short for curls. This was a rare day that I'd straightened it, I usually wore it curly & rocked it. I love me a white gal 'fro! :D

I hate the whole oooh we gotta cover our grays! & old ladies should cut their hair. I see plenty of gorgeous long renegray locks here that make me totally envious!

Also "you must shampoo twice always" Thats what I was taught in the salon. Now I condition only except for once a week I use sulfate free shampoo. once. lol

Kirin
February 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM
All hair rules can be broken.

You want to bleach it, I say go for it. You want a buzz cut, again, have at it. You want it long, washed daily, never washed, oiled, no oil, petroleum based product, hairspray, teased, rat-combed, natural fro, long thin fine transparent, orange, bubblegum pink.....

Its all okay by me. You can have lovely hair. You can have fabulous hair. Its never a one size fits all proposition.

I've seen every hair "rule" in the book broken (usually by me ha!), and it is always just fine.

Buffy
February 15th, 2012, 01:27 AM
ALL hair rules can be broken!!!!!!

The living proof is my best friend, who:

*dyes her hair,
*washes it everyday,
*doesn't apply conditioner (only once a month)
* nor any other kind of hair treatment,
*streightens it with a flat iron every single day ,
* teases it,
*brushes it with a petal brush while wet

Yet she has the most AMAZING hair i've ever seen!Literally!! Amazingly shiny, full, voluminous, soft, healthy, no dryness, no split ends........ i hate her!!! Hahahaha! :p

pink.sara
February 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM
This explains the fact that every single time I've had a pro cut/trim my hair, but one, cut it in feathered layers.

One rule I've broken is 'Fat girls shouldn't have long hair'.
The other one: Mature women shouldn't wear 'punky' styles.

Love it, I'm breaking both of these at once ;)

Kizuna
February 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
How about that people who ever in their life had blond hair need to bleach their hair within an inch of its life? Dark blond hair is gorgeous too!

THIS!
Why on earth would I have to bleach my hair when it turns darker to still be able to classify it as blond? It's still blond, it's just darker! It's almost like it's a rule here. Almost everybody that has blond hair when they are kids start to bleach it as soon as they hit teenage (cause that's when it turns darker). Just because I don't bleach doesn't mean my hair is not blond. It's original blond!

heidi w.
February 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I don't understand why they say women of a certain age should cut their hair. I think it makes you look more youthful to keep your hair longer/it ages you to cut it really short (and perm it is even worse).

I've seen both sides of the coin: where older women appeared younger looking with longer hair; and older women looking better and appearing younger with shorter hair. It just depends on one's face, and how the faces shows age, seems to me. I'm about to be 52, and most would never come close to guessing I'm at this age now.

Alternatively and in all truth, I do not look my best in super long hair. But it's what I prefer, so here it is and will be until I should ever change my mind.

heidi w.

luxepiggy
February 15th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I always wanted blue-black hair, but people kept saying it would age me and look really harsh, flat or unnatural. When I finally decided to go for it anyway, I discovered exactly the opposite! Blue-black really complements my complexion and ironically looks more natural than my natural colour (^(oo)^)v

beez1717
February 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I agree that short hair isn't as easy for me to deal with unless it's really really short. I brush it out and shampoo it and that's that. With short hair it's brush it out of my eyes, and then do it again, and again, and again...... Darn. I can't put it up into anything yet......... *pushes hair out of eyes again* LOL

PianoPlaye
February 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM
This "oh thin hair shouldn't be long" rule.
Sock it. I have waist length thin hair, but the enforcers don't realise as I wear it up in a braid at work. ;) Out amidst the reenactors, with someone else on knife & fire details, I turn it loose & people gawk. However, there are other lassies with lovelier hair than mine & I'm the go-to on herb-lore, which often includes flame & knives, :stirpot: so I braid & cap it a lot.
And Mummy cuts mean the little ones don't use your braid to learn to stand up. I'd hate to miss that - nappies & tassel tickles are quality long hair mummy time!

Tisiloves
March 4th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Dying makes your hair colour look unnatural. Ha. With my dark eyebrows the black hair dye looked far more natural than my auburn/ginger mess.

jacqueline101
March 4th, 2012, 03:10 AM
I think the best one is its too much of a bother to have extremely long hair. Its best on teenagers and younger women.

melusine963
March 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM
"Hair tapering means it's damaged. You should cut it."

TooShort
March 4th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I would have to say that my mom swears that her fine thin hair can not be grown long... um mom..my hair is fine and thin and it has been BSL before granted with a perm but I am going to prove her wrong and let my hair grow out naturally grays, thin and stick straight just to prove her wrong. HEHEHE it is the rebel in me.

dragaica
March 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM
This!!!

I have had SO many stylists thin my hair when I was younger. The shorter hairs would just curl up and add MORE frizz, and a poofier style. Thinning shears are awful to curlies or wurlies. Especially us coarse ones! My hair will literally stick straight up. No product can weigh it down. The only solution for me is for my hair to be long, so it can weigh itself down. Sheesh. :)
EXACLY....
I hate hair dressers for that I had a similar experience. Even when I find a glorious hair dresser - I was complaining that my hair is frizzy, and don't find it's shape - she gave me the world WRONG remedy - layers " to ease up the hair" - a complete fiasco.
another stupid idea - curly hair looks good only in layers - but I have big curls, and my hair looks better, since I find LHC, and minimize my layers....

SakuraGirl
March 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Thin hair shouldnt be grown long
Long hair is for younger women
Layers makes your hair look thicker (yeah I fell for that one, been growing them out ever since)
You can't get red hair dye to stay red - it fades too quickly
Men shouldnt have hair past their collar bone (Why?)

etc etc etc SIGH

blondie9912
March 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Layers make your hair look thicker. They may give it volume when your hair is nicely blow dried from the salon, but the illusion doesn't last

sfgirl
March 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Layers make your hair look thicker. They may give it volume when your hair is nicely blow dried from the salon, but the illusion doesn't last

That's so true. I just end up with even thinner hair on the bottom.

Safira
March 5th, 2012, 07:18 AM
When I was young, my hairdresser told me I should never grow my hair, because curly/wavy hair should not be long --> it would look terrible.

Edit: Messed up with cutting and growing.

Rocky
May 1st, 2012, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie9912 View Post

That's so true. I just end up with even thinner hair on the bottom.

Exactly what happened to me too! Now I'm stuck with growing them out.

Becky Safari
May 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
I will always argue that long hair is for ALL ages! There's something about long silver hair that is just magical.

henné
May 1st, 2012, 02:07 PM
Those 'rules' are all really just opinions :)

ladylowtide
May 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Layers make thin hair look thick :mad: I agree with what was said before, just makes the ends look even worse :(

My favorite: men can't have long hair! My fiancee has APL 1c/m/iii brown hair and he looks handsome and presentable. He works as server in the front of a restaurant and he always gets great tips because the ladies think he looks dreamy :p

Hair that is neither cut and styled, nor dyed looks bad and unkempt? I think there are many lhc ladies who bust that rule right in half!

3azza
May 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Long hair should be cut in summer because it gives extra heat. Adaptation?

earthnut
May 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I must use shampoo, I can't cut my hair myself, short hair is easier to care for, I cannot have gray hair under 40.

Baloney!

FmrFlyGrl
May 1st, 2012, 03:35 PM
Worst rule I've heard is that you have to cut your hair when you reach that "certain age" or have children. If your hair looks good long, wear it long, no matter your age. If it doesn't look good long, but you WANT it long, wear it long.
Short hair for women became stylish relatively recently. It is a money-maker.
:scissors::scissors:

2nd biggest rule/myth is that it is harder to care for long hair. My hair required at least 1/2 hour styling every morning when it was short. Now I brush it and either put it up or not, and go. 2 minutes, max. It may take 30 seconds longer to rinse out the shampoo, but I only do that 2X a week since the long hair doesn't get weighed down as quickly by natural oils.

long&blonde
May 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
I've dyed my hair myself from 15 to 54,at least once a month. And have never used gloves on my hands yet.

racrane
May 1st, 2012, 04:31 PM
I read this whole thread and I agree with pretty much everyone. :)

The one that drives me the most is that people are telling me to cut my hair now that I'm going to be a mom... It's waaaay easier for me to put my hair up in a bun than it is to deal with short hair. I hate having to straighten my hair to avoid that triangle puff I would get with short hair. When it's long, it's so easy to take care of. :) And when I tell people that, they don't believe me!

Mesmerise
May 1st, 2012, 04:35 PM
I am always mystified by those who say women shouldn't have long hair when they're older. Or long hair "ages you". Umm nope... it doesn't. There are women who I intellectually know are older, but whose long hair just makes them appear more youthful (and I'll almost always underestimate the age of an older woman with longer hair). It doesn't matter how wrinkled/lined her face is, either. To me, the long hair just seems to take years off. It also doesn't matter whether the hair is naturally gray or is dyed.

I'm pretty sure most so-called "hair rules" can be safely broken with impunity! Really people should be able to wear their hair however the heck they want to!

MagicalMystery
May 1st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Curly girls can definitely have short hair. ;)

lolot
May 1st, 2012, 08:43 PM
men with long hair are metal guys or gays

PurplePenguin
May 2nd, 2012, 12:19 AM
men with long hair are metal guys or gays

Or hippies lol.

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Just because your older does not mean you have to have short hair. Also you do not have to keep dyeing it either. When the dye is all gone, white vinegar sprayed on your hair makes it silver.

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
What I meant was if you have grey hair after they dye is gone, you can spray white vinegar
on grey hair. The vinegar has made my hair silver.

Natalia
May 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
you have to wash (meaning s&c) your hair everyday or youll clog your pores and the hair will fall out.

ive been wo for plenty over a year i still have my hair ;)

CurlyCurves
February 9th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Not trimming your hair every 4-6 weeks. SIGH.

neko_kawaii
February 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Long hair makes women look more feminine. *snort* I have an incredibly feminine bald head, thank you very much.

lydiajo
February 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I was told when I turned 40 that I should cut my hair. When I turned 60 my family just shook their heads.
When I was pregnant with dd I was told she would pull my hair and get her fingers stuck in it...didn't happen.
Of course I don't tend to follow rules. DD (thanks to donor eggs, IVF and the Jones Institute) was born when I was 48.

rowie
February 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
That all "Asian people" in general have straight hair. This is a stigma that used to make me not want to grow my hair, but LHC has taught me to embrace my natural hair texture because there are so many people on here that show how beautiful it really is, and I've learned to be more of an individual.

Sharysa
February 9th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Short people shouldn't have long hair, because it will over take them.

Bah! So I am a pint sized repunzel, less time to milestones

Indeed. And try saying "short people shouldn't have long hair" to all the Asian cultures that loved long hair as much as Europe.

That all "Asian people" in general have straight hair. This is a stigma that used to make me not want to grow my hair, but LHC has taught me to embrace my natural hair texture because there are so many people on here that show how beautiful it really is, and I've learned to be more of an individual.

It's not a STIGMA, it's just a stereotype that only a few Asians actually fit. Some people are still amazed that Asians can get dark.

As for Asians, I've noticed a trend where lots of girls dye their hair brown because "plain black hair is boring." It's not boring, it's just that details are hard to see on black hair. And a lot of people either don't know what to do with long black hair or don't keep their hair long enough to do anything with it.

I've also noticed that naturally wavy/curly hair tends to equal "unmanageable" to people, but when I straightened my hair in high school, a few hairs out of place or a messy part just ruined my look, but having wavy hair is MUCH less of a problem because it's more adaptable.

I still envy people with a perfect sheet of hair, though. *lol, grass is greener*

rowie
February 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Indeed. And try saying "short people shouldn't have long hair" to all the Asian cultures that loved long hair as much as Europe.

It's not a STIGMA, it's just a stereotype that only a few Asians actually fit. Some people are still amazed that Asians can get dark.

As for Asians, I've noticed a trend where lots of girls dye their hair brown because "plain black hair is boring." It's not boring, it's just that details are hard to see on black hair. And a lot of people either don't know what to do with long black hair or don't keep their hair long enough to do anything with it.

I've also noticed that naturally wavy/curly hair tends to equal "unmanageable" to people, but when I straightened my hair in high school, a few hairs out of place or a messy part just ruined my look, but having wavy hair is MUCH less of a problem because it's more adaptable.

I still envy people with a perfect sheet of hair, though. *lol, grass is greener*

I guess in a way it has become more of a stigma for me personally because i've gotten responses from people like "really, your Asian, then why is your hair not straight?"

Yes I agree with you with the whole brown hair or sometimes blond highlights or lighter highlights trends. But that has been a trend for so long, like skin bleaching as well. I ask one of my friend why she lightens her hair or skin and she would say "I don't want to feel chinky."

Straight hair can also be unmanageable because if you wear it loose it can easily tangle, worse have a strong wind blow it all of a sudden. Also i've noticed that people with layers will have buns that have hairs sticking out everywhere.

owlathena
February 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
This has already been mentioned, but the whole cutting your hair when you have a kid thing. I keep getting asked if I'm going to cut my hair when my baby is born. I say, "No, why would I?" and the answer is always "Because its easier to manage short hair" or "Because you'll be too busy for long hair." Erm, what?!

katiebeans
February 9th, 2013, 06:30 PM
@owlathena good for you! I hear the cutting-hair-when-you-have-kids thing all the time and shake my head everytime. I respect woman who do find short hair easier to manage when they get older or have children, but it certainly isn't some requirement. But who knows, maybe they're onto something :p

Mentioned already, but the whole lather, rinse, repeat thing. My mother told me that for ages and did not approve when I decided to only shampoo once lol. I don't think there is any reason to deposit all of the ingredients that are in your shampoo onto your hair more than once during one wash.

Sharysa
February 9th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Yes I agree with you with the whole brown hair or sometimes blond highlights or lighter highlights trends. But that has been a trend for so long, like skin bleaching as well. I ask one of my friend why she lightens her hair or skin and she would say "I don't want to feel chinky."

Yeah, that's probably a factor as well. ALL of my female co-workers, my boss, my niece, and my niece's mother have dyed their hair very similar shades of brown. And they also tend to straighten their hair and get layers cut in it.

It makes them look boring.

MonaMayfair
February 10th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Actually I think ALL rules, whether hair or fashion related are ridiculous, because everyone is so different (some people DO find this hair easier to deal with if it's short, mine is way easier when it's long) Some people DO look younger with short hair, other look younger with long hair, you can't generalize.
I do also think the LHC "rules" are made to be broken too. The only thing I've ever read on here that suits MY hair is to comb it very gently, starting at the bottom, and I've done that since I was old enough to do my own hair anyway.

katiebeans
February 10th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Actually I think ALL rules, whether hair or fashion related are ridiculous, because everyone is so different (some people DO find this hair easier to deal with if it's short, mine is way easier when it's long) Some people DO look younger with short hair, other look younger with long hair, you can't generalize.

That's a very good point, I agree.

hanne jensen
February 10th, 2013, 12:26 PM
All my life hairdressers all over the world have told me that I can't have long hair as it's so fine. Well, I'm 53 and have waist length hair that just keeps growing. I have this hair thanks to the LHC.